PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Summonable Weapon?

Gale
2021-03-21, 02:45 PM
I'm curious if there is any official way to make a weapon you have summonable, in a manner similar to the Eldritch Knight's Weapon Bond ability. The idea is to have a weapon you can materialize in a moment's notice, regardless of what class or race you're playing, and that can't be easily detected.

The Armblade from Eberron: Rising from the Last War is the closest thing I found, but it's only usable by Warforged. You could convince your DM to let you build one into a prosthetic limb, but I'm trying to avoid homebrew solutions.

Damon_Tor
2021-03-21, 04:10 PM
The spell "Drawmij's Instant Summons" should give you an idea of how the authors of 5th edition would cost such an ability: it requires a 6th level spell slit and a 1000 consumed component each time you summon the object.

Gale
2021-03-21, 04:30 PM
The spell "Drawmij's Instant Summons" should give you an idea of how the authors of 5th edition would cost such an ability: it requires a 6th level spell slit and a 1000 consumed component each time you summon the object.

Wow, that seems a bit overpriced. Well, for what I had in mind anyways. The ability to summon any small object to your hands is obviously a super strong ability in the right circumstances.

What I had in mind was something closer to the Ring of Arming from 3.5's Magic Item Compendium. It let you store your armor and weapons in a ring, and then materialize them whenever you needed. (Gosh, I really miss that book sometimes.)

Clistenes
2021-03-21, 04:30 PM
I wonder what would something like dimensional pocket you see often in mangas (basically something like a Handy Haversack, but instead of a magical item, it is a pocket dimension you can access at will) be in 5e... A high level spell? A feat? An Epic Boon...?

HPisBS
2021-03-21, 04:54 PM
I wonder what would something like dimensional pocket you see often in mangas (basically something like a Handy Haversack, but instead of a magical item, it is a pocket dimension you can access at will) be in 5e... A high level spell? A feat? An Epic Boon...?

I know of 3 spells in this vein in 5e:

- The 2nd lvl Wristpocket, which is a concentration ritual that's limited to a single < 5 lb object for 1 hour. Costs an action to summon or dismiss the object. (Wildemount, so Graviturgy / Chronurgy Wizards)

- The 4th lvl Leomund's Secret Chest, which requires reusable 5,050 gp materials to summon the 3 ft x 2 ft x 2 ft chest from the Ethereal Plane, and which must be recast every 60 days. Summoning the chest requires an action, then you have to interact with the chest itself before you can get anything out, so it's not efficient for action economy. Oh, and if the 50 gp replica is destroyed while the big chest is in the Ethereal, you lose it all. (Artificer / Wizard spell)

- The 8th lvl Demiplane, which creates a doorway to a 30 ft3 demiplane that stays open for 1 hour at a time. (Warlock / Wizard spell)

...What I had in mind was something closer to the Ring of Arming from 3.5's Magic Item Compendium. It let you store your armor and weapons in a ring, and then materialize them whenever you needed. (Gosh, I really miss that book sometimes.)

It sounds like what you want is a twist on Secret Chest. A nice DM may let your PC find / research some way to apply the principles of that spell to other objects. So instead of chests, be a 5,000 gp sword and 50 gp replica on a bracelet or something. Technically, the spell's text requires the caster be the one to recall the chest, but if the DM is extra nice, that part could be changed, too, since I assume you're wanting this for something other than a wizard.

Willowhelm
2021-03-21, 08:43 PM
If you want a single option that works for all characters and classes then I’m not aware of anything. If you’re not in AL then the DM can just homebrew something though.

If you want an option for a specific character... then there are a lot of things like psychic blades, shadow blades, shillelagh, pact weapons, Mage armour, genie sanctuary, Demi plane, instant summons, speedy courier, secret chest etc that let you summon things from nowhere (with a greater or lesser requirement for other components).

Kane0
2021-03-21, 09:29 PM
EK, Bladelock and Soulknife Rogue all have summonable weapons, plus the Artificer has both built-in and returning varieties.

In terms of spells you could use Leomund's Secret chest, it doesn't have a duration or use concentration so from level 7 onwards any wizard can just give you the keyed token to summon it using an action. If such a wizard is around 'buying' this casting service is perfectly feasible.

There are some actual magic items that do the same or similar things too, though you'll have to check with your DM about finding, buying or making them.

whateew
2021-03-22, 06:38 AM
The quintessential summonable magic weapon is the warlocks blade pact - for an assassin type character, this would be second to none for discreet weapon choices if the soulknife didn't have their psychic blades, and the ED their weapon bond.

Unoriginal
2021-03-22, 10:55 AM
Not what you're asking for per se, but Tavern Brawler make the whole world your weapon.

Temperjoke
2021-03-22, 11:43 AM
Flame Blade and Shadow Blade are 2nd level spells that allow you to create a weapon in your hand. Once you've cast the spell, you can use an bonus action to have it appear in your hand. Downside is that they require concentration.

Damon_Tor
2021-03-22, 03:50 PM
The cantrip "Shape Water" can be used to create weapons made of ice.

Unoriginal
2021-03-22, 04:35 PM
The cantrip "Shape Water" can be used to create weapons made of ice.

It lets you create a weapon-shaped piece of ice. That's not the same.

Clistenes
2021-03-22, 07:09 PM
I know of 3 spells in this vein in 5e:

- The 2nd lvl Wristpocket, which is a concentration ritual that's limited to a single < 5 lb object for 1 hour. Costs an action to summon or dismiss the object. (Wildemount, so Graviturgy / Chronurgy Wizards)

- The 4th lvl Leomund's Secret Chest, which requires reusable 5,050 gp materials to summon the 3 ft x 2 ft x 2 ft chest from the Ethereal Plane, and which must be recast every 60 days. Summoning the chest requires an action, then you have to interact with the chest itself before you can get anything out, so it's not efficient for action economy. Oh, and if the 50 gp replica is destroyed while the big chest is in the Ethereal, you lose it all. (Artificer / Wizard spell)

- The 8th lvl Demiplane, which creates a doorway to a 30 ft3 demiplane that stays open for 1 hour at a time. (Warlock / Wizard spell)

I know these spells, but I none of these are quite the same...

Wristpocket requires concentration, so it is a bad idea to use it to store anything long term...

Leomund's Secret Chest is, as you mentioned yourself, quite slow to use, and your risk losing it all if you lose the replica, so I would rather use the Handy Haversack (it can be stolen too, but it is faster to use...).

Demiplane requires to spend a 8th lvl spell every time you access the storage, and it is quite slow to use too...

I guess some kind of lower level Lesser Demiplane that allows to create some kind of smaller dimensional safe box to put your equipment and later retrieve it casting the spell would be doable...? Still a pain in the ass to have to spend a spell slot every time...

Unoriginal
2021-03-22, 07:51 PM
You could use the Fabricate spell, but that's not a quick spell.

HPisBS
2021-03-22, 11:35 PM
I know these spells, but I none of these are quite the same...

Wristpocket requires concentration, so it is a bad idea to use it to store anything long term...

Leomund's Secret Chest is, as you mentioned yourself, quite slow to use, and your risk losing it all if you lose the replica, so I would rather use the Handy Haversack (it can be stolen too, but it is faster to use...).

Demiplane requires to spend a 8th lvl spell every time you access the storage, and it is quite slow to use too...

I guess some kind of lower level Lesser Demiplane that allows to create some kind of smaller dimensional safe box to put your equipment and later retrieve it casting the spell would be doable...? Still a pain in the ass to have to spend a spell slot every time...

Like I said, none of them are very good fits for what you want, but that's all of the official options.

Maybe a nice DM will let you modify Wristpocket somehow to be like Ainz in Overlord and reach into a void to pull out your item as a day-long spell or something. Secret Chest seems like the better choice, though. If spell modification is on the table, I'd go with modifying Secret Chest into "Secret Weapon" or something and wear the tiny replica on your hand / wrist.

Edit:
If you're ok with (throwing) daggers instead of a sword or whatever else, it seems Waterdeep has a Bracer of Flying Daggers that summons an infinite supply of (throwing) daggers which disappear if you don't immediately throw them. It's Rare and requires attunement.

BloodSnake'sCha
2021-03-23, 05:35 AM
Flame Blade and Shadow Blade are 2nd level spells that allow you to create a weapon in your hand. Once you've cast the spell, you can use an bonus action to have it appear in your hand. Downside is that they require concentration.

Flame blade don't really create a weapon like shadow blade does.

It just gives you a new type of action to use instead of attacking(like the spell dragon breath)