PDA

View Full Version : "Invaders from the Fourth Dimension" inspiration?

DavidBV
2021-03-18, 07:16 AM
I was reading my "D&D Rules Cyclopedia" (1991), and on page 291 it covers conversion rules to AD&D. What caught my attention was an illustration from Terry Dykstra in this page, in which a party of adventurers battles their "opposites" from the other edition!

I am unsure if posting here a picture of the page or the drawing in question would be against the forum rules due to copyright... but I prefer to err on the caution side and not posting it.

With Rich being a D&D veteran I wonder if this image could have somehow inspired the story. Of course it's a mere possibility, but who knows.

For those unaware of what Rules Cyclopedia is and why would one need to convert it to AD&D: original D&D followed two separate development branches between 1977 and the early 90s. In parallel to AD&D 1e and 2e, there was the Basic Set which was updated with an Expert Set (together called B/X system) and eventually Companion, Master and Immortal Sets (BECMI D&D). B/X or BECMI was more succesful than AD&D up to the mid 80s, and both rulesets coexisted for a long time. Rules Cyclopedia was a neat compilation of most of the BECMI, but AD&D was already picking a lot of pace and BECMI was about to be abandoned by TSR.

Jason
2021-03-18, 11:40 AM
I doubt it's the inspiration. Having your characters from different editions fight each other is a fairly obvious idea, given the whole "edition wars" meme.

I like the call back to the Cyclopedia, though. I actually played a lot more BECMI than 1st edition AD&D, back in the day. When 2nd ed AD&D came along I finally switched over for good, but I have fond memories of BECMI. The Basic set is the best introduction to RPGs I've ever seen, and as a whole BECMI is actually a pretty robust system.

DavidBV
2021-03-18, 02:01 PM
I doubt it's the inspiration. Having your characters from different editions fight each other is a fairly obvious idea, given the whole "edition wars" meme.

Agreed, you're probably right. Still despite the "edition wars" meme I had never seen an actual drawing of different "edition" versions of the same characters fighting each other!

I like the call back to the Cyclopedia, though. I actually played a lot more BECMI than 1st edition AD&D, back in the day. When 2nd ed AD&D came along I finally switched over for good, but I have fond memories of BECMI. The Basic set is the best introduction to RPGs I've ever seen, and as a whole BECMI is actually a pretty robust system.

It is amazing and very playable today. In fact there's plenty of retro-clones like Labyrinth Lord and others that are quite successful nowadays. After being a bit disillusioned with 5e, I'm going to run my next game using the Cyclopedia with some AD&D rules mixed in.

KorvinStarmast
2021-03-18, 04:03 PM
Agreed, you're probably right. Still despite the "edition wars" meme I had never seen an actual drawing of different "edition" versions of the same characters fighting each other!
If you get Rich's Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales you'll see 3.X OoTS battle 4e OoTS.

Jason
2021-03-18, 04:41 PM
I bought all the Gazetteers in a nice .pdf bundle a few years ago from DriveThruRPG. And the rules themselves too. Even though I still have some of the books. Maybe I'll run it again someday. B10 is still a favorite module of mine.

DavidBV
2021-03-19, 03:57 AM
If you get Rich's Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales you'll see 3.X OoTS battle 4e OoTS.

... hence the thread title ;)

@Jason, indeed B10 is the best. Made by the TSR UK crew which later on worked on amazing stuff at GW.