PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Advice on balancing a homebrew channel divinity

stuffnsuch
2021-03-19, 01:42 PM
I'm playing a Twilight Cleric and I'm not a huge fan of the CD (loads of temp HP; narratively fun Frightened and Charmed conditions easily thwarted]. I'm aware of the myriad ways it can be tweaked but it's more an issue with it not suiting the character I'm playing so my DM and I are looking at ideas to replace the CD either with one from another class or with a homebrew.

The only element that should be carried over is that it is a dim light 30ft aura effect as this factors into the rest of their later abilities.

What do we think about swapping it for a nerfed version of the Peace Cleric's Emboldening Bond feature (30ft aura, allies get 1x1d4 once per turn) on the proviso that it's never used to stack with Bless because that feels cheesy. EB can usually be used proficiency times per rest and CDs are twice per short rest for the bulk of the game so the resource cost seems comparable.

EDIT: intent would be to also nerf the duration from 10 min to 1 min as per the Twilight Domain's original CD

Is this a trade of equal value? Less?

ProsecutorGodot
2021-03-19, 01:53 PM
Does this suggestion also use the duration of Emboldening Bond while also having it be dim light in the radius? You have a 30ft radius dim light sphere that grants allies within it the benefits of bless/guidance for 10 minutes?

This seems like a significant buff on an already fantastic subclass, unless I'm misunderstanding something here.

Dalinar
2021-03-19, 02:14 PM
Does this suggestion also use the duration of Emboldening Bond while also having it be dim light in the radius? You have a 30ft radius dim light sphere that grants allies within it the benefits of bless/guidance for 10 minutes?

This seems like a significant buff on an already fantastic subclass, unless I'm misunderstanding something here.

I don't think including the extensive duration of Emboldening Bond was the intent of the OP. Still really strong though.

Personally, I sort of think of the Twilight Cleric's intended flavor as similar to the Watchers Paladin's (replace "extraterrestrials" with "things that go bump in the night") and so some sort of ward against likely threats of the night makes sense to me. My ideas for this one are boring, but maybe just advantage on saving throws versus fear effects, resistance to necrotic and/or psychic damage, imposing disadvantage on things that rely on darkvision to see, stuff like that? Not even all at once, I'm just spitballing here.

stuffnsuch
2021-03-19, 02:17 PM

Ah apologies, will edit.

The intent would be to also nerf it to 1 min to reflect the parameters of the Twilight CD's aura

stuffnsuch
2021-03-20, 01:55 AM
some sort of ward against likely threats of the night makes sense to me.

I agree. I'm not sure how dishing out temp HP is "Twilighty". I can see the protective aura vibe in the ability that instantly cancels Charmed/Frightened effects, but narratively thoser spells are really fun. Do i really want to play in a campaign where he barbarian can't be turned against the party? ha

The EB feature feels like a supportive aura and was designed to be used a similar number of times per day so it seemed like a decent fit?