PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next 6th-Level Spell for Tactical Teleports

pwykersotz
2021-03-18, 01:19 AM
I'm creating a custom 6th level spell for my 5e Warlock. The GM has greenlit my idea (and the spell as written), but I'm curious what the playground thinks about balance. How many teleports is the right number here? Going based off of Scatter, that's a 120' teleport that can affect enemies, but player teleports are arguably more impactful. Given that it can impact up to 5 targets, as written that's up to 15 Misty Steps for a 6th level spell. Which admittedly seems high. And while it does no damage, it enables it by giving powerful positioning tools. But that might also be overselling it, I'm not sure.

Jin's Rapid Jaunts
6th-level conjuration
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 30 feet
Components: V
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
You speak a word of Auran, and a thin mist appears around the feet of you and your allies.
You imbue up to 5 creatures around you within range with the magic of elemental air. They gain the ability to Misty Step (teleport up to 30ft to a space they can see as a bonus action) up to 3 times for the duration.

Thoughts?

MrStabby
2021-03-18, 12:09 PM
So the ability "to misty step" - is it the ability to teleport as the description in Misty Step or is it the ability to cast the spell? I.e. if you cast this spell can you misty step on the same turn? Can an ally misty step and cast other spells?

So all in all I wouldn't call this overpowered.

For a level six spell slot you could broadly expect to cast fly on your party so for a pure mobility spell it is underwhelming (I get it is mainly tactical but ticking off the bases)

It is a warlock spell so it will use your only level 6 arcanum; if it isn't useful the whole ability is wasted - not like you can upacst anything else. This also means it is somewhat weak,

It is concentration - this is a big deal as it stops everything else you might want to do beyond damage (a bit of an exageration but lets not undersell the commitment here)

It is just one minute - so to get good value out of it everyone needs to want to misty step, at the same time and to do so repeatedly.

At level 6 I would expect more enemies to be beyond the "horde of melee enemies shambling towards you with no spells or ranged attacks" so even when it is useful it won't be over the top

When you really need to teleport somewhere it is often because you are seperated - you need to reach someone to heal them, you need to get somewhere you couldnt just dash to... if that is the case then at least one person in your party won't be getting the benefits of this spell

On the plus side... well if everyone in the party is high enough charisma it becomes a decent answer to force cage... but that is very specific.

Honestly, for the investment of a level 6 incarnum I would be looking for more. Drop concentration, make it last for an hour rather than 1 minute and I still think it would be fine.

pwykersotz
2021-03-18, 12:40 PM
So the ability "to misty step" - is it the ability to teleport as the description in Misty Step or is it the ability to cast the spell? I.e. if you cast this spell can you misty step on the same turn? Can an ally misty step and cast other spells?

When you really need to teleport somewhere it is often because you are seperated - you need to reach someone to heal them, you need to get somewhere you couldnt just dash to... if that is the case then at least one person in your party won't be getting the benefits of this spell

Honestly, for the investment of a level 6 incarnum I would be looking for more. Drop concentration, make it last for an hour rather than 1 minute and I still think it would be fine.

I appreciate the comprehensive feedback.

It's the ability to use the spell description as a bonus action, not casting the spell. So you could use the teleport immediately after casting this. I think you bring up an excellent point about the range. I'll see about increasing it to 60'. Regarding concentration, that one was put on by my GM. But he also suggested a longer duration, so maybe I'll see what an hour looks like.

BerzerkerUnit
2021-03-18, 08:16 PM
I might give it an expensive material component and let it be one of those "indefinite till you need it" effects.

Here's my spin, feel free to ignore if you want to lean harder in your direction.

Jin's Jaunting Gems
6th level Transmutation
Casting time: 1 minute
Components: V, M (1 to 6 100gp sapphires)

When you cast this spell it enchants the sapphires with powerful Transmutation magic. A Creature carrying one or more of the gems can use a bonus action to teleport up to 30 feet at which point the gem loses its magic.

At higher levels: When you cast the spell with a spell slot of 7th level or higher, you can enchant an additional sapphire for each additional level of the slot to a maximum of 9.

pwykersotz
2021-03-18, 10:06 PM
I might give it an expensive material component and let it be one of those "indefinite till you need it" effects.

Here's my spin, feel free to ignore if you want to lean harder in your direction.

Jin's Jaunting Gems
6th level Transmutation
Casting time: 1 minute
Components: V, M (1 to 6 100gp sapphires)

When you cast this spell it enchants the sapphires with powerful Transmutation magic. A Creature carrying one or more of the gems can use a bonus action to teleport up to 30 feet at which point the gem loses its magic.

At higher levels: When you cast the spell with a spell slot of 7th level or higher, you can enchant an additional sapphire for each additional level of the slot to a maximum of 9.

That's a really cool idea. I'll play around with that. Thank you!