PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Genie Warlock: Dao, & Fighter: Rune Knights?

Citadel97501
2021-03-18, 04:49 AM
Hello all, I was just wondering if anyone else has thought of combining these 2 sub-classes for a powerful caster/tank type character? I understand that not a lot of people think caster with a Rune Knight, but my thought was that the runes are the equivalent to warlock spell slots, as most are recharged by short rests and you get 2 at 3rd level and even more at higher levels.

I haven't went very deep into the build, such as a full spell or feat selection these were mainly just initial concepts.

Build comes online at level 6
Race: Any of the normally good races for Warlock's such as Half-Elf, or Dwarf. Genasi is also an excellent idea for RP.
Class 1: 3 Rune Knight: Stone & Cloud Runes, eventually Storm Runes.
Class 2: 3 Genie Warlock - Dao: Grasp of Hadar, Repelling Blast, Eldritch Mind (These will work extremely well with the Spike Growth...)
-Pact: Any of them, although Blade or Talisman makes the most sense to me.
Class Advancement: +4 to Rune Knight, then the rest into Warlock...

Feats: Likely going to need a lot more attributes due to 2 spell save DC's, other than that Polearm Mastery + Crusher would fit in with the playstyle. Crusher is even better than you think due to the Genie's Wrath from Dao adding bludgeoning damage to always let you trigger it even off of Eldritch Blasts as it doesn't say "weapon attack".

Pro's:
All the benefits of a shield & spear/staff fighter namely great armor class along with a high control playstyle using forced movement from pushes, eldritch blasts, Stone Rune hypnosis, and attack redirection. If you run out of spells or want more action, grow larger and use your spike proceed to stab & bash enemies. You can do multiple things every round, with bonus actions, reactions, and your normal actions including multiple attacks. Great party support especially with the Storm Rune when you get it around level 12.

Cons: A little MAD due to the need for high Constitution, & Charisma. Limited Resources, you want a lot of short rests and lower level spells. Just a note, the limited resources aren't as limited as you think 5 spell like effects by level 10, and 6 by 18. This isn't even counting the Giant's Might ability. This character does so much in a round it is easy to forget stuff, or to shine a bit to bright overshadowing other players.