PDA

View Full Version : IC - [D&D 5E] Candlekeep Mysteries

Pages : [1] 2 3

munimortal
2021-03-22, 01:28 AM
Candlekeep Mysteries
https://cucdn.azureedge.net/gallery-24/art/ds2-coastal-town.jpg

Dimers - Eleazar Althus (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2421511)
Archemist - Patricia Stratton, Grand Wizard of Amn (https://www.dndbeyond.com/characters/45584687/CoFSDn)
Ramsus - Lady Runa of House Ouss’viir (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2421516)
Pyrophilios - Sir Kynos of Falkenstein (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2421379)

Finrair's Rest

The small coastal town of Finrair's Rest was never anything special, a small collection of homes, farms, a tavern, and a small chapel dedicated to no god in particular. While unremarkable, Finrair's Rest enjoyed a quiet prosperity. Situated about halfway between Baldur's Gate and Candlekeep, the village inn was almost always at full capacity. This kept the towns citizens fully employed in the various tasks involved in hospitality. While not flashy, the people here live a good life.

Lately however, the towns fortune has turned. The farms have not been as productive, with crops withering, fields going fallow. Livestock have gone missing too, and attempts at finding them, or their thieves, have failed. And while their own production has failed, attempts to trade for goods have also failed with three convoys being attacked in the last month alone. Good and bad years have come and gone, but to have so many problems in such a short period of time has people suspicious.

It is the 13th day of the Fading, halfway between midday and sunset. The Sandy Shore Inn is two well built buildings around a small courtyard with several fruit trees, all of which lie barren. The main building, a normally lively place sits rather empty. A tanned human with broad strong shoulders polishes glasses behind the large oak bar, waiting for the nightly crowd. Lady Runa of House Ouss’viir, Sir Kynos of Falkenstein, Eleazar Althus, and Patricia Stratton, Grand Wizard of Amn, sit at a table discussing chance meeting that have lead them here.

Shortly after the first round of drinks arrive, a disheveled halfling enters the tavern, takes a glance around, and makes her way to your table. She appears to be a farmer, dressed in plain, dirty clothing with wild ginger hair and sad eyes. "I am sorry to bother you my lords, but we have not had visitors in some time. My name is Breeni, and I was hoping to ask a favor, if it would not be too much trouble." She reaches into a small knapsack around her shoulder and pulls out some coins, "I would be happy to pay for your dinner to thank for your time."

Dimers
2021-03-22, 01:58 AM
"Thank you for your offer, Breeni. What troubles you? We've heard talk of quite a few woes this town is suffering." Eleazar, still looking the part of the warrior in his well-used scale armor, speaks with a very un-warlike compassion. He puts down his drink and folds his hands over his chest, giving the halfling his attention.

Ramsus
2021-03-22, 02:45 AM
https://64.media.tumblr.com/ba433165f914df6f26ae9f94a66b8139/tumblr_pxivg4l7oI1r5sd1jo1_1280.png
Lady Runa of House Ouss’viir (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2421516)
Half-Orc Bard
AC: 15 HP: 10/10
PP: 11 PIv: 10 PIs: 13
Conditions: --
Concentration: --

"It's no trouble at all. Thank you." Runa says with a faint smile, as getting approached by people asking brave adventurers for help with their troubles was the kind of stories she'd heard about before and was absolutely the kind of thing she was out here to experience.

At Eleazar's words she nods and adds, "Yes, yes. Tell us all about it."

@munimortal: If possible could you avoid the really bright and/or faint speech colors? They hurt my eyes a bit sometimes. Not a big deal or anything, just figured I'd ask if it's no major inconvenience for you.

Pyrophilios
2021-03-22, 03:16 AM
"Keep your coin and take a seat. What can we do for you?" Know replied amiably, confirming his companions stance.
The paladin's handsome features revealed no scars and a youthful innocence that were at odds with the clearly dented armor and the worn hilt of his sword.

Archemist
2021-03-22, 10:54 AM
Patricia Stratton, Grand Wizard of Amn (https://www.dndbeyond.com/characters/45584687/CoFSDn)

The Grand Wizard is quiet at first while her companions jump to offer assistance to the farmer. Before Breeni can launch into an explanation, though, Patricia just lets out a sparkling little laugh and asks, "First, do you know who we are? Mighty brave to ask favors of a wizard. We sometimes find that for tricky problems the simplest solution is to turn everyone involved into small animals. You never know." She winks and adds, "If only it were always so easy, eh? Well, I'm intrigued what problem could need our help. You may proceed with your story."

Her tone seems light but a little dismissive. Grand Wizards value their time, and Patricia is careful about not promising much to random townsfolk. She also doesn't seem to feel a need to introduce herself to Breeni, despite asking if she knew her name.

Her blue scales and horns are intimidating, but her current dress and circumstances are certainly plenty approachable (casual grey peacoat, staff leaning against the wall behind her, having just ordered a shepherd's pie and cider in a quaint village inn).

munimortal
2021-03-22, 02:20 PM
Breeni's apprehension at approaching a group of adventurer's had started to fade hearing Kynos, Runa and Eleazar's kind welcoming words, but as she heard Patricia's admonishing words, she became nervous once again.

"Thank you again my lords," she studdered nervously, "I am hoping that you are jouneying south, towards Candlekeep. If you can tell, our town has fallen on hard times. Bad crops, missing livestock, and most recently bandits on the road. It has gotten so bad that some of our townfolk believe we are," and she leans in and says in a hushed voice, "cursed." She Continues, "I think it is nonsense, but you know what they say about self-fulfilling proficies. I was hoping you could find help for us. Either someone to prove it is not a curse, or someone to remove it. A kind, but odd, wizard named Matreous visited our town from Candlekeep once, perhaps he could help. Would you be willing to find him for me?"

Pyrophilios
2021-03-22, 02:28 PM
"Certainly. It would also help if you could tell us when exactly this curse began and if there was any particular event coinciding - maybe you turned away an old woman or a child went missing?"
Kynos asked kindly.

munimortal
2021-03-22, 11:23 PM
"I cannot recall any incident. I really just think people's imaginations are running wild. I half expect Matreous to tell us we are all crazy, but at least then we will know."

Ramsus
2021-03-23, 12:22 AM
https://64.media.tumblr.com/ba433165f914df6f26ae9f94a66b8139/tumblr_pxivg4l7oI1r5sd1jo1_1280.png
Lady Runa of House Ouss’viir (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2421516)
Half-Orc Bard

"I am certainly up to meet with more wizards. Where can we find him?" Runa replies with keen interest in this amusing sounding character.

munimortal
2021-03-23, 02:41 AM
"I am not sure where he could be. He had mentioned being from Candlekeep, but if he is not there perhaps the monks there would know where he is." ​ Breeni reaches into the bag she had on her shoulder and removes an old leather bound book. Her hands tremble as she hands the book over,
"I hear that they require a valuable book to enter Candlekeep. We don't own anything of value, but this book holds all our family recipes going back at least ten generations. It's the most precious thing we own, but if it can save our family and friends, it would be worththe trade."

Pyrophilios
2021-03-23, 10:48 AM
Kynos nodded and turned to "Patricia": "Maybe we can split the difference. Do you have a spell that could create a copy of that book? Something like a self writing quill? It would allow us entry into the inner sanctum of Candlekeep and the family might keep their recipes."

Archemist
2021-03-23, 02:01 PM
Patricia seems surprised by the halfling's offer. "We're headed to Candlekeep already, so I'd be happy to mention you to Matreous if we see him. I already have a book that should gain me entry, but just in case - " here she pauses and concentrates for a moment, and then a duplicate of the halfling's book appears in her hands. "See? We should be fine, you can keep your heirloom." She tucks the duplicate book into the inside pocket of her coat with a quick motion.

It's just Prestidigitation, so anybody who identifies the spell can know that "Patricia" was deceiving the halfling (and Kynos?) into thinking she had copied the book when really it's just an illusion of the object. But they can probably also tell that it wasn't done out of malice - as with the offer of dinner money, Patricia seems to be trying to politely refuse to take Breeni's treasured book.

Pyrophilios
2021-03-23, 05:10 PM
[roll0]+1 Investigation

Using Divine Sense to see if there are any malicious or infernal spirits around

Kynos smiled at "Patricia", genuinely happy that this problem was resolved.
"In that case, we are more than prepared to present your case. Let me just check something first." Kynos closed his eyes and concentrated on his divine senses.

Ramsus
2021-03-23, 05:42 PM
Half-Orc Bard

Runa gives Patrica a "I see what you did there" kind of look and gives a small smile and nod of approval.

munimortal
2021-03-23, 11:08 PM
Breeni's eyes sparkle with joy at the sight of such amazing magic being performed. "Thank you so much my lady! We will be forever in your debt." Breeni puts her family recipe book back into her shoulder bag, and stands up, "I have taken up far too much of your valuable time. I will make sure you receive nothing but the best from the Sandy Shore, Sam is a close friend. Be well, and safe travels. We look forward to seeing you again."

Breeni heads to the up to the bar, and has a few words with the bartender. They look your way, and nod in agreement with each other, then Breeni gives a final wave farewell and heads out of the tavern. As she does, its seems that the town has decided it is dinner time, and the inn starts to fill for the evening meal. Sam, as you have been told is the bartenders name, quickly comes to your table to take an order, and to tell you that rooms have can be arranged for you if needed. While not packed, the low din of the occupants allows you the opportunity for a semi-private conversation.

You are unable to detect any beings of good or evil, or any areas which have been consecrated or desecrated.

Pyrophilios
2021-03-24, 11:37 AM
"Whatever that curse is, it doesn't seem to be infernal in nature - at least not within the closer vicinity.
After all that commotion today I'm really looking forward to a soft bed. Maybe we can pool our ressources and hire a waggon around here to take us to Candlekeep tomorrow. It doesn't look like they have an abundance of horses to sell around here."
Kynos tried to restart the conversation after the halfling had gone.

Archemist
2021-03-25, 12:31 AM
"Maybe we can pool our resources and hire a wagon around here to take us to Candlekeep tomorrow. It doesn't look like they have an abundance of horses to sell around here."
Kynos tried to restart the conversation after the halfling had gone.

Patricia nods but says only, "Riding by cart or wagon would be so quaintly rustic, don't you think? I don't have a lot of experience riding, though - do you, Sir Kynos? Regardless, I'm in, it sounds like a hoot." Toothless the hawk gives a squeak that is not a hoot, disgruntled that other birds would be referenced in his presence.

Pyrophilios
2021-03-25, 01:39 PM
"It's not that difficult if the horse is willing, but no, I wouldn't consider myself an expert horseman. Evident by the fact that those goblins managed to kill my faithful steed." Kynos replied with a smile.

Ramsus
2021-03-25, 03:31 PM
Half-Orc Bard

Runa makes a frown and says, "I am sorry to hear about your horse Kynos." There's enough emotion in her voice that it's clear she isn't just being polite, but actually expression her consolement.

After a pause she says, "I'm afraid I don't have much coin with me, though I can probably procure a mount at least for myself." she doesn't elaborate, a deliberate attempt at being a bit mysterious. Though Kynos having met her before probably knows what she means.

Pyrophilios
2021-03-25, 03:56 PM
Kynos smiled at that: "I think I can cover your fare - no need to sweet talk someone's ride."
He patted the messenger bag at his side: "I hope the abbot will forgive me losing the order's property - at least the messages are still all there. I can't wait until I'll be ready to swear my oath - full members of the order can actually chose the missions they are sent on.

What are you all going to do once you have finished your business at Candlekeep?"

Ramsus
2021-03-25, 05:46 PM
Half-Orc Bard

Runa raises an eyebrow at Kynos, wondering why he'd imply she'd steal someone's horse when she could just ask a wild animal.

She frowns very briefly for a moment before putting on a polite smile again and answering, "I'm just traveling to travel more or less. Seeing new places, that kind of thing."

Dimers
2021-03-26, 07:53 AM
"What are you all going to do once you have finished your business at Candlekeep?"

Eleazar makes a face in reply, half amusement and half annoyance. "Probably hike back to Silverymoon -- the hard way. I'm not sure I want to risk the teleportation back ... might end up in a volcano or on a desert isle. Hah, as far as teleport mishaps go, I suppose I got lucky this time. I'll stay at Candlekeep as long as they'll have me, though. There's plenty to research for my order's elder priests, to say nothing of my own pet projects. Probably more than one mere half-elven lifetime could allow. The limiting factor is definitely Candlekeep's hospitality; they're not known for hosting random scholars indefinitely."

Archemist
2021-03-26, 07:54 PM
"Hah, as far as teleport mishaps go, I suppose I got lucky this time. I'll stay at Candlekeep as long as they'll have me, though."

Patricia nods understandingly. "Indeed, I've heard they have wards, too, against teleportation into the Library. So I'll be relying on my reputation somewhat, myself. And they're strict because they know that once one gets started on research, there's really no 'end' at a place like Candlekeep. But I'll vouch for you if there's any question."

Pyrophilios
2021-03-27, 03:59 AM
"I haven't spend as much time with books as I probably should, but I expect there are some treasures there, no doubt. In any case it seems as if we certainly all have the same aspiration at the moment - getting safely and swiftly to Candlekeep.
I suggest we get going then - the sooner we inform that scholar, the sooner Fin's Rest wil receive aid."
Kynos remarked and stood up to make travel arrangements for the group.

munimortal
2021-03-28, 12:03 AM
Nightfall has come in full to the Sandy Shore Inn. The beautiful sunset over the Sea of Swords has faded away revealing a cool crisp nighttime. The already small crowd at the inn has diminished further leaving only a few tables of patrons, most of whom seem deep in their cups. The air has a nervous quality to it, unsure if the night holds peace or terrors.

The innkeep moves expertly between tables collecting plates and glasses, but takes a pause when he sees Kynos approaching. "I hope everything was satisfactory with your dinner, whenever you are ready, rooms have been prepared for you upstairs. Don't worry about payment either, Breeni informed me that you will be doing a service for the town, and the inn is mostly empty tonight anyway. Is there anything else I can get for you? Another round? I can leave a bottle out if you wish to stay up late, it seems the road has been rough on you."

Ramsus
2021-03-28, 01:17 AM
Half-Orc Bard

"No thank you." Runa hastily answers for the group. Then she corrects and adds, "At least, no more to drink for me tonight. I think I'll just retire to my room. I'm sure we'll have a chance to catch up and get to know each all better as we travel." And unless anyone else says anything to stop her, she does just that.

Pyrophilios
2021-03-28, 04:55 AM
"Thank you very much, yes it was excellent", Kynos replied politely. "Can you inquire in the morning if there is anyone around that could take us in coach or waggon to Candlekeep? We can pay. If necessary we can also rent horses, though I'd prefer the former transport. Maybe a merchant that would enjoy a bit more protection on his journey through us being with him?"
After receiving the proprietors answer, Kynos nodded, whished everyone a good night and took to his room.

Archemist
2021-03-28, 07:21 PM
Patricia also retires after graciously wishing everyone a good night.

munimortal
2021-03-28, 10:43 PM
You retire upstairs to your own rooms. Four bedrooms right at the top of the stairs which are not large, but very cozy. Each room has a small table and well build chair, and each bed features a large soft mattress with silky soft cotton sheets. The rooms walls are thick, so only the barest murmur of the dwindling crowd down below reaches your ears as you go to sleep. Eventually even that noise goes away, and a full silence falls on the inn. The only sound is the rhythmic pattern of waves crashing softly onto the nearby beach which lull you all to sleep.

The night passes uneventfully and you awaken to cool foggy morning. While the thick walls protect against the sounds of breakfast being cooked, they do not prevent the smell of freshly baked bread and frying bacon from reaching you. The first person down the stairs finds the tavern already occupied by people at various stages of eating breakfast. The same table from the previous evening sits empty, but a new person stands behind the bar. The slender elf greets you, "Good morning! Sam left me instructions to see if any travelers were heading towards Candlekeep. A merchant is heading to Amn, and is willing to share space on his wagon in exchange for help setting up camp and tending to his animals." The elf leans in, "Though, he will probably make a poor traveling companion, the most I got out of him was a grunt of agreement to the proposal. I would gather the rest of your group and supplies, he seems impatient, and has already started to get preparations made to leave."

Pyrophilios
2021-03-29, 01:53 AM
Kynos, only a little grumpy of missing an enticing breakfast, replied: "Thanks. Could you prepare a quick pack for us four with some of that delicious smelling food? I'll inform my companions to get ready and then go out to meet that merchant."

That done, Kynos went to do as he said, taking a good look at their transport and it's owner.

Ramsus
2021-03-29, 11:57 AM
Half-Orc Bard

Before going to sleep last night, Runa had opened her window and let her animal friends inside. Except for Melody who didn't feel like attempting to scale the building.

They were in the middle of dressing her when Kynos knocked on the door to let her know they were leaving already. She gave a somewhat startled, "I'll just be a moment!" in reply, given she hadn't expected an interruption so early and was a bit flustered at it coming while she was in a state of undress.
After she was dressed she told her friends, "Well, you best find this merchant and sneak your way aboard his cart before we head out I suppose." and opens the window again for them all to leave. The crows of course knew this didn't apply to them as they'd have no trouble keeping up with a mere horse.

Then she went downstairs to meet the others.

Archemist
2021-03-29, 07:16 PM
Patricia rises early, which is good because somehow she's still only just coming down the stairs at the last minute as folks are getting ready to go. She looks pretty flawless though. "Stars, I can't believe we're on the last leg of the journey already!" She seems to be in a good mood about it.

She introduces herself to the merchant without using any grand titles. She inspects the merchant's wagon with some squinting but hops on with her staff and bag nonetheless.

Pyrophilios
2021-03-30, 11:57 AM
"It seems we are in luck to find transport so fast," Kynos announced when the companions had assembled and in reply to Patricia. "There's a nice assortment foods here to keep us fed and happy along the trail, but we'll likely want to also hunt a bit when we make camp. So if any one of you is a deft hand at hunting, I'll welcome you to join me then."

munimortal
2021-03-30, 01:18 PM
As you assemble outside, you get a view of cart that will take you towards Candlekeep, and your new traveling companion. The cart is in an advanced state of decay being pulled by an equally distraught looking grey and brown plow horse. The cart has a single crate on the back, secured with an inordinate amount of straps. Cinching the last one, is perhaps the oldest dwarf you have ever seen. Frail and thin with a sea of wrinkles on the the half of his face not covered by a white beard over two feet long.

As the four of you approach, the dwarf give you a once over visually, grunts something under his breath, then with no further ceremony, hops onto the driving bench of the cart.

Archemist
2021-03-31, 12:07 AM
The cart has a single crate on the back, secured with an inordinate amount of straps. Cinching the last one, is perhaps the oldest dwarf you have ever seen.

If there's room on the back, Patricia sits on the tailgate or thereabouts. Curious about the crate, Patricia gives it a once-over after the cart is in motion. She pulls out some chalk and doodles on the floor of the cart. She's making some odd symbol, maybe? She's got plenty of time, given the speed of the cart, and she mumbles to herself a bit while drawing.

After fifteen minutes or so she self-consciously rubs away most of the markings.

Folks are welcome to just ask the merchant, "hey what's in the crate?" but Patricia is also sneakily casting Detect Magic as a ritual looking forwards on the crate and merchant.

munimortal
2021-03-31, 12:55 AM
Can I get a stealth roll?

Pyrophilios
2021-03-31, 04:38 AM
Kynos didn't hesitate to sit next to the dwarf, greeting him friendly:
"Good of you to take us with you. If I may be so bold, what are you transporting? It seems valuable enough to be transported stand alone. Do we have to consider any special rules while we are near it?"

munimortal
2021-03-31, 06:45 PM
The cart begins to move before you are all fully on board, and you have to scramble to hop on the moving vehicle. The quaint little town of Fenrir's Rest disappears into the fog behind you. The cart plods along at a slightly below average speed, which is still quite good considering its age and the age of the horse. Lady Runa's animals hide amongst the spare hay and blankets in the cart. Patricia begins scrawling some arcane symbols and chanting silently to herself, which with the noise of the cart goes unnoticed by the driver.

He does notice the large dragonborn attempting to get his attention. Kynos gives his introduction speech, but all he receives in return is a noncommittal shrug. After a few minutes of silence, the dwarf starts humming a song, he has a low baritone voice which makes the tune sound even more somber than it already did. The road stretches on, the fog giving way, and after an hour the road reconnects with the Coast Way, and the path heads South towards Candlekeep.

Mara's detect magic spell reveals faint necromancy magic coming from inside the box.

Ramsus
2021-03-31, 07:36 PM
Half-Orc Bard

Runa was just about to ask if the dwarf minded if she played something when he began humming himself, so instead she just matched his tune on her lute. ((If she knows the song, she actually sings along and of course probably plays it better than trying to match it off listening to him.))

History for knowing the song: [roll0]
Performance just cuz: [roll1]

Archemist
2021-03-31, 07:48 PM
Runa was just about to ask if the dwarf minded if she played something when he began humming himself, so instead she just matched his tune on her lute.

Patricia appreciates the song and swings her legs as they dangle off the tailgate, in time to the music. She seems lost in thought for the moment, gazing off into the stony fields as they pass by.

Dimers
2021-03-31, 08:25 PM
The driver seeming taciturn even for a dwarf catches Eleazar by surprise at a few different moments. When he all but ignores Kynos and goes to humming a dirge instead of answering, Eleazar stares for a moment, then starts shaking his head and chuckling. I haven't been the most verbose traveler myself, he thinks, but this fellow is in another class entirely. Are there competitions for reticence?

munimortal
2021-04-01, 12:32 AM
You recognize the song, its is a fairly well known dwarven funeral song, normally performed without lyrics, but you know the lyrics tell the story of a love that lasted three hundred years.

As Lady Runa begins to play and sing, all of you can see the driver startle suddenly. He never turns, but as Runa continues to play this heartbreakingly sad song you can see the small dwarf begin to sob silently. The hours pass by on the road, occasional travelers pass by you, going in the opposite direction, and a few horseback riders ride past you on their way to destinations further south. Evening time closes in, your driver finds a suitable place to pull off the road and set up camp. After the the animal is fed and watered, and dinner is prepared for the night. The old dwarf goes to retire in the back of the cart, but turns back and says in faltering common, "I can take you directly to Candlekeep if you want, It will save you a few hours. Let me know in the morning" And then he goes to bed.

Pyrophilios
2021-04-01, 11:57 AM
A bit taken aback by being so blatantly ignored, Kynos stopped his attempts at an conversation. The moving song had him frown before averting his eyes, a bit ashamed for being afronted earlier. 'You never know what other people have gone through. Judge not, lest you be judged.' He thought to himself.

When camp had been made, he got up: "I'll try my hand a bit at hunting - anyone wants to join me?" He raised the hand holding one of his throwing spears.

Ramsus
2021-04-01, 12:16 PM
Half-Orc Bard

The mood of the song fit Runa's feelings quite well, so she'd had no trouble performing. She was glad it was what someone else had wanted to hear as well.

When the dwarf goes to sleep she wishes him goodnight. To Kynos she says, "I will probably just retire for the evening after I eat, but I'm sure Melody would love to accompany you." At her name being mentioned, Melody (a coyote) walks out of the shadows somewhere and comes over to get some pets. "He wants to hunt with you." Runa tells Melody, and gets a little yip of agreement/understanding in reply and then the coyote turns to look at Kynos, waiting for him to do something.

Archemist
2021-04-01, 12:52 PM
Similarly, Patricia speaks the name of her familiar and with a Bamph! it appears. The hawk takes off and begins a quick climb, while Patricia says to Kynos, "Toothless will also assist you. He's used to bringing me food."

Later, it turns out campfire cooking isn't really her thing, but she waves her hands over the pot of stew and it tastes like a nice spicy jambalaya.

Once the hawk is airborne, Mara will also ask it telepathically to do a quick reconnoiter for other creatures or people in the area, while it's out and about.

munimortal
2021-04-01, 11:46 PM
Before night falls, Melody and Kynos enter the nearby thicket of trees to do some hunting as Toothless flys into the sky.

Roll Survival to find some game, with advantage from Melody's help. Go ahead and just roll play your results. I am sure even with a relatively low score you could find a rabbit, but a big one could land a prize winning buck.

Toothless surveys the surrounding area. There are a few other encampments close to the road and numerous small animals in the forest and hills nearby. Nothing particularly noteworthy.

Dimers
2021-04-02, 12:23 AM
Eleazar takes up Kynos's offer. "Yes, I'll go with. Mostly in case of trouble -- I'm no master hunter But who knows, I might have a lucky throw. Lead the way."

When Melody appears, the young half-elf is surprised, saying nothing and seeming a little out of his element. He gives Runa a look of respect before the trio slide into the night.

Archemist
2021-04-02, 01:42 AM
[roll0] because Mara's hawk is way better at this than she is, at least.

Patricia tells Toothless, "A rabbit or something would be perfect for the stew," and sets him loose for a while. It takes him a while, but the dusk light has brought a couple rabbits out to graze and Toothless does bring a small one back.

Gingerly holding the rabbit by a paw, Patricia hands it over to Eleazar and Kynos when they return, saying, "Usually I just give the hawk a couple coins and a note to have him carry me back a sandwich or something from town. Hopefully you can help with the preparation for... this."

Pyrophilios
2021-04-02, 05:31 AM
Eleazar takes up Kynos's offer. "Yes, I'll go with. Mostly in case of trouble -- I'm no master hunter But who knows, I might have a lucky throw. Lead the way."

"Neither am I", Kynos smiled back, "But there is usually something to be gained - even if it's just a bit of exercise."

Survival
[roll0]/[roll1]+1

As expected, the two half elves did not come across any particularly large or impressive trophies, but with the help of the coyote and a well placed throwing spear, they managed to catch a hare and a particularly inattentive partridge.
When Patricia presented them the falcon-caught rabbit he laughed: "Ah yes, a sandwich would be welcome as well - unfortunately the common sandwich is still in hibernation out here. I'll take care of dressing - maybe you can get a pot of water going in the meantime for a rabbit stew. The partridge will be an excellent roast."

Without delay, Kynos began stringing the rabbits up, so he could remove their fur and skin as well as their innards. A bloody job, but a necessary one. Plucking the partridge was a much more time consuming task - hindered by the fact, that Kynos wasn't particularly dexterous, but more likely to rip out more than feathers through brute strength.

When they finally got to enjoy the meal - the taste enhanced by magic - he felt bone tired: "That was really good - the bread from the inn and the fresh meat. I'll retire now - wake me when it's time for my part of the watch."

Ramsus
2021-04-02, 12:14 PM
Half-Orc Bard

Runa chuckled at Kynos' joke, her own animal companions being closer to civilized life than most making the joke hit home a bit more with her.

While the others were gone hunting Runa beckoned her other companions over, the raccoons, the crows, the moths, and the fireflies. Mainly just to catch up with them and make their presence known to her new companions. Not everyone was a fan of these particular animals or insects afterall. When the hunting party returned she let them know it was probably a good time to go get food for themselves and they all flew and scurried off.

"If Patricia is handling the stew, then I will take care of the roast pheasant." she offered, in a way that was rather more like a statement of fact. In truth she wanted to take the opportunity to continue improving her skill. She'd had food preparation handled for her most of her life and only after being married had felt reason to begin learning. Continuing to do so was a small way of holding onto her time with him, and it was a good skill to have if she was going to be traveling anyway. "I won't object to any guidance if you have it though." she added to Patricia (though basically to anyone else as well).

munimortal
2021-04-04, 03:13 AM
The night provides numerous small sounds. The crackling of the fire as it dies, the sounds of animals in the nearby woods and the occasional sounds of wagon wheels on the road lull you to sleep. The temperature falls significantly overnight, and dew forms over your tents and several brief sprinkles threaten to turn your campsite into a mud pit, but the downpour never comes. The night passes with no surprises, and the morning greets you as clear but cool.

Your traveling companion rises early, and begins taking down his encampment. Before the sun has fully risen he is wordlessly rekindling the fire and preparing a breakfast from the previous nights leftovers.

Pyrophilios
2021-04-04, 08:45 AM
Kynos, having taken the middle watch, was far from rested completely, but the smell of breakfast got him awake soon enough. After performing his ablutions, putting on his armor again was a noisy enough affair to make sure everyone was awake, including the countryside. Having resigned to not getting any conversation from the dwarf, he greeted his travelling companions with a smile:
"Good morning to you all. I hope you rested well?
Time we get going - living rough is still something I haven't gotten used to." He moved his head left and right to get a twinging muscle going again.
"Does anyone of you know how much of the way we have still ahead of us?"

Dimers
2021-04-05, 03:42 AM
Eleazar shakes his head. "No, I haven't seen a decent map since the day before leaving Silverymoon. As the bards say, you don't know what you have until it's gone ..." He smiles ruefully.

Archemist
2021-04-05, 10:41 PM
Patricia says, "Well, Toothless can keep an eye out from above. I've heard Candlekeep looks like a big birthday cake so hopefully it'll be hard to miss. But," she adds, giving the horse a pat on the side, "I think we will get there when we get there, eh?"

Ramsus
2021-04-05, 10:48 PM
Half-Orc Bard

"If I remember my maps correctly, we should arrive.... some time tomorrow at the pace we're going I believe." Runa answers, not entirely sure about that, which is why she didn't try to estimate in hours.

"I could tell you how long it is as the crow flies, but I don't think that would be very helpful." Runa jests, giving a pointed look at her crows.

munimortal
2021-04-05, 11:18 PM
Once everyone has packed up the cart, the elderly dwarf waits for everyone to hop aboard and then sets off to rejoin the road heading south. The weather looks threatening, but no more than brief sprinkles ever fall. The road is just as busy as the day before, and the miles fall by the wayside as the day progresses.

Pyrophilios
2021-04-06, 04:03 AM
"Thanks, seems like we'll spend another night outside. Can't be helped. Alright then lets get going."
Kynos gave himself more cheerful than he felt. The distraction of his new companions had helped turn his mind off the loss of his horse for a while, but the morose dwarf and the monotonous ride gave him far to much time to think about what the abbot would have to say about that. His first real, independent mission - and he had managed to nearly botch it on the first day. "No good. I've got to step up." he murmured to himself, motivating himself to keep extra attention on his surroundings, so they wouldn't fall prey to another attack.

Ramsus
2021-04-06, 11:57 AM
Half-Orc Bard

Rona, noticing that Kynos was a bit upset about something but not picking up that he didn't want distractions, at some point asks him, "So Kynos. It has been a while since we've seen each other and it seems quite a lot has transpired in that time. If I understand you've joined a knightly order? If you don't mind sharing, I'd enjoy you catching me up on events so I could know you better." As she speaks she gives him a gentle smile, knowing that his life was likely no less hard than hers.

Pyrophilios
2021-04-06, 12:55 PM
Kynos laughed ruefully. "How long has it been? Three years? Well, you know how I took part in that tournament, but there was that... disagreement? As it turned out, there was a member of the Order of the Watchers in the ranks. When the dust had settled, he came to me and set my fingers right. Asked me what I thought about my future. Wasn't the best moment all in all, but we got talking about duty and expectations. Considering my status it seemed like a pretty good idea to join as a novice. The order isn't particularly strict and there is a lot of chance for promotion, what with the high rate of casualties for anyone fighting the forces of hell and beyond. Sounded quite good to me at that moment. My father was reluctant, but his wife supported me for once.
So long story short, I was admited to the order. Lot's of book learning, lectures and weapons training. I had had my training as a squire already, so I was able to skip most of the noviciat. Now I'm an aspirant and allowed to go on solo ventures - mostly messaging duties. But it beats being stuck indoors all day. Candlekeep is my first solo assignment. So I really have to get this right."

Ramsus
2021-04-06, 06:50 PM
Half-Orc Bard

Rona gives Kynos a more warm smile at this, clearly pleased for him, "Well I'm glad to hear something good came out of that. And that your situation has improved. I'll do whatever I can to help you... whatever help I can be I suppose." and then just shrugs at that as she's not entirely sure if she can help in any way.

munimortal
2021-04-07, 01:25 AM
The condition of the road begins to improve as you approach Candlekeep, you can see teams of workers maintaining the Lion's Way. The weather has begun to clear a little with warm rays drying the damp soil of the roadway. The working teams and their guards seems to indicate that the roads in these parts are significantly safer than other areas.

You notice that every time you speak, the dwarf seems to change his focus from the road to you.

Pyrophilios
2021-04-07, 02:43 AM
Kynos laughted: "It certainly would help if we could vanquish a fiend or two while we are at it - that usually does the trick if you have trouble in the order."
He sighed and added: "Thanks, I appreciate your help."

Archemist
2021-04-07, 06:38 PM
Kynos laughted: "It certainly would help if we could vanquish a fiend or two while we are at it - that usually does the trick if you have trouble in the order."
He sighed and added: "Thanks, I appreciate your help."

Patricia has been eavesdropping a bit but hopefully nobody has minded. She observes, "You don't strike me as much of a vanquisher, Lady Runa, except perhaps on stage. If we meet a foul demon, let us be decided to challenge it to a lute battle. I'm sure that'd be a first for Sir Kynos' order, as well, and would make for quite the tale!"

Ramsus
2021-04-08, 02:04 AM
Half-Orc Bard

Runa gives a laugh at Patricia's words and replies, "We could always give that a try I suppose! But yes, at best I would be a supporting role in any fights." She then remembers the last monsters she faced and has to turn away from the others to avoid showing them a grimace and take a moment to fight back the forming of tears.

Pyrophilios
2021-04-08, 03:40 AM
"Well, there are tales about a fiddle contest with a devil. But I'm not sure if that wasn't an allegory for something. I'm quite certain though that the one tale about the flute contest is..." Kynos replied, the top of his ears turning a bit red at his last words when he remembered in whose company he was.
"But I don't think we have to worry about that now. Too much traffic along this part of the road. Bandits and monsters don't like too much attention."
Kynos tried to reassure Runa, who for some reason seemed to be a bit distressed now.

Ramsus
2021-04-08, 12:50 PM
Half-Orc Bard

Runa is so caught off-guard by the ribald remark she winds up choking on her own sudden snort of laughter for a moment. After clearing her throat she turns back to face Kynos with a quite amuses smile and replies, "I am familiar with songs of both those tales." and tries very hard to keep a straight face for whatever his reaction winds up being. After a moment, just to make it worse for him she adds, "I could play them for us all if you like."

Dimers
2021-04-08, 08:44 PM
Grinning broadly, Eleazar pipes up, "I'd quite enjoy that, milday Runa. Seems parts of my education at Silverymoon have been sorely neglected, a matter I should fix with all due haste. Er, if such songs aren't displeasing to our host, of course," he adds with a glance at the driver.

munimortal
2021-04-08, 11:44 PM
The elderly dwarf has obviously been following the conversation and responds, again in halting, broken common, "I would not mind a song from the lady."

Pyrophilios
2021-04-09, 03:06 AM
Kynos' ears turned a deep shade of crimson. "Ah yes, it is a rather funny song." Kynos turned his face back towards the road until he felt that he had his features back under control.

Ramsus
2021-04-09, 12:01 PM
Half-Orc Bard

"Does anyone else play a stringed instrument perhaps? Both of these are meant to be played as duets, though I can still perform a solo version." Runa asks, just deciding to go with this since everyone was so interested.

Archemist
2021-04-09, 08:54 PM
"Does anyone else play a stringed instrument perhaps? Both of these are meant to be played as duets, though I can still perform a solo version." Runa asks, just deciding to go with this since everyone was so interested.

Patricia answers, "Well, not really. My parents always said I should study music, but I never put my mind to it. I can make sounds magically, of course, but that doesn't take much skill. Hmm, but maybe I have just the thing..." She proceeds to root around in her pack briefly and pulls out a little mechanical canary in a cage. It's about 3" tall and looks old, though the brass of the cage has been lovingly polished. Patricia encourages it to whistle along to Lady Runa's tune, by herself kinda humming and waving her hand as if conducting, and the bird trills little embellishing chords at the end of each line of the song.

Pyrophilios
2021-04-10, 03:38 AM
"I'm afraid, the only thing I can play are cards..." Kynos replied, having won back some of his composure.

Ramsus
2021-04-12, 11:56 AM
Half-Orc Bard

In truth she hadn't expected any of the others to happen to play an instrument, but you never knew. And she'd been giving Kynos the opportunity to raise an objection. She mentally shrugs and then begins getting to it.

The song she plays is fast paced and while not explicit is extremely suggestive. She herself has always found this one pretty amusing, as its such a departure from the higher class of thing she's been expected to perform most of her life. (Which isn't to say she doesn't learn songs that don't fit into that mold, just that she's had little opportunity for an audience for them.)

I'm not going to write out a song and lyrics or go searching for something that fits. I'll just say it has the same sort of general energy to it as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-FxmoVM7X4

munimortal
2021-04-13, 02:00 AM
The sounds of the ribald songs fill the cool air as your cart makes slow progress towards Candlekeep. The road has become slightly busier as you near your destination, and the songs catch the attention of those you pass. As evening falls, your dwarven companion again pulls off the main road to find a campsite for the night. He finds a spot near a small, but quick moving spring in the grassy hills. The sounds of the babbling brook provide peaceful background sounds as camp is established.

Pyrophilios
2021-04-13, 11:51 AM
This close to their destination, Kynos refrained from going hunting. Instead he pulled out a deck of cards and asked: "Someone up for a friendly game?"

Archemist
2021-04-13, 07:00 PM
"Oh, my dear Sir Kynos, most people know better than to engage in games of chance against a wizard," Patricia says, not unkindly. She shrugs as if resigned to not taking part.

Ramsus
2021-04-14, 11:53 AM
Half-Orc Bard

Runa raises an eyebrow at Patricia and thinks, "A wizard being weird for seemingly no reason. I shouldn't be surprised."
Aloud she says, "I'd love to Kynos." in a very prime and proper but still warm tone.

Pyrophilios
2021-04-14, 02:43 PM
Kynos smiled: "Just a friendly game to pass a bit of time." Kynos dealt and explained: "These are fiend recognition cards. The Watchers give them out to their recruits to teach them about strengths and weaknesses of the creatures we face. Basically, you call out your creature and which of its stats you are offering. You have to beat that statt with a card of yours. If you manage, you get the card, otherwise you lose it. You win when you have all the cards on your hand - or we could just play poker with the markings up in the corner."

munimortal
2021-04-18, 02:08 AM
As with the two previous evenings, the night passes uneventfully. You awaken on a thankfully clear, but still cool day. The elderly dwarf has woken early and has prepared a breakfast of summer sausages and some kind of biscuit that tastes of licorice. After breakfast, he with your help, takes down the camp and sets off for again for Candlekeep. After just an hour, he takes a right off the main road heading south, and joins a smaller road heading west. "Will be just another hour or two til we arrive." The dwarf says in increasingly confident common.

Pyrophilios
2021-04-18, 05:58 AM
"Good. No offence, but I'll be more than happy to get off the road and sleep in a real bed again. I'm still not used to living rough like this." Kynos replied, likewise cheered up by the prospect of reaching civilisation again.

Ramsus
2021-04-18, 11:43 AM
Half-Orc Bard

"It does leave one more sore than I had expected." Runa adds to Kynos' comment with a nod of agreement.

Dimers
2021-04-18, 03:38 PM
"All the same, I'll take this soreness --" Eleazar rubs a shoulder kinked from sleeping on lumpy ground last night. "Over the soreness of riding a horse and arriving faster. The one time I've ridden far at all, I felt battered for nigh a week. I don't know how cavalry handle it." The half-elf's expression is full of remembered pain for a moment before he laughs at himself. "Heh, of course, I'm sure they'd say the same about my work."

munimortal
2021-04-19, 02:13 AM
The final few miles of your journey pass quickly. The road to Candlekeep is much more barren than the Lion's Way. The ground is mostly rocky, with no outcropping of tress, and the ground becomes ever sandier as you approach the Sea of Swords. Very shortly your destination becomes visible in the distance. Striking a very eye-catching silhouette, Candlekeep is visible for many miles before you arrive. The road makes its way over pale straw like grasses, and the sounds of the ocean can once again be heard crashing in the distance.

Significantly more travelers can be seen now. There are numerous groups camped out along the entry road, and while most give you no notice, a few eye the suspiciously guarded crate in the dwarf's cart. As you get even closer, the gates resolve into focus. An outer wall of weathered tan stone, adorned with towers, circles an even larger collection of towers, which soar almost to the heavens, at the cliffs edge. The road ends at a double doored gate of dark wood and black metal. Both doors are emblazoned with a golden sigil, and one stands open enough to allow a cart to pass. Outside of the gate a line forms with several carts and groups of travelers. Two figures in purple robes bearing the same sigil stand before the doors.

Your driver pulls over a hundred feet or so from the end of the line, "Well, we are here, do you need help unloading?"

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/7/7f/Candlekeep-5e-small.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/1000?cb=20190918140528

Pyrophilios
2021-04-19, 10:45 AM
Kynos took in the sight with wonder. Absently he said to their driver: "What? Oh, no thank you, not much to carry. Do you need help with your cargo?."

Ramsus
2021-04-19, 12:05 PM
Half-Orc Bard

"Thank you sir, but I and my friends can handle what little luggage I brought with me on this journey." Runa says as the raccoons, crows, and Melody get to work carrying the chest containing most of her belongings and she herself wears the purse containing the rest.

"I am still quite curious what you might have in there." she adds.

Archemist
2021-04-19, 12:45 PM
"I am still quite curious what you might have in there." she adds.

Patricia travels light - she slings up her pack, leans on her staff for a moment, then says, "Thanks for the ride."

She listens with interest as Lady Runa asks about the crate, and adds, "At least give us your name that we might know who did us this favor. Or perhaps the one answer would give away the other?"

munimortal
2021-04-20, 02:23 AM
The elderly dwarf dismounts from his cart, and approaches the rear of the vehicle. His movements slow, as he begins to slowly remove the numerous straps holding the strange crate. "My name is Yutud Gravelfall, Chief Metalurgist of the Dwarven city of New Shanatar." Yutud says proudly, but still struggling to find the words in common. "Our mission and honor was to provide aid to the dwarves re-founding Gauntlgrym. But... while we were there..." And his hands begin to tremble as the last of the straps falls away.

A chest made of bright cherry wood with gold trimmings is revealed. Yutud reaches into the unlocked chest, and removes a gleaming silvery metal urn. Painted on one side is the relief of a lovely elderly dwarf who wears a necklace of numerous gems which have been inlayed into the urn itself. "My dearest Gamithra, whom I have loved for nearly three hundred years," he says with a sad glance to Lady Runa, "fell ill and passed away. She was my everything, the song which gave light to my life. She would have liked to hear you sing my Lady."

Pyrophilios
2021-04-20, 11:14 AM
"My sincere condolences. I hope she found rest among your ancestors." Kynos said quietly
"Our paths may be parting for now, but I hope we meet again."

That said, Kynos waved goodbye and waited for his companions to accompany him to the entrance of Candlekeep.

Ramsus
2021-04-20, 11:45 AM
Half-Orc Bard

Runa can't help but tear up a bit at that, but quickly wipes the tears away from her eyes. She wants to let him know she feels a similar pain, but she can't in this moment bring herself to put it into words. So instead she just gives the dwarf a big hug.

munimortal
2021-04-21, 01:47 AM
To your surprise Lady Runa, Yutud returns your hug. He returns the urn to its crate and secures it again for travel. After allowing you time to retrieve your equipment and goods, Yutud bids a final farewell. "I wish you well on your travels. If I pass by Fenrair's Rest again I will inquire of you." He gives one final nod and him and his battered horse and cart begin the path back to the main road.

Turning around you see that the line outside of the gates has died down in the last few minutes. Currently the two hooded figures stand guarding the open gate.

Pyrophilios
2021-04-21, 11:37 AM
Kynos smiled and waved to the dwarf before turning around, straightening himself and pulling out a rolled up scroll. With bold steps he led the group toward the guards:
"Greetings. I am Kynos of Falkenstein, I am here in the service of the Order of the Watchers, delivering a message from Abbot Varis Xenoliphes to his Eminence Magister Mordhau." He pulled out a small booklet that clearly had been read by dozens of people. "As a token to your traditions, here is a copy of the holy tenets of the order. In addition, our group has been asked by the residents of Finn's Rest to also speak to a Magister Matreous, regarding the lifting of a curse that has befallen said village. So we ask permission to enter your learned halls."

Archemist
2021-04-21, 12:04 PM
Patricia waves fondly to the dwarf, wishing him well sincerely.

She turns and walks with the others to the gate. She watches with interest, her head at a slight tilt, to gauge the effect of Sir Kynos’ speech of introduction, before saying anything herself.

munimortal
2021-04-22, 02:10 AM
At this closer range, the two hooded figures can be seen to be two men of strong build. Both sport shaved heads, and strong muscled arms can be seen with their short sleeved purple robes. The two men wear amulets which match the symbol on the doorway above their heads, and as Sir Kynos speaks they give their full attention to him and your party. Through Kynos' introduction you can see them eyeing the four of you trying to determine what kind of travelers you are, and if you will be trouble or not.

The monk on your right appears to be the senior of the two, and takes the tomb of holy tenants. "Entry gift, one standard issue copy of the Order of the Watcher's Tenants, I am sure we have numerous copies of this manuscript...", the gatekeeper says as he begins leafing through the well worn book. "Hmm, this copy seems particularly old, numerous notes scrawled in the margins in several hands, could be new information." The monk turns to face the open gateway and yells inside, "ACOLYTE! "

Almost immediately a small figure appears in purple robes which are far to big for them. With the shaved head, it is nearly impossible to identify the gender of this teenaged monk, and the high pitched voice is no clue either. "Sir?" "Run this tomb to the chief librarian, his apprentices should be able to verify if this is a worthy entrance gift." "Yes sir!" "And bring back a pitcher of ale, it has been a slow day," the second monk says after aiming a lazy kick at the young acolyte, missing wildly.

The elder monk gives the second an wry side eyed glance, but addresses Kynos, "It should only take a short time for this gift to be verified goodsir. If you are allowed entry Magister Mordhau is well known and his quarters are in the main tower near the top, anyone up there should be able to give you exact directions from there. I am unfamiliar with Magister Matreous." He addresses the other monk, "Vinpher, is that the magister who took your month's stipend at dice? Or is it the one you lost to for gate duty? Its so hard keeping track of the avowed who you have lost coin to lately"

"Oh very funny Erdar, very original. If these lot write that joke down they could enter now, and not wait for that acolyte to return. But no, I do not know any Matreous, you should ask at The Hearth, someone there will know how to reach them."

Pyrophilios
2021-04-22, 08:18 AM
Kynos frowned but didn't comment on the guard's verbal sparring. He had imagined that this place would be steeped in mysticism, rituals and formalities. But this was the old problem with assume making an...
He stopped that train of thought and focused again on the guard: "We've had a straineous travel to get here. Is there an opportunity for us to sit down and have something to drink and eat while we wait? Not to mention a bath."

Ramsus
2021-04-22, 11:55 AM
Half-Orc Bard

Runa just softly chuckles at the banter. Meeting colorful characters was part of the fun of an adventure afterall.

Dimers
2021-04-22, 05:04 PM
Grinning broadly, Eleazar asks, "And would you care for a game of dice while we wait, Vinpher? Sounds like you're just the sort of man I'd like to play against." Unlike Kynos, he's obviously comfortable with the lack of mysterious mysticism at the gate.

Archemist
2021-04-22, 08:54 PM
Patricia asks the elder guard, "May we pass this gate without presenting our 'donations' just yet? I had hoped to present it to the Head Librarian more personally. Is this Hearth place where Matreous might be staying also a place we could find lodging tonight?"

She seems annoyed at the guard's banter, as if torn between wanting to keep things friendly but edging towards asking to see their manager.

munimortal
2021-04-24, 01:46 AM
The elder gatekeeper answers, "Sadly none may enter expect those who have made their donation. Once accepted you will become 'seekers' with access to most of the grounds, but until then you may not enter. And Vinpher knows better to gamble while on duty," he says more to Vinpher than Eleazar, but as he does Vinpher whispers, "I am off at fifth bell, I play a regular game at The Hearth," and gives you a wink.

"In any event," Erdar continues largely ignoring his young compatriot, "the chief librarian sees very few people personally. Their duties are numerous, and only the most senior avowed consult with them. You would be lucky to meet with their senior apprentices, and more likely an acolyte. Do you have any other questions, or do you mind waiting? We should have an answer within an hour, and there are others waiting for entry."

Pyrophilios
2021-04-24, 08:31 AM
Kynos shrugged resigned.
"Very well, I'll wait over here then."
Kynos went to the side of the entrance and found a stone to sit on.

Ramsus
2021-04-24, 11:55 AM
Half-Orc Bard

"Ah. It seems like it is time for me to play a song for us to pass the time with. Any requests?" Runa asks, looking around at the entire group including the two guards.

Pyrophilios
2021-04-24, 01:14 PM
"I'm partial to the ballad Curse My Name (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIupOTGO3Bo)." Kynos replied, with a smile.

munimortal
2021-04-26, 01:28 AM
A short time after a second round of requests for Lady Runa, the young acolyte returns to the front gate. Looking out of breath, the urchin whispers something to Erdar, then returns inside the gates. Erdar gestures to your group and when you have gathered before him he says, "Your gift has been accepted and you are welcome to enter Candlekeep as seekers. If this is your first time visiting, it would be beneficial to acquaint yourself with the special laws and regulations our beloved repository of knowledge requires. In addition to the normal rules, you may not take any tombs or scrolls from these halls, or make copies of them. The house of binding can make copies for a fee if you require one. Also, violence of any kind is not tolerated. Finally, your visit is limited in duration to one tenday. If you require more time to do whatever research, another gift must be made. Now welcome seekers, I hope you find what you desire."

And with no further ado, Erdar steps aside and allows you entrance to Candlekeep. As you pass, Vinpher once again whispers to Eleazar, "I hope to see you tonight," and winks, giving his coin purse a little jingle. Once through the gates you see a very large courtyard ahead of you. The massive open area is enclosed by the same stone walls you just passed through. Directly ahead lies the great library, its massive spires reaching for the sky behind another gate, which stands open. To your immediate right as you enter is a smithy, followed by a stables, then a temple, and finally what appears to be an Inn. On your left, a row of circular buildings of unknown purpose hug he walls. Numerous people fill the streets, most are adorned with the same purple robes the gatekeepers wore, but you can find people of many forms of dress, from many areas, but most look wealthy, or at least, not poor. The nearly infinite wonders of the greatest library on Toril stands before you.

Pyrophilios
2021-04-26, 01:02 PM
"I'd say Inn first, so we can freshen up. I'm not keen to bring my message to the magister reeking like two weeks of bad roads. While I deliver my message, maybe you can inquire after the other magister in the meantime."
Kynos suggested as his eyes fell on the inn. More than anything, he wished for a bath right now.

Archemist
2021-04-26, 02:38 PM
Patricia nods in agreement, adding, “We can ask at the inn whether Matreous was also staying there.”

Ramsus
2021-04-26, 05:16 PM
Half-Orc Bard

"I was thinking much the same." Runa replies, not clarifying whose statement she was agreeing with.

munimortal
2021-04-27, 01:59 AM
You make your way to the inn. The building appears to be largely unremarkable. The modestly sized tavern is of a sturdy design as were the other buildings you passed on your way here. A warm light filters through the two windows that flank the entry door, and a moderately raucous noise emanates from inside.

The sturdy, but worn wooded door opens easily and without sound to reveal a tavern which is startlingly large. Directly ahead is bar with finely polished wood which is almost maroon in color, and can seat twenty without elbows touching. Above the bar, suspended by the ten foot ceiling is a golden clockwork device two feet in diameter. From this entry point you can see three distinct lounge areas, and three hallways lined in doors which appear to lead deeper into the building. There are also doors to the far left and far right of the tavern.

Creatures of all kinds inhabit the bar. Humans, elves, dwarves, halflings and many other races can be see, most wearing the purple robes of the avowed. Spread throughout the different lounges are round tables with squat little stools, large rectangular tables with benches, and to the right of the bar, a large open firepit with numerous soft chairs and loveseats. Unlike most taverns you have been in, an inordinate amount of the patrons can be seen reading tombs, or searching though piles of parchment scattered on a table. Some seem engaged in conversation, and to return a sense of normalcy you observe a few games of chance being played.

There are several servers, and two young looking humans are working at the bar.

Your superior perceptive skills reveal that this building is significantly larger on the inside than the exterior of the building would suggest. Also, in the back left of the building are several very tall stacks of books, behind which you spot what appears to be an Ogre reading a book.

Pyrophilios
2021-04-27, 10:21 AM
Pushing carefully a tome aside, Kynos leaned on the bar to ask one of the bartenders for rooms, a bath and a meal, while wondering if he might have just stepped into an other dimension.

Once he received confirmation for his wishes, he made haste to get most of his belongings up to his room, so he can at least wash his face and hands.

Ramsus
2021-04-27, 12:19 PM
Half-Orc Bard

While Kynos talked to one of the bartenders about rooms and so on, Runa pointed at the clockwork device and asked the other, "Could you tell me what that is?"

munimortal
2021-04-27, 01:19 PM
The youngish human female working the bar answers Lady Runa, "First time to Candlekeep? That is the geometric amplifier, it provides extra space in the Hearth. What knowledge brings you to Candlekeep seeker? "

Ramsus
2021-04-27, 04:53 PM
Half-Orc Bard

Runa blinks a few times and gives the bartender a look like "ah yes, just casually having magical artifacts of great power in your inn, no big deal." and replies, "We are looking for a wizard named Matreous to help with a cursed town. Or rather, that's the task we picked up on our way I suppose."

munimortal
2021-04-28, 02:20 AM
"Hmm, Matreous... a lot of wizards here, but that name does ring a bell. I think he had a study room somewhere in the Pillars. You should ask there." The bartender replies.

Meanwhile Kynos was offered a choice in rooms. Private rooms are available, single rooms for 2 GP per night, or suites that sleep up to 6 for 10 GP per night. The avowed also offer free lodging to seekers in barracks style rooms which sleep up to 12. Food is included in both rates. Under House of Rest, as the sleeping quarters is called, are baths and soaking pools which are available to all seekers.

Pyrophilios
2021-04-28, 10:55 AM
Kynos knew he had enough for at least a few nights in a single room and with only three companions a suite wouldn't be any cheaper, so he booked that.
"I'll freshen up at the baths - I'll be back here in an hour. Let's catch up then at dinner."
Kynos told his companions before departing to get out of his armor after a week on the road - an experience that he didn't want to share with his companions just yet.

munimortal
2021-04-29, 01:26 AM
The private room you book is small, but nicely furnished. The bed is of very high quality, and the sheets feel almost silken. You leave your armor in the room and head to the baths. They are down a level below the ground floor, and consist of numerous soaking pools. There is a fairly strong odor of rotting eggs. The pools vary in heat from slightly chilled to almost nearly boiling. Numerous fragrant oils are available, and drinks can be ordered as well.

Pyrophilios
2021-04-29, 03:50 PM
Happy, Kynos went down to the bath - scrubbing himself first before going to soak in the hottest tub he could stand. When he could stand the heat anymore he got out, used the ice cold water to cool down, before putting on the clean clothes he'd saved. With a sigh he also put on his armor again as the tenet of vigilance required to be ever ready for trouble. At least it too had been scrubbed with sand and an oiled cloth.
Feeling a lot more civilized again he went back to the common room with a few minutes to spare.

Archemist
2021-04-30, 07:05 PM
Patricia also requests a private room, where she gets a chance to freshen up her makeup and such before the party heads over to the Pillars. She looks positively glowing upon returning, though she hasn't visited the baths just yet.

She opines to the others, "These rooms ARE mighty expensive, but for my research in the Library proper maybe they'll give us study rooms like Matreous had. I am eager to meet the librarian mages and see what they know, too. And perhaps they'd be interested in my upcoming trip."

munimortal
2021-05-01, 01:13 AM
Early evening falls on the monastery of Candlekeep. The partially sunny day has given way to a thick fog that blankets the Court of Air. The Hearth begins to fill as those who have spent the day working within the massive library seek their evening sustenance and amusement. Sections begin to fill with what seems like a systemic regularity. Groups wander into the tavern, make small talk near the bar then shuffle over to tables and couches. Extra wait staff seem to materialize from nowhere, ready for these newcomers.

The smells of stews and freshly baked bread begin to fill the room, as do the odd odors of pipe weeds and incense. Half the tables seem committed to revelry while the other seem staunchly opposed, feverishly devoted to whatever areas of study occupied them before this rush of new customers.

Kynos and Patricia are just returning from freshening up. It has been about two hours since you arrived at the inn. Can Lady Runa and Eleazar let me know what you were up to in that time? I will try to include this in my next post.

Ramsus
2021-05-01, 11:46 AM
Half-Orc Bard

Runa spends the first hour chatting up some of the patrols that aren't nose deep in old tomes and scrolls, mostly just enjoying the variety of people and their stories.

When she realizes her other companions are going to still be a while, she inquires with the barkeep, "I am a little low on funds. Perchance would my services as a bard suffice?"

Pyrophilios
2021-05-02, 03:39 PM
After becoming clean again, Kynos looked forward to becoming satiated. He took the liberty of ordering some wine for himself and his companions.

Dimers
2021-05-02, 08:09 PM
Eleazar nods to Kynos and Patricia as they return to the commons looking refreshed. He seems to be doing some people-watching, passively listening to conversations nearby without attempting to insert himself or bend an ear in any given direction ... unless the name Matreous happens to come up, that is.

munimortal
2021-05-03, 02:16 AM
Eleazar and Lady Runa spend a couple hours in the Hearth, while their companions go off to refresh themselves. The bartender is willing to have Runa play for the patrons, but warns, "The daytime crowd is a bit studious, I would recommend some lighter atmospheric selections, if you know any. Perhaps as evening falls, the more lively group would appreciate some vigorous pieces." And shows Runa to a small chair in one corner of the tavern.

Eleazar spends the time listening in on nearby conversations. They mostly consist of goings on around Candlekeep, which Avowed are being considered for Master, or Great Readers. There is some talk about how the reconstruction of Elturel progresses in the wake of its near destruction.

Eventually, the party comes back together as the evening crowd arrives. A fine light red wine is served just as Lady Runa finishes playing, and tables begin to fill around the one you have claimed.

While you play, you notice a large creature peek its head around an almost fort of books in the back of the tavern. You swear that it is an Ogre, or at least as big as one, but it slips back behind the tomes before you can be sure. Also, if you make a performance roll, either here or OOC we can determine how much you earned in the couple hours you played.

Of particular interest is a hushed, but animated discussion of the something called the Endless Chant. The two are arguing about if the "holy city once destroyed, shall unleash the beasts long annoyed" line refers to the recent events in Elturel. One of the speakers is adamant that since Elturel was not completely destroyed, it cannot be the holy city in the prophecy, the other seems to believe that the destruction was complete enough, and someone should be checking on plans being made by demons, devils, were-creatures or the like.

Ramsus
2021-05-03, 11:19 AM
Half-Orc Bard

Runa plays as the barkeep suggested, as she didn't mind saving her voice a bit anyway. So she plays some melodies on her flute earlier then later switches to the lute and singing. She attempts to wave at the Ogre(!?) to get it come out of its book fort.

Performance: [roll0]

Pyrophilios
2021-05-03, 04:24 PM
Kynos clapped in time to the fiddle play and even took part in the chorus when other patrons also fell in.
Otherwise, he enjoyed the moment and the amenities of civilization.
Kynos looked in the direction that Runa was winking and remembered the half glimpsed ogre, wondering if the reading ogre would come out and take part in the festivities here.

Archemist
2021-05-03, 05:05 PM
Patricia comes in right near the end of the music but applauds heartily. "Brava!"

She says to the small group once Lady Runa has come to sit with them again, "It's tempting to split up to ask around about this Matreous fellow but I think we should stick together for the moment. We're all new here and we wouldn't want to run into the wrong sort of people. Well, before 5th bell, anyhow." She gives a glance and wink at Eleazar.

munimortal
2021-05-04, 01:05 AM
As the wine Kynos ordered is delivered to the table, the waiter says "This round is on the gentleman by the firepit, in the green cloak, and many more have offered to buy drinks for the 'fetching minstrel'." she says with a smile to Runa. A short time later you hear the bells begin to ring in the great towers at the center of Candlekeep. Minutes after, a fresh wave of Avowed enter the Hearth, you realize that the purple cloaks were in a slim minority before the bells rang, but their numbers have swelled greatly, taking up almost every seat in the tavern.

One figure stops by your table as they make their way into the room, removing his hood, you recognize Vinpher from the gates. "Greetings again fair travelers, if you were still interested in that game, we play in one of the private chambers down the hall," and he gestures towards one of the two hallways that lead to the back behind the bar. "Depending on how many rooms were needed tonight, we are usually the third door, it should be marked with a pair of dice. I should warn you, I am sure my luck streak is due for a change, no more guard duty with that strait-arrow Erdar." And almost as quick as he arrived, he darts off to the back hallway, only stopping to swipe and unattended drink from the edge of the bar.

Nightly festivities are in full swing now. Another bard has taken up the stage, drinks are flowing, and food pours out from the kitchens.

After the initial sighting, the figure in the back does not reappear. But as you watch several other people visit behind the fortress of tomes. Some bring books, others return with them, some seem to be making exchanges, but none stay very long. During your performance, most people who tipped dropped in a silver or two, but a few were much more generous than that, enamored by both you and your playstyle. At the end of your playing session you collect 8 gp 25sp and 13 cp from your lute case.

You do not see the ogre emerge, but as you watch several other people visit behind the fortress of tomes. Some bring books, others return with them, some seem to be making exchanges, but none stay very long.

Ramsus
2021-05-04, 11:04 AM
Half-Orc Bard

Runa accepts the first round of drinks, but with a nervous laugh she tells the barkeep, "I had best keep it to a minimum, I would not want it to effect my playing." Though in truth that wasn't really her biggest concern. The last thing she needed was a bottomless cup of spirits and she also just wasn't used to this much positive attention. The short time she spent with her new family didn't erase the lifetime with her old one afterall.

When she's finished playing, the raccoons collect the coins and after playing with them in their hands for a bit, put them away for her as she gives a smile and a bow to the room before she settles in on whatever is brought out for dinner. If there's an opportunity she introduces herself to the other bard.

Pyrophilios
2021-05-04, 03:02 PM
Kynos got curious. He stood up and went towards the hidden ogre in his book fortress.

"Good evening. What kind of service are you offering here?"

munimortal
2021-05-04, 10:02 PM
As you turn the corner of the wall of books that form a barricade in the back corner of the Hearth, you see a massive ogre seated on large soft looking pillows. The ogre is wearing a nicely tailored shirt, pants and a headband with diamond in it. He is surrounded by hundreds of books covering numerous subjects. He is reading a particularly large leather bound tome and picking at what appears to be a half roasted pig on a large platter nearby.

"Service? No service, just help and advice as I can manage. Do you come seeking knowledge?" The ogre says is an almost serene voice.

Pyrophilios
2021-05-05, 10:07 AM
"In a way, yes. My friends and I are looking for a Mage called Matreous. Do you know where we could find him? A village suffers from some kind of curse and hopes that he can help them."
Kynos answered courteously.

munimortal
2021-05-05, 01:17 PM
"Matreous? Why yes, he was just here earlier this morning. I helped him find a book by none other than Mordenkainen, 'The Joy of Extradimensional Spaces'. I would guess he is studying it now. I have books on curses as well if you are interested." And the ogre begins digging into the piles of books that surround him.

Archemist
2021-05-05, 01:39 PM
"Matreous? Why yes, he was just here earlier this morning. I helped him find a book by none other than Mordenkainen, 'The Joy of Extradimensional Spaces'. I would guess he is studying it now. I have books on curses as well if you are interested." And the ogre begins digging into the piles of books that surround him.

Patricia has wandered closer, coming up behind Kynos, and peers at the books with interest. She will give them a once-over even if he does not, asking about any authors whose names sound interesting, and about the book Matreous took. “Do you have another copy?”

munimortal
2021-05-05, 01:47 PM
Patricia sees books covering numerous topics by just as many authors. Many first editions, and several very rare books are included in his collection. "Greetings to you too miss, but sadly no, that is the only copy in Candlekeep's library. Works by Mordenkainen are few and far between, beings prized possessions by powerful wizards. This copy was one such, donated along with her entire collection by one Fistandia."

Pyrophilios
2021-05-05, 03:08 PM
"Thank you for your help. I'm afraid my learned friend here would be much better equipped to make use of a book on curses. I am but a humble servant of the light. Still, it is good to know that he is here somewhere. Do you know where his quarters are? Or failing that, who has the knowledge about the accomodations of the residents here?

Oh, but where are my manners: This is Patricia Stratton, Grand Wizard of Amn and I am Kynos of Falkenstein, pleased to make your acquaintance."
Kynos introduced Patricia and himself.

munimortal
2021-05-05, 04:08 PM
"I am pleased to meet you, I am known as Little One. I would ask in the Pillars for Matreous, most seekers have study rooms there. There is generally someone in the entrance who can point you in the right direction."

Pyrophilios
2021-05-06, 01:26 AM
"Thank you, I'll do just that." Kynos replied with a slight bow.
Taking back the news to the others, he sat back down to enjoy the rest of the wine.
"Let's see if we can get that square away before we go to bed. This mage should be in his room at nightfall."

Dimers
2021-05-06, 07:38 AM
One figure stops by your table as they make their way into the room, removing his hood, you recognize Vinpher from the gates. "Greetings again fair travelers, if you were still interested in that game, we play in one of the private chambers down the hall," and he gestures towards one of the two hallways that lead to the back behind the bar. "Depending on how many rooms were needed tonight, we are usually the third door, it should be marked with a pair of dice. I should warn you, I am sure my luck streak is due for a change, no more guard duty with that strait-arrow Erdar."

Eleazar smiles, amused at Vinpher's eagerness, but has to demur. "I'm afraid I don't have enough to lose just yet. We'll see if I can't find some odd jobs to build up a nice stake for you to snatch away."

Taking back the news to the others, Kynos sat back down to enjoy the rest of the wine.
"Let's see if we can get that square away before we go to bed. This mage should be in his room at nightfall."

"With luck, someone to guide us will also be available. From a glance at the outside of the Pillars, I don't relish the thought of trying to find my way among them unaided!" Eleazar looks wry. "Again, what I'd give for a good map ..."

munimortal
2021-05-08, 01:00 AM
You step out of the lively Hearth tavern, and into the cool, crisp, salt tinged air of Candlekeep's Court of Air. Although not fully night, the sun has dropped below the monastery's walls casting everything into shadow. Teams of avowed, in their purple attire, ignite torches around the court to provide illumination. Although darkened you can see the many circular buildings of the Pillars of Pedagogy across the open aired plaza from your current location. They lay beyond a smaller inner wall into which a squat, rectangular building stands flanked by two torches which produce green flame.

As the party approaches this building, you glance up to the many towers of Candlekeep, each tower is lit with hundreds of smaller lights, torches, fires, and magical effects which produce the entire spectrum of colors. The effect is a mysterious, and extremely beautiful rainbow of light which is always be changing, as if alive, as lights are produced or extinguished as needed. The plaza you cross is also a bustle with activity as businesses hurry to finish daily tasks. Carts are making their last trips to and from destinations, and the well practiced rituals of hurrying late shoppers begins.

You make it to the entrance to the Pillars, the building is the same tan stone, but with windows of clear glass and wooden frames. The door is a single medium sized door, with brass fittings and a light oaken wood. The door is unlocked, and as you enter you find a dimly lit room flanked in bookcases, and in the center a large wooden desk. Seated at the desk is a wiry, exhausted looking female avowed. She is surrounded by tomes, and barely glances up as you enter. She grabs the larges tome on the desk, fingers through it and says, "If you are looking for a study hall, plenty are available in the history and language buildings. There are a couple available in geography, planar studies, and technology. Arcana and theology are full, but new rooms can be made in the morning. And in any event it is too late to assign guides, so I hope you brought your own research material with you."

Pyrophilios
2021-05-08, 07:37 AM
"Actually we aren't looking for research but for a researcher. Can you tell us in which room we might find Magister Matreous? We are tasked to bring him a message."
Kynos responded amiably.

munimortal
2021-05-09, 01:45 AM
"Matreous, Matreous...", the desk worker mumbled to herself as she flipped through the large pages of the tome on her desk. "Ahh here it is, Arcane building, floor three, room 2. Head through the door behind me, the Arcane Building is the largest one directly almost directly the courtyard." She closes the book, and looks up slightly annoyed. "Now, is there anything else I can do? Or can I get back to my studies?"

Pyrophilios
2021-05-09, 05:57 AM
"Thank you, that would be all." Kynos replied with a smile.
Finally having a concrete destination, he nodded at his companions and set out to follow the directions.

munimortal
2021-05-09, 05:46 PM
You make your way through the back door, and into a much smaller, but beautifully kept courtyard. Numerous flowers and shrubbery line cobble pathways between the numerous circular buildings of the Pillars. Almost straight ahead is the largest of them, with a large arcane symbol above its doorway. Following the clerc's instructions, you enter the unlocked door to find a narrow hallway leading to a spiral staircase. The walls are all made of stone, and it is eerily quiet.

Once you reach the staircase you see eight doorways in the walls of this circular room which reaches up at least four floors. Following the stairs up, you pass the second floor with only five such doorways, and finally, you arrive on the fourth floor with only three doorways, all clearly labeled with common numerals

Ramsus
2021-05-09, 07:55 PM
Half-Orc Bard

"I believe we've arrived." Runa comments and enters room II, then looks around for someone who might be the wizard Matreous.

munimortal
2021-05-09, 10:10 PM
The unlocked door opens to reveal a large single room. Bookshelves line the walls, but largely stand empty, only a few books and scrolls on their shelves. The wooden bookshelves give way along the walls to three windows set into the stone walls on the exterior of the circular building. A dim light fills the room from the setting sun, illuminating the only other piece of furniture in the room, a large oaken desk. Two sturdy but unremarkable chairs sit next to the table, with a backpack sitting on the ground next to the chair closest to the door. On the desk sits a single item. A heavy looking tome made of ornately tooled leather decorated with gold filigree, the cover features an illustration of an imposing looking spellcaster.

No one occupies the room.

Pyrophilios
2021-05-10, 12:22 PM
Curious, Kynos entered and looked around: "Magister Matreous? Hello? Are you there?"
When no answer came, he went closer to the desk with the book "I suspect that is that Mordenkainen's Tome. I wonder why someone would leave such a valuable object just lying around."

Kynos looked for any notes that Matreous might have left around, also opening the book, looking for clues.

Archemist
2021-05-10, 10:28 PM
Patricia also enters the room and gives it a once-over. She warns Kynos as he reaches to pick up the book: "Be careful with-" but barely gets any words out before he's cracked it open and begun reading.

She says, "Well, if this is the right place... perhaps he's hiding? Or wandered off?" She peeks under the desk and behind a few of the books (though obviously it'd be quite surprising if he were small enough to just be behind a book). She gives the backpack a heft experimentally, though she doesn't open it yet. "If we have a minute I could look for any magical traces, though I imagine almost everything around here has some aura or other."

munimortal
2021-05-11, 01:00 AM
You open the book. As you quickly scan it, you determine that the books is 'The Joy of Extradimensional Spaces'. The tome appears both old, and well read. It appears to describe numerous spells involved in making everything from bags of holding to entire pocket dimensions. There are also quite a few notes, written in a delicate script, in the margins. It appears to be some form of shorthand which will take some time to decipher.

The bag feels like it has several items in it, but is not stuffed full.

Dimers
2021-05-11, 08:35 AM
"I wonder why someone would leave such a valuable object just lying around."

"Good question, Kynos. Maybe Matreous went to bathe or answer nature's call or somesuch, but if I'd had something that precious entrusted to me, I'd keep it locked up or with me at all times. Hm --" Eleazar looks to see whether the room even has a lock.

Pyrophilios
2021-05-11, 12:02 PM
"The Joy of Extradimensional Spaces", Kynos red aloud. "Third option is that he tested out a new spell. I think I need one of you scholars to decipher those notes here. It's all Goblin to me."

Kynos left the book open and looked around for a restroom where to Matreous could conceavable have vanished.

munimortal
2021-05-11, 12:38 PM
The room contains no other doorways, but the single entrance does have both a lock and a security bar. It is possible one of the many doors you passed is a restroom, or perhaps in another building entirely.

Dimers
2021-05-11, 01:17 PM
"Decipher illegible script? Hah, you've chosen just the right under-librarian to travel with, m'friend!" Eleazar zips over to the open book to see what Kynos was referring to.

Ramsus
2021-05-11, 11:40 PM
Half-Orc Bard

"I suppose I shall poke around while you do that then?" Runa suggests. If there are no objections she goes to check out the other rooms in search of their missing wizard.

"It's all Goblin to me." cracked me up. :smallbiggrin:

Zero Prime
2021-05-12, 07:18 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/HnKTZpDg/Besmara-Sea-witch.jpg
Besmara the Sea Witch (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2405189)
AC: 15 | HP: 12 | CURRENT: 12 | HIT DIE: 1d10 | CURRENT: 1d10
PASSIVE PERCEPTION: 14| PASSIVE INSIGHT: 12
Active Effects: None.
Conditions: None.

As the group began to investigate the Magister's study, a handsome woman of average height rounded the corner. She wore a heavy brocade & leather jacket, over her blouse and bodice. A broad brimmed tricorn hat sat atop, patterned kercheif and auburn curls, she scanned the room, placing a stack of books and journals on the desk as her hand, cautiously, moved towards her hip. "Ahoy me buckos!" She called by way of greeting, "Have ye come to the Magister's study ta pilfer and claim yer prize? If'n so, you've botched yer job and not placed a man on the door, ya saavy?"

Pyrophilios
2021-05-12, 10:16 AM
Kynos looked up with a both curiosity and a frown:
"Pardon? I don't think I caught all that. But if you are implying that we are thieves I can lay your fears to rest. I'm Kynos of Falkenstein, Member of the Order of the Watchers. My companions and I are looking for Magister Matreous. The fact that he left some very valuable possessions ungarded has raised som questions among us.
May I ask you your esteemed name and your function in this establishment?"

Ramsus
2021-05-12, 11:45 AM
Half-Orc Bard

Without meaning to, Runa responds, "Oh! A lady pirate! Like the ones from the bawdy ballads!" She clearly didn't absorb anything Besmara actually said and is expecting to see behavior and hear lines you'd expect from a trashy romance novel or the like. Which she is apparently quite thrilled to be seeing come to life.

Zero Prime
2021-05-12, 01:32 PM

Besmara shrugged, before taking off her hat and making a sweeping bow, speaking first to Kynos, "Mister Falkenstein, I meant no disrespect," a half crooked smile, "ya see, when the gods see to give you a hammer, all yer problems tend to look like nails, yea? So I see three strangers pokin' around the Magister's study, 'n I say to my self, 'Self, why would these fine folk be nosin' about the study?' And me self would answer, 'Why the same reason you would Besmara, to steal sumthin' o' value.' So allow me to introduce myself, I am Besmara, guest of the Keep, and collector of appelations, the least offensive of which, would be the Sea Witch."

She turned, placing her hat back atop her head, and turned to face the green skinned beauty, "'n who might you e, my lovely? For 'tis true, I c'n walk the walk, and talk the talk o' the seas, havin' served on 'em for longer than I been ashore. And if it be bawdy tales you want, there's a cost, ya? Drinks and a twirl, been ta long since last these legs had cause to dance." She looked from the stacks of books she had placed down, to the room vacant Matreous, whom she had been expecting.

"I'd had cause to go over some notes with the Magister this aft, he had a love of alchemy and artifice, two things I am well acquainted with, ya?" As she spoke, she swept her coat back to reveal a device of brass, steel and dark mahogany wood. It bent forward as grip and stock of a crossbow, yet more elegant, with delicate filagree along the plates where a strangely angled hammer rested over a striking plate. The device was held in a leather holster, itself tooled and carved with loving care.

Archemist
2021-05-12, 09:07 PM
"ya see, when the gods see to give you a hammer, all yer problems tend to look like nails, yea? So I see three strangers pokin' around the Magister's study, 'n I say to my self, 'Self, why would these fine folk be nosin' about the study?' And me self would answer, 'Why the same reason you would Besmara, to steal sumthin' o' value.' So allow me to introduce myself, I am Besmara, guest of the Keep, and collector of appelations, the least offensive of which, would be the Sea Witch."

"I'd had cause to go over some notes with the Magister this aft, he had a love of alchemy and artifice, two things I am well acquainted with, ya?"

"Indeed, alchemy and artifice, two of my favorites. I myself am a Grand Wizard but I do not recognize your little device there. What does it do?

And I've been looking for a good captain for my latest voyage, if you would be so inclined. Off to the newly-reappeared isle of Maztica! Do you have a ship you use for your pirating?" The blue dragonborn is stately but also excited to meet a new face, especially someone who will make her look so reputable by comparison.

Pyrophilios
2021-05-13, 03:03 AM
"So, what you are trying to say is that he should be here at this time and hour? Worrying indeed." Kynos wasn't sure what to think about self professed piracy. After all piracy was a hanging crime. For the moment he was prepared to accept this as a joke and continue with the problem at hand.

Zero Prime
2021-05-13, 06:41 AM

Besmara nodded at the magnificent looking blue-scaled dragonborn, patting her hip. "This lil beaut will blow a ball o' iron through a man's chest at ten paces. Ya see, the hammer strikes the pan, which lights tha' fuse and sets a wad o' smokepowder alight. The explosion pushes the shot through the barrel, and where it comes out with all tha' force ta' punch through a proper forged breastplate." She smiled, obviously enjoying explaining the technology, however, she moved her hand allowing her long, thick, coat to conceal the weapon again, "As fer a ship? Well, seein' as the vessel I sailed as a girl was sank by the Fists in tha' Gray Harbour, they named me 'captive' cuz my Captain, she was not willin' ta see me hang. So I served with the Fist for a year ta' commute mah sentence, served aboard their ship as swabbie, rigger, and navigator. Sadly, they d'na see fit to gift me a ship o' my own when I left. So if'n you truly wish ta see this island of yours, we'll have to procure one, nay?"

Looking back to Kynos, and reminded of the larger problem at hand, she nodded towards the backpack, "If'n a man packs a ruck for a trip to his own study, then he be expectin' ta take a journey, ya?" And with that she moved towards the backpack to inspect it's contents.

munimortal
2021-05-13, 11:52 PM
As Eleazar combs over the tome trying to decipher the script in the margins, Besmara tears into the backpack and Lady Runa returns to the hallway searching for clues in the hallway.

Everyone can see Besmara upend the bag onto the floor, numerous scrolls, quills, ink bottles and random personal effects go scattering across the floor. As you scan the documents, they all seem to be half finished papers, or notes on a few topics, but all seem to have the same theme of curses and how to break them. One page in particular seems to be a wish list/study guide noting books which might be available in Candlekeep, none of which is "The Joy of Extradimensional Spaces".

Lady Runa returns to the central stairwell, and knocks on the other doors. From room 1, no response comes, but as she turns to room 3, she can already see a figure poking its head out the doorway. "Keep it down! Some of us are doing research!" the wizened old lady says in a hushed command. "Why are you bothering private study rooms?"

Ramsus
2021-05-14, 12:00 PM
Half-Orc Bard

"My apologies." Runa says only somewhat apologetically, "We had been told we could find the wizard Matreous in that room back there." Runa points at the room, "But instead all we found were his belongings and a book he'd been researching. We thought perhaps he might have gone to another room for some reason." at this Runa shrugs to convey "Because we didn't have any better ideas."

munimortal
2021-05-14, 12:32 PM
"Oh, that cute, young man across the hall? I heard him come back from dinner about an hour ago. I did not hear anyone leave. Not that I am keeping tabs on him," she says a bit defensively.

Pyrophilios
2021-05-14, 04:01 PM
Kynos who had followed Runa outside to let the mages do their work frowned at those words: "Hm, this sounds more and more like Matreous didn't actually leave the building through a conventional door. I bet the book has something to do with it."

Dimers
2021-05-14, 07:17 PM
Eleazar, thoroughly nonplussed by Besmara's self-introduction, tries half-heartedly to concentrate on the task at hand. He pauses and frowns when Kynos suggests that the book may have had an active role in the magician's disappearance. He closes it around one finger, turns it over, examines the edges, thumps the binding a couple times, frowns again ... then shrugs and returns to the marginalia.

Archemist
2021-05-14, 08:09 PM
Patricia, who has been watching all the running around but not really partaking in it herself, frowns slightly. She seems half ready to take the book from Eleazar but decides to let him read. "'The Joy Of Extradimensional Spaces' certainly sounds like a title that would lead elsewhere. Matreous may have lost himself in a book quite literally. I think I was right to urge caution with the book... just don't read anything aloud, eh, Eleazar?"

To Besmara, she adds, "Condolences on the loss of your ship. You certainly look the part of captain, I have no idea why they'd have passed you over."

Ramsus
2021-05-14, 11:56 PM
Half-Orc Bard

Runa coming back to the others to more easily converse, responds, "This may be a bit of a wild idea, but you don't think that might be him there on the cover do you?"

munimortal
2021-05-15, 12:16 AM
Despite all the noise and interruptions around you, you discover that the script in the margins is rather easy to decipher. Whoever wrote in the book used a shorthand fairly similar to one you learned in Silverymoon, but with a few modifications. Most of the notes in the margins mention ideas to improve, or list limitations of the spells described in the book, but one section seems to be of significantly denser notation. The pages dealing with Mordenkainen’s Magnicent Mansion. The script notes changes made to create a permenant mansion, and a command word to open a portal there, "scepter".

Pyrophilios
2021-05-18, 02:19 PM
Kynos waited patiently. He knew from experience that scholars seldomly found it helpful if you asked them if they had found something yet.
So he stood silently and watched - especially the self proclaimed pirate.

Dimers
2021-05-20, 10:23 AM
Eleazar slowly places the open book back on the table. He announces, "One note describes a keyword for revealing an extradimensional space someone else has already created. Let's try speaking that keyword -- in a few languages, if necessary -- once you're all ready. It might do nothing at all, but it might also show us where Matreous is."

Pyrophilios
2021-05-20, 01:54 PM
Kynos quirked an eyebrow, drew his sword and raised his shield. "I'm as ready as I can be."

Archemist
2021-05-20, 07:01 PM
Eleazar slowly places the open book back on the table. He announces, "One note describes a keyword for revealing an extradimensional space someone else has already created. Let's try speaking that keyword -- in a few languages, if necessary -- once you're all ready. It might do nothing at all, but it might also show us where Matreous is."

Patricia nods, also ready. "Should we join hands, as in school?" If there is general assent, she places a soft hand on Kynos' shoulder so that he doesn't have to put away his weapon or shield.

Zero Prime
2021-05-22, 07:29 AM

Besmara smirked, standing up as the half elven scholar shared the information regarding an extra-dimensional something or other. "What are we waitin' fer than lads? Ain't never been ta a realm o' magic, but if it can help a wizard, and put 'em in our debt. There are a great many things can be bought with a mage's favor, yea?" However, despite her bravado, Besmara was more than slightly nervous, and, if truth be told, excited. She had never stepped across dimensional boundaries, she'd heard them talked of in the most general of terms, but it felt kind of like stepping foot on a new ship, an experience she'd never had before, and the wave of anticipation, uncertainty, and apprehension washed over her as the adrenalin kicked in and she prepared herself for the unkown.

Ramsus
2021-05-22, 11:55 AM
Half-Orc Bard

Runa just shrugs and links arms with Kynos and Besmara. "There, I'm evenly balanced and if something goes wrong, I can at least say a wizard did it." she thinks to herself.

munimortal
2021-05-24, 10:32 PM
As the command word is spoken, you hear the sound of a brass door knocker hitting solid wood three times. Appearing about two feet in front of the desk are translucent wooden doors featuring door knockers. The doors are wrapped in an indigo fog. As you watch these ethereal doors, you can see fog dissipating, and the edges of the doors fading from view. You would guess the doors will be gone in a matter of minutes.

Archemist
2021-05-24, 11:26 PM
As the command word is spoken, you hear the sound of a brass door knocker hitting solid wood three times. Appearing about two feet in front of the desk are translucent wooden doors featuring door knockers. The doors are wrapped in an indigo fog. As you watch these ethereal doors, you can see fog dissipating, and the edges of the doors fading from view. You would guess the doors will be gone in a matter of minutes.

Patricia reaches out and knocks on one of the knockers three times, as if mimicking the noise. Then she adds, "Hello?"

Unless the response is overtly hostile (like a "go away!" or some trap) she'll go ahead and open the door slowly and step through.

munimortal
2021-05-25, 01:30 AM
Everyone sees Patricia reach out to knock on the door, the moment her hand comes into contact with where the door should be, she disappears without a sound.

I will describe what you see in a different spoiler if the party does not also attempt to knock or go though the doors as well. (giving them a round or two to react)

Pyrophilios
2021-05-25, 09:58 AM
"Don't leave the manual behind!" Kynos stowed his sword so he could grab the book on the table.
"It seems this door closes after some time. Maybe we should tell someone before we go through there - just in case."
Kynos took a bit of parchment and wrote on it:

"There is a portal in reading room #(whatever this rooms number is). If you are reading this, we didn't make it back out again in time.
Please call out the word (Whatever the keyword was) and do under no circumstances touch the appearing portal without giving this message to someone else and less curious."

He placed the message on the desk before turning to the portal: "Alright, let's see where this leads us, before touching the portal as well."

Ramsus
2021-05-25, 12:02 PM
Half-Orc Bard

Runa waits just a moment after Kynos touches the door to make sure he doesn't forget the book or it doesn't go with him. (In which case she'll just put it on the table under the note.) Then she touches the door herself. She tries to keep it off her face that she's having a lot of fun right now.

Zero Prime
2021-05-25, 05:28 PM

Besmara watched as the individuals within the study summoned a set of enchanted doors, and the dragonborn calmly rapped on the entry, before crossing the boundary between this world and wherever those doors connected them to. It was brave, and more than a little foolhardy. In truth, Besmara was ashamed she hadn't been the first through the breech, but no sense crying over spilt wine, with a spring in her step, she hopped through the door as the green skinned beauty held it open, "Appreciate tha' thought luv," she snarked as she went through, her flintlock drawn, loaded and prepared to greet any guardians on the other side.

munimortal
2021-05-26, 12:04 AM
Patricia, followed shortly by the rest of the party, feels a strange tugging sensation as the world suddenly turns black. This feeling lasts only a moment, and when it passes you find yourselves in what appears to be a small foyer measuring ten feet by ten feet. The walls behind you are made of carefully mortared stone, and a double door of oak bound by iron. Hallways extend down to the left and the right with a stairway visible just at the beginning of the right hallway. The ceiling is fifteen feet above you, and oil lamps provide light to the interior, but the same indigo light can be seen seeping down the hallway.

Standing in this entry hall, a middle aged human figure in gray robes stares at you first with shock then relief. "Oh, thank Mystra! I thought I would be trapped here until I could figure out the command word to return to Candlekeep. Oh! Before I forget..." the figure says as he begins casting a spell towards the door behind you. "There, that should keep the doorway open! Greetings! My name is Matreous. Who are you my saviors? You don't look like avowed."

https://i.ibb.co/dMWX7jb/fistandias-mansion1.jpg

Archemist
2021-05-26, 02:49 AM
Standing in this entry hall, a middle aged human figure in gray robes stares at you first with shock then relief. "Greetings! My name is Matreous. Who are you my saviors? You don't look like avowed."

Patricia smiles warmly... which, as a dragonborn, may be somewhat intimidating. She says, "And I am Patricia Stratton, Grand Wizard of Amn!" She pauses dramatically, as if expecting some fanfare, and as she bows, there is indeed a little sound of glad trumpets. "Not avowed, no. Simply travelers. But we have been looking all over for you, Matreous. Curses abound out in the wide world which need your attention, and here you've gotten yourself stuck in a book. Tsk tsk. But do tell: have you been here long? And where ARE we?"

Ramsus
2021-05-26, 11:42 AM
Half-Orc Bard

"Lady Runa of House Ouss’viir, pleased to make your acquaintance." Runa replies and holds out her hand to be kissed or some such. She's a bit distracted as she's more focused on looking around.

Pyrophilios
2021-05-26, 12:16 PM
Kynos looked around in amazement. "A yes, Sir Kynos of Falkenstein. At your service.
I took the liberty of bringing your book. Should we leave this place and converse in your study. I do distrust the stability of this portal somewhat."

munimortal
2021-05-26, 01:59 PM
Matreous grabs Lady Runa's hand, and gives it a firm shake. "It is a pleasure to meet you all. We find ourselves in a a Mordenkainen’s magnicent mansion, or should I say, Fistandia's Mansion. I discovered this place quite by accident. I have a habit of casting detect magic in whatever place I spend significant time, and found the inactive portal to this place. With some research, and help from Little One, I was able to locate that tome," He points to the book in Kyno's posession.

"I will admit to a bit of excitement and foolishness, and was taken a bit off guard. Thankfully I have only been here for about an hour. I assure you, the doorway will not close while that spell is active, and it can stay that way for several hours." He turns to Patricia and says, "You say there are curses? How significant is the threat? I am hesitant to leave, there must be so much to learn here. I have already found a wonderfully carved onyx figurine of an imp, who know what other treasures this place holds."

Pyrophilios
2021-05-26, 02:24 PM
"Can I see the statue? One of my teachers warned me to always check lifelike looking statues for gargoyles, victims of a flesh to stone and other curses."
Kynos looked around: "Besides, this place will be around a while longer I think. No need to rush."

If the magister shows the statue, Kynos will employ his Divine Sense

munimortal
2021-05-26, 08:25 PM
"This little trinket? Sure you can see it. I am sure it is just a token of of the wonderful and powerful objects we might find here."

Your divine senses detect that the item registers as a fiend, but the sense is weaker than normal for something so close to you.

Pyrophilios
2021-05-27, 11:41 AM
"Careful with that thing. It's muted but there is definitetly a strong hint of fiendishness about it. Better keep it in a secure container."
Kynos looked around "If that is the kind of things to be found around here, I think we have to be very careful where we go and what we touch."

Ramsus
2021-05-27, 11:53 AM
Half-Orc Bard

"Is it a devil pretending to be a statue then? Or just the product of some demon's pottery hobby?" Runa half-jokingly asks,

Dimers
2021-05-27, 02:18 PM
When Runa suggests a demonic potter, Eleazar laughs loudly for a moment before covering up and continuing to chuckle. "I would never have thought of that, Lady Runa! But whyever not? Immortal creatures would benefit from hobbies to while away the hours."

To the magnificent Matreous, Eleazar asks, "Pray tell, what can you tell us about this 'Fistandia' person?"

Archemist
2021-05-27, 02:31 PM
Patricia recoils from the imp figurine in surprise. "Yes, who in the world would be keeping such a thing in their house?!? Whose house is this and why did they put it in a book?"

Zero Prime
2021-05-27, 02:52 PM

Besmara nodded her head towards the Magister, "Matreous, you were late for our meeting, where we were to discuss the economic fortunes of the Calimshan sultans, and their merchant fleets, yes?" She smirked, feigning annoyance, "For that, good sir, you at least owe a lady a decent bottle of brandy." The more observant of her companions would notice that while she holstered her pistol, her hand hovered near it's brass fitted grip, nervous, or apprehensive about their current situation.

"We make night soil where we sleep too, Patricia, and it stays in our chambers until morning when we dump it into an alley. Could be the owner of this," a pause, "domicile, meant to dispose of this too? Or perhaps to keep the entity within bound to it, so it could do no further mischief? Or he he could be a sick bastard, and mean to command the demon to inflict terrible harm upon his rivals."

Looking to the collected scholars, the pirate could only shrug her shoulder, "Won't find me touchin' it though, that's inviting disaster aboard one's own ship, yea? Best we find it's owner, then return to the real."

munimortal
2021-05-27, 11:24 PM
Matreous eyes the figurine with new skepticism. He turns it over a few times, then you can see him begin to cast a spell. When nothing happens he replies to the group, "Well, dispel magic seems to have had no effect, but I will take your warning to heart Sir Kynos. When I return to my study I will find an antimagic field to hold it in."

To Patricia, Eleazar, and Besmara, he says, "I was unable to find much information about Fistandia. After I discovered this dormant portal, I did some research and found that she was a wizard of some renown who always used the same study hall that I was assigned. Through Little One I discovered numerous books she had donated to Candlekeep, including that copy of "The Joys of Extradimensional Spaces". I am unsure of this mansion's purpose. Could be research center, illicit good depository, or simply a more comfortable place for Fistandia to study while in Candlekeep."

He pauses and looks around the foyer, and then down each hallway. "I would love to explore it fully, but I already seem out of my depth. Sir Kynos and Besmara show a caution that I seem to be lacking. I would offer a compromise. I will keep this portal open for you, and provide a base of operations from my study hall where you can bring any magic items you find for identification, and to rest up. In exchange I will aid you with this curse problem you have." And then hastily adds looking at Besmara, ""And TWO bottles of brandy, the best I can find."

Pyrophilios
2021-05-28, 10:40 AM
"That sounds like a reasonable suggestion. Take care. After we are done here, we can talk about Fin's Reach and their curse problem."
Kynos turned to the others: "I'll understand if you'd prefer a bit more preparation to explore a mage's magic mansion, but something tells me, the sooner we get this done, the sooner the people of Fin's Reach will receive help."

munimortal
2021-05-30, 10:00 PM
Matreous smiles at all of you, "Capital! Well, enjoy exploring. I am sure you will find many surprises and secrets here. We will be sure to catalogue everything. Who knows what wonders await us in the wonderful place." He motions to put the figurine in his pocket, but then stops, "Perhaps I had better keep an eye on you." He says with a chuckle. Then turns and touches the doorway behind you. No noise is emitted as he disappears from sight, but suddenly, you here a started scream. Before you can react, the doors flicker momentarily and you here the same three knocks of brass on wood.

Pyrophilios
2021-05-31, 02:10 AM
"For the love of Helm, fffffff..." Kynos stopped himself from blaspheming just in time.
"Did the guy who is supposed to keep this portal open just let himself get fragged up and trap us here?"
As suddenly has his fury had come, Kynos let it go and calmed down. "Alright. Nothing we can do about it now. Let's take a look around. Maybe there is some other way out of here."

Archemist
2021-05-31, 03:37 AM
"For the love of Helm, fffffff..." Kynos stopped himself from blaspheming just in time.
"Did the guy who is supposed to keep this portal open just let himself get fragged up and trap us here?"
As suddenly has his fury had come, Kynos let it go and calmed down. "Alright. Nothing we can do about it now. Let's take a look around. Maybe there is some other way out of here."

Patricia stands there with a shocked expression for a few moments, and then sighs. "Nothing's ever simple, is it. But I agree. It'd be awfully poor design to have a home you could get locked in by accident." She pushes on the door, just in case. "Scepter."

munimortal
2021-05-31, 11:08 AM
The doors do not respond to the command word. You feel that the large wooden doors have some give to them, but numerous locking mechanisms are in place on the doors.

Ramsus
2021-05-31, 11:45 AM
Half-Orc Bard

Runa just stares at the door dumbstruck for a few moments. And then a thought comes to her head and says, "Perhaps it has something to do with the little statuette?" Then she shrugs as she realizes right after she finished say it that if that's the case, that information isn't particularly useful to them.

munimortal
2021-06-01, 12:03 AM
If you start looking around, you can see down both ends of the hallway

https://i.ibb.co/VTRPQmB/fistandias-mansion2.jpg

Archemist
2021-06-01, 12:11 AM
"Well, that didn't work. Leftwards, then? Let's stick together, though." Patricia seems wise beyond her years. Her blue scales glint as she begins casting a spell, and soon her robes shine with a faint blue glow as well. She scans her eyes down the passage and says, "Hmm. The door at the very end?" She waits for some consensus, and doesn't immediately begin walking but rather graciously will let someone else take the lead down the hallway.

Pyrophilios
2021-06-01, 06:07 AM
"Let's take a look ouside first." Kynos indicated the large entrance doors. "I mean, I don't think it likely, but logically leaving a place like this could be triggered by opening the front doors. Not that I expect too much logic from paranoid wizards with private sanctums."
Kynos went to the double door and tried to open it.

munimortal
2021-06-01, 03:00 PM
You turn and begin unlocking the three locking mechanisms over the front double doors. As you open the door, an indigo light pours into the foyer coloring everything in the room with blue light. Outside of the doors are three steps, which seem to descend into the miasma that exists beyond the doorway. Nothing can be seen other than the swirling indigo mists.

Ramsus
2021-06-01, 03:56 PM
Half-Orc Bard

Seeing the indigo mist Runa comments, "Well that seems promising." in a half-sarcastic, half-unsure way.

Pyrophilios
2021-06-01, 04:45 PM
"Indeed, that doesn't look like it's a way out. Alright, let's go left and make our way in a circle through the building."
Kynos replied, while closing the doors again.

munimortal
2021-06-02, 11:28 AM
You pass three doorways on your right as you pass down the hallway. The mansion is seems well built and luxurious, paintings of strange creatures and figures line the hallway between the floating oil lamps. You stand before a single door of dark wood, the same indigo light filters from the crack beneath the doorway.

What is the marching order for the party before we enter the room?

Pyrophilios
2021-06-02, 12:15 PM
Kynos sat himself at the front of the column, shield ready, opened the door.

munimortal
2021-06-02, 01:16 PM
The door opens and reveals a semicircular patio paved with gray flagstones, nestled against the building. The patio lit by the swirling indigo miasma that surrounds the mansion. There is only a single loveseat with a soft velvety covering. There is also a second door on your right which leads back into the building.

https://i.ibb.co/3f653Fg/fistandias-mansion3.jpg

Pyrophilios
2021-06-02, 02:29 PM
"I wonder who could find a place like that relaxing. This violet fog doesn't give me a good feeling."
Kynos commented, moving carefully across the terasse towards the next door, ready to open it.

Dimers
2021-06-03, 04:53 PM
"It's a nice color, at least. Not illness-green like a cloudkill spell or some such." Eleazar shrugs. He's been quiet since the 'front' doors shut, seeming to turn over ideas in his head without stating anything aloud. He peers into the fog for a moment before turning his attention to the next door.

munimortal
2021-06-03, 05:38 PM
You open the door to find tall shelves filled with books that line the walls of this room. Two more shelves run through the middle of the room with a ten-foot-wide aisle between them. Several stacks of books are piled high throughout the room. There are small reading desks with cozy scarlet chairs in the corners.

https://i.ibb.co/JdMtt3D/fistandias-mansion4.jpg

Archemist
2021-06-03, 06:21 PM
Several stacks of books are piled high throughout the room. There are small reading desks with cozy scarlet chairs in the corners.

Patricia scans the closer shelf, checking for any interesting titles. She runs her finger along the spines and hums quietly. She will also check and see if any look particularly valuable, of course, though the small room is likely a little crowded already.

Patricia admires the cozy chairs and also runs a hand along the fabric on the back of one. "This Fistandia truly was a Candlekeep scholar at heart: must have really enjoyed reading for hours on end."

Ramsus
2021-06-03, 11:07 PM
Half-Orc Bard

"What's wrong with green?" Runa quietly and sourly comments mostly to herself as she too looks around the study.

Pyrophilios
2021-06-04, 03:31 AM
Kynos frowned once again. A library inside a keep that basically was nothing but a library seemed excessive to him. Still, at least it didn't look like there were any nasty surprises here - unless one of the book happened to be bound in human skin...

"Let's wait with diving into the books until we have explored the mansion in full. We wouldn't want to be surprised while we are concentrated on reading."
He opened the door to the hallway and went for the second door that they had passed.

munimortal
2021-06-04, 07:40 AM
Sir Kynos passes through the room, and is about to open the southern door, when a creaking noise is heard. Patricia, much closer to the bookshelf sees the bookshelf falling towards herself and Lady Runa as books fly off the shelves and take flight.

I need dex saving throws from Patricia and Runa, and initiative from everyone!

Pyrophilios
2021-06-04, 09:15 AM
Ini
[roll0]

Kynos whirled around, looking wildly for the source of the disturbance.

Archemist
2021-06-04, 09:37 AM
Patricia lets out a lizard-like chirp of surprise as she is entirely unprepared for the books to move on their own.

Ramsus
2021-06-04, 12:09 PM
Half-Orc Bard

Runa had been looking right at the shelf at the time and manages to leap back out of the way. ((I assume.))

Dex save: [roll0]
Initiative: [roll1]

Usually it's good to tell us what the DC of the saves are so we can know if we passed/failed and what the consequences are of each without you having to make a second post just for that information.

munimortal
2021-06-05, 11:47 AM
The bookcase falls the the ground pinning Patricia to the floor as Lady Runa nimbly escapes. In the place of the bookshelf is a swarm of flying books which does not look friendly.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MnCx0dCAoQ64dgPEiglkW-MKUdPHX1CRwYlxcWke01s/edit?usp=sharing
everyone should be able to edit it. Thanks Ramsus for that sheet.

Patricia the escape check is Athletics DC 13.

Pyrophilios
2021-06-05, 04:40 PM
I haven't seen Ini for the Book Swarm, but just in case, here is my action for the round
Attack:
[roll0]+5, damage [roll1]+3, if crit [roll2]

Kynos turned around, shield high, drawing his weapon as he moved and hacked at the flying books, trying to draw its attention away from his trapped companion.

munimortal
2021-06-07, 12:38 AM
Before anyone else can react, the books fly towards Sir Kynos, attempting to bash him with their covers. But are blocked by his shield and armor.

[roll0] damage [roll1]

Besmara is Next

Dimers
2021-06-08, 04:45 PM
"Abyss and all the Hells, that didn't sound good," Eleazar mutters as he readies his shield and weapon. He tries to get a look at what's happening through the doorway.

munimortal
2021-06-08, 10:56 PM
Sir Kynos's blade slashes through several of the swarming books, and they fall to the floor.

Patricia is up next, followed by Lady Runa.

Archemist
2021-06-08, 11:23 PM
With a quick shake of her head to overcome the surprise, and a mighty "ooph!", Patricia bench-presses the bookshelf off of herself and flips it back towards the book-swarm. Her dragonborn physique is surprisingly muscular for a supposed book-nerd wizard. She leaps to her feet, ready for whatever the books try next.

(She rolled well on the Athletics check in the OOC thread, but I think there's not much else she can do on her turn.

Ramsus
2021-06-09, 12:43 PM
Half-Orc Bard

Runa, not entirely sure this will work, takes out her lute. She strums a few bars, trying to imbue them with the little bardic magic she knows. In this case she's just trying to use the magic to disorient the books. But she's not so sure if this will work on animate objects. And of course, this is the first time she's used her magic in a dangerous situation.

Casting Vicious Mockery on Book Swarm: DC 14 Wis save or take [roll0] psychic damage and have disadvantage on their next attack roll.

munimortal
2021-06-10, 12:17 AM
The swarm of books hear Lady Runa say, "Are you sure you want to borrow all those books? You don’t want to overdue it." And then the whole party can see a shudder go through all of the swarming books, as a few of the smaller short stories fall out of the air.

It is Eleazar's Turn

Dimers
2021-06-10, 09:19 AM
Once Eleazar gets a view of what's happening, he remembers being told of a similar magical trap in the Vault of the Sages -- but he was never told how to disarm it, of course, that being far above his license in the library. He elects to follow Kynos's example, and moves in to take his mace to the flying tomes. "Hyahh!"

I moved my token on the board, no problem making it far enough to attack in the same round. [roll0] to hit, with a hit dealing [roll1] nonmagical bludgeoning.

munimortal
2021-06-10, 04:35 PM
Eleazar's attack flies through the swarm of books, now at half strength, but does not hit any. The books attempt once again to swat at Sir Kynos...

attack at disadvantage [roll0]/[roll1]
damage [roll2]

But bounce harmlessly off his armor. With Besmara to act.

Pyrophilios
2021-06-13, 05:59 AM
Undeterred by the strange malevolent collection of books, Kynos pressed the advantage and slashed left and right throught he fluttering foliants.

, damage [roll1], if crit [roll1d8

But his enthusiasm proved to be misplaced: Wild swings only increased the chaos of the swarm and didn't manage to score any hits.

Archemist
2021-06-13, 11:14 PM
Patricia sees the books swirl around and she closes one eye, tilting her head. Her side-eye is almost as devastating as her cold magic, and a frost begins forming over a few of the books in the swarm.

It should make a Con save DC 13 or take [roll0] cold damage. Theoretically, if it fails it also has disadvantage on its next weapon attack but I'm not sure if what it does counts as a weapon or not.

munimortal
2021-06-14, 10:53 AM
Frost forms around several of the books as they fall. Lady Runa is next to act.

Ramsus
2021-06-14, 10:57 AM
Half-Orc Bard

Runa keeps playing her lute, hoping to bookend this encounter with a song.

Casting Vicious Mockery on Book Swarm: DC 14 Wis save or take [roll0] psychic damage and have disadvantage on their next attack roll.

munimortal
2021-06-14, 11:04 AM
Wis Saving: [roll0]

Even more books fall from the swarm. About a third of the original books remain flying, and it is Eleazar's Turn.

Just so this is easier to find...

Eleazar, Enemy Turn, Kynos, Patricia, Runa

Dimers
2021-06-14, 03:39 PM
Eleazar takes careful aim for a couple swats at the fleet flying folios, trying to block out any thoughts of librarianly ethics.

Hey, batter batter batter, suh-WING batter! [roll0] to hit, [roll1] damage.

munimortal
2021-06-14, 10:32 PM
With his mighty swing Eleazar slashes through the remaining books sending pages flying through the air. Bits of paper and dust fill the air where the battle took place, but otherwise, silence returns to the room.

Combat over!

Pyrophilios
2021-06-15, 11:02 AM
Kynos looked around, not putting his sword away: "Well, it turns out that there are in fact dangers around. Let's get on with it and knock out whatever is around here separately before they can combine forces."
He turned once more to the door to leave the room and open the next - provided the others followed.

Ramsus
2021-06-15, 11:29 AM
Half-Orc Bard

"After you." Runa says with an accompanying motion of her hand, thinking that this isn't a "ladies first" sort of situation.

Archemist
2021-06-15, 11:50 AM
Patricia brushes herself off, smoothing her skirts. She remains in the room and searches the library for a minute, examining the fallen books and other shelves. She says, “Well, that wasn’t a very friendly welcome. Between Matreous’ imp statue and these flying books, this Fistandia person is either protecting something quite valuable or messing about recklessly with magic. We should be careful and not hasty.”

She is trying to seem calm but is obviously a little rattled from the sudden combat. In the moment, her adrenaline and confidence had let her face down the books, but now that there is a minute to reflect, those are fading.

munimortal
2021-06-15, 02:02 PM
Sir Kynos and Lady Runa head for the door, but Patricia stays behind to peruse the shelves in this library. The shelves contain books on many subjects: arcana, natural science, religion, astrology, and planar travel, as well as volumes of poetry, mythology, and folk tales. One book in particular catches your eye. It appears to be the same book that brought you to this mansion. The tome is made of ornately tooled leather decorated with gold filigree, the cover features an illustration of an imposing looking spellcaster, but unlike the original this one features a large letter "R" on the spine of the book. Other than the numerous books, one item catches your attention. On a small desk in the northeast corner of the room, a large piece of vellum with a map of of the area around Candlekeep, as well as some notes. There is also a small pouch which contains 50gp.

Archemist
2021-06-15, 09:18 PM
One book in particular catches your eye. It appears to be the same book that brought you to this mansion. The tome is made of ornately tooled leather decorated with gold filigree, the cover features an illustration of an imposing looking spellcaster, but unlike the original this one features a large letter "R" on the spine of the book. Other than the numerous books, one item catches your attention. On a small desk in the northeast corner of the room, a large piece of vellum with a map of of the area around Candlekeep, as well as some notes. There is also a small pouch which contains 50gp.

Patricia picks up the "R" book gingerly, as if it might start moving and swarming. When it (presumably) does not attack, she opens it and flips through it, checking for any notes about portals, passwords, locks, etc. She calls Eleazar over and says, "Come look at this book, doesn't it seem like the one from the study? And this map - does it seem accurate to you?" If he studies the map, she also attempts to pocket the pouch of coins.

Sleight of Hand: [roll0]. Also Arcana for checking out the R book: [roll1].

munimortal
2021-06-15, 11:13 PM
When you open the tome, you discover that all the pages are blank.

Eleazar, the map seems accurate to you at first glance, but you can roll investigation, or history to scrutinize it. Also, you totally notice Patricia trying to pocket a pouch of some kind.

Pyrophilios
2021-06-16, 11:57 AM
Kynos looked around: "Come on, we have likely a lot of time ahead of us before we can get out of here again - the books will still be here later."

Archemist
2021-06-16, 07:48 PM
Kynos looked around: "Come on, we have likely a lot of time ahead of us before we can get out of here again - the books will still be here later."

"Coming!" Patricia calls ahead. She moves to join them back in the hallway to try the next door down. "We found a book that may be important - I'm wondering if we need to do something to get its text to appear." She acts nonchalant about the purse thing for the moment.

Dimers
2021-06-17, 10:35 AM
Glancing up from a close study of the map ...

Same roll either way: [roll0]

... at an opportune moment, Eleazar notes his companion putting away a pouch he didn't recall seeing before. "What's in that, Patricia? Hopefully not another questionable statuette?"

Archemist
2021-06-17, 09:07 PM
Glancing up from a close study of the map ...

Same roll either way: [roll0]

... at an opportune moment, Eleazar notes his companion putting away a pouch he didn't recall seeing before. "What's in that, Patricia? Hopefully not another questionable statuette?"

Patricia mimics being offended, replying, "Oh, I wouldn't dream of such a thing. I simply figured since Sir Kynos was calling us that we'd best get a move on and look through all this later, don't you think? The books aren't going anywhere..." and here she pauses, "Well, for now, anyhow. Let's be off." She is already in motion towards the door.

munimortal
2021-06-18, 12:13 PM
The map appears to be both accurate and extremely detailed. It is centered on Candlekeep and shows both the land to the east and sea to the west.

Pyrophilios
2021-06-18, 12:45 PM
Kynos finally opened the door, walked down the corridor to the second door and opened it.

munimortal
2021-06-20, 03:33 PM
Sir Kynos opens the next door down the hallway. This room contains a battered wooden mannequin holding a shield emblazoned with an eye, and a weapon rack holding staffs and daggers, all lit by indigo-tinted light streaming through a window. The floor is stained and scorched. At the far end of the room, a broom hovers in the air, sweeping the floor by itself!

https://i.ibb.co/pfh74bJ/fistandia-5.jpg
Found a better source image!

Pyrophilios
2021-06-20, 03:48 PM
"This looks like a training room - and if the books and that autonomous broom show us anything, I'd say it's that this dummy might come alive and try to force us into a duel."
Kynos commented on the display inside. Despite that, he took a careful step into the room.

Dimers
2021-06-21, 08:35 AM
Eleazar nods slowly. "I think you're right. All the same ..." He cautiously approaches the mannequin, mace and shield readied. "I'd like a closer look at that glyph on the shield."

Ramsus
2021-06-21, 10:55 AM
Half-Orc Bard

From behind Kynos, Runa calls out to the broom, "Hello there. I don't suppose you can talk? Or at least understand us?"

munimortal
2021-06-21, 01:18 PM
There is no change in activity from the broom or the mannequin as you enter the room. The broom continues to sweep around you as you pass into the room.

Pyrophilios
2021-06-21, 02:41 PM
Still wary and ready to dodge, Kynos moved closer to the dummy, touching it lightly with his sword on the head if it doesn't awake