PDA

View Full Version : Looking for consistant sources of "on hit" damage...

Nefariis
2021-03-23, 04:42 PM
I was looking at some interesting combos with "on-hit" damage and it got me thinking about other sources for consistent on-hit damage (sources that are not per short rest or per day like Battle Master, etc).

Examples would be -

Spells

Divine Favor(1) - +1d4 radiant damage every hit
Hunter's Mark(1) - +1d6 damage every hit
Hex(1) - +1d6 necrotic every hit
Enlarge(2) - +1d4 every hit
Shadow Blade(2)? - 2d8 damage that increases to 3d8 (maybe/kinda counts?)
GFB(Can) - 1-3d8 Fire Damage + second target 1-3d8 + Mod Fire Damage
Booming Blade(Can) - 1-3d8 Thunder Damage
Elemental Weapon(3,5,7) - 1-3d4 selected damage every hit
Holy Weapon(5) - 2d8 radiant every hit
Spirit Shroud(3) - 1-4d8 cold, necrotic, radiant every hit
Crusader's Mantle(3) - 1d4 each ally creature every hit

Class Features

Cleric:Divine Strike(8) - +1d8 radiant on hit once a turn
Paladin:Improved Divine Smite(11) - +1d8 radiant every hit
Warlock: LifeDrinker(12) - +CHA every hit
Warlock: Hexblade's Curse(1) - +Prof Bonus every hit
Barbarian:Rage(1) - +2-4 every hit
Rogue:Sneak(1) - +1-10d6 per turn
Spore:Druid:Symbiotic Entity(2) - +1d6 necrotic every hit
Warlock:Pact Weapon(2,9,15) - +1-3 damage every hit

Race:

Aasimar - +level to damage each turn
Grung - +2d4 poison each attack (Con save)

Fighting Style:

Dueling - +2 damage every hit

Items: (Excluding Legendary)

+X Weapon(varies) - +X every hit
Sun Blade(R) - +1d8 radiant every hit (vs Undead)
Bracers Archery(UC) - +2 every hit
Corpse Slayer(R) - +1d8 every hit (vs Undead)
Dwarven Thrower(VR) - +1d8 thrown or +2d8 vs giants
Sword of Wounding(R) - +1d4 wounding per round (stacks)
Flame Tongue(R) - +2d6 Fire every hit
Frost Brand(VR) - +1d6 Cold every hit
Dragon Tooth Dagger(R) - +1d6 acid (2d6 against Cult of Dragons) every hit
Serpent's Fang(R) - +1d10 Poison every hit
Dyrrn's Tentacle Whip(VR) - +1d4 psychic every hit
Devotee's Censer(R) - +1d8 radiant every hit
Mind Blade(R) - +2d6 psychic every hit
DuskCrusher(VR) - +1d8 radiant every hit (vs Undead)
BloodAxe(VR) - +1d6 necrotic every hit
Mind Lash(R) - +2d4 psychic every hit
Saint Markovia's Thighbone(R) - +2d6 radiant every hit (vs Undead/Fiend)
Mace of Disruption(R) - +2d6 radiant every hit (vs Undead/Fiend)

Feats:

SS - +10 damage every hit
GWM - +10 damage every hit

can you guys think of anything else, I'm sure I'm missing a ton? (I will update the list)

Composer99
2021-03-23, 05:24 PM
Why would you, on the one hand, suggest you aren't interested in intermittent sources of "on hit" damage, and then on the other, list out spells?

Edit to add: Aside from cantrips that add damage to weapon attacks, that is. If you're going to count them, which perhaps you aren't seeing as they aren't on the list.

Nefariis
2021-03-23, 05:42 PM
Why would you, on the one hand, suggest you aren't interested in intermittent sources of "on hit" damage, and then on the other, list out spells?

Edit to add: Aside from cantrips that add damage to weapon attacks, that is. If you're going to count them, which perhaps you aren't seeing as they aren't on the list.

I guess my thought was that once cast, it would be consistent and potentially last a whole combat - ie, you might get 30 shots with Divine Favor or Hex in a single combat vs 4 uses with battle master maneuvers within a short rest period (potentially 2 combats) - so I guess my goal was to have a more concise list.

And you are right, I definitely missed the SCAG cantrips (GFB/BB, not sure if SB fits because of the save chance), adding now...

Emongnome777
2021-03-23, 06:05 PM
Spells:
Magic / Elemental / Holy Weapon

Items:
Any +x weapon adds the x to damage.

Composer99
2021-03-23, 06:12 PM
I guess my thought was that once cast, it would be consistent and potentially last a whole combat - ie, you might get 30 shots with Divine Favor or Hex in a single combat vs 4 uses with battle master maneuvers within a short rest period (potentially 2 combats) - so I guess my goal was to have a more concise list.

And you are right, I definitely missed the SCAG cantrips (GFB/BB, not sure if SB fits because of the save chance), adding now...

Okay, yeah, I see that. Fair enough.

Nefariis
2021-03-23, 06:16 PM
Spells:
Magic / Elemental / Holy Weapon

Items:
Any +x weapon adds the x to damage.

added to the list

Wraith
2021-03-23, 06:41 PM
Race: Aasimar (All 3 variants get an ability at level 3 that lets them 'turn on' either Necrotic or Radiant damage on a hit - lasts 10 minutes)

Race: Grung (On each attack they can inflict 2d4 Poison damage, DC12 for half damage)

Class: Circle of Spores Druid (Symbiotic Entity makes your weapon deal 1d6 Necrotic damage while active - lasts 1 minute)

Class: Celestial Warlock's Radiant Soul (level 6 - add +CHA to Radiant or Fire damage)

Warlock Eldritch Invocation: Agonizing Blast (add +CHA to your Eldritch Blast damage)

Warlock Eldritch Invocation: Improved Pact Weapon (Hexblade's Pacted weapon gains +1 to hit and damage)

Warlock Eldritch Invocation: Superior pact Weapon (Pacted weapon becomes +2)

Warlock Eldritch Invocation: Ultimate Pact Weapon (Pacted weapon becomes +3)

Would you also count the Invocation Cloak of Flies? Creatures within 5ft take +CHA in Poison damage at the start of their turn, lasts until dismissed - it's not 'on a hit', it just happens every round so it's similarly consistent.

Evaar
2021-03-23, 06:45 PM
Rogue:Sneak(1) - +1-10d6 per round

Quick correction - it's per turn, not per round.

So if you get an attack outside of your turn, it can apply again.

Otherwise you listed the main ones I was abusing on my Hexblade - Lifedrinker, Elemental Weapon, and Hexblade Curse.

Nefariis
2021-03-23, 07:06 PM
Would you also count the Invocation Cloak of Flies? Creatures within 5ft take +CHA in Poison damage at the start of their turn, lasts until dismissed - it's not 'on a hit', it just happens every round so it's similarly consistent.

looking for "on-hit" - essentially looking for things that give multi-attacks a big ol' boost

Evaar
2021-03-23, 07:30 PM
looking for "on-hit" - essentially looking for things that give multi-attacks a big ol' boost

I decided not to say it above because it felt too pedantic, but if this is the goal then Sneak Attack doesn't really count because it's only once per turn.

Nefariis
2021-03-23, 08:00 PM
I decided not to say it above because it felt too pedantic, but if this is the goal then Sneak Attack doesn't really count because it's only once per turn.

Actually that's a great point and not pedantic at all - I feel if we get rid of it, then we should also get rid of the SCAG cantrips for the same reason.

*Edit*

Actually, I think i want to keep these in here because there are a few like the Clerics that can only be processed once per round, but having numerous attacks increases the chances of it processing - though I still guess that doesn't help the SCAG cantrips.

kazaryu
2021-03-23, 08:55 PM
I was looking at some interesting combos with "on-hit" damage and it got me thinking about other sources for consistent on-hit damage (sources that are not per short rest or per day like Battle Master, etc).

Examples would be -

Spells

Divine Favor(1) - +1d4 radiant damage every hit
Hunter's Mark(1) - +1d6 damage every hit
Hex(1) - +1d6 necrotic every hit
Enlarge(2) - +1d4 every hit
Shadow Blade(2)? - 2d8 damage that increases to 3d8 (maybe/kinda counts?)
GFB(Can) - 1-3d8 Fire Damage + second target 1-3d8 + Mod Fire Damage
Booming Blade(Can) - 1-3d8 Thunder Damage
Elemental Weapon(3,5,7) - 1-3d4 selected damage every hit
Holy Weapon(5) - 2d8 radiant every hit

Class Features

Cleric:Divine Strike(8) - +1d8 radiant on hit once a turn
Paladin:Improved Divine Smite(11) - +1d8 radiant every hit
Warlock: LifeDrinker(12) - +CHA every hit
Warlock: Hexblade's Curse(1) - +Prof Bonus every hit
Barbarian:Rage(1) - +2-4 every hit
Rogue:Sneak(1) - +1-10d6 per turn
Spore:Druid:Symbiotic Entity(2) - +1d6 necrotic every hit
Warlock:Pact Weapon(2,9,15) - +1-3 damage every hit

Race:

Aasimar - +level to damage each turn
Grung - +2d4 poison each attack (Con save)

Fighting Style:

Dueling - +2 damage every hit

Items: (Excluding Legendary)

+X Weapon(varies) - +X every hit
Sun Blade(R) - +1d8 radiant every hit (vs Undead)
Bracers Archery(UC) - +2 every hit
Corpse Slayer(R) - +1d8 every hit (vs Undead)
Dwarven Thrower(VR) - +1d8 thrown or +2d8 vs giants
Sword of Wounding(R) - +1d4 wounding per round (stacks)
Flame Tongue(R) - +2d6 Fire every hit
Frost Brand(VR) - +1d6 Cold every hit
Dragon Tooth Dagger(R) - +1d6 acid (2d6 against Cult of Dragons) every hit
Serpent's Fang(R) - +1d10 Poison every hit
Dyrrn's Tentacle Whip(VR) - +1d4 psychic every hit
Devotee's Censer(R) - +1d8 radiant every hit
Mind Blade(R) - +2d6 psychic every hit
DuskCrusher(VR) - +1d8 radiant every hit (vs Undead)
BloodAxe(VR) - +1d6 necrotic every hit
Mind Lash(R) - +2d4 psychic every hit
Saint Markovia's Thighbone(R) - +2d6 radiant every hit (vs Undead/Fiend)
Mace of Disruption(R) - +2d6 radiant every hit (vs Undead/Fiend)

Feats:

SS - +10 damage every hit
GWM - +10 damage every hit

can you guys think of anything else, I'm sure I'm missing a ton? (I will update the list)
Swords bards can eventually flourish at-will. Im not sure off the top of my head if any of those flourishes do onhit damage. But its possible

Wraith
2021-03-24, 05:53 AM

Fair enough. I thought of it because it comes online just before the Spore Druid's Symbiotic Entity so it's always there at the same time, but no worries. :smallsmile:

So, what are we looking at so far? Grung Warlock (12) / Fighter (2) / Spore Druid (2) / Rogue (3) dual-wielding Flame Tongues, concentrating on Hex and casting Booming Blade while Sneak Attacking every turn?

2d4 Poison + 2d6 Necrotic + 2d6 Fire + 3d8 Thunder + 2d6 + CHA + 2 for a range of +11-75 damage with your first attack, and +9-51 for your off-hand?. Not too shabby :smalltongue:

da newt
2021-03-24, 08:08 AM
Spell Spirit Shroud (3) +1d8 dam and can't regen hp for 1 round (and -10' movement aura) upcastable.

All Smites

Contrast
2021-03-24, 08:28 AM
If we're including spells there's also Crusaders Mantle - +1d4 radiant for all attacks of all friendlies in 30ft for a minute.

Edit - I guess Magic Weapon also technically counts. +1 damage is still +1 damage.

In terms of weapons there's also the Staff of Thunder and Lightning (forgot you said not limited to X/SR or X/LR) and the Spear of Backbiting does bonus damage when thrown. At this point I'm wondering how useful this list is going to be though exactly as there's so many different things all only useful under certain circumstances.

Nefariis
2021-03-24, 10:14 AM
Fair enough. I thought of it because it comes online just before the Spore Druid's Symbiotic Entity so it's always there at the same time, but no worries. :smallsmile:

So, what are we looking at so far? Grung Warlock (12) / Fighter (2) / Spore Druid (2) / Rogue (3) dual-wielding Flame Tongues, concentrating on Hex and casting Booming Blade while Sneak Attacking every turn?

2d4 Poison + 2d6 Necrotic + 2d6 Fire + 3d8 Thunder + 2d6 + CHA + 2 for a range of +11-75 damage with your first attack, and +9-51 for your off-hand?. Not too shabby :smalltongue:

haha now you are getting it :smalltongue:

Well what's also kind of fun is that most of this damage doubles on crit (which is how my table got on this thought experiment) - but then I started thinking about all the sources that might significantly increase the damage on 3-4 attacks.