PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Warlock Chef - lots of temp hit points + lots of fun

whateew
2021-03-19, 09:51 AM
As the rpgbot guy has pointed out in his recent tweet, the chef can make treats once every hour - with a long rest, that's potentially 8 X proficiency bonus. On a short rest, they prepare special food that bolsters hit die healing (which is good for a warlock who likes SRing anyway), but the only stipulation on the treats is "with one hour of work or when you finish a long rest," so RAW the feat allows this.

An aspect of the tome warlock doesn't need to sleep, which is the only thing stopping us from doing this - so, I am now thing of an Eldritch Chef, whose tome is an ancient cook book from a lost age / cuisine from the far planes etc. With a vhuman, you can take chef (con), and have +1 Dex, con, and cha, and can cover dark vision with an invocation if you need to.

Thoughts on this as a build? How do you think it'd play? Can you think of any flavourful spells or subclasses for this chara?

Unoriginal
2021-03-19, 09:58 AM
Wrote something, but nevermind, I was wrong.

whateew
2021-03-19, 10:00 AM
I have edited the main post to provide some clarification to avoid that confusion

Do you thing this is really abuse? You only get 2-6 temp hit points per treat, and they don't stack. Compared to taking, say, inspiring leader, this is a lot weaker, and has the potential to be very flavourful.

A fiend warlock styled after Gordon Ramsay from "Hell's kitchen" sounds like lighthearted fun, or more morbidly an undying warlock who uses rotting meat, or maybe even themselves, sounds very fun

Unoriginal
2021-03-19, 10:16 AM
I have edited the main post to provide some clarification to avoid that confusion

Do you thing this is really abuse? You only get 2-6 temp hit points per treat, and they don't stack. Compared to taking, say, inspiring leader, this is a lot weaker, and has the potential to be very flavourful.

A fiend warlock styled after Gordon Ramsay from "Hell's kitchen" sounds like lighthearted fun, or more morbidly an undying warlock who uses rotting meat, or maybe even themselves, sounds very fun

The text of Aspect of the Moon is clear, having it does not change the Warlock requiring long rests. They simply don't sleep during said long rests.

What I was wrong about is the "one hour or when you finish a long rest" part. So a character could cook all night to produce their snacks 8 times, but they would suffer from the regular consequences of not having taken a long rest.

"Warlock doesn't need long rests" is incorrect. "Chef can cook for 8 hours", however, is correct.

To be clear, it's not a question of power, it's just a question of how the mechanics work (or don't work). If you want to homebrew a no-exhaustion-from-cooking Warlock it probably won't break or outshine anything.

whateew
2021-03-19, 10:19 AM
So a character could cook all night to produce their snacks 8 times, but they would suffer from the regular consequences of not having taken a long rest.

"Warlock doesn't need long rests" is incorrect. "Chef can cook for 8 hours", however, is correct.

why would they though? the feature says "light activity" is acceptable, and I hardly imagine cooking treats is a hard task, especially for a proficient chef.

In fact, the phb says, vis a vis light activity during a long rest: "If the rest is interrupted by a period of strenuous activity—at least 1 hour of walking, fighting, casting spells, or similar adventuring activity—the characters must begin the rest again to gain any benefit from it." Surely cooking is closer to reading a book or keeping watch?

Unoriginal
2021-03-19, 10:26 AM
why would they though? the feature says "light activity" is acceptable, and I hardly imagine cooking treats is a hard task, especially for a proficient chef.

Spending one hour cooking isn't what I would call light activity. Cooking something elaborate is a pretty intense effort mentally, physically and in patience.

And those aren't ordinary treats, they're literally so well-done they can save you from dying from a greatsword critical hit or a Fireball.

All DMs are free to rule otherwise, of course.

I like the flavor of a Warlock Chef a lot (pun intended), I just think the rules are more limited than what you presented in your OP.

whateew
2021-03-19, 10:32 AM
Spending one hour cooking isn't what I would call light activity. Cooking something elaborate is a pretty intense effort mentally, physically and in patience.

And those aren't ordinary treats, they're literally so well-done they can save you from dying from a greatsword critical hit or a Fireball.

All DMs are free to rule otherwise, of course.

I like the flavor of a Warlock Chef a lot (pun intended), I just think the rules are more limited than what you presented in your OP.

Fair enough - but then, if you cannot cook during a long rest (while an eldritch chef!), what can you do? I feel like it's entirely reasonable to ask to do this.

Further, it's not like this will break the game either - treats only last for 8 hours, you won't have an infinite stockpile of healing.

Seekergeek
2021-03-19, 10:46 AM
Yeah...as a red seal chef, I have no doubt an hour long walk is less strenuous than an hour preparing a fine meal - especially over an open fire, in the rustic setting we're going to be working with. We're not talking about ants on a log, guys.

JonBeowulf
2021-03-19, 10:49 AM
I don't have any reference material so pardon my ignorance if this is a dumb question.

From a logistics standpoint, are you hauling around a backpack filled with random, kinda gross ingredients to make all these treats every night?

I also find it a bit silly that you can only make them one at a time. Imagine making 8 cookies that way. But mechanics gotta be somewhat balanced.

whateew
2021-03-19, 10:53 AM
Yeah...as a red seal chef, I have no doubt an hour long walk is less strenuous than an hour preparing a fine meal - especially over an open fire, in the rustic setting we're going to be working with. We're not talking about ants on a log, guys.

Its not quite a fine meal though - these are (at lower levels) 2 treat - it's fairly easy to make sweet confectionery, for example - candied lemons, or honey treats, require few ingredients and simply just an open flame

I don't have any reference material so pardon my ignorance if this is a dumb question.

From a logistics standpoint, are you hauling around a backpack filled with random, kinda gross ingredients to make all these treats every night?

I think this is a fair question - depending on what you need, this might get heavy. Then again, players need to eat anyway, and they already manage to carry ingredients. Making elaborate pastries is hard, but perhaps a ranger could easily find berries for a sweet jam with bread. Either way, if you have a strong character in the group, as long as you have non perishables, it's probably fine to say you can have supplies for say, a week before going to a town.

That being said, perhaps we should look for an alternative option - I present genie warlock, who casts create food and water to have whatever ingredients you want, for the price of a short rest. Chef's paradise. You are allowed to cast a spell during a long rest (so long as it's not more than an hour long), and you would easily get the spells back - worst case scenario, you have to make only 7 treats, and short rest to regain those spells.
Genielock with a portable kitchen, anyone?

RingoBongo
2021-03-19, 11:22 AM
Or couldn't you just be an elf and have to only sleep for 4 hours and thus make x4 the treats instead of x8 AND still get the benefits of a long rest?

whateew
2021-03-19, 11:29 AM
Or couldn't you just be an elf and have to only sleep for 4 hours and thus make x4 the treats instead of x8 AND still get the benefits of a long rest?

You'd still get a short rest, but that's true, it takes a lot less effort like that. However, the flavour of a Hell's Kitchen fiend? That's priceless.

JackPhoenix
2021-03-19, 11:52 AM
Its not quite a fine meal though - these are (at lower levels) 2 treat - it's fairly easy to make sweet confectionery, for example - candied lemons, or honey treats, require few ingredients and simply just an open flame

"Special treats" does not mean "any random sweets". If it did, anyone proficient with cook's untesils could make them without requiring a feat.

That being said, perhaps we should look for an alternative option - I present genie warlock, who casts create food and water to have whatever ingredients you want, for the price of a short rest. Chef's paradise. You are allowed to cast a spell during a long rest (so long as it's not more than an hour long), and you would easily get the spells back - worst case scenario, you have to make only 7 treats, and short rest to regain those spells.
Genielock with a portable kitchen, anyone?

As long as the ingredients you want fit under "bland, but nourishing" (but even that nourishing part is doubtful, as 45 pounds of the created food only feed 15 people, and I wouldn't exactly call something you'd need to eat 5 pounds of to sustain yourself for 24 hours 'nourishing'. That's 5 times the normal amount of food required per day!).

Christian
2021-03-19, 11:57 AM
... and has the potential to be very flavourful.

I saw what you did there. :wink:

whateew
2021-03-19, 12:35 PM
"Special treats" does not mean "any random sweets". If it did, anyone proficient with cook's untesils could make them without requiring a feat.

This is very much personal interpretation at this point though, and we share the game with a feature that gives 3x the number of temporary hit points with a short speech, I don't think we should be applying strict realism to temp hit points, because it just does not make sense universally.

Regardless, what we do have as official reference is the feat itself, and, for the treats, it requires neither 1) ingredients and 2) supplies. This is definitely not supposed to be life changing pastries that take heart and soul to make, this is something a chef can make with what's available while camping abroad. Something like honeysweets maybe, given that chef's utensils are largely a pot and accessories.

Unoriginal
2021-03-19, 12:47 PM
This is very much personal interpretation at this point though, and we share the game with a feature that gives 3x the number of temporary hit points with a short speech, I don't think we should be applying strict realism to temp hit points, because it just does not make sense universally.

It's not realism, it's thematic .

Regardless, what we do have as official reference is the feat itself, and, for the treats, it requires neither 1) ingredients and 2) supplies. This is definitely not supposed to be life changing pastries that take heart and soul to make, this is something a chef can make with what's available while camping abroad. Something like honeysweets maybe, given that chef's utensils are largely a pot and accessories.

They may be life-changing pastries that take heart and soul to make despite the simple supplies and utensils, though.

Someone with the Chef feat is an exceptional, fantastical cook/baker/etc.

Spiritchaser
2021-03-19, 01:02 PM
Why are you worrying about carrying heavy ingredients? You are a warlock. Go the Hannibal Lecter route. I dare say the typical party will vanquish more than enough food in a day for an amuse bouche or five. What? The Paladin wants to know where you found such delicious and fresh ingredients? Be sure to wait for the very best moments to drop the hints he’ll need to figure it out.

Be patient with him, he dumped intelligence after all.

whateew
2021-03-19, 01:04 PM
It's not realism, it's thematic .

They may be life-changing pastries that take heart and soul to make despite the simple supplies and utensils, though.

Someone with the Chef feat is an exceptional, fantastical cook/baker/etc.

That's just conjecture though, literally anyone can take the Chef feat. The chefs don't need to be formally trained - a lizard folk making food with what's available, somehow making seemingly stale meat and vegetables into a nourishing meal still fits the flavour of the feat.

Why must these treats take constant work for an hour, comparable to literal combat, to make? Surely this feat is not "incredible chef with fantastic skills" but "experienced chef who knows how to make the most of what they've got? I understand that this is all, of course, up to personal opinion, but given this costs a feat and an invocation, while giving results that are barely comparable to fiendish vigor + inspiring leader, I feel this is just being stubborn at this point :/

Evaar
2021-03-19, 01:06 PM
Might as well go all in, make it a Mark of Hospitality Halfling. You get some bonus spells and add some to your spell list that you wouldn't otherwise have - including some useful rituals you can use through your Tome (although you could just buy the rituals anyway).

If you go Celestial Pact, you'll get 8 Cantrips by level 3. Two from Celestial, three from Tome, two from Warlock, and one from Mark of Hospitality. So you do Eldritch Blast and then every utility cantrip. Or do Shillelagh/Booming Blade if you want.

If you go Genie Pact, you're a house on feet for your party. You can rest inside your genie bottle, make a Tiny Hut, provide goodberries, temporary HP snacks, and start each day boosting everyone's HP with Aid.

All while providing very solid damage in a fight via Eldritch Blast spam.

whateew
2021-03-19, 01:07 PM
Why are you worrying about carrying heavy ingredients? You are a warlock. Go the Hannibal Lecter route. I dare say the typical party will vanquish more than enough food in a day for an amuse bouche or five. What? The Paladin wants to know where you found such delicious and fresh ingredients? Be sure to wait for the very best moments to drop the hints he’ll need to figure it out.

Be patient with him, he dumped intelligence after all.

"These *******s are all adventurers, they don't have taste for quality food. I'm using goblin mince, and these dumbasses believed me when I said it was salmon... There isn't a body of water here for days, I don't know how they are so stupid"
Especially considering warlocks are incredible at deception, this seems like a really fun character. Suits the idea of an undying warlock too, or maybe a fiend, sent to hell for gluttony of cannabalistic levels

Might as well go all in, make it a Mark of Hospitality Halfling. You get some bonus spells and add some to your spell list that you wouldn't otherwise have - including some useful rituals you can use through your Tome (although you could just buy the rituals anyway).

If you go Celestial Pact, you'll get 8 Cantrips by level 3. Two from Celestial, three from Tome, two from Warlock, and one from Mark of Hospitality. So you do Eldritch Blast and then every utility cantrip. Or do Shillelagh/Booming Blade if you want.

If you go Genie Pact, you're a house on feet for your party. You can rest inside your genie bottle, make a Tiny Hut, provide goodberries, temporary HP snacks, and start each day boosting everyone's HP with Aid.

All while providing very solid damage in a fight via Eldritch Blast spam.

I love the hospitality / warlock combo, but honestly at this point I think it's almost cruel heheheh. It might be hard to fit in a half feat that doesn't increase cha into a low level character, but this sounds like the perfect "I brought snacks" character

Unoriginal
2021-03-19, 01:46 PM
That's just conjecture though, literally anyone can take the Chef feat. The chefs don't need to be formally trained - a lizard folk making food with what's available, somehow making seemingly stale meat and vegetables into a nourishing meal still fits the flavour of the feat.

Formal training or not has no bearing on the point that was being made. Yes indeed you can flavor the cooking and the resulting food however you want.

The point is that anyone taking the Chef feat is an exceptional food-maker, same way as someone who takes the Tough feat is exceptionally tough compared to their peers.

Why must these treats take constant work for an hour, comparable to literal combat, to make?

Because the text of the feat says you have to spend one hour on it (implying you cannot do something else at the same time)?

Surely this feat is not "incredible chef with fantastic skills" but "experienced chef who knows how to make the most of what they've got?

No, it surely is "incredible chef with fantastic skills". Being able to make the kind of food the Chef feat let you do is undoubtedly fantastic.

Darth Credence
2021-03-19, 02:12 PM
If you spend 8 hours cooking treats, the first batch are going to go bad within an hour, with another batch going bad every hour after that.

It wouldn't be light activity as the feat specifies an hour of "work" to create the treats.

Unoriginal
2021-03-19, 02:24 PM
If you spend 8 hours cooking treats, the first batch are going to go bad within an hour, with another batch going bad every hour after that.

Now *that* is sounding like Hell's Kitchen.

whateew
2021-03-19, 02:34 PM

This is true, but that's also fine. You take a party of six: each get prof bonus temp hit points with the first 2 / 3 batches when they wake up, and then the rest will last a few hours each. Temp hit points only leave after another long rest, and the feat doesn't state that the temp hit points last that long, only the treats.

It wouldn't be light activity as the feat specifies an hour of "work" to create the treats.

that's a reasonable ruling, although the PHB is ambiguous still - it says "adventuring activity," and I'd say cooking would fall somewhere between that and light activity, but of course thats just my opinion.
However, tomelocks get unseen servant, you can do all the hard, physical work for you, and we know that one person can do this work by themselves. With a sous-chef to help you, I'd rule that this isn't comparable to hard labour. If this still were, then what even is the point to aspect of the moon? The servant does have text about only being able to do simple tasks, but unless one holds that these professional treats require constant professional attention or are immediately ruined, it can at least help.

LumenPlacidum
2021-03-19, 02:48 PM
I have something of a problem, since rests are intended to include meals even when this feat is not included. One of the standard things mentioned under both Short Rest and Long Rest (p 186 of the PHB) is eating. Eating is a part of the rest. Now, eating is distinct from cooking. One could easily presume that any meal preparation is not included in the 8 hours of a long rest. But, meal preparation surely happens at some time. Are you representing that time? Chances are good that you are, actually. The long rest is only 8 hours long, after all. The party is probably on something like a day-night cycle for adventuring activity, which means it's more like 12 hours of daylight. Probably some of that daylight is the party setting up camp and breaking down camp (which sucks to do in the dark). As such, the standard is traveling for 8 hours a day (under Forced March on p 181 PHB). That means that when the party is down, they're actually down for more like 16 hours. We tend to focus on the 8 hours when some of them are sleeping and the 8 hours when they're moving about. But, the other 8 hours of time are probably where a lot of the mundane activity happens.

I think I would argue that typical parts of the camping activity is gathering firewood, laying out bedrolls and blankets, setting up tents, doing some quick hunting, rubbing down horses, cleaning, urinating, pooping, sharpening and oiling blades, changing clothes, cleaning clothes, and yes... preparing meals.

I think any character with the Chef feat and ample supplies would have a reasonable argument that, even without trying to burn the midnight oil by trying not to scorch the oil at midnight, they would have multiple hours of downtime every day in which to ply their craft. Whether it's reasonable to be making these amuses-bouche at a rate of 2-6 per hour, *shrug*. That seems quite possible to me, although admittedly, there is an economy of scale in cooking. Whether it's reasonable that they should spoil after 8 hours, *shrug*. The idea is that you're going to be going into the day armed with these delicacies that are so good that, as Unoriginal said, they can stop you from dying.

They don't restore hit points, and temporary hit points don't stack. Unless you're spending actions to scarf down a Scooby-Snack in between castings of Booming Blade, you are likely to get only a little benefit from these treats. With a huge amount of them, you can affect more people for the starts of more combats, but it's not like they cause you to regenerate or anything. I see no issue with letting the chef character start the day with a dozen of these things. It lets them feel like the feat that they chose isn't worthless, which is kind of the point?

Let's say you gave your party a thousand of these treats at the start of the day. What are the worst shenanigans that they could achieve with that? Always starting a new fight with a few extra hitpoints? Hell, if that made the party risk more fights per day, then I'd be stunned, and my response would be GREAT! That's more in-line with what resource-expenditure is supposed to be anyway. They could distribute them to the masses, I guess, providing a few temporary hit points to lots of people that last who-knows-how-long. That sounds like it might be a key character roleplay moment. So, for the sake of the narrative, great!

The risk is that someone is going to argue that they can build a pulley system that inserts a new treat into their mouths whenever they make a stabbing motion with their spear. In that case, then dump on that player for doing something dumb. I see no problem with Chef characters making oodles of yummies.

whateew
2021-03-19, 03:02 PM
The risk is that someone is going to argue that they can build a pulley system that inserts a new treat into their mouths whenever they make a stabbing motion with their spear. In that case, then dump on that player for doing something dumb. I see no problem with Chef characters making oodles of yummies.

"Ok fine, the system works as intended. You gain two temp hit points, as if you have used your bonus action"
"Ok, sweet."
"Monsters turn. As it hits you with its body slam, your finely calibrated equipment breaks instantly."

An unseen servant might be able to abuse this though.

Chugger
2021-03-20, 03:29 AM
I love the color - the Ramsay thing and tome cookbook from hell. That's great.

I played an AL game a couple of weeks ago w/ a player who'd bought a special certificate at a charity even approved by AL/wotc. The cert he won lets his warlock's patron be - if I understand this correctly - the Swedish Chef from The Muppet Show.

Bork! Bork! Bork! He can stun in an area.

He can throw the kitchen sink at you - it's an AoE that sends cutlery in one direction, broken plate shards in another, scalding water - slippery soap suds - heavy pots - etc.

Then, he summons dinner - he rolled an 8 and so got to roll several times again on the table! Three giant roast turkeys (axebeak stats) appeared. And three huge plates of spaghetti (constrictor snake states) and 2 cabbages (they just sat there being cabbages). He had outrageous tokens for roll20 for all this - insane fun.

whateew
2021-03-20, 05:39 AM
I love the color - the Ramsay thing and tome cookbook from hell. That's great.

I played an AL game a couple of weeks ago w/ a player who'd bought a special certificate at a charity even approved by AL/wotc. The cert he won lets his warlock's patron be - if I understand this correctly - the Swedish Chef from The Muppet Show.

Bork! Bork! Bork! He can stun in an area.

He can throw the kitchen sink at you - it's an AoE that sends cutlery in one direction, broken plate shards in another, scalding water - slippery soap suds - heavy pots - etc.

Then, he summons dinner - he rolled an 8 and so got to roll several times again on the table! Three giant roast turkeys (axebeak stats) appeared. And three huge plates of spaghetti (constrictor snake states) and 2 cabbages (they just sat there being cabbages). He had outrageous tokens for roll20 for all this - insane fun.

I cannot imagine a more eldritch patron. This is fantastic and I love it.

Lunali
2021-03-20, 07:54 AM
The text of Aspect of the Moon is clear, having it does not change the Warlock requiring long rests. They simply don't sleep during said long rests.

That is not clear from the text. All that is clear from the text is that if you want the benefit of a long rest you can spend the 8 hrs engaged in light activity.

If you're including the very weirdly worded optional sleep deprivation rules from Xanathar's, then yes, you still need to take long rests.

whateew
2021-03-20, 09:11 AM
I've found a post on wizards.com that might be of use to understand the designers intent around "light activity," which might be useful for a variety of different situations.

In the context of elves during a long rest:
"Here’s what this all means for an elf. An elf can spend 4 hours in a trance during a long rest and then has 4 additional hours of light activity. While an elf’s companions are snoozing, the elf can be awake and engaged in a variety of activities, including carving a lovely trinket, composing a sonnet, reading a tome of ancient lore, attempting to remember something experienced centuries before, and keeping an eye out for danger. The Trance trait is, ultimately, meant to highlight the otherworldly character of elves, not to give them an edge in the game"
https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-september-2015

Of note here is "carving a lovely trinket," which seems to imply use of artisans tools. However, it is still vague and up to personal discretion

Unoriginal
2021-03-20, 09:39 AM
I've found a post on wizards.com that might be of use to understand the designers intent around "light activity," which might be useful for a variety of different situations.

In the context of elves during a long rest:
"Here’s what this all means for an elf. An elf can spend 4 hours in a trance during a long rest and then has 4 additional hours of light activity. While an elf’s companions are snoozing, the elf can be awake and engaged in a variety of activities, including carving a lovely trinket, composing a sonnet, reading a tome of ancient lore, attempting to remember something experienced centuries before, and keeping an eye out for danger. The Trance trait is, ultimately, meant to highlight the otherworldly character of elves, not to give them an edge in the game"
https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-september-2015

Of note here is "carving a lovely trinket," which seems to imply use of artisans tools. However, it is still vague and up to personal discretion

The quote you posted literally says that it's not meant to give the elf an edge.

No one is saying you can't cook during a long rest. The Chef feat explicitly states that you can do your Chef thing once as part of your long rest, even.

whateew
2021-03-20, 09:46 AM
The quote you posted literally says that it's not meant to give the elf an edge.

No one is saying you can't cook during a long rest. The Chef feat explicitly states that you can do your Chef thing once as part of your long rest, even.

Fair, but this is an eldritch invocation - they talk about giving the elves an edge compared to other races, but this is a stand alone feature, an eldritch invocation, perhaps it's different? Compared to false life, which gives (up to) 8 temp hit points at a time, requiring no preparation and tools, this is hardly giving you and edge, and has a feat cost to it too.
8 th per action + a feat vs prof bonus per ba; that's hardly an "edge."

Dork_Forge
2021-03-20, 09:43 PM
Fair, but this is an eldritch invocation - they talk about giving the elves an edge compared to other races, but this is a stand alone feature, an eldritch invocation, perhaps it's different? Compared to false life, which gives (up to) 8 temp hit points at a time, requiring no preparation and tools, this is hardly giving you and edge, and has a feat cost to it too.
8 th per action + a feat vs prof bonus per ba; that's hardly an "edge."

Ultimately this will just be down to your DM, but you can easily look at it like this:

Cooking these treats more than once adds up to more than just light activity, regardless the time you have available. After all cooking high level food isn't an easy task, nevermind the amount of clean up you'd have to do, and then cooking an actual meal/eating. Think about it, you've been hiking all day in armour, carrying a heavy pack, how restful do you think cooking nonstop would be, regardless of not needing to sleep?

I don't (often) sleep during my break in work, but just beause I don't need sleep then doesn't mean I don't need to just relax and take a load off.

poopyloop
2021-03-21, 02:14 AM
This sounds like a really fun character concept, I think there's a lot of fun things you could do with an eldritch chef. The first thing that comes to mind is cooking enemy monsters. You could make a lot of interesting dishes, and if you get your DM in on the idea it could open up a lot of other doors.
I feel like in most situations, assuming your DM does not let you mass produce your treats on a long rest, inspiring leader is probably more useful than chef, but I'm wondering if using them both would be worthwhile. Use leader when you can, and have the treats passed out for in combat once the leader temp hp run out. I'm sure you'll have a party member or 2 that don't have a dedicated bonus action.
I also like the idea of multi classing into bard for song of rest, make everyone's first hit die add an additional 2d8 every short rest, seems like a strong out of combat support character

Evaar
2021-03-22, 12:56 AM
I went and posted how I’d make a Mark of Hospitality Warlock with the Chef feat in the Eclectic Builds thread. I think it came out pretty good, and brings a lot to a party.

ATHATH
2021-03-23, 12:24 AM
Note that "These special treats last 8 hours after being made.", so you can't amass a giant stockpile of them, even if you lack the need to long rest. Tbh, it might be better to go some sort of elven subrace and just spend the first 4 hours of each of your party's long rests trancing (which gives you the benefits of a full long rest, according to errata/sage advice) and the last 4 hours of each long rest cooking. That way, you won't be locked into being a Tomelock, and can instead choose something that's more synergistic with a cheap, expendable source of THP, such as a Chainlock pseudodragon (or sprite) + Investment of the Chain Master build.

prototype00
2021-03-23, 01:02 AM
Note that "These special treats last 8 hours after being made.", so you can't amass a giant stockpile of them, even if you lack the need to long rest. Tbh, it might be better to go some sort of elven subrace and just spend the first 4 hours of each of your party's long rests trancing (which gives you the benefits of a full long rest, according to errata/sage advice) and the last 4 hours of each long rest cooking. That way, you won't be locked into being a Tomelock, and can instead choose something that's more synergistic with a cheap, expendable source of THP, such as a Chainlock pseudodragon (or sprite) + Investment of the Chain Master build.

Hmm, if you’re bleeding out at 0HP can Pookie feed you an almond cream danish to get you up again with THP?

Dork_Forge
2021-03-23, 08:14 AM
Hmm, if you’re bleeding out at 0HP can Pookie feed you an almond cream danish to get you up again with THP?

You need to regain actual hit points to regain consciousness.

Vogie
2021-03-24, 10:30 AM
Warforged Chef-bot Barbarian just wants to feed everyone. Often against their will.

THIS SUSTENANCE HAS BEEN DEEMED DELICIOUS
SATISFACTION, AUTHORIZED.

ATHATH
2021-03-25, 02:13 PM
Warforged Chef-bot Barbarian just wants to feed everyone. Often against their will.

THIS SUSTENANCE HAS BEEN DEEMED DELICIOUS
SATISFACTION, AUTHORIZED.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4IFNKYmLa8

HPisBS
2021-03-25, 08:16 PM
As long as the ingredients you want fit under "bland, but nourishing" (but even that nourishing part is doubtful, as 45 pounds of the created food only feed 15 people, and I wouldn't exactly call something you'd need to eat 5 pounds of to sustain yourself for 24 hours 'nourishing'. That's 5 times the normal amount of food required per day!).

Your math's a bit off there lol.

45 lbs / 15 people = 3 lbs / person.

Assuming 3 meals / day, that'd be just 1 lb per meal.