PDA

View Full Version : Swashbuckling Adventures (d20) missing monster: Vodyanoi/Setine

petermcleod117
2021-03-20, 08:16 PM
So, I'm really liking what I'm reading in the swashbuckling adventures rulebook, lore-wise. mechanics-wise I suspect it's more than a little wonky. However, that's not what I'm here to talk about.

The entire setting (both d20 material and 7th Sea) appears to be missing a monster which should be statted up. The Vodyanoi (AKA the Setine). As the only Syrneth (alien) species confirmed to both still exist and have a functioning civilization in the mortal plane, you would think that they would be on the top of the list for stats, but as it is they remain one of the only two syrneth species without stats (the other being the Razhdost, but that's understandable since the Razhdost are essentially gods).

Of course, I could just be blind and the actual stats are in a manual I haven't checked.

In any case, does anyone know where I can find a stat write-up for them?

(I can find some close parallels in other sources, but they're imperfect because they conflict with established lore on one point or another. the Vodyanoi in Dragon 290 is fey, when Syrneth are strictly not fey for lore reasons, and the version of the Vodyanoi in Frost and Fur is classified as a shapechanger, when it is explicitly established in the Ussura sourcebook that the Vodyanoi cannot change their shape unless they take the Pyryem Sorcerer base class.)

anyways, any help would be appreciated.

edit: the fact that they can't change shape was actually established in the Explorer's Society handbook, not the Ussura sourcebook. my mistake.