PDA

View Full Version : Do you use inspiration?

quinron
2021-03-20, 09:25 PM
I've never had a problem getting players to roleplay, which seems to be what this mechanic is designed to do. The first time I ran 5e I tried to be conscious of inspiration, but I never handed it out during the session, and even though I followed the rule of each player starting with it, I think it was only used twice in the span of like 6 sessions. I've since totally abandoned it.

I'm curious: if you're running 5e and you use inspiration, when and why do you hand it out? If you're playing 5e and you use inspiration, how do you tend to spend it; if you don't use it, do you wish you had it? If you've played or run both with and without it, how do the experiences compare?

Dork_Forge
2021-03-20, 09:35 PM
I hand out inspiration for moments of above average roleplay, where the spotlight is on the character and they rise to the occasion in an impressive manner, make a choice that is detrimental to them as a player because they're in the mindset of the PC, occasionally for really good jokes, and for the top of the session recap (I determine which player does this with a die roll, I find it gets everyone back on point to pick back up, as well as giving me some last minute prep time if I notice something).

I don't use inspiration in the standard manner however, I allow it to be used as a reroll after the fact, as well as giving players custom uses (like a dragonborn recharging their breath), and allowing non RAW things that stretch believability or balance (you can attempt to do x, but you'll need to make y check and burn your inpsiration).

Thunderous Mojo
2021-03-20, 10:59 PM
As a DM, I use Inspiration as a reward for DM Intrusions...an idea I incorporated into 5e from the Cypher System. If I as a DM, 'intrude', and add a complication to something, the player receives Inspiration.

I still also give it for Roleplaying, good jokes, and cool ideas.

I allow players to have more than one point of Inspiration,(though unused Inspiration will reset to 1 point at the end of a session). I also have effects that cause a PC to become "Uninspired"...which results in a loss of one or more points of Inspiration and prevents a player from spending any remaining Inspiration points for a set time period. (Some curses may leave someone permanently Uninspired).

I also allow players to spend Inspiration to help their comrades' rolls.
Ideally, I want there to be a vigorous turnover of Inspiration each session.

Gecks
2021-03-20, 11:04 PM
I really like the idea of inspiration on paper, but in practice, I tend to completely forget about it, both as a DM and as a player. You would think an ability which I could use to give my character advantage for an important roll would be an easy thing for me to remember, but generally when my DM tells me I have inspiration, I smile, thank them, then realize I still have the "inspiration" box checked on my character sheet from when I got inspiration 5 sessions ago, forgotten and unused.

jas61292
2021-03-20, 11:13 PM
Been playing 5e since shortly after it first came out, and I don't think my group has ever once used Inspiration. In general, I think we all agreed that good roleplaying should just be something you do, and you shouldn't get (or need) any sort of mechanical reward for it. I also personally just never liked the idea that something you do in one context could just give you an arbitrary boost in some completely different context.

This all said, I have only really played with one relatively consistent group. If I was to play with other people and they liked the mechanic and used it, I would not complain. I just see no need for it.

Witty Username
2021-03-20, 11:26 PM
Yes,
However, I made some changes, I have a few rules in addition:
1. At the start of the character I have the player roll a d20 for their starting inspiration. Having a pile seems to help people remember it is there.
2. I award a point of inspiration when the player rolls a natural 1.
3. I allow spending 2 points to re-roll a d20, so a player can use them if they were reminded that they had them after the roll, the penalty is to reward more risky behavior.
4. I will sometimes use inspiration like luck in Call of Cthulhu, If I want something bad to happen to a party member the one with the lowest inspiration will take the blow.

HPisBS
2021-03-20, 11:31 PM
Yes,
However, I made some changes, I have a few rules in addition:
1. At the start of the character I have the player roll a d20 for their starting inspiration. Having a pile seems to help people remember it is there.
2. I award a point of inspiration when the player rolls a natural 1.
3. I allow spending 2 points to re-roll a d20, so a player can use them if they were reminded that they had them after the roll, the penalty is to reward more risky behavior.
4. I will sometimes use inspiration like luck in Call of Cthulhu, If I want something bad to happen to a party member the one with the lowest inspiration will take the blow.

I like that. Not so sure about the initial d20 part; it sounds too swingy. And I'm not sure I like the wanting something bad to happen to a PC part lol. But everything else makes lots of sense to me.

Tanarii
2021-03-20, 11:39 PM
Yes. But the rule of gaining it for personality traits is really difficult when you've got large groups. Even with only 4 people it can be hard. But players will forget to use it, even if you give them a large poker chip to remind them. Which is weird, because 4e players never forgot to use their action surges with the same chip. Advantage is smaller than a whole extra action (with triggered bonuses), but given how much players will work for it, it's kind of surprising. 2 free advantage rolls per session is pretty nice! (2 seems to be the intended amount.)

An alternative rule I like from Angry DM is to just give advantage on any check that's in-trait. Of course, if I was going that direction, I'd probably just steal Forbidden Lands Concept of Pride: describe something specific you're good at, and twice per session you can activate it to get advantage. e.g. Thieves tools picking locks, Athletics jumping, Lore checks for Goblinoids, Perception scouting for enemies, investigation figuring out how to disable a trap, attacking foes with shields, etc. With the caveat that if you fail you lose it for a session and then must change it.

Waterdeep Merch
2021-03-20, 11:50 PM
I don't use it, either as a DM or as a player. Not that I don't reward it as a DM; I do, just... so rarely that I might as well not. My players are good about roleplaying in general, how on earth do I properly separate the good roleplayers from the bad without clear favoritism? And when I do, no one ever actually uses it. As a player, I forget all about it. I think I've maybe spent one or two points, ever, and I'm not actually sure that's true. It just feels like I would've at some point?

Inspiration has three major problems. One is the aforementioned problem with how to fairly reward it when everyone at your table is earnestly trying to roleplay. Another is that it doesn't stack, making it an absurdly limited resource that you always feel needs to be saved for a special occasion, like that set of nice porcelain dishes you never use because no one's ever actually important enough to use it. The third problem is that even when you do use it, the effects are kinda crap. Advantage isn't strong enough for something this limited, and it rarely ever actually matters. And the few times it would, like when you fail an important saving throw, you've probably forgotten you had it in the first place because of the second point setting the thought of doing so on some high shelf you never reach for.

I'm discussing fixing this with my players, and the best we've got is close to the Action Points of 4e. They made a splash when used, came often enough that you'd actually remember to use them, and the method for obtaining them was clear and reliable for the players. So, each player has some unique thing that they can spend inspiration on based on their background, they stack throughout the day but always revert after a long rest, they start with one each day and another after the second fight (and subsequent fights) past their last rest, they can choose to fail a meaningful check without rolling for it to gain an extra point, and I still reserve the right to award more for story reasons. This is a big work in progress, but I'd really like to see these things actually matter for once.

quinron
2021-03-20, 11:57 PM
One of my big complaints about inspiration re:roleplaying is that it seems designed to encourage rounded characters, but it actually makes them less dynamic - it locks characters into a set of traits that are defined at creation. While class and race also do this to some degree, it's primarily mechanical; holding onto a predefined list of roleplaying traits hamstrings character development. Admittedly, there are implications peppered throughout the game that personality traits, etc., should be dynamic and should change over time, but that requires me to graft a whole subsystem onto the game to determine at which point a character has changed enough to merit changing their traits, all for the sake of what is ultimately a very minor mechanic.

Tanarii
2021-03-21, 12:03 AM
If a character needs to change a personality trait, or add a new one, or remove one, just do it. It's doesn't require anything special.

That said, I agree that inspiration as a reward for personality traits isn't great. It encourages players to gamy them by writing ones that will come up often in the campaign. Although now that I write that out, that's not necessarily a terrible thing. But it also requires a DM to keep active track of all their players' personality traits simultaneously. It also switches the traits from a roleplaying aide that can be switched up without any issues to a game mechanic.

Like I said, I think Pride, a subset of a check (ie specific check + circumstance) usable twice per session is a better way to go. It's no as flexible as advantage on any roll, but it'll help focus the mechanical aspect of the character.

Witty Username
2021-03-21, 12:10 AM
I like that. Not so sure about the initial d20 part; it sounds too swingy. And I'm not sure I like the wanting something bad to happen to a PC part lol. But everything else makes lots of sense to me.
If you want less swingy I would recomend 3d6 or 4d6 drop lowest, it gets similar numbers but is more likely toward the middle.

Most of the time the "bad" is who gets targeted first in the ambush, but it is more in tone with call of chulhu where horror tropes is a thing, and who gets the horror trope is the one with the worst luck (or opposed luck checks if you are being fancy).

Segev
2021-03-21, 10:09 AM
I was always very bad at assigning it. The DM of the game I'm in now gives it at least once a session, sometimes just for winning an encounter. My advice based on this would be to look for an excuse during the first challenge the party faces in a given session to assign inspiration, and assign it afterwards if not during for the excuse you came up with. To the whole party if at all possible.

Lunali
2021-03-21, 10:46 AM
I allow it to be used retroactively, like luck. This means people are more likely to remember it and make use of it, and since they tend to use it more often I tend to remember to hand it out more.

JonBeowulf
2021-03-21, 11:05 AM
I'm taking a break from DMing and remembering what it's like to play.

At the beginning of each session, our DM has us roll a d20 and the lowest has to recount what happened during the previous session. Regardless of how well they do, they get inspiration. It helps get everyone on the same page at the beginning of the session instead of a bunch of, "wait... what are we doing? Who's this guy? Where are we going?" questions during gameplay.

He hands it out for other reasons, too.

quinron
2021-03-21, 11:20 AM
I hand out inspiration for moments of above average roleplay, where the spotlight is on the character and they rise to the occasion in an impressive manner, make a choice that is detrimental to them as a player because they're in the mindset of the PC, occasionally for really good jokes, and for the top of the session recap (I determine which player does this with a die roll, I find it gets everyone back on point to pick back up, as well as giving me some last minute prep time if I notice something).

I'm taking a break from DMing and remembering what it's like to play.

At the beginning of each session, our DM has us roll a d20 and the lowest has to recount what happened during the previous session. Regardless of how well they do, they get inspiration. It helps get everyone on the same page at the beginning of the session instead of a bunch of, "wait... what are we doing? Who's this guy? Where are we going?" questions during gameplay.

He hands it out for other reasons, too.

I appreciate the feedback, but I personally find the idea of a player recap totally anathema. Before I start my recaps, my players are usually trying to figure out what happened last session and utterly failing to remember it. And the things they tend to remember are "I got a crit and nearly one-shot the miniboss" or "I got knocked out three times;" definitely the most frequent question before I get started is "I forgot - why are we in this dungeon?"

I think I may start handing out inspiration as a group reward - I've never really like "milestone XP;" my players are typically asking for XP values after fights if I forget, so I can tell they get some little dopamine rush out of that reward. Inspiration feels like a good way to hand out a little bonus when they accomplish something significant - kinda like the free ember effect after beating a boss in Dark Souls 3.

Crucius
2021-03-21, 11:26 AM
In my game each player automatically receives inspiration at the start of each session (represented by a metal coin).

An Inspiration Token can then be used not to get advantage/reroll, but to change something minor in the world; need a cart in the road for cover? Hand me the coin and there will be a cart! Need an NPC to have a specific quirk you can base your roleplay around? You are one coin away from making it a truth. Same goes for establishing something in the lore. Players can also pool together if they want to make more significant changes to the world.

As long as it improves roleplay, I'm usually down with their suggestions. The coin is just there to force me to accept their ideas, and serves as a reminder to not be too adamant when it comes to my own ideas vs theirs.

JonBeowulf
2021-03-21, 12:00 PM
I appreciate the feedback, but I personally find the idea of a player recap totally anathema. Before I start my recaps, my players are usually trying to figure out what happened last session and utterly failing to remember it. And the things they tend to remember are "I got a crit and nearly one-shot the miniboss" or "I got knocked out three times;" definitely the most frequent question before I get started is "I forgot - why are we in this dungeon?"

Dude, I feel for you. I'm the only truly experienced player in my group -- I'm working with the DM to teach new players how to have fun and not suck the fun out of everyone else. Our recaps have always been story-relevant.

Although they usually involve something our dragonborn rogue did. He's known as "The Dragon of Poor Decisions" for a reason.

Dork_Forge
2021-03-21, 02:03 PM

I use recaps as a tool to increase positive behaviour and engagement, Ive found that players do better taking notes if they know they could be called upon in front of the party. Though I've never had that level of problem with players, are your games weekly or further apart?

Sigreid
2021-03-21, 02:25 PM
I wanted to get the party into remembering to use inspiration and not hording it so I implemented a house rule that you get an inspiration point at the start of each session and then can earn them normally. But, of course, you can have only one at a time. This also means everyone has a second chance built in to save their behinds once per session.

quinron
2021-03-21, 03:23 PM
I use recaps as a tool to increase positive behaviour and engagement, Ive found that players do better taking notes if they know they could be called upon in front of the party. Though I've never had that level of problem with players, are your games weekly or further apart?

No, but I tend to play mostly with first-timers that I'm teaching the game to, return players who have only played in one or two other games (probably DM'ed by me, probably not lasting longer than ~10 sessions because I lost the other newbies), and kick-in-the-door fans. The first two types are using most of their mental energy trying to remember how their features and/or spells work, and the latter type care a lot less about why they came to the dungeon than what they're going to do once they're in it.

There's also the fact that, playing on Discord lately, I've gotten to see my players' notes; they have no idea what's important and what's totally incidental. The point of the recap - as I see it, anyway - is to make sure everyone's aware of the overarching goal of the game before we get into the session. If the PCs get assigned to track down a criminal in session 1, tail him through sessions 2 and 3, catch up to him at the end of session 4, and kill him in a fight at the start of session 5, whose fault is it that they don't get their reward because they were supposed to bring him back in alive? Because I can guarantee that there are going to be more people at that table blaming you for not reminding them than blaming themselves for not remembering.

ad_hoc
2021-03-21, 03:49 PM
I don't want to remember what the PC's traits are and I don't want there to be an extra unit to keep track of.

So, I put the onus on the players. They request Inspiration if a roll occurs related to something they are doing that involves their traits. If granted, they get Advantage to that roll.

Nothing to keep track of.

Nifft
2021-03-21, 03:59 PM
Nice.

One thing I like to do is hand out Inspiration for being convinced (in-character) by another player or NPC, in other words for going along with something which seems reasonable in-character but might not be optimal from a metagame perspective, as long as the arguments for are targeting your character's notable traits.

This can be gamed, slightly, but since it requires in-character disagreement and then in-character arguments which target known personality traits, the manner in which it is gamed seems to turn into good roleplaying, and I'm all for that.

da newt
2021-03-21, 04:02 PM
Yes, but more as an exception than as a rule.

DM inspiration is handed out as a reward for exceptional XXXX. Then it is the Player's responsibility to remember they have it and use it.

quinron
2021-03-21, 08:43 PM
Nice.

One thing I like to do is hand out Inspiration for being convinced (in-character) by another player or NPC, in other words for going along with something which seems reasonable in-character but might not be optimal from a metagame perspective, as long as the arguments for are targeting your character's notable traits.

This can be gamed, slightly, but since it requires in-character disagreement and then in-character arguments which target known personality traits, the manner in which it is gamed seems to turn into good roleplaying, and I'm all for that.

I'm actually pretty on board for this. Especially if they're being persuaded into something possibly sub-optimal - the inspiration advantage allows you to make riskier decisions for the sake of the game.

Kane0
2021-03-21, 09:32 PM
When I remember to get out the tokens.

I generally start each session with everyone having a token, and they can be used for rerolls and other things as well as for other players as a sort of 'help' action. As long as I get engagement and interaction I'm pretty liberal with handing them out but they can't have more than one at a time.

KorvinStarmast
2021-03-23, 08:38 AM
I've never had a problem getting players to roleplay, which seems to be what this mechanic is designed to do. The first time I ran 5e I tried to be conscious of inspiration, but I never handed it out during the session, and even though I followed the rule of each player starting with it, I think it was only used twice in the span of like 6 sessions. I've since totally abandoned it.

I'm curious: if you're running 5e and you use inspiration, when and why do you hand it out? If you're playing 5e and you use inspiration, how do you tend to spend it; if you don't use it, do you wish you had it? If you've played or run both with and without it, how do the experiences compare? We use roll20 mostly. I always have "advantage always on" and default to reading the one on the left as the roll when advantage or disadvantage is not present. (Tpeeds up play. I have some players who are less than brilliant when it comes to a UI).
What has happened is that sometimes a player will see a better score on the right and want to use their inspiration. I have decided "sure!" otherwise, they have to remember that they have it, and declare it ahead of time (which is how it is supposed to be used). The roll20 front page of the char sheet has a 'yes/no' inspiration box, but with so much information, players often forget to check. I, as a player, always know when I have it or don't. But that seems to be me being unusual or something.

I give Inspiration out with considerable frequency, particularly when something cool is said or done that fits a character or a situation. If the person already has a point that they have not spent, they can immediately transfer it to a party member or to an NPC! (That last one has happened a handful of times).
I do not allow "wait, that was a crap roll, here, here use my inspiration point" after the fact. It feels to meta to me. I want players to pay attention.

The few times I have DM'd 5e in person, DM-awarded inspiration came in the form of a poker chip. It was right in front of the player on the table.
They gave the chip back to me before they rolled the dice when they wanted to use their inspiration for an attack or a tricky task they were trying.
It worked very well for us.
Bardic Inspiration was a pistachio.
If you used your bardic inspiration, you ate the pistachio. (I had previously shelled them).
If we ever play in person again, I am tempted to use mini-shots of rye whiskey (not a full shot, more like a couple of teaspoons) for Bardic Inspiration, or a tablespoon of wine ... I play with adults and so far no non drinkers.
I could go with colored Gatorade, I suppose.

I don't use inspiration in the standard manner however, I allow it to be used as a reroll after the fact, as well as giving players custom uses (like a dragonborn recharging their breath), and allowing non RAW things that stretch believability or balance (you can attempt to do x, but you'll need to make y check and burn your inpsiration). Dark Forge, I am stealing that, particularly the dragonborn recharge. I have two dragonborn PCs in my Wednesday Group.

My players are good about roleplaying in general, how on earth do I properly separate the good roleplayers from the bad without clear favoritism? That isn't the point of inspiration. The point is to award an instance of good roleplay when it occurs, and more broadly speaking, an instance of good play when it occurs. If you are seeing it as yet another form of competition, I must confess that I'll scratch my head on that one. :smallconfused:

Inspiration has three major problems.
I get the idea that you are seeing this in an analytical framework ...

One is the aforementioned problem with how to fairly reward it when everyone at your table is earnestly trying to roleplay.
Not actually a problem, In My Experience.

Another is that it doesn't stack, making it an absurdly limited resource that you always feel needs to be saved for a special occasion, like that set of nice porcelain dishes you never use because no one's ever actually important enough to use it. Not a problem; honestly, I am not sure why you think that it's a problem. As to the absurdly limited resource, see also Warlock Spells Slots and Potions that needs to be saved for a special occasion ... I am having a real problem wrapping my brain around "this is a problem!" :smallconfused:

The third problem is that even when you do use it, the effects are kinda crap. Advantage isn't strong enough for something this limited, and it rarely ever actually matters. It's not the main dish, it's a garnish. You don't build a character around inspiration points. Advantage is a nice bonus to a roll. I think you may be looking for more from this feature than was intended.

If a character needs to change a personality trait, or add a new one, or remove one, just do it. It's doesn't require anything special.
Bingo. Particularly adding one ...

I personally find the idea of a player recap totally anathema. We are on opposite side of the coin. We play this together; this is a shared experience. As the DM, I also want to learn what really stood out from the previous session, but I try to get all of the players do a recap, and / or fill in from what the others left out. It's a great way to link sessions together. Since you pointed out that you play a lot with first timers, now is a GREAT time to get them to engage with the adventure, not their character sheet, not with their features. "What did we do? Who did we meet? etc" Anyway, best of luck with your games.

I use recaps as a tool to increase positive behaviour and engagement, Bingo.

DM inspiration is handed out as a reward for exceptional XXXX. Then it is the Player's responsibility to remember they have it and use it. That's how my brother does it. And only one of the other players, besides me, bothers with it.

This all said, I have only really played with one relatively consistent group. If I was to play with other people and they liked the mechanic and used it, I would not complain. I just see no need for it.We played our first year without seeing it more than once or twise. (back in 2014). The game works fine without it, sure.

One of my big complaints about inspiration re:roleplaying is that it seems designed to encourage rounded characters, but it actually makes them less dynamic - it locks characters into a set of traits that are defined at creation. If someone if focusing that hard on inspiration, you need to re assess how you are implementing that minor mechanic. (Your term, and I agree with you completely, it is a minor mechanic).

I am seeing too much "IF/THEN" statement as regards the relationship between the traits, bonds, ideals, flaws and inspiration. Overmechanization of that minor mechanic strikes me as missing the point of what's written about it in the DMG. (Granted, in terms of player facing material, what's in the PHB is kind of sparse ... )

Dork_Forge
2021-03-23, 09:24 AM
Dark Forge, I am stealing that, particularly the dragonborn recharge. I have two dragonborn PCs in my Wednesday Group.

I'm flattered! I like doing things different with Dragonborn in particular:

-For the Paladin Dragonborn I allow him to Smite on his breath if he restricts it to single target instead of AOE, it gave him a nice blasting option

-I like to give out boons instead of just magic items, one of which has been bumping the breath weapon damage an additional die. I don't like the bonus action fix for it, since it basically makes it a defacto use instead of a choice

Tanarii
2021-03-23, 09:39 AM
The few times I have DM'd 5e in person, DM-awarded inspiration came in the form of a poker chip. It was right in front of the player on the table.
They gave the chip back to me before they rolled the dice when they wanted to use their inspiration for an attack or a tricky task they were trying.
It worked very well for us.
My experience has been, with multiple tables and different players, that the "poker chip" technique doesn't work well at all. Big as brightly colored thing sitting right in front of them, sometimes covering their character sheet, and they'll still forget to use it, or for some reason keep saving it. And end the session with it.

Apparently starting each session with inspiration isn't the default rule, but I always assumed it was until this thread and I went back and scanned the inspiration rules. That means not using it by end of session means it is wasted.

heavyfuel
2021-03-23, 09:43 AM
I'll be the first to admit that it's a mechanic that I often forget about. Once I DMed a campaign that reached early Tier 3 and I handed out Inspiration exactly once during that entire time.

Since then, I've asked my players to request it as a reward for good ideas and roleplaying, so now I've been more consistent in handing it out.

elyktsorb
2021-03-23, 09:48 AM
When I first started playing 5th edition it seemed like inspiration was being handed out pretty regularly in games I play. But now it's like the mechanic doesn't exist.

Joe the Rat
2021-03-23, 09:56 AM
I love the idea of it, but I would need the players to remind me when they are invoking ideals, bonds, and flaws, which is a little gamey. But since RP isn't an issue, we tend to award by group consensus, generally by entertainment value (since we play to be entertained). So much ridiculousness, epic stunts, and humor ensues. It is not uncommon to have players do something, gain inspiration, then immediately spend it to keep the crazypants thing rolling.

So basically, we use inspiration to encourage the kind of behavior we want to see in the game and at the (virtual) table.

This has produced two side effects:

1. The party is often fully Inspired. I'm okay with having an Inspiration pool, but I'm trying something different: Additional inspiration becomes a Legendary Save.
2. The DM gets awarded Inspiration. I think I had 37 at one point but I'm going to make it a by-session resource. It makes me more likely to amp up at the start

As a DM, I use Inspiration as a reward for DM Intrusions...an idea I incorporated into 5e from the Cypher System. If I as a DM, 'intrude', and add a complication to something, the player receives Inspiration.

Thank you for the reminder. I remember seeing someone do this several years ago (Starwalker Studios, play of PotA?). I was planning on trying it, but have since forgotten. I may have to revisit.

stoutstien
2021-03-23, 10:01 AM
When I first started playing 5th edition it seemed like inspiration was being handed out pretty regularly in games I play. But now it's like the mechanic doesn't exist.

Advantage is pretty easy to generate and the whole "good roleplaying" as the factor for decided who gets it and when isn't something that felt very inspiring. Not the mention it's already in the base rules that a DM can give any roll advantage or disadvantage if they determine the situation calls for it.

I use a momentum subsystem instead so a party can force success now but at the cost of higher chances of failure later.

KorvinStarmast
2021-03-23, 10:35 AM
My experience has been, with multiple tables and different players, that the "poker chip" technique doesn't work well at all. I guess it depends on the table.
and they'll still forget to use it, Yes, some players forget until one of the more vigilant players used it by cashing in their chip. "Hey, I have a chip!"

That means not using it by end of session means it is wasted. We let them carry over from session to session. But I suspect that contributes to "I forgot I have it" in at least two cases.

@Stoutstien:
It wasn't as easy to generate before Xanathar's came out. And a once per session advantage is not a lot, as the OP mentioned vis a vis minor mechanic.

Also, DM assigned advantage is underused, I suspect.

Tanarii
2021-03-23, 10:39 AM
Yes, some players forget until one of the more vigilant players used it by cashing in their chip. "Hey, I have a chip!"

Ha! Chain use of inspiration is definitely a thing! Especially in combat. One player uses it and then suddenly 2-3 others do the next round.

KorvinStarmast
2021-03-23, 10:41 AM
Ha! Chain use of inspiration is definitely a thing! Especially in combat. One player uses it and then suddenly 2-3 others do the next round. Chain of Inspiration; sounds like the name of an album by a group ... :smallbiggrin:

Kurt Kurageous
2021-03-23, 11:44 AM
Like most DMs here, I tend to forget about inspiration. I think that's because the players are generally already "winning" and don't need more help.

On recaps, only the DM should do them IMO. You don't recap EVERYTHING, only the important (and only you the DM know what is really important) things that happened and WHY the party was doing the thing they were doing. And I try to end on a cliffhanger which I include at the end of the recap. This signals the end of the recap and the start of the current session as they attempt to resolve it..

Players just can't manage all of that every time. You want player involvement, ask "What did I leave out?" and listen to the silence. If someone wants to say something, they will. But the main recap is my job.