PDA

View Full Version : Paladin mount, does the celestial trait change anything?

dehro
2021-03-19, 04:56 PM
in 3.5 a celestial creature had the template by the same name. I seem to remember that that applied to to the paladin mount as well.
My paladin has "find greater steed" and has summoned a celestial griffon.
Is there, in 5e a difference between your base griffon and the celestial mount? other than cosmetic and fluff, that is.. are there any enhancements tied to it?
I can't seem to find an actual template, nor the specifics for celestial animals.

Tanarii
2021-03-19, 05:00 PM
It means it isn't affected by features, spells or Magic times that would affect its normal creature type, and is instead affected by ones that affect celestials.

CheddarChampion
2021-03-19, 05:01 PM
There's no template like that in 5e. Other than what the Find Steed spell says, your mount gets no boosts.
The change in creature type does change what it can be affected by, though. Speak with Animals, for example, won't work on it. Protection from Evil and Good will guard against its attacks, it wouldn't normally.

Valmark
2021-03-19, 05:07 PM
Types don't have any innate ability like in 3.5- homewever there are various effects that act on said types.

As an example Beast Bond doesn't do anything on the Steed since it's a Celestial.

As far as enhancements go... I don't think there's any? I don't recall features that boost celestials specifically while I do remember some that boost beasts. And I can think of more effects that negatively impact celestials without being able to hurt beasts then the opposite.

Mastikator
2021-03-19, 05:21 PM
Does it mean that if an enemy banishes it for the whole duration it stays banished?

If not I think it's just the name, and maybe shininess?

Valmark
2021-03-19, 05:49 PM
Does it mean that if an enemy banishes it for the whole duration it stays banished?

If not I think it's just the name, and maybe shininess?

Banishment doesn't care about type- wether it stays banished or not mostly depends on wether the DM says that the spirit comes from another plane.

That said, there are other spells that interact- for example like Cheddar said Protection from Evil and Good will work against the Steed.

Guy Lombard-O
2021-03-19, 10:08 PM
Not precisely on point, but somewhat humorously, I used to play an Ancients paladin who initially chose "fey" for the creature type of my Find Steed.

Imagine my surprise the next time I used "Turn the Faithless" and immediately got bucked off my horse as it fled from me. Derp.

dehro
2021-03-20, 03:37 PM
thank you for the clarifications

Not precisely on point, but somewhat humorously, I used to play an Ancients paladin who initially chose "fey" for the creature type of my Find Steed.

Imagine my surprise the next time I used "Turn the Faithless" and immediately got bucked off my horse as it fled from me. Derp.

yeah.. I travel with a necromancer... the itch to banish his skeletal servants is strong.

Damon_Tor
2021-03-20, 04:55 PM
For funsies, the wizard could cast Planar Binding on the paladin's steed while the paladin is off sleeping or whatever. Then the steed would have to become complicit in the wizard's pranks on the paladin. If you can't think of hilarious things to do with this, I would suggest that you are a boring person.