PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [Pathfinder] Aquatic natural attacker build - need some guidance

TheFamilarRaven
2021-03-20, 03:51 AM
Hey playground!

One of my regular groups is not meeting for a proper session this week (not enough people), so the DM is going to run a one-shot set in another time and place in the current campaign setting to further flesh out the world.
The normal game is a pirates game, so naturally the world has got a nautical theme to it. As far as I'm aware, this adventure will take place primarily underwater, so races with the aquatic subtype are a must.

So I feel like playing a natural attack based character. The reason being is: I've never played one before. And that's sort of the problem, I'm not sure how to build an efficient natural attacker build.

My first (and only) idea so far is a skinwalker (sea-scarred) Warpriest. I like spellcasting, and warpriests can get some nifty swift action self-buffs. Plus the animal blessing can net me some claws in addition to my bite attack. I thought about druid, naturally (heh), but since the main game already has a druid it just doesn't get me that excited.

I did see I neat build that dipped 1 level in to brawler and the rest went into warpriest. That allows you to pick up Martial Flexibility at 4th level, in order to have weapon focus apply to all natural attacks and make them all scale off of sacred weapon damage. But since the animal blessing claws are a 1d6 anyways, this doesn't really get me anything since I won't be progressing past 5th level.

And on the topic of the sea-scarred, if I'm understanding the race correctly, if I wanted to have a bite, a swim speed AND the amphibious trait in my bestial form I'd need to spend two feats. So that hurts a bit.

So I'm seeking advice on what natural attack builds work in an aquatic environment. Because right now, my current plan is to go straight warpriest, grab the animal blessing, burn two feats to get amphibious and a swim speed. Pick up power attack and call it a day.

BUILD INFORMATION
*20 point for ability scores
*5th level
*Race must have aquatic subtype (or amphibious quality works fine too)
**Should probably also make sense in a salt water setting, I guess....
*No idea what the other people are building. It also doesn't matter to us, it's a one shot. (And probably a silly one at that, knowing us...)
*Assume Wealth-by-level is non-existent. I can probably get an AoMF or a stat boosting item. But I haven't heard back from the DM on whether I have full access to the magic mart.

Kurald Galain
2021-03-20, 04:03 AM
I'm not sure how to build an efficient natural attacker build.
That's very easy. Take a high strength and as many natural attacks as possible. At level 5 you can get five or six of those if you cheese it up.

TheFamilarRaven
2021-03-20, 04:22 AM
That's very easy. Take a high strength and as many natural attacks as possible. At level 5 you can get five or six of those if you cheese it up.

Sure. I understand that. It's just that my knowledge of where to pick up those extra natural attacks is lacking. So advice on were to begin searching on the PFSRD is kinda what I'm after. It's fairly easy for me to squeeze in claws and a bite just looking through some basic options. But tacking on a slam, pincers, tail slap or what have you is where I'm having trouble.

I suppose synthesis summoners is an easy source of all of those. I guess I was kind of hoping for some kraft gruyere options, not the real gruyere.

SimonMoon6
2021-03-20, 03:21 PM
Without the aquatic requirement, I would suggest the Skinwalker race of the Ragebred (Wereboar-kin) variety because they gain access to gore and hoof attacks which are usually hard to get (at least, to get along with claws and bite attacks, which you can get from (for example) barbarian rage powers easily enough).

The wereshark-kin are not as good. You can get amphibious but only a bite attack.

For the aquatic/amphibious requirement, is third party allowed? If so, then this is easily solved by the aquatic (or amphibious) template. And there's a third party feat "Thick Skull" that gives a headbutt natural attack.

I would assume you'd go the barbarian path for the "beast totem" options to gain claws and pounce. Pounce is really important.

If you're stuck with an actual aquatic/amphibious race... what exactly are the options? Mermaid? Might make a decent bloodrager (with con and cha bonuses).

But here's my actual thought:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take whatever race you have to, to count as aquatic. Then, take Alchemist with the Metamorph archetype (which seems really weak due to having no spellcasting) with Variant Multiclassing (Barbarian).

You'll get stat bonuses from rage, mutagen, and either alter self or monstrous physique (depending on your level). You can become a variety of monsters with a variety of attacks. The four-armed gargoyle is a classic, but I do love the euryale with her multitude of snake attacks and then with "feral mutagen" (take it at 2nd level) you get claws and bite on top of that. And since you'll already have those kinds of attacks, when you eventually get a rage power, you can take the one that gives you a gore attack. I would also quickly retrain your 1st level feat into the "I don't die when rage wears off" feat (Raging Vitality) as soon as possible (you don't get rage until 2nd level, so you probably can't take R.V. until then). And there are other alchemist discoveries (like Lingering Spirit) to try to keep you alive.

And if you don't mind looking like a freak, you could take the alchemist discoveries for extra body parts like tentacles, but it's reasonable to assume that you wouldn't keep them when using monstrous physique (even if it is a class ability).

The problem with this build is no easy access to pounce. I mean, there's always the Tiger's Hide armor, I suppose.

And you might not be able to breathe underwater anymore if you become a euryale (not sure about that). Small drawback. If that's an issue, become a vouivre instead. They are aquatic.