PDA

View Full Version : +20d6 at level SEVEN? (is this possible?)

Mr. Moogle
2007-11-09, 08:49 PM
I was looking at my DMG today and i flipped to the page that has Ring creation on it, then i realized a ring of everybodys favorite spell (Magic Missle) that costed 16,200 (level 9 Magic Missle) coupled with a level 7 (that would be the minimum level for this) rouge's sneak attack (+4d6) would do 5d4+20d6+5 with no chance of failing due to armor. When i realized this i was stunned, but am i wrong?

Overlard
2007-11-09, 08:51 PM
You can't sneak attack with magic missile, so yes, you're wrong.

Vva70
2007-11-09, 08:52 PM
Magic Missile is not a ranged touch spell, and thus is not considered an attack for the purpose of sneak attack.

Fishy
2007-11-09, 08:52 PM
Because Magic Missile doesn't do an attack roll, and is therefore not a 'weapon-like spell'.

Mr. Moogle
2007-11-09, 08:54 PM
Wow... my theory was debunked after *checks time* 1 minute 27 seconds. I applaude you playgrounders :smallbiggrin: .

Tyger
2007-11-09, 08:54 PM
Yup, you're wrong.

Firstly, Precision Damage, like Sneak Attack, is only dealt on the first of the volley in any volley. So if you can launch 10 arrows, you only get (baring feat usage) to apply your Sneak Attack damage dice on the first arrow.

Secondly, as Magic Missile doesn't have a hit roll, you can't apply precision damage to it in the first place.

So... no, you can't do that.

Granted, you can do several other spells that do have hit rolls (Scorching Ray comes to mind) that would allow you to apply Sneak Attack damage. But no, at level 7, you aren't going to be dishing out 20d6 SA damage.

EDIT: Holy simu-ninja attack of madness!

Reel On, Love
2007-11-09, 09:10 PM
You weren't just wrong, you were wrong in two or three different ways. Impressive!

Chronos
2007-11-09, 09:12 PM
So if you can launch 10 arrows, you only get (baring feat usage) to apply your Sneak Attack damage dice on the first arrow.Clarification: If you can launch 10 arrows at once, you only get Sneak Attack on one of them (not necessarily the first). If you get multiple attacks due to base attack bonus (like an 8th level rogue with +6/+1) or Rapid Shot or other things that let you make attacks one at a time, you can get sneak attack on multiple attacks. And you could, for instance, Multishot with arrows of two different materials if you're not sure what kind of damage reduction your foe has, and whichever one penetrates the DR will do sneak attack damage.

TheOOB
2007-11-09, 10:50 PM
What constitutes a volly attack is fairly ill defined, generally speaking if you are getting more then one attack with an action other then the full-attack action, precision based damage such as sneak attack or skirmish only applies to the first attack. So only one sneak attack on multishot or scorching ray, but all sneak attacks on rapid shot or chill touch.

osyluth
2007-11-09, 11:05 PM
But no, at level 7, you aren't going to be dishing out 20d6 SA damage.

:smallwink: Pun-Pun...

TheOOB
2007-11-09, 11:23 PM
:smallwink: Pun-Pun...

And godwins law adapted for D&D strikes again.

Darth Mario
2007-11-09, 11:52 PM
Also, there's a build floating around somewhere here that can deal 20d6 damage at ECL 2 IIRC; Half-Giant PsW, maxed out jump and took an enlarge person power. Overwieght, too. Would leap into the air over a target and land on him for 20d6, and not take a point himself.

Was nicknamed Mario, for obvious reasons.

Arbitrarity
2007-11-09, 11:59 PM
7d6 dissolving weapon + 3d6 sneak attack, + 1d6 weapon*2 for TWF, for 22d6 potential damage at level 7 with a psychic rogue taking expanded knowledge (Dissolving weapon), and burning 14 PP. Needs at least 14 intelligence.

Fishy
2007-11-10, 12:09 AM
Psionics doesn't work that way. You can't spend more than your manifester level's worth of power points, so no dumping 14pp on one power until you actually reach level 14.

tyckspoon
2007-11-10, 12:25 AM
I think he meant manifesting Dissolving Weapon twice, once for each weapon. Wouldn't be any reason to mention TWF otherwise. It'd be 6d6 for the Dissolving Weapons, btw; 3 points to manifest the power for 4d6 damage, then 4 points augment at a rate of 1d6 damage per 2 points.

Person_Man
2007-11-10, 10:46 AM
Also, there's a build floating around somewhere here that can deal 20d6 damage at ECL 2 IIRC; Half-Giant PsW, maxed out jump and took an enlarge person power. Overwieght, too. Would leap into the air over a target and land on him for 20d6, and not take a point himself.

Was nicknamed Mario, for obvious reasons.

Yeah, its pretty strait forward. Put yourself at maximum weight for your race. Use Expansion to increase it. Run towards your enemy, Hustle as part of your movement to double it, Jump as high as you can (pretty high, since you get a bonus based on movement speed), and then fall on your enemy.

You deal 1d6 damage for every 200 pounds you weight, and an additional 1d6 points of damage for every 10-foot increment it falls beyond the first (max 20d6).

The Battle Jump feat from Unapprouchable East doubles that damage. If you want to be an orc (Luigi) the Headlong Rush (Races of Faerun) feat can double it again.

Of course, that depends on a DM that wants to treat you as a falling object. And it assumes that you also don't take falling damage, committing suicide as part of your attack.