PDA

View Full Version : fighter/wizard multiclass, what would you make?

poolio
2021-03-20, 04:01 PM
Greetings all, title says it all, how would you go about making your fighter/wizards? what race would you take? what spells? which class would you favor? pretty much any and all aspects are up for talking about, don't worry about min/maxing or making the "best" choices here, unless that's what you like, i just wanted a general discussion thread on this classic gish build, mostly cause i'm board and looking for ideas :smalltongue: lol

Dalinar
2021-03-20, 04:20 PM
The obvious play seems to be Eldritch Knight until the spell slot progression annoys you and then Wizard-of-choice the rest of the way (Abjurer, War Magic, Bladesinger come to mind).

Alternatively grab just a couple Wizard levels for Enlarge/Reduce, then go Rune Knight the rest of the way, and build as a grappler.

Unoriginal
2021-03-20, 04:55 PM
Psi Warrior can benefit from high INT, too.

That being said, most people who go Wizard/Fighter don't go further than 2 level in Fighters, to get the armor, HPs and action surge.

Blood of Gaea
2021-03-20, 05:04 PM
11 Eldritch Knight/X Wizard is something I've enjoyed in games where you reach those levels. I've played as both War and Abjuration, and those are solid defensive boosts for sure.

Bladesinger would be quite interesting with how it gives you a noticeable offensive boost at CL 17, if your DM allows it to function with Extra Attack (2).

LudicSavant
2021-03-20, 05:13 PM
Greetings all, title says it all, how would you go about making your fighter/wizards? what race would you take? what spells? which class would you favor? pretty much any and all aspects are up for talking about, don't worry about min/maxing or making the "best" choices here, unless that's what you like, i just wanted a general discussion thread on this classic gish build, mostly cause i'm board and looking for ideas :smalltongue: lol

Usually one of the following:

Wizard 18 / Fighter 2
Hexblade 1 / Wizard 17 / Fighter 2
Cleric 1 / Wizard 17 / Fighter 2
Eldritch Knight 11 / Wizard 9
Eldritch Knight 12 / Wizard 8

Kane0
2021-03-20, 05:31 PM
Battlemaster / Bladesinger or Psi Knight / War Mage

MrStabby
2021-03-20, 06:07 PM
Rune Knight X, Divination wizard 2.

Rune knight is pretty awesome, wizard 1 gives a load of utility with access to so many rituals. Combat is somewhat good with access to shield and absorb elements as well. With arcane recovery you will see some uses of your spell slots as well. From there... taking that extra level to pick up portent... well it just seems rude no to given that you can throw down some good save effects from rune knight as well.

Yakmala
2021-03-20, 06:19 PM
War Wizard 2, Fighter X. Dexterity based Fighter of your choice. Use Tactical Wit + Alert feat to act first. Use Arcane Deflection to bolster AC and saves.

Man_Over_Game
2021-03-20, 06:58 PM
Depends on what your primary action is going to be. Since attacks and magic are generally mutually exclusive (as you only get 1 action, and both need it), you need to decide which is your main tool.

If you plan on taking wizard to level 5, Fireball is going to pretty much outdamage most scenarios a Fighter could swing a sword at, with more wizard levels just meaning more fireballs, so I'd suggest either:

Stop your wizard levels at 4-ish, maximizing your Gish playstyle and the Attack Action (Something like a Battlemaster, Eldritch Knight, Arcane Archer, etc. with whatever flavor of Wizard you like most). This gets you a lot of augments to your Attack action and mobility.
OR

Pump as many Wizard levels as you want (some kind of close-range or concentration variant), putting as many levels into Fighter as you prefer before you hit level 5 (which would get you stuck with Extra Attack, which is redundant against most of your cantrips). This gets you better AC, extra HP, Action Surge, a feat, etc.

Basically, as soon as you put both of these classes to level 5, you're ending up in situations where you're sacrificing potential power when you otherwise wouldn't need to. (Similar to how you don't want more than 5 levels in two martial classes due to redundant Extra Attack features).

LudicSavant
2021-03-20, 07:05 PM
Depends on what your primary action is going to be. Since attacks and magic are generally mutually exclusive (as you only get 1 action, and both need it), you need to decide which is your main tool.

If you plan on taking wizard to level 5, Fireball is going to pretty much outdamage most scenarios a Fighter could swing a sword at, with more wizard levels just meaning more fireballs, so I'd suggest either:

Stop your wizard levels at 4-ish, maximizing your Gish playstyle and the Attack Action (Something like a Battlemaster, Eldritch Knight, Arcane Archer, etc. with whatever flavor of Wizard you like most). This gets you a lot of augments to your Attack action and mobility.
OR

Pump as many Wizard levels as you want (some kind of close-range or concentration variant), putting as many levels into Fighter as you prefer before you hit level 5 (which would get you stuck with Extra Attack, which is redundant against most of your cantrips). This gets you better AC, extra HP, Action Surge, a feat, etc.

Basically, as soon as you put both of these classes to level 5, you're ending up in situations where you're sacrificing potential power when you otherwise wouldn't need to. (Similar to how you don't want more than 5 levels in two martial classes due to redundant Extra Attack features).

If you want just one Extra Attack take Bladesinger, not Fighter 5.

Salmon343
2021-03-20, 07:35 PM
I think Fighter 2/Bladesinger X is a good way to go, honestly. You're always only one spell level behind, and get a fighting style, second wind, and most importantly - action surge, for that sweet sweet nova.

Making a Monk/Bladesinger build taught me that (class level + int modifier) spells is a lot less to work with than you think, and that picking gish oriented spells and staples like Fly, Dispel Magic, and Counterspell, takes up a lot of known spells. In other words, you can be majority Wizard and still have a very gish oriented playstyle.

You can always trade a level in Wizard for a third Fighter Level, giving you a Martial Archetype but still hitting 9th level spells at the mythical 20th level. Battle Master is a splendid option there, as you get a gish that can perfectly blend magic, and martial attacks and stunts. It oozes thematics.

Frogreaver
2021-03-20, 11:16 PM

If we are talking multiclassing - I would tend to start Fighter 1/Wizard 1 for thematic purposes. Afterward, I'd probably beeline to fighter 5. Then I'd get to Wizard 5. Wizard would be mostly for defense/utility. If I made it to tier 3 I'd go for fighter 11 then finish out at wizard 9.

Race can be whatever. Obviously feats and str/int/race cantrips/race spells tend to be the most important things

Feats: I wouldn't take any feats unless I get one from variant human or have really good rolled stats. If I get that option then warcaster is the top contender (unless the DM softens the rules to allow for spell casting while wielding a sword - possibly by sheathing and drawing it more than is allowed on a turn by the rules).

Fighter Subclass: Any.

Wizard Subclass: Any.

Sherlockpwns
2021-03-21, 12:43 AM
While not “optimal” I really like the most basic Gish: the transmuter.

Either fighter 1 or 3 to start. If you go to 3, rune knight fits the theme best and snags some fun abilities and “get big”. Frankly I think 1 level is fine for the proficiency and you can dip back later on, see below. I’d go sword and board since defense is essential with your lower HP pool.

While you could be a transmutation wizard, war or blade song works just as well (or better).

As long as you have one melee attack cantrip your attacks should be fine as a default action, no need for extra attack really. Personally I prefer GFB, but if your party is short on front liners take BB. Either is fine really, but in 5e I fear swarms more than bbegs.

So then the question is: what to do with transmutation spells? Basically your goal is focused around self buffs, utility, and general Gish stuff. Some Key spells (not all transmutation)
1- shield, absorb elements, feather fall, magic missile.
2- dragons breath, enlarge, spider climb
3- haste, water breath
4- polymorph
5- transmute rock, passwall
6- tensers transformation

I would keep INT as a secondary stat, so better to cast utility spells with no save like passwall out of combat. Ideally you’ll only need a spell or two per encounter to bolster your fighting, which means you can use utility spells without fearing your combat power will suffer as a result.

Obviously this has huge power surges at spell level 3, 4, and 6. A booming blade or gfb followed by a hasted attack is nothing to sneeze at, plus the extra AC and dex save. Polymorph is just a ton of HP and dmg. Tensers is like all that and more, to the extent where I’d say at level 12 when you’d get it, you may want to consider dual wielding for a third attack and switch to a shield when you are out of transformations. Keep in mind all attacks are +2d12 dmg and have auto advantage, so maximizing attack count is essential. By this time hopefully someone else in the party can haste you too.

Anyway at this point (player level 12) you could consider dipping back into fighter for action surge, a subclass, and/or an ASI. I wouldn’t go beyond level 4... but that brings you to level 15, which is beyond where most people play anyway.

By focusing on utility and self buffs you can keep INT at 13 or 14, letting you pump str and / or Con. You’ll have less HP than a standard fighter and do slightly less damage if you can’t trigger the cantrip secondary dmg, but you’ll have far more utility via spells and you’ll pass the fighter on damage after polymorph. Maybe even after haste.

It may be worth picking up war caster to maintain concentration (and to booming blade someone who tries to walk away from you). Any dwarf, Goliath, or really any race will be fine here. If I had to pick I would consider Mountain Dwarf for the +2/+2 and start with 17 str and con. Bring both to 18 for your first ASI and warcaster for the second. Someday you can dream about a third ASI for 20 str or con.

Anyway so that’s my suggestion. A bit basic, but it’s a flexible Gish ready for anything. At level 13 you can revel in the once per short rest 6 attacks in a round under tensers. (Which is something like 2d6+4d8+12d12+4x str in potential damage?)

Chugger
2021-03-21, 05:14 AM
F2/Hexblade1/Abj wiz 17

It's an Iron Wizard or Battle Mage variant that is very tough. You go med armor and shield up til the point you can afford plate and a gauntlet of ogre power or something to deal with movement penalty and hvy armor.

Hexblade or some warlock is to get, among other things, armor of Agathys, which you upcast. Use a new feat to get the invo where you can cast mage armor at will; use that to recharge your ward.

AoA when upcast is an insanely good spell. When things hit you and you're wearing a 20 hp AoA, they take 20 cold damage per blow that lands - and the damage comes out of your ward, first, so AoA lasts much longer. If you know you're going to be attacked, cast blade ward to halve all incoming normal damage. And your AoA lasts longer.

You get all the normal wiz hijinks and awesome spells, plus an insane health pool and a great ac and other really nice tricks.

Omni-Centrist
2021-03-21, 10:59 AM
While not “optimal” I really like the most basic Gish: the transmuter.

Either fighter 1 or 3 to start. If you go to 3, rune knight fits the theme best and snags some fun abilities and “get big”. Frankly I think 1 level is fine for the proficiency and you can dip back later on, see below. I’d go sword and board since defense is essential with your lower HP pool.

While you could be a transmutation wizard, war or blade song works just as well (or better).

As long as you have one melee attack cantrip your attacks should be fine as a default action, no need for extra attack really. Personally I prefer GFB, but if your party is short on front liners take BB. Either is fine really, but in 5e I fear swarms more than bbegs.

So then the question is: what to do with transmutation spells? Basically your goal is focused around self buffs, utility, and general Gish stuff. Some Key spells (not all transmutation)
1- shield, absorb elements, feather fall, magic missile.
2- dragons breath, enlarge, spider climb
3- haste, water breath
4- polymorph
5- transmute rock, passwall
6- tensers transformation

I would keep INT as a secondary stat, so better to cast utility spells with no save like passwall out of combat. Ideally you’ll only need a spell or two per encounter to bolster your fighting, which means you can use utility spells without fearing your combat power will suffer as a result.

Obviously this has huge power surges at spell level 3, 4, and 6. A booming blade or gfb followed by a hasted attack is nothing to sneeze at, plus the extra AC and dex save. Polymorph is just a ton of HP and dmg. Tensers is like all that and more, to the extent where I’d say at level 12 when you’d get it, you may want to consider dual wielding for a third attack and switch to a shield when you are out of transformations. Keep in mind all attacks are +2d12 dmg and have auto advantage, so maximizing attack count is essential. By this time hopefully someone else in the party can haste you too.

Anyway at this point (player level 12) you could consider dipping back into fighter for action surge, a subclass, and/or an ASI. I wouldn’t go beyond level 4... but that brings you to level 15, which is beyond where most people play anyway.

By focusing on utility and self buffs you can keep INT at 13 or 14, letting you pump str and / or Con. You’ll have less HP than a standard fighter and do slightly less damage if you can’t trigger the cantrip secondary dmg, but you’ll have far more utility via spells and you’ll pass the fighter on damage after polymorph. Maybe even after haste.

It may be worth picking up war caster to maintain concentration (and to booming blade someone who tries to walk away from you). Any dwarf, Goliath, or really any race will be fine here. If I had to pick I would consider Mountain Dwarf for the +2/+2 and start with 17 str and con. Bring both to 18 for your first ASI and warcaster for the second. Someday you can dream about a third ASI for 20 str or con.

Anyway so that’s my suggestion. A bit basic, but it’s a flexible Gish ready for anything. At level 13 you can revel in the once per short rest 6 attacks in a round under tensers. (Which is something like 2d6+4d8+12d12+4x str in potential damage?)

I always thought a Monk 1 level dip made more sense than a fighter, for the save profs and free BA attack.

Theodoxus
2021-03-21, 01:17 PM
I'd go Half-elf, Str and Con +1, Int +2; swap out for High Elf, bonus cantrip Booming Blade (start 16 Str, 13 Con, 16 Int, Dex 10+ (for initiative))
Start Fighter 1, grab Dueling (more damage) or Defense (better AC). S&B with a warhammer to start with best armor you can afford.
Next, Wizard 1 - at 2nd level, you're basically either moving like a tank, or possibly standing back throwing your best couple of spells and then moving into melee using BB to lock down opponents.
3rd level, Wizard 2 - go Bladesinger. Still using your wizard spells to start the fight and BB to end them. Sell your armor, beat the snot out of your rogue friend for his +1 studded leather and promise deceive him that you'll keep him safe. (With an 8 Charisma, you're sure he believes you. That 8 Wisdom backs up that self bluff.)
4th - 5th levels, some better spells. Now, you've got your first ASI. Grab Crusher (+1 Con, moar HP!) and now you're really bringing pain. Your BB is starting to matter too.
6th level, Fighter 2 for Action Surge or Wizard 5 for Fireball and other lovelies, whichever you think is going to help the party more.
7th level, Fighter 2 (if Wizard 5) or Wizard 5 (if Fighter 2), picks up what you didn't grab the previous level.
8th level, Wizard 6. Extra attack, and that fun fun Cantrip swap. Welcome to 2 1/2 Men warhammer hit!
9th-20th - MOAR WIZARD! This just brings you more options before you're wading into combat, or when you're out of 'dancing. (boost Int to 20 then Str to 18 with your ASI)

If your DM is a stickler about casting S/M spells with a shield, drop it. Yeah, your AC suffers, but you're getting another +1 out of your 2H warhammer, baby! (I also recommend grabbing Defense over Dueling if this is the case.)

MODS:
I can see going for EK in the build, just for a few more spells known, since it doesn't sacrifice your spell slot progression to grab that 3rd level of Fighter. Weapon Bond is a pretty nifty ability, not sure it's worth the loss of Wizard progression, but that's your call. War Magic is strictly worse than Bladesinger's Extra Attack cantrip swap, so I wouldn't go that far. 4th level Fighter for the extra ASI isn't worth the loss of your 9th level spells... If the campaign is only going to the mid teens, then maybe... but doubtful - you'll probably want as strong of spells you can get, especially if you're the sole arcane full caster.

Dork_Forge
2021-03-21, 02:14 PM
I'd go Dex based, starting Fighter 6, then jumping in for a spash of Wizard, maybe 5 total.

Subclasses, in general I'd avoid Eldritch Knight, yeah you get more slots and spells, but I'd rather grab the combat boost from Battle Master or Psi Warrior. For Wizard War Mage is most likely on a Battle Master and Bladesinger on a Psi Warrior, Abjurer is pretty pointless imo unless you're mainlining it.

da newt
2021-03-21, 02:31 PM
Depends on what you are trying to build.

Currently I'm looking at a Fighter 1 then all Wizard Vendalkin. All I'm really looking for from the 1 lvl fighter dip is armor, defensive FS, CON and ST saves, and 2nd Wind - then it's just a 1 lvl delayed tanky Wizard (a variation of the hobgoblin iron wizard).

What do you want to build? A magical melee warrior, a well armored back row caster, a true 50-50 Gish, ... ?

5eNeedsDarksun
2021-03-21, 03:20 PM
I think Fighter 2/Bladesinger X is a good way to go, honestly. You're always only one spell level behind, and get a fighting style, second wind, and most importantly - action surge, for that sweet sweet nova.

Making a Monk/Bladesinger build taught me that (class level + int modifier) spells is a lot less to work with than you think, and that picking gish oriented spells and staples like Fly, Dispel Magic, and Counterspell, takes up a lot of known spells. In other words, you can be majority Wizard and still have a very gish oriented playstyle.

You can always trade a level in Wizard for a third Fighter Level, giving you a Martial Archetype but still hitting 9th level spells at the mythical 20th level. Battle Master is a splendid option there, as you get a gish that can perfectly blend magic, and martial attacks and stunts. It oozes thematics.

It's pretty hard not to keep coming back to Bladesinger here. You get a full caster with a multiattack that's better not only than the 5th level fighter, but the 7th EK. I like the idea of getting F3 for the fighter subclass. Battlemaster is good, but Echo Knight I like as well.

Sherlockpwns
2021-03-21, 06:42 PM
I always thought a Monk 1 level dip made more sense than a fighter, for the save profs and free BA attack.

Well the thread called for fighter, so I took it literally. As far as what is better, a fighter in heavy armor will have better AC. The BA is nice, but you really need the con save for maintaining concentration to keep those self buffs going. Giving up the fighting style is also a loss.

Lastly, monk needs dex, wis, con, and INT (13 only) while the fighter only needs str con and INT, so... long story short is I think monk is fine too but it’s a very different build, since you can’t use the BA attack with the scag cantrip. The scag cantrips are nice because they progress normally, so while your spell casting is a level behind, the melee dps isn’t.

I think a monk Gish would have a lot more monk levels, probably minimum 5, and avoid using the scag cantrips in favor of regular attacks.

Just my thoughts though.

Kylar0990
2021-03-21, 08:24 PM

Currently playing an Eldritch Knight/Abjuration Wizard. It's been a fun character to play.

kingcheesepants
2021-03-21, 11:15 PM
I was actually the DM for a campaign that went from 15-20 (it was an insane tier 4 campaign) I let the players use all WotC published materials and multiclass as much as they liked. One of my players ended as Warlock 1/Evoker Wizard 17 and fighter 2. Playing as a Yuan-ti. It was the powerbuild to end powerbuilds. He one shotted an ancient dragon with magic missile and while he and the team had to push themselves against the tarrasque backed by the CR 26 Archmage and some helmed horrors (who specifically were warded against his most common attacks) they managed to beat them all. His usual go to was globe of invulnerability if going up against other casters (to prevent counterspell), forcecage, sickening radiance (from his simulacrum if he had globe up), magic missile against single targets, fireball or meteor swarm for clearing a large area, misty step, shield and absorb elements to make sure nothing could hit or trap him. The fighter levels came up during the very tail end of the game and were really only used for action surge and a few extra HP. But still being able to cast 4 spells in one turn (if both him and the simulacrum action surge) was just a crazy amount of power. If you aren't playing in a tier 4 game then I'm not sure I would even bother with the fighter levels. Wizards want to get their cool high level spells as soon as possible and while a 1 level dip into cleric or warlock to get some armor and a few nice abilities can be worth it. The 2 level dip for action surge doesn't seem like it'd be worth being a whole spell level behind everyone else for the whole game.

bid
2021-03-21, 11:49 PM
Con > Wis > Dex, I'd rather keep Wis than start as monk.

Omni-Centrist
2021-03-22, 12:27 AM
Con > Wis > Dex, I'd rather keep Wis than start as monk.

What I did was ,I created a Character using Point by (14,14,14,13,9,8), started with Custom Lineage for +2 dex and Unarmed Fighting Style for d8s via Fighting Initiative Feat. It felt like I was hitting pretty good, and once you hit Level for the the ASi you can make your decision on what you prioritize: Dex or Int. I feel like since this a Gist first and spellcaster second, Dex should be the focus, with a Helm of Intellectul coming to shore up int. Or, alternatively, you could give Int the ASIs and find a Giant Belt to use Strength instead of Dex.

It takes some work but It functions well. With high enough dex or Int and greater invis (Monk1/ Wizard 7) you can hardcore solo high CR enemies, but even at 7 with Bladesinger Extra attack you can do some real damage and be crazy hard to hit.

Droppeddead
2021-03-22, 05:52 AM
I have this idea for a very nihilistic chaotic neutral high-elf warrior. According to them everything, even the act of creation, will ultimately lead to the end of everything so the best that you can do is to enjoy it while you can. Being a long-lived elf will of course affect that. Because of this they are not exactly the most socially adept character.

Mechanics-wise, go for something like this. Take Booming Blade as your HE cantrip, pump Dex, Con and Int, dump charisma and all social skills. Take fighter until level 7 and make sure you grab Fey Touched for Misty Step and Hex. Then take 2 levels of wizard. Go war magic to boost Initiative and for some ranged cantrips. For spells grab Ray of Frost, (perhaps Sword Burst), Shield and whatever else you like. Take an 8th level of Fighter for another ASI or feat and then, just for the hell of it, 2 levels of artificer for some fun magical tinkering and some handy infusions. This is probably sub-optimal if you're going for level 20 but it is fun as heck and if you roll well probably isn't an issue. It also displays the character's complete lack of commitment to a anything, they do what's fun.

From the artificer spell list we get Guidance and perhaps magic stone or Firebolt (or message for utility). For spells, Disguise self, longstrider and Jump is always fun. The best thing about grabbing at least a level of Artficer is that it gives you two second level spell slots that you can use to transcribe wizard spells with.

To sum it up, at level 9 you can deal force, thunder, necrotic and cold damage, you have a very nice bonus to Initiative and you are very mobile with Misty Step, Longstrider and Psi-powered leap (which stacks with Longstrider). You can negate hits with Shield or reduce the damage with Protective field if Shield isn't enough. When you get your levels in Artificer you can also deal fire damage and you can use Guidance to better your chances even if you try to use social skills. All in all a very versatile and more importantly, fun character.

Speaking of fun, just to drive home the point of this being a character who can't keep focus on just a single thing, grab the Chef feat just because this is something that also might be a good distraction from the futility of life. :)

Man_Over_Game
2021-03-22, 10:52 AM
If you want just one Extra Attack take Bladesinger, not Fighter 5.

Oh, wow, I've been out of the loop. Totally missed that Bladesingers got a buff to their Extra Attack feature.

With that, I don't really see much of a reason to have a Fighter/Wizard multiclass. Any kind of extra endurance you might need could easily be compensated with a feat (Tough on a Wizard brings their HP/level to roughly the same as a Fighter).

Average damage per hit ~= 10
Booming Blade damage @5, 50% proc chance: = 9

Even if Fighters get Action Surge, they're still only outputting 4 attacks' worth of damage on that first turn, while Bladesingers can (as their bare minimum) output ~3 attacks' worth per turn without expending any resources. That's on top of the fact that a Fireball deals like 20 damage after including a 50% miss chance against all targets in a massive AoE, and they can do that twice at that level.

The only thing you'd have to figure out is durability. Even if you spent all of your spells and slots on defensive options to make sure you could keep up with a Fighter's toughness, you'd still have cantrips over him and still deal like 50% more per-turn damage.

Man, that buff was stupid.

bid
2021-03-22, 11:40 AM
It takes some work but It functions well. With high enough dex or Int and greater invis (Monk1/ Wizard 7) you can hardcore solo high CR enemies, but even at 7 with Bladesinger Extra attack you can do some real damage and be crazy hard to hit.
I realize my post was a confusing mess...

I meant Con save from fighter is way better than Dex save from monk. And even if I was dipping monk, I'd still start wizard to get the Wis save.

ScoutTrooper
2021-03-22, 12:16 PM
I watched a friend pilot an Axe-man archetypal character, as pure EK. I was trying to build his like 'evil/shadow' self, and I ended up with something like Divination Wizard / Fighter. Then some time after I saw Tulok's building character video on King Bradley. Which looks like it fits better and is now something I would want to play, if I can break the Forever DM curse. It's something like V.Human (Lucky feat) Divination Wizard 5 / Fighter 15 the spells to help booster yourself, not so much spell attacks.

Vogie
2021-03-22, 01:47 PM
War Wizard 2, Fighter X. Dexterity based Fighter of your choice. Use Tactical Wit + Alert feat to act first. Use Arcane Deflection to bolster AC and saves.

I've played this - it's incredibly fun. EK with Haste and Arcane Deflection is just scary

I could also see it as a Arcane Archer with War Wizard 2.

Hael
2021-03-22, 02:06 PM
Eks are pretty classic wizard combos but I feel post Tashas that they’ve taken a bit of a hit knowing what was given to bladesingers.

I prefer the hex or cleric 1, fighter2, Wizard X chassis.

If I had to go fighter 3, it would be echo knight (which I think is a good bit more powerful than battlemaster or psi knight). Bonus action teleport and an echo bumper to get reaction attacks is ridiculously powerful.

A chronurgist is also an excellent Gish platform compared to the usual bladesinger or warmage. The extra initiative is crazy strong and the extra free concentration is very powerful (cast haste and shadowblade) which is secretly like getting extra attack.

grungle
2022-09-04, 02:54 PM
I'm about to do a similar build! Glad to see someone who tried and liked it.

Starting Fighter 1/Runecrafter(UA) Wizard 2 as a Goliath in Icewind Dale. Planning to scale to Rune Knight 7, then take some more Wizard levels to get 2nd/3rd spell slots in midgame. Hoping to take some of the Giant UA Feats along the way for more flavorful wildness.

I'm going almost all utility/ritual spells besides defensive reactions. It's a really fun idea to have options for functional reactions every turn outside of opportunity attacks.

I've been warned against it for scaling reasons, hoping it works. In the least, it'll be rich

Rune Knight X, Divination wizard 2.

Rune knight is pretty awesome, wizard 1 gives a load of utility with access to so many rituals. Combat is somewhat good with access to shield and absorb elements as well. With arcane recovery you will see some uses of your spell slots as well. From there... taking that extra level to pick up portent... well it just seems rude no to given that you can throw down some good save effects from rune knight as well.

Peelee
2022-09-04, 05:59 PM
The Mod on the Silver Mountain: The wizard shouldn't specialize in Necromancy.