PDA

View Full Version : Improving Otherworldly Leap

Segev
2021-03-19, 08:48 AM
As currently written, getting a first level spell that merely triples jump distance at will is a bit much to gate behind ninth level. While a simple fix would be to make it losehe prerequisite, here is another alternative that I think would be interesting and maybe worth effectively being your ninth level Warlock feature:

Otherworldly Leap
Prerequisite: Warlock level 9
You can cast jump as a bonus action at will. While under the effects of that spell, once during each of your turns, you may make a single jump without expending movement.

BerzerkerUnit
2021-03-19, 09:24 AM
Seems okay at a glance, but compare the functional speed bonus to Monk speed boost over 20 levels and it may have a balance issue.

For spells with short durations that an OCD caster can keep up at will (guidance, etc) I generally just say they have 1d10 rds left at the start of any combat unless events would have made casting non viable (like interrupting a rest, a social encounter where casting a spell might have soured the diplomacy, etc).

With that in mind this does step on some monk toes.

Segev
2021-03-19, 09:33 AM
Seems okay at a glance, but compare the functional speed bonus to Monk speed boost over 20 levels and it may have a balance issue.

For spells with short durations that an OCD caster can keep up at will (guidance, etc) I generally just say they have 1d10 rds left at the start of any combat unless events would have made casting non viable (like interrupting a rest, a social encounter where casting a spell might have soured the diplomacy, etc).

With that in mind this does step on some monk toes.

A valid concern. I'll have to think on this to see if it is a problem to me or not. I do dislike things that make you say, "Man, instead of taking this class dedicated to this thing, I should've just taken X levels of Warlock and gotten that one thing that does it better." Prior to Eldritch Adept, Misty Visions was one such frustration: to play an illusionist, you dip 2 levels of Warlock even if you're otherwise playing a wizard illusionist.

JNAProductions
2021-03-19, 11:24 AM
Jump, if I recall correctly, triples your jumping distance.

Jumping distance is, if I recall correctly, equal to your Strength score with a running start.

So, at 10 Strength, this grants you +30' move speed, provided you can move 5' before jumping and want to move in a straight line.

I don't see it being overpowered, since movement speed isn't exactly the most valuable of stats, but... It doesn't really feel right. Maybe instead of just something that effectively increases move speed, have some kind of jumping reaction? Get out of the way of an attack or AoE?