PDA

View Full Version : Who's excited for Assassin's Creed?

Lord_Butters_I
2007-11-09, 10:34 PM
That game looks amazing. I love open worlds, Oblivion was great but Assassin's Creed... just wow. The "marionette" controls are going to be fantastic, I love stealth and assassination games, this is probibly the first time a big-name game has EVER used a crusades-era Palistine as a region for any game, let alone a fully detailed open world. Is anyone else as excited as I am for Assassin's Creed?

The Orange Zergling
2007-11-09, 10:38 PM
Hell yeah, but I'll have to wait for the PC version, since no game (IMO, I know Jibar will disagree) is worth buying a console for... but still, it looks awesome. I think after I'm finished with the main game, I'll replay it and start riots or something. :smallamused:

Lord_Butters_I
2007-11-09, 11:35 PM
If by "no game is worth buying a console for" you mean don't buy a console purely for one game then I agree. I prefer consoles over PCs though, the controls are more natural and the experence is more comfortable.

Gungnir
2007-11-09, 11:38 PM
Very excited, but I'm mad that I forgot about the special edition. I wanted the little Altair figurine. :smallfrown:

Lord_Butters_I
2007-11-09, 11:40 PM
Don't believe EB Gamestop's propaganda, there WILL be coppies of the LE left after launch. A lot of them.

Gungnir
2007-11-09, 11:44 PM
I was told that I wouldn't be able to change my preorder.

Jibar
2007-11-10, 02:09 AM
(IMO, I know Jibar will disagree)

In all fairness, it's not really worth buying any console for a game.
And I had been planning to get a 360 for a while, Assassin's Creed just pushed me over the edge.
Then there was Dead or Alive 4...

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-11-10, 11:41 AM
My frank opinion is this:

"Assassin's Creed? Bah, humbug."

I've never been a fan of action/adventure games and I doubt this game will change much. Then again, I'm one of those socially-maladjusted freaks who actually enjoys single-player RPGs.

Lord Shplane
2007-11-14, 03:37 PM
I prefer consoles over PCs though, the controls are more natural and the experence is more comfortable.

Shplane agrees with this statement.

Also, Assasin's Creed is going to one of the best games ever. Period.

warty goblin
2007-11-14, 05:32 PM
Shplane agrees with this statement.

Also, Assasin's Creed is going to one of the best games ever. Period.

Gamespy disagrees with you.

Personally I have little to no interest in the game, particularly after reading the Gamespy review. I like open worlds, but a fixed mission structure, and the totally stupid ability to climb anything are really turnoffs to me.

Prophaniti
2007-11-14, 05:43 PM
Why is the ability to climb whatever you want bad? It's something that has always bothered me in action/rpg games. There's always some obstacle like a fence or something, that *I* could climb irl but this super atheletic assasin man can't merely because the game makers didn't program it as a climbable object. I think it will be awesome to have a world where you can literaly go ANYWHERE instead of just almost anywhere like most games are...

Lord Shplane
2007-11-14, 05:45 PM
Gamespy disagrees with you.

Personally I have little to no interest in the game, particularly after reading the Gamespy review. I like open worlds, but a fixed mission structure, and the totally stupid ability to climb anything are really turnoffs to me.

Meh, I don't really trust reviewers. I generally disagree completely with them.

I think I was a bit wrong to say "Ever", but overdoing it is fun. :smallsmile:

Also, most people that I've seen disagree with Gamespy on that point, now that I've looked up reviews.

warty goblin
2007-11-14, 08:38 PM
Why is the ability to climb whatever you want bad? It's something that has always bothered me in action/rpg games. There's always some obstacle like a fence or something, that *I* could climb irl but this super atheletic assasin man can't merely because the game makers didn't program it as a climbable object. I think it will be awesome to have a world where you can literaly go ANYWHERE instead of just almost anywhere like most games are...

Maybe I'm a sort of masochistic gamer- but I like limits being placed on what I can do. It forces me to adapt and think creatively. I don't like truly arbitrary limits like say "This knee high white fence cannot be climbed" since they ruin the immersion, but that's a long way away from being able to climb anything just for the hell of it. That just ruins the immersion the other way.

Take Oblivion, I never felt that the limits placed on me there were restrictive and most could be overcome with sufficient creativity. Murdering people for instance actually forced me to plan and adapt, as opposed to simply charging in swinging. Carrying capacity is another, I could get magic items allowing me to carry enough gear to outfit a small army (I actually had a character who carried and used eight different melee weapons with regularity), but doing this cost me other powers. Again, a limit that could be creatively overcome. Climbing anything there whether or not is remotely plausible just strikes me as silly- it doesn't make me think and adapt. I can just do stuff for whatever reason, whether or not it makes sense or is at all possible.

Gungnir
2007-11-14, 09:30 PM
Murdering people for instance actually forced me to plan and adapt, as opposed to simply charging in swinging.

Not as far as my experience goes. Even though my experience only goes to 3rd level, but that just goes to further illustrate my point.

More on topic, I just started playing this morning and the storyline is awesome so far. I love the idea of the Animus. It's a great way to justify having voice actors tell you what button to push in a medieval setting.

2007-11-14, 10:40 PM
I've got the game and played for a few hours.

First, you can't climb anything. You can climb very, very well, but unless theres about three inches of finger space, you'll get nowhere. Also, its not as easy as you'd think, the secret, I've learned, isn't climbing up the walls like a slow Spiderman; its the Freerunning, hopping from one rooftop to the other. Thats the quickest way to lose guards chasing you and find a decent place to hide.

Combat is pretty fun. Not as complicated as some games, but not just random button mashing either. I haven't gotten all the combat skills yet, but I do alright. Usually I just run if there's more than three or four guards.

At first the plot put me off. I won't go into detail because of spoilers, but at first the idea seemed dumb. However, as I continue playing, I get more and more into it. There's two seperate storylines running parallell to one another and I really am interested to see how they'll flow together.

And I can't think of any other game, ever, where the main chatacter was a middle easterner.

Anyway, I haven't read any reviews, but so far this game is pretty good, and I see lots and lots of potential. Once I finish it up I'll come back with more infos.

Lord Shplane
2007-11-14, 10:50 PM
Take Oblivion, I never felt that the limits placed on me there were restrictive and most could be overcome with sufficient creativity. Murdering people for instance actually forced me to plan and adapt, as opposed to simply charging in swinging. Carrying capacity is another, I could get magic items allowing me to carry enough gear to outfit a small army (I actually had a character who carried and used eight different melee weapons with regularity), but doing this cost me other powers.

I've got a level 34 and a level 39 on Oblivion, have been the leader of every Guild at least once (Including the Dark Brotherhood, Knights of the Nine, and Arena), and I never had to think that much about what my guy was doing. Or in fact much at all. It was a pretty straightforward "Kill stuff to get things" kind of game. And there weren't really any limits besides "You can only carry this much stuff".

I love it, but it really doesn't do any of what you just said.

tainsouvra
2007-11-14, 10:53 PM
And I can't think of any other game, ever, where the main chatacter was a middle easterner. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time is still a darn cool game.

Lord Shplane
2007-11-14, 11:02 PM
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time is still a darn cool game.

If you people don't quit giving me things to respond to, it's going to look like I'm just trying to raise my post count. /:

Anyway, I liked Warrior Within better. Even its music was awesome, and I normally hate music on games.

warty goblin
2007-11-15, 12:00 AM
I've got a level 34 and a level 39 on Oblivion, have been the leader of every Guild at least once (Including the Dark Brotherhood, Knights of the Nine, and Arena), and I never had to think that much about what my guy was doing. Or in fact much at all. It was a pretty straightforward "Kill stuff to get things" kind of game. And there weren't really any limits besides "You can only carry this much stuff".

I love it, but it really doesn't do any of what you just said.

Hmm, maybe its just how I played then. Anyways, AC really doesn't press my buttons much. Now Crisis, that baby is playing my song...

BrokenButterfly
2007-11-15, 07:19 AM
I'm waiting for the PC version of the game as well, but I can't say that it's all I've been thinking about...

I hadn't seen that much gameplay footage until I watched a Gamespot video review last night. Now I'm pretty interested, looking forward to the platforming elements more than the combat tbh. A world in which I'm (within reason) able to run about and climb attractive architecture appeals to me a lot.

Plus it's an historical assassination game, and there don't seem to be too many of those on the market right now so it really stands out to me.

Vondre
2007-11-15, 11:53 AM
My friend bought this game yesterday, and we sat around watching him play it. Since I myself haven't played it, I can't say anything about the controls themselves, except that they seem like they would work pretty well. But the game itself...

Oh my GOD.

Everything flows really well. The fighting system is really smooth and stylish. Plenty of different ways to kill your foes or targets, and the climbing system is realistic for a really strong guy. He grabs everything he can to climb, but he can't just grab a flat wall and climb it. I really want a 360 now, even more than I did before. Because AC just pwns.

Gungnir
2007-11-15, 02:18 PM
I've actually had more fun just running around randomly than actually fighting, and somehow I keep finding my objectives anyway.

ufo
2007-11-15, 02:28 PM
Oh god, please don't tease me! Why must it take so long for the PC version :smallfrown: ?

Closet_Skeleton
2007-11-15, 02:38 PM
The hero from this just looks like a Garret rip-off, but I guess you can only stretch "guy in a hood who sneaks about" so far.

Genetic memory however is nonsense crap. If want to do something that could only work with magic you should use magic or not do it at all. Technobabble that means the same thing as magic just puts off anyone who actually knows anything.

Albub
2007-11-15, 02:59 PM
Meh, looks like a rental to me. I find it's lack of multiplayer... Disturbing.

Tekraen
2007-11-15, 03:14 PM
Meh, looks like a rental to me. I find it's lack of multiplayer... Disturbing.

Actually, that's probably how i'll test this game out. I don't look forward to smacking down another $65 on a game I may not like.

Lord Shplane
2007-11-15, 03:31 PM
Well, I know that I'll be buying it for my PS3 as soon as I get some money.

And after I get Folklore. I've been looking forward to that one for a while now.

Archaicwonder
2007-11-15, 03:41 PM
This game is screwing up my Pirates of the Burning Sea pre-order preview box reception in most gaming outlets...so there is some hostility.

However, the game looks cool.

Gungnir
2007-11-15, 04:52 PM
@ Skeleton: I think you're being a bit picky. I think it's a really cool idea, and it's allowed to be scientifically inaccurate, because it's fiction. And really, magic doesn't fit into the story, because Altair's memories are supposed to be based on real historic events. If the Animus bothers you that much, just ignore and have fun with Altair.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-11-15, 05:41 PM
@ Skeleton: I think you're being a bit picky. I think it's a really cool idea, and it's allowed to be scientifically inaccurate, because it's fiction. And really, magic doesn't fit into the story, because Altair's memories are supposed to be based on real historic events. If the Animus bothers you that much, just ignore and have fun with Altair.

I won't be playing this game anyway due to not having any of this generations games consoles. I only have access to an X-Box because my dad hacked Linux onto it so he could use it as a cheap computer. Never been a console gamer.

Magic can easily fit into historic events but if they didn't want to put in magic, they could have just made a historic game with no other elements. They basically have put the supernatural into the story, just put in some nonsensical technobable over it. It just uses a concept that annoys me, it doesn't make it a bad game or a crap story, I just don't like it when people act knowledgable and talk down to me when saying a load of rubbish. I'm not saying that they developers are insulting their audience by handwaving things with pseudo science, but I get annoyed easily and can take things that way. People who actually believe in this stuff are even more annoying.

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-11-15, 06:44 PM
Plus it's an historical assassination game, and there don't seem to be too many of those on the market right now so it really stands out to me.

Historical, hm? Does that mean we can expect an encounter with Saladin, one of my favorite historical figures?

Gungnir
2007-11-15, 07:58 PM
Historical, hm? Does that mean we can expect an encounter with Saladin, one of my favorite historical figures?
Wikipedia tells me that he was born in 1138 so probably not, he won't have been born yet. The reason I needed to check wikipedia is because, I s**t you not, his name provoked the thought "Is he the Paladin of Salad?". It's not good to let these ideas last.

Disregard that. He is indeed in the game. I finally listened to one of the soapbox riders in one of the cities, and he was singing the praises of Salah al-Dim and his resistance to the Crusades.

SpiderKoopa
2007-11-15, 09:55 PM
Hey, I got the game yesterday, and from what I've played I'll tell you guys, it is the awesome.

tetsubo
2007-11-16, 07:43 AM
I have been playing the game for a few days now and have to say that it is very enjoyable. I am not sure why they decided to have it set up with the whole genetic memory thing. I think I would enjoy it more if there was not the brakes in between. However I don't think it distracts too much.

Having not gotten very far it seems to me
One of two things are going to happen.
1. They are striving to get the subject to gain the skills of Altair to be there private assassin
Or
2. They are trying to imprint the personality of Altair on to the subject overriding him and then setting him off to finish his work in whatever century it is now.
Either way leading to the last level being a free roam in the future which might be interesting.

Archonic Energy
2007-11-16, 07:52 AM
the controls are more natural and the experence is more comfortable.

I Disagree.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-11-16, 08:32 AM

Ah, the problem with historical accuracy. Real interesting figures are always spread out across time more than people want them to be. Therefore they ignore it and just throw everyone from 900-1500 into the same setting. Like how Egyptians always build pyramids in games, even when they're fighting ancient greeks and should have stopped building pyramids by now. Age of Empire is the worst for this, Viking Berzerkers and Longships being on the same tech tree level as Samurai and repeating crossbows.

Death Giant
2007-11-16, 08:33 AM
I would'nt mind playing it, when does it come out?

thorgrim29
2007-11-16, 09:34 AM
Yesterday......

Gungnir
2007-11-16, 10:32 AM
Having not gotten very far it seems to me
One of two things are going to happen.
1. They are striving to get the subject to gain the skills of Altair to be there private assassin
Or
2. They are trying to imprint the personality of Altair on to the subject overriding him and then setting him off to finish his work in whatever century it is now.
Either way leading to the last level being a free roam in the future which might be interesting.

No they're actually looking for SOMETHING. The scientist guy rants about how the company has been responsible for every major technological development for the past century, they've just spread the secrets around to keep from drawing unwanted attention. Desmond asks what makes them so special that they can invent such grand things that mere mortals cannot. S.G. says that they didn't invent them, of course. They found them.Also, stealing S.G.'s ID pen was hilariously easy.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-11-16, 10:35 AM
No they're actually looking for SOMETHING. The scientist guy rants about how the company has been responsible for every major technological development for the past century, they've just spread the secrets around to keep from drawing unwanted attention. Desmond asks what makes them so special that they can invent such grand things that mere mortals cannot. S.G. says that they didn't invent them, of course. They found them.Also, stealing S.G.'s ID pen was hilariously easy.

I see...

So using my knowledge of cliches I can reveal the plot to this game

They're hunting around the middle east in order to find the Arc of the Covernant, which is some kind of box full of lost technology that can devastate armies, shatter city walls and cause horrible plagues.

The Templars are also of cause involved. They probably hid the arc somewhere and this assassin guy Altair killed the Templar who knew where it was.

Gungnir
2007-11-16, 10:47 AM
I see...

So using my knowledge of cliches I can reveal the plot to this game

They're hunting around the middle east in order to find the Arc of the Covernant, which is some kind of box full of lost technology that can devastate armies, shatter city walls and cause horrible plagues.

The Templars are also of cause involved. They probably hid the arc somewhere and this assassin guy Altair killed the Templar who knew where it was.

I don't believe so. You find the Arc is in the first section of the game, and they didn't even get excited over seeing it. Oh, and as far as I can tell, the Templars are just hidden in different corners around the game, and you get a reward for killing all 100 of them.

tetsubo
2007-11-16, 10:54 AM

I don't remeber him saying that so I may have not gotten that far yet. Although i figured that I was going to have to steal that pen after reading the email about him losing it all the time and not letting sequrity know. I just know he was going on and on about weeding out the cancer of society and what not.