PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Homebrew Cloak of Transfiguration

Falcon X
2021-03-17, 09:19 PM
Thoughts on if this is a good idea?

So, I know any item that allows a second spell to be concentrated on is frowned upon, but I think I've limited this one enough to be viable.
The goal is to have an item with power just underneath Robe of the Archmagi, ultimately with the goal of giving higher AC and some added fun.
Note: I intend to give specific homebrew spells to enable him to take the form of a wight, were-wolf, and a few other monstrous humanoids.

Cloak of Transfiguration
(wondrous item, robe)
Requires attunement by a Wizard, Sorcerer, Bard, or Warlock

This sentient cloak was created by a master transmuter to enable him to concentrate on other spells while holding his chosen form. The cloak's intelligence, however, proved somewhat unruly.

While donning this robe, if the caster casts a transmutation spell on themself of 7th level or lower, the cloak takes on the concentration of the spell and can hold it indefinitely. If the spell turns the caster into a different type of creature, the caster's HP becomes that of the new creature. However, if the caster's HP reaches 0, they do not revert back to their original form and instead proceeds with death saving throws as if they were in their original form. If the cloak is removed or otherwise dispelled, the caster returns to their original form, and their HP is either the amount the caster had at the time the spell is cast, or the amount the transmuted form had remaining, whichever is lower.

If the spell cast turns the caster into a new form, they must immediately make an intelligence saving throw equal to their own save DC or take on personality traits of the chosen form, to be determined by the Dungeon Master.

Following a round where the caster takes damage, the caster must make an intelligence saving throw against their own save DC. On a failure, the robe's intelligence takes control of their body and acts as it sees fit based on it's personality. The caster may make saving throws at the beginning of each of their turns to regain control. However, each failure increases the save DC by 1. This effect may be ended with a use of Dispel Magic, Remove Curse, or removing the robe from the caster.

ProsecutorGodot
2021-03-17, 10:50 PM
A few notes:
-Sentient Items typically have stats, I wouldn't force the Spellcaster to compete using their own intelligence score but instead give the Robe a set of mental ability scores to go with its apparent intelligence and personality. Also consider using the conflict rules in the DMG for when the Cloak wins the contested check.
-It's strange that this is considered Light Armor. If your Wizard or Sorcerer hasn't gained proficiency with Light Armor through some method, they can't even cast spells while wearing this robe.
-It's considered light armor, but robes are not an existing type of light armor and as such it has no AC value.
-This seems very specifically meant to go along with spells that change you into another form but that's not all the Transmutation spell school does. You can use the concentration spells that don't change your form and suffer none of the transformation based penalties.
-When you say "indefinitely" do you mean "for the spells duration" or does this become a permanent effect? This could cause some problems with spells like Animate Objects, Fly or Haste to name a few.
-The domination effect is meant have a chance to happen at any time the caster takes damage and note just when they take damage? And it has a snowballing effect?
-They take on the HP of a creature they transform into permanently? All they have to do is remove the cloak after transforming into an incredibly high hit point creature.

It needs some work, I'd probably work on clarification of what the intended abilities are first and then start trimming a bit.

Falcon X
2021-03-18, 10:41 PM
Good notes, all of them. The sentience thing was somewhat of an afterthought I had, reminiscent of the 3.5 binder. I値l consider removing it altogether, but I値l play with it some more.

The light armor thing came from an editing error. Forget I did it. [changed]

Indeed, while it has clarifications for transforming into other creatures, I do intend it to be usable with other types of spells (mage armor, bark skin, etc.)
I can see problems with it when it comes to spells like Meld With Stone. Then it just gets complicated.
I値l think on some clarifications or downsizing.

HP note. Good catch. I didn稚 think about using it to heal or raise the maximum. I値l change the wording to make it clear. [changed]

That all said, you can see the spirit of the item I知 trying to create. Do you think it is worthwhile?