PDA

View Full Version : Weird attack cycles

Learn34
2021-03-24, 11:29 AM
Does any one know of effects which give you additional attacks at some BAB below your highest, e.g. getting an "extra attack in a round at [PC's] second-highest base attack bonus", without just duplicating the entire attack cycle (e.g. Arrow Demon's symmetric archery)?

I'm not looking to get such on a character, mind you. Just trying to foresee possible complications of collapsing arbitrary attack cycles into as few rolls as possible (e.g. a Whirling Frenzy, Hasted, Rapid Shot, BAB+16 cycle of 7 attacks into 1 d20 roll). I figure anything which duplicates the attack cycle I can just have as an additional roll or rolls (e.g. Symmetrical Archery, TWF/MWF, Splitting enhancement, etc.)

Kayblis
2021-03-24, 11:50 AM
Usually, Natural Weapons can be used at a -5 penalty, so they're pretty offset from your main BAB attack. Not to mention it usually doesn't include weapon enchants, or has a separate enchantment level.

But other than that, I believe all extra attack sources give either a natural attack or an extra attack at highest BAB, usually with an all-encompassing penalty to hit. TWF is the most different thing, because it requires other feats to get extra attacks(which unaligns your math at some levels) and doesn't get a 4th, but if TWF counts as a duplication, any other like that would too.

gijoemike
2021-03-24, 01:20 PM
Do not collapse it to one roll. It rewards crit fishers like you cannot believe. Which I guess is the #1 thing you are trying to avoid. One roll in the 15+ (1/4 of the time) range with a keen weapon and suddenly you crit 4 to 6 times in one round?? The spike damage is INSANE and game breaking.

Kelb_Panthera
2021-03-25, 01:01 PM
Do not collapse it to one roll. It rewards crit fishers like you cannot believe. Which I guess is the #1 thing you are trying to avoid. One roll in the 15+ (1/4 of the time) range with a keen weapon and suddenly you crit 4 to 6 times in one round?? The spike damage is INSANE and game breaking.

Depends on how it's handled. If the collapse is a buff to both accuracy and simply multiplies the damage by some figure based on the number of attacks folded in, that could get out of hand pretty fast. If either of those isn't the case, say the accuracy buff is particularly small or the extra damage is only a few d6s or a few instances of the weapon damage without the extra from strength or +damage enhancements, it could fall all the way down to an outright nerf.

I think I remember something like that for archers somewhere. You sacrifice latter attacks in the routine for it to count as multiple hits on a single attack roll but there was no accuracy buff or a small one. Somebody help me out here?

Learn34
2021-03-25, 03:14 PM
It multiplies the damage based on the difference between the target's AC and the attack roll result. Using the penalties of Xd20 drop lowest & the regular BaB penalties, I've developed the table below for a subset of attack cycles. This is being developed for a player who wants the feel of a modern spec-ops sniper (or at least his vision of it) and the 1-shot, 1-kill fantasy is very much a part of that.

Attack Cycle
CustomClass HD
Exceed AC by
Dmg Mult

1 Attk @ Max BaB
6-10
x2

-
11-15
x3

-
16+