PDA

View Full Version : Ways to make death saving throws easier?

Rfkannen
2021-03-21, 07:01 PM
My character has an opportunity to do some rituals to gain power, but each ritual he does requires him to do a single death saving throw, if he fails it he dies, and with each ritual the dc of the death saving throw goes higher.

A 50/50 chance of living or dyeing is probably not worth it, but it might be if the chance is better. What ways are there to boost death saving throws?

The party is me, a level 13 gloomstalker ranger, a hexblade/whisper bard, a moon druid, and a battlemaster fighter. I am willing to multiclass.

YoungestGruff
2021-03-21, 07:20 PM
So far as I know, nothing. Death Saving Throws simply are. In what you've outlined, though, it's a little offbeat. I'd ask your DM if there's any way to improve your odds with that particular saving throw.

IsaacsAlterEgo
2021-03-21, 07:26 PM
Take 9 levels of Phantom Rogue.

Or if you have the money, just shell out for some diamonds or a scroll of resurrection so the party can just resurrect you when you inevitably die.

You could also take 2 levels of Diviner wizard and only undergo the rituals when you have some numbers above 10 in your pocket with Portent.

PhantomSoul
2021-03-21, 07:31 PM
Anything that will boost saving throws: e.g. Bless (+1d4), Resistance (cantrip, +1d4 assuming you're able to be willing and to choose), Paladin Aura (+CHA), War Wizard Arcane Deflection (if you fail, +4), War Wizard Durable Magic (if concentrating on a spell), Divine Soul Sorcerer (+2d4 if you fail), Monk feature (not useful here, but +proficiency), Path of the Zealot Barbarian's Zealous Presence (if you can hear), items (some give bonuses to saving throws). Bardic Inspiration is probably out if the DM treats it as the character choosing (not the player choosing), but it might be possible given the character isn't rolling anyhow! There are surely many more. If it's a spell, that may open up additional options.

Anything that gives advantage on saving throws (potentially harder to get overall in this case given spell levels): Inspiration, Heroes' Feast, Foresight, Holy Aura

Anything that replaces a die if eligible for a saving throw: Portent (used by someone else if you're unconscious/blinded). Maybe other things?

Anything that allows a reroll if eligible for a saving throw: Lucky (racial/feat, potentially from ally halfling with feat) or Indomitable (fighter 9, so out) to give a fallback plan

5eNeedsDarksun
2021-03-21, 07:32 PM
Off whichever character is likely to be remade as a Paladin.

HPisBS
2021-03-21, 07:47 PM
There's the aforementioned Resistance and Bless spells for +1d4 each. Both are concentration, so two different allies would be needed to double up like that.

Then, there's the Cloak of Protection, the Ring of Protection, and the Stone of Good Luck (beware the cursed version).

Of course, there's the Lucky feat.

Or, simplest and most powerful of all, you could just do like IsaacsAlterEgo said and grab 2 levels of Divination Wizard to pre-roll.

Off whichever character is likely to be remade as a Paladin.

Now, this is the simple solution. lol

Unoriginal
2021-03-21, 07:53 PM
Can a lvl 14+ Monk re-roll their Death Save by spending a ki point?

Zhorn
2021-03-21, 11:12 PM
Can a lvl 14+ Monk re-roll their Death Save by spending a ki point?

Since we have confirmation that Diamond Soul applies your proficiency bonus to death saving throws (link (https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/688437911725805569)), that would logically apply to rerolling failed death saves under the same reasoning.

HPisBS
2021-03-21, 11:15 PM
However, we also know that the OP is already a lvl 13 Ranger, so other class's lvl 14 (self-only) features don't help here lol

Droppeddead
2021-03-22, 05:58 AM
Yeah, like already been mentioned, you really don't need to multiclass to up your chances. The bard's inspiration might be sufficient on its own, otherwise resistance and magic items that can boost your saves are plentiful and can help you out.

What race is your ranger?

CapnWildefyr
2021-03-22, 06:46 AM
You might want to ask about that whole death thing. Is it 'dead and can come back,' or 'dead' as in 'your soul got eaten, roll another character.'?

Another thing - think about those rituals and what you're getting/giving up. I totally don't know your game and your DM. With those death saves, is it possible your DM is hinting 'this is a really dumb idea for you to do?' Also - are you sure you know the downsides? Are these rituals that give you power by getting you possessed by a demon, or that give you useful abilities?

One thing - become a halfling - lucky. But first make sure your DM allows that to work on death saves, sorry I haven't double-checked that.

OldTrees1
2021-03-22, 08:01 AM
Cost: 1 level, 13 Dex, 13 Wis
Get religious. Take 1 level of Cleric to pick up Bless and Resistance. Pray to your Bard for Inspiration. Eat your Druid's Heroic Feast (including the vegetables).

Death Save: 1d20 (Advantage)+2d4+1d8 and you need a 10 or better. That is a 0.71% failure rate.

How fast does the DC increase? Normally it is a DC 10, but if that DC is increasing, then you might need to hire a Paladin.

Let's assume the DC increases by 1 and you are aiming for 5 successes.
DC 10: 0.71%
DC 11: 1.29% = 1.99% total*
DC 12: 2.15% = 4.10% total
DC 13: 3.35% = 7.31% total
DC 14: 4.95% = 11.9% total
*1 - (1-p0) * (1-p1) ...

If you want to roll for these saves, I suggest hiring a Paladin. ~12% chance is rather high considering preparation and it is assuming the DC only increases by 1 rather than 2.

On the other hand, if the consequences are merely death, have you considered paying for Death Ward from the local temple?

Unoriginal
2021-03-22, 09:56 AM
Doesn't help with the death save itself, but a certain number of effects help against instant death. Death Ward among them, IIRC.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2021-03-22, 10:11 AM
I'll agree that Death Ward (https://www.dndbeyond.com/spells/death-ward) is your best bet:
"If the spell is still in effect when the target is subjected to an effect that would kill it instantaneously without dealing damage, that effect is instead negated against the target, and the spell ends."

kaervaak
2021-03-22, 11:04 AM
Periapt of wound closure renders death saves moot since you immediately stabilize at the start of your turn

whateew
2021-03-22, 07:47 PM
While not a serious possibility, if your DM uses UA races, simply die and be re-incarnated into the construct / undead gothic lineage, problem solved :smallwink: