PDA

View Full Version : 13th level cleric, fiend of blasphemy.

Yogibear41
2021-03-18, 04:24 PM
what happens when a 12th level cleric who has been getting his powers from a 6th level fiend of Blasphemy advances to level 13? Let's assume he only wants to serve the fiend and not anyone else. Should he just not get 7th level spells? Should he just be hard capped at cleric 12, and forced to multiclass into something else?

Telonius
2021-03-18, 07:07 PM
I'm looking at the Sponsor Worshiper ability, and am a bit puzzled by it - it's not really clear to me what it does. The character already has levels in Cleric, so they'd have spellcasting regardless. It seems like the only thing it would do, is over-write the Fiend's master's name in the "Deity" space of the character sheet, and set the domains. (Not clear if they get these in addition to any other domains they might have had or if the existing domains change to the domains the master gives out).

I'd say that, from a RAW standpoint, if the Cleric is 13th level, Sponsor Worshiper just stops working (whatever it is that the DM rules that it does). Personally I'd rule that, at that point, either the fiend's master actually becomes the deity directly; or, if the master isn't otherwise capable of granting Cleric spells, the character would become a Cleric of a Cause (namely, making the master into an actual deity).

Yogibear41
2021-03-19, 12:11 AM
Yeah, bit of a conundrum, I am the one playing the Fiend of Blasphemy serving as the "master" myself, trying to set myself up as at least a demi-god, (haven't gotten there yet). There is the possibility for our group starting back at level 1 in the same campaign world and I was thinking about playing a 1st level cleric of my other character. Been making a bunch of builds that never go past CL 12th cleric its interesting ha, most of them involve Nar Demonbinder, or Eldritch Disciple. But then again Once the other character actually become a demi-god it won't be a problem as I will then grant spells normally.

We don't have clerics of ideals in this setting, we use sort of a modified home rule of the 1st edition divine spells rules, and a bit about fiends granting spells from a 3.x Faerun book (which also doesn't have Clerics of Ideals) so basically the limited ability of the Fiend of Blasphemy to grant spells up to a certain level makes sense within our setting.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-03-19, 12:34 AM
Clerics can worship causes and gain power from them, up to and including epic spells, once they get that high. If ideas grant power, so long as the cleric isn't aware of just how (not) powerful his patron is, he should keep gaining higher level slots from his belief.

[edit] Ah. No clerics of ideals. Well, maybe the fiend feeds off the belief and grows strong enough in power to grant higher level spells?

Kish
2021-03-19, 01:49 AM
Fiend of Blasphemy is Forgotten Realms specific. The Forgotten Realms is the one official setting I know of where every divine spellcaster (clerics, druids, paladins, rangers) needs a specific patron god. No clerics of causes. A "cleric" without a god is a delusional commoner (or Expert, if they're lucky).

So yes, the implication is that the worshiper cannot get seventh-level divine spells of any sort without either choosing and being accepted by another patron or the patron gaining another level.

Telonius
2021-03-19, 09:12 AM
Fiend of Blasphemy is Forgotten Realms specific. The Forgotten Realms is the one official setting I know of where every divine spellcaster (clerics, druids, paladins, rangers) needs a specific patron god. No clerics of causes. A "cleric" without a god is a delusional commoner (or Expert, if they're lucky).

So yes, the implication is that the worshiper cannot get seventh-level divine spells of any sort without either choosing and being accepted by another patron or the patron gaining another level.

Yeah, that would make the most sense for a Forgotten Realms campaign, but Fiend of Blasphemy is from the Fiend Folio (which is not FR-specific).

Re-reading the whole description of the PrC, I think the intent was something like this: Fiend's master is not actually capable of granting spells, but the fiend wants the worshipers to think he is, to make it easier to corrupt mortals' souls. The Sponsor Worshiper ability lets them fake it (at least up to a certain level of power).

Kish
2021-03-19, 10:31 AM
Ah, my mistake; I looked for it online and found it on a Forgotten Realms page.

Telonius
2021-03-19, 11:06 AM
Ah, my mistake; I looked for it online and found it on a Forgotten Realms page.

Yeah, I know the site you're talking about - they have a lot of stuff reprinted there. (Somewhat surprised WOTC hasn't sent their ninjas after it yet, maybe they're focusing on 5e stuff). There's usually a "Source" thing at the bottom though.

ShurikVch
2021-03-19, 11:08 AM
Except Sertrous is a thing:

"Why serve your lord when his playthings can gain the same strength of power through their own will?"

Scholars and priests puzzled over Sertrous's dying words and made an incredible discovery: One need not worship a god to gain the power of divine magic. Rather than worship a god, a cleric could worship an ideal and gain the same reward. He could worship the mountains, or the sky, or the act of war, or himself.

SERTROUS IN FAERŪN
Faerūn has a large number of deities, and even those who choose not to worship a deity have specific fates to look forward to in the afterlife. As part of the world-changing menace, those who worship Sertrous and do not venerate the gods do not travel to the Fugue Plane when they die. Although technically these souls are counted among the False, they escape punishment in the City of Judgment and pass directly into Sertrous's realm in the Abyss to await his return. Worshipers of Kelemvor who know of this hold a special hatred for the Vanguard as a result.
The entrance to the Serpent Reliquary is hidden far from traditional yuan-ti dwellings to minimize accidental discovery. This entrance is an out-of-place standing stone carved of deep purple porphyry protruding from a low mound of earth on the far side of the Lake of Tears from Castle Perilous. The standing stone has been the obsession of several bickering orc tribes for many centuries, although none of them know of the secret ritual that causes the stone to split apart, forming a shimmering archway that transports those who pass through into the Reliquary's entrance.