PDA

View Full Version : Undead Spellcasters

Crow
2007-11-09, 09:15 PM
Are there any undead spellcasters that are corporeal other than vampires and liches?

Corporeal undead capable of taking class levels and thinking as sentient beings?

Quietus
2007-11-09, 09:17 PM
Are there any undead spellcasters that are corporeal other than vampires and liches?

Corporeal undead capable of taking class levels and thinking as sentient beings?

Any undead with 3+ int can technically take class levels, spellcasting classes included.

Nightshades make particularly entertaining casters - even a Nightwing, who could have "absorbed enough magical energy to cast his own spells".

deadseashoals
2007-11-09, 09:19 PM
Death knights and huecuva for starters, and they were even in the comic!

dyslexicfaser
2007-11-09, 09:24 PM
They just use SLAs, don't they?

Forrestfire
2007-11-09, 09:25 PM
there is a LA +0 corporeal undead in Libris Mortis, it is called the Necropolitian (I think that is the correct spelling).

Leon
2007-11-09, 09:32 PM
Skarlock's

tyckspoon
2007-11-09, 09:37 PM
They just use SLAs, don't they?

They get some from the template, but there's nothing stopping them from using any spellcasting ability they had before becoming a deathknight or huecuva, and since they're intelligent undead, nothing stopping them from taking more levels in spellcasting classes.

MCerberus
2007-11-09, 09:55 PM
I've got a trap that essentially blasts a Burning Hands when someone drops a zombie if that counts...

GoC
2007-11-09, 10:17 PM
Demiliches...:smallcool:

TheOOB
2007-11-09, 10:47 PM
Make sure your undead can speak, you don't want to play a spellcaster who has to silence all spells with a verbal component.

Crow
2007-11-09, 10:54 PM
I'm trying to forcibly turn a good NPC undead, but still badass with the ability to advance her spellcasting. Lich would be great if not for the "must voluntarily become one", and Vampires are just so overdone that I don't even want to touch them.

TheOOB
2007-11-09, 10:57 PM
Lich would be great if not for the "must voluntarily become one"

Remember rule 0: The DM is always right. If you want a situation to arrive which turns a player into a lich against their will, by all mean do so, maybe it's some ancient lost ritual, or a special artifact. In fact I could see it being quite the awesome plot point to have an enemy make a player into a lich, and hold their soul for ransom.

SpiderKoopa
2007-11-09, 11:01 PM
I'm trying to forcibly turn a good NPC undead, but still badass with the ability to advance her spellcasting. Lich would be great if not for the "must voluntarily become one", and Vampires are just so overdone that I don't even want to touch them.

Never read anything about Faerun hunh? There are a few good aligned liches there, and even some that have been turned against their will. Yes, it completely goes against what the monster manual says, but that's Faerun for you!