PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a specific monster tree

Learn34
2021-03-22, 09:19 PM
I'm trying to find a particular monstrous tree, but I cannot for the life of me definitively remember anything about it except the image associated with it. I think it's an aberration, but the image was of a gray-barked tree with a distinct face, roots spreading out over the ground, the backdrop was a shadowy forest with (I think) orange background.

Ringing anyone's bell?

Thurbane
2021-03-22, 09:47 PM
I looked at Ironmaw (FF), Orcwort (MM2), Ephemeral Hangman (ToM) and Elder Viper Tree (EttDP), which all sprang to mind, but none really match your description...

Maat Mons
2021-03-22, 09:54 PM
Any chance it was some sort of templated Roper? Or just a Roper reprinted somewhere with a new image?

Urophion and Prismatic Roper are both aberrations. And also types of Roper.

ShurikVch
2021-03-23, 08:29 AM
Well, firstly - check the Dark Tree in Monsters of Faerūn and Shining South
Next - Bonetree in Dragon Compendium
Then - Arborror in Polyhedron #147

Also, there was Treeleg Strangler in Dragon #280, but I don't see any face there

Octopus Tree in Fiend Folio; but, again, - no face

Flesh-Mulcher Tree (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20020419a) - but there no "real" picture at all

Jazath
2021-03-23, 10:30 AM
I'm trying to find a particular monstrous tree, but I cannot for the life of me definitively remember anything about it except the image associated with it. I think it's an aberration, but the image was of a gray-barked tree with a distinct face, roots spreading out over the ground, the backdrop was a shadowy forest with (I think) orange background.

Ringing anyone's bell?

A Death's Head Tree?

Batcathat
2021-03-23, 10:34 AM
It's kinda funny that someone can ask about something as (seemingly) specific as a monster tree and get this many different suggestions. Probably says something about D&D, though I'm not sure whether it's good or bad. :smallbiggrin:

Bronk
2021-03-23, 10:54 AM
It's kinda funny that someone can ask about something as (seemingly) specific as a monster tree and get this many different suggestions. Probably says something about D&D, though I'm not sure whether it's good or bad. :smallbiggrin:

Oh, it's good! Imagine the looks on the players faces when Tim the Shrubber asks them to face off against the forces of 5 evil trees trying to transplant themselves closer together!

Lets see... there's also the Ironthorn, the Purple musk creeper, and the Spirit Tree.

There's a pretty spot on picture of a tree with a face on it in Heroes of Horror, page 56, but it's just an example of dream landscape...

DwarvenWarCorgi
2021-03-23, 11:00 PM
Trees with faces, but plants not aberrations.
Dark Tree, Shining South; Wizened Elder, MM4

Learn34
2021-03-24, 12:34 AM
So of everything you folks have suggested thus far, the Wizened Elder is the closest. Think that, (including the centering of the creature within the image) but with grey bark, the face & eyes formed from the shaping thereof without nose or illuminated eyes, plus the bits in the original post. At this point I'm just gonna brute-force it and check each aberration & plant creature listed in Echohawk's monster index (parsed down to 3.5 and maybe some additional filters). I'll let you know if I find the thing I'm looking for.

ShurikVch
2021-03-24, 01:14 PM
So of everything you folks have suggested thus far, the Wizened Elder is the closest. Think that, (including the centering of the creature within the image) but with grey bark, the face & eyes formed from the shaping thereof without nose or illuminated eyes, plus the bits in the original post. At this point I'm just gonna brute-force it and check each aberration & plant creature listed in Echohawk's monster index (parsed down to 3.5 and maybe some additional filters). I'll let you know if I find the thing I'm looking for.
Sorry - because I already mentioned it - but are you sure it isn't Dark Tree?

http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/images/ssouth_gallery/84368.jpg

Learn34
2021-03-24, 01:34 PM
Guys. Gals. I am so sorry. I found the thing I was looking for:
https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?552564

It's the Boneleaf. Just the picture chosen by Inevitability, rather than the one in Heroes of Horror.

Again: I am so sorry.

Thurbane
2021-03-24, 03:48 PM

It's the Boneleaf. Just the picture chosen by Inevitability, rather than the one in Heroes of Horror.

Don't be sorry - was fun to have a look through the trees, and I'm glad you found your answer. :smallsmile:

Jazath
2021-03-24, 04:24 PM

I agree with the message above me.

Makes me think: A epic Spell to create a forest of dark trees.......

ShurikVch
2021-03-25, 06:15 AM

No offense, but I don't seeing any eyes on this tree
Thus, in that case, try to check pictures of Demonthorn Mandrake (Monster Manual V) and Black Willow (Dungeon #149)

Bronk
2021-03-26, 09:21 AM
No offense, but I don't seeing any eyes on this tree
Thus, in that case, try to check pictures of Demonthorn Mandrake (Monster Manual V) and Black Willow (Dungeon #149)

Heh, if you're just looking for eyes, my favorite trees are those Viper Trees from Grazzt's realm in the Abyss... The trees are vipers, the branches are vipers, the vipers can fall on you, the vipers are venomous, and are also demons, and everything is just super, super flammable for some reason. Fun!