PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Multiclassing Bladesinger

Pallock44
2021-03-24, 02:53 PM
I am making a bladesinger that only uses spells that enhance their physical attacks. Booming Blade, GFB, Inflict Wounds, Shadow Blade. Anything that can be flavored as a type of melee attack would be useful. I was going to go Battle Master/Bladesinger but I can't find much info on that multiclass leading me to think it could be a bad idea. We are using Standard Point Array and I went with Custom Lineage and took Shadow Touched as it fit well with my character's backstory as well as gives me Inflict Wounds. I set my stats at STR 16 DEX 12 CON 13 INT 16 WIS 10 CHA 8 but I still have time to change things. This is currently my 4th campaign and my first time building a Fighter or a Wizard. Thanks.

RogueJK
2021-03-24, 03:09 PM
Bladesingers will benefit much more from a high DEX than a high STR. You can't use two-handed weapons, shields, or medium/heavy armor with Bladesong anyway, so there's little incentive to have a high STR. Instead, stick to a one-handed Rapier and use DEX for your attack and damage, while wearing Light Armor boosted by your high DEX and your INT bonus from Bladesong.

You can still do a DEX-based Bladesinger/Battlemaster, if you decide to go that route. Just be cautious about which Maneuvers you select. Some of them specifically require you to take the Attack action, and using something like Booming Blade is not the Attack action, rather it's the Cast A Spell action. Similarly, some of them require a weapon attack, and using something like Inflict Wounds is not a weapon attack. Good Maneuver choices for a Bladesinger/Battlemaster would be stuff like Riposte (use your Reaction for Shield if they hit you, or for Riposte if they miss) or Pushing Attack (pairs nicely with Booming Blade).

Or a DEX-based Bladesinger also multiclasses well with Rogues, such as the Arcane Trickster.

Citadel97501
2021-03-24, 03:13 PM
I am a major fan of using Bladesinger + Artificer (Battlesmith or Artillerist).

Artillerists basically turn into Buck Rogers using a ray gun in 2 hands one firing cantrips while the other blasts them back. Add in Haste for fun :)
Battlesmith is usually better for more of a melee build.

Eldariel
2021-03-24, 03:35 PM
The thing with Bladesinger is that it's pretty self-contained; it doesn't really need anything. It's also a Wizard, and Wizards have the best high level scaling in the game so the faster you get there the better. Both discourage multiclassing. But. If you want to multiclass as a Bladesinger, the most obvious thing is to get armor and shield proficiencies. The Extra Attack works just as well regardless of armor so while this gives up Bladesong, that isn't such a big deal. The obvious ways are Artificer, Cleric, Hexblade & even Fighter (Fighter 2 is good eventually but generally weaker than Wizard scaling). Other than that, there isn't much to say; anything that's fine on a Wizard is fine on a Bladesinger but Bladesinger is generally all about not needing any of that.

Pallock44
2021-03-24, 04:08 PM
The thing with Bladesinger is that it's pretty self-contained; it doesn't really need anything. It's also a Wizard, and Wizards have the best high level scaling in the game so the faster you get there the better. Both discourage multiclassing. But. If you want to multiclass as a Bladesinger, the most obvious thing is to get armor and shield proficiencies. The Extra Attack works just as well regardless of armor so while this gives up Bladesong, that isn't such a big deal. The obvious ways are Artificer, Cleric, Hexblade & even Fighter (Fighter 2 is good eventually but generally weaker than Wizard scaling). Other than that, there isn't much to say; anything that's fine on a Wizard is fine on a Bladesinger but Bladesinger is generally all about not needing any of that.

What about Monk for unarmored defense? The reason I’m focusing on physical attacks is because I am flavoring the weapons as just unarmed strikes. I already cleared with the DM. I would add melee spells and cantrips to flavor the punches even more. I guess my only real worry is that low AC without the blade song. But also think monk flavors well with the style of character im going for. Unarmed attacker enhanced by spells and cantrips.

Pallock44
2021-03-24, 04:10 PM
I am a major fan of using Bladesinger + Artificer (Battlesmith or Artillerist).

Artillerists basically turn into Buck Rogers using a ray gun in 2 hands one firing cantrips while the other blasts them back. Add in Haste for fun :)
Battlesmith is usually better for more of a melee build.

My character design is one that uses unarmed strikes which is really just two weapon fighting with a rapier and short sword. I already cleared it with the dm. So the focus is enhancing my attacks with spells and cantrips. I’d use little to no ranged attacks.

Pallock44
2021-03-24, 04:12 PM
Bladesingers will benefit much more from a high DEX than a high STR. You can't use two-handed weapons, shields, or medium/heavy armor with Bladesong anyway, so there's little incentive to have a high STR. Instead, stick to a one-handed Rapier and use DEX for your attack and damage, while wearing Light Armor boosted by your high DEX and your INT bonus from Bladesong.

You can still do a DEX-based Bladesinger/Battlemaster, if you decide to go that route. Just be cautious about which Maneuvers you select. Some of them specifically require you to take the Attack action, and using something like Booming Blade is not the Attack action, rather it's the Cast A Spell action. Similarly, some of them require a weapon attack, and using something like Inflict Wounds is not a weapon attack. Good Maneuver choices for a Bladesinger/Battlemaster would be stuff like Riposte (use your Reaction for Shield if they hit you, or for Riposte if they miss) or Pushing Attack (pairs nicely with Booming Blade).

Or a DEX-based Bladesinger also multiclasses well with Rogues, such as the Arcane Trickster.

Instead of dex based fighter what if I went monk astral self? It flavors well with my design. Which is just two weapon fighting with a rapier and short sword flavored as unarmed strikes. I just wanted to use spells and cantrips to enhance those strikes. I wouldn’t use much spells outside of melee spells. Unless it was a specific situation.

Kylar0990
2021-03-24, 04:17 PM
What about Monk for unarmored defense? The reason I’m focusing on physical attacks is because I am flavoring the weapons as just unarmed strikes. I already cleared with the DM. I would add melee spells and cantrips to flavor the punches even more. I guess my only real worry is that low AC without the blade song. But also think monk flavors well with the style of character im going for. Unarmed attacker enhanced by spells and cantrips.

Unarmored defense wouldn't stack with what you already get with bladesinging. With studded leather armor it's rather easy to have over 20 AC really early on with a bladesinger even before you cast Shield.

Citadel97501
2021-03-24, 04:21 PM
My character design is one that uses unarmed strikes which is really just two weapon fighting with a rapier and short sword. I already cleared it with the dm. So the focus is enhancing my attacks with spells and cantrips. I’d use little to no ranged attacks.

Ah so Ki strikes as green flame blade and booming blade :) I like it. Here are the options I can see...

Bladesinger 20
Bladesinger 7+ & Battle-smith 3

The first option is still great, but the 2nd option allows you to simply focus entirely on Intelligence, although the pet is wasted you get a number other great options in the form of free magic items, and more magical support.

Note:
-Throwing Stones as magical shuriken for a backup weapon?

(Sorry I am an artificer fan boy...)

Citadel97501
2021-03-24, 04:24 PM
Unarmored defense wouldn't stack with what you already get with bladesinging. With studded leather armor it's rather easy to have over 20 AC really early on with a bladesinger even before you cast Shield.

Unarmed Defense does stack with Bladesong's armor class buff as long as your not wearing armor. Bladesong is a straight buff but doesn't change the formula.

Pallock44
2021-03-24, 04:24 PM

Why would I not be able to stack those? I looked around and it seemed like they would work fine together but rules may have changed.

CTurbo
2021-03-24, 04:26 PM
Monk/Bladesinger can be a a great combo provided that you have the stats for it. Bladesong combines well with what the Monk likes to do.

I agree with dumping Str and focusing on Dex instead. Several classes multiclass with Bladesinger really well with Fighter and Rogue being the obvious 2, but Ranger and Monk can work well too. Just keep in mind that multiclassing a Bladesinger for melee power is going to have a pretty hefty cost in spell slots and overall magic capability.

Pallock44
2021-03-24, 04:32 PM
Ah so Ki strikes as green flame blade and booming blade :) I like it. Here are the options I can see...

Bladesinger 20
Bladesinger 7+ & Battle-smith 3

The first option is still great, but the 2nd option allows you to simply focus entirely on Intelligence, although the pet is wasted you get a number other great options in the form of free magic items, and more magical support.

Note:
-Throwing Stones as magical shuriken for a backup weapon?

(Sorry I am an artificer fan boy...)

Magic stone sounds like a great idea for backup ranged attack. It would make sense to have something and that’s perfect.

I guess I felt like full wizard didn’t focus enough on melee attacks but I’m new and maybe don’t fully understand the versatility of a wizard. I figured fighter or monk made sense because I wanted a small focus on my melee combat/unarmed strikes. I have this thing for multiclassing because I feel like it helps make my character more of an individual and makes their class more unique. If I could, while still being viable, I’d like to get at least 3 levels of monk or dex fighter. Is that doable or is straight bladesinger so much better it’s not even worth the dip?

I could change the story a bit to add a reason why he is so much weaker outside of bladesong.

Pallock44
2021-03-24, 04:35 PM
Monk/Bladesinger can be a a great combo provided that you have the stats for it. Bladesong combines well with what the Monk likes to do.

I agree with dumping Str and focusing on Dex instead. Several classes multiclass with Bladesinger really well with Fighter and Rogue being the obvious 2, but Ranger and Monk can work well too. Just keep in mind that multiclassing a Bladesinger for melee power is going to have a pretty hefty cost in spell slots and overall magic capability.

What would be something notable that I’m giving up? I figured I could upcast inflict wounds to do big damage if I need it. I took shadow touched as a feat for my custom lineage.

Pallock44
2021-03-24, 05:32 PM
I should also mention we are doing Tomb of Annihilation. Didn’t think it mattered but after some more reading this seems like it might be a tough campaign

Kylar0990
2021-03-24, 09:24 PM
Why would I not be able to stack those? I looked around and it seemed like they would work fine together but rules may have changed.

Because you only calculate you AC one way so you would get one or the other not both. Unarmored Defense wouldn't work with mage armor. As it is you get more from boosting your Dex and Int.

Even if they did stack can you afford to boost your Wis up to 18 when you have already have 3 stats that are more important for a Bladesinger Dex > Int > Con > everything else? (A 16 Wis would get you the same as Mage Armor or +1 Studded Leather so until you get to 18 you aren't gaining anything)

bid
2021-03-24, 09:30 PM
Unarmored defense wouldn't stack with what you already get with bladesinging.

Because you only calculate you AC one way so you would get one or the other not both. Unarmored Defense wouldn't work with mage armor.
Unarmored defense does stack with Bladesong. Mage armor has nothing to do with this.

Kylar0990
2021-03-24, 09:39 PM
Unarmored defense does stack with Bladesong. Mage armor has nothing to do with this.

Even if that works, it doesn't change that you would need at least an 18 Wis to make it worth while and you have 3 stats that are more important than Wis for a Bladesinger.

Salmon343
2021-03-24, 11:31 PM
Ooh, do I have the build for you. Going to echo what others have said, Monk/Bladesinger is a great choice. It meshes well with your focus on unarmed attacks, and thanks to the Bladesinger's Extra Attack, you can still use melee cantrips while punching like a monk.

For spells that enhance your melee capabilities I'd highly recommend Haste and Spirit Shroud. You'll also want protective spells to help you keep alive, such as:
- Shield
- Absorb Elements
- Blur
- Greater Invisibility (also a stellar offensive one)

If you're not taking blasting spells, then you can take a quite meaty split in your Monk and Wizard levels. (You don't have to worry about getting Fireball when it no long pulls its weight, for example.) My Monk/Bladesinger that I've been itching to play has a 6 level split in Kensei monk, for example. I would actually recommend having a similar split, as it means that your unarmed strikes are treated as magical and you have a decent pool of monk points to use. You'll have a d6 damage die for your unarmed strikes, which is better than the initial d4 and isn't too bad as your blade cantrip damage should be making up for it.

Stats is a tricky one. As a Bladesinger wizard your int is very important - even if you don't care about spell saves, it adds to your AC and concentration saves when under bladesong. You'll need dex (highly recommended over str) for attacks, and wis is important for monks. That's without considering con! I'd recommend keeping wis at 13 - or rounding to 14 with a feat if you like - and using mage armor for your defense, and not focusing on stunning strike. (Honestly, keeping Ki for Flurry of Blows and mobility (Dodge, Disengage...) is great enough.) You're still not wearing armour with mage armor, so you won't lose access to a ton of monk features. So I'd recommend you shift your stats to:
INT 16/DEX 16/WIS 13/CON 12/STR 10/CHA 8.
Mobile is a good feat to pick up as a monk too, but be careful - as you'll want War Caster or Resilient Con to help with concentration saves. With Shadow Touched too, that's a lot of feats!

Subclass is even trickier! I don't know monks intimately, so take my advice with a grain of salt. I'll go through a few that caught my eye. I'm assuming that you're going up to level 6 here.

- The reason I went for Kensei is that Agile Parry gives a passive buff of +2 AC, seeing as the character would usually be attacking. It would only work with reflavouring for you, as it requires you to attack with your kensei weapon. Plus, the ranged benefits are largely lost if you're usually attacking in melee. Deft Strike is nice however, as it triggers Ki-Fueled attack.

- Way of Mercy looks very cool for a hand to hand oriented fighter, giving you the ability to deal necrotic damage through your strikes, heal allies and poison your enemies! Hand of Harm is very similar to Deft Strike, and you get it earlier too... The abilities do rely on your wis, but not to save, only for bonuses to damage/healing, so the low wis won't hurt.

- You mentioned Astral Self, which I don't think is a good option. While it has some cool effects, the main benefits of Astral Self imo are that you can attack with your arms with wisdom, which lets you focus on that as a monk. As a Monk/Bladesinger is quite MAD, focusing on wis isn't a great option. You need ki to summon your arms, so it would limit your ability to fight effectively. Such a build would work as a monk primary, focusing on wis instead of int, with serviceable int and dex. Especially as Astral Self is a massively addictive subclass - once you have your arms, why wouldn't you want to stay for the full body set and the anime craziness?

- Way of Shadow. I don't fully understand this subclass, but thought I'd give it a look-in given the fact that you took Shadow Touched. It's focused around silence, darkness, and teleporting. The main problem to me is that you can't see through your own Darkness (spell) with Darkvision...but that just makes it a build that shines in the natural dark. If you can spare a level of Fighter or (more expensively) a feat, grabbing the Blind Fighting fighting style would make the experience a whole lot more awesome.

If you go for a much smaller dip, then I would recommend reflavouring kensei - the passive AC buff looks a lot better when you only have 3 ki points per short rest. Alternatively, Battle Master / Bladesinger really isn't a bad gig, as you initially planned on doing. Your maneuvers allow you to control the flow of battle, you get short rest healing, action surge, and a fighting style. While it seems more boring than a monk multiclass IMO, its probably better for a 3 level dip. I'd recommend switching to dexterity, so that you can wear light armour so still be able to take advantage of bladesong.
____
EDIT

Forgot to talk about how to level. My research tells me that ToA starts at level 1. I don't know if you know what level it ends at - if you do, let that shape what kind of build you decide to go for. There's no point going for a hefty multiclass if you never end up playing the fun bits.

The problem with the monk multiclass is that you want Bladesinger Extra Attack, and monk features, which makes you at least level 7-9. I recommend approaching this in a staggered way, so that you get monk features before Extra Attack, as this playstyle will likely define the character more. In this case I'd stan either Battlemaster or Way of Mercy monk, as Battlemaster doesn't rely on the attack action, and Way of Mercy lets you take advantage of Ki Fueled Attack for a bonus action attack.

For a 3 level multiclass:
L1-2: Wizard Bladesinger
L3-5: Monk Mercy, Battlemaster
L6+: Wizard Bladesinger

Pallock44
2021-03-25, 05:09 PM
Ooh, do I have the build for you. Going to echo what others have said, Monk/Bladesinger is a great choice. It meshes well with your focus on unarmed attacks, and thanks to the Bladesinger's Extra Attack, you can still use melee cantrips while punching like a monk.

For spells that enhance your melee capabilities I'd highly recommend Haste and Spirit Shroud. You'll also want protective spells to help you keep alive, such as:
- Shield
- Absorb Elements
- Blur
- Greater Invisibility (also a stellar offensive one)

If you're not taking blasting spells, then you can take a quite meaty split in your Monk and Wizard levels. (You don't have to worry about getting Fireball when it no long pulls its weight, for example.) My Monk/Bladesinger that I've been itching to play has a 6 level split in Kensei monk, for example. I would actually recommend having a similar split, as it means that your unarmed strikes are treated as magical and you have a decent pool of monk points to use. You'll have a d6 damage die for your unarmed strikes, which is better than the initial d4 and isn't too bad as your blade cantrip damage should be making up for it.

Stats is a tricky one. As a Bladesinger wizard your int is very important - even if you don't care about spell saves, it adds to your AC and concentration saves when under bladesong. You'll need dex (highly recommended over str) for attacks, and wis is important for monks. That's without considering con! I'd recommend keeping wis at 13 - or rounding to 14 with a feat if you like - and using mage armor for your defense, and not focusing on stunning strike. (Honestly, keeping Ki for Flurry of Blows and mobility (Dodge, Disengage...) is great enough.) You're still not wearing armour with mage armor, so you won't lose access to a ton of monk features. So I'd recommend you shift your stats to:
INT 16/DEX 16/WIS 13/CON 12/STR 10/CHA 8.
Mobile is a good feat to pick up as a monk too, but be careful - as you'll want War Caster or Resilient Con to help with concentration saves. With Shadow Touched too, that's a lot of feats!

Subclass is even trickier! I don't know monks intimately, so take my advice with a grain of salt. I'll go through a few that caught my eye. I'm assuming that you're going up to level 6 here.

- The reason I went for Kensei is that Agile Parry gives a passive buff of +2 AC, seeing as the character would usually be attacking. It would only work with reflavouring for you, as it requires you to attack with your kensei weapon. Plus, the ranged benefits are largely lost if you're usually attacking in melee. Deft Strike is nice however, as it triggers Ki-Fueled attack.

- Way of Mercy looks very cool for a hand to hand oriented fighter, giving you the ability to deal necrotic damage through your strikes, heal allies and poison your enemies! Hand of Harm is very similar to Deft Strike, and you get it earlier too... The abilities do rely on your wis, but not to save, only for bonuses to damage/healing, so the low wis won't hurt.

- You mentioned Astral Self, which I don't think is a good option. While it has some cool effects, the main benefits of Astral Self imo are that you can attack with your arms with wisdom, which lets you focus on that as a monk. As a Monk/Bladesinger is quite MAD, focusing on wis isn't a great option. You need ki to summon your arms, so it would limit your ability to fight effectively. Such a build would work as a monk primary, focusing on wis instead of int, with serviceable int and dex. Especially as Astral Self is a massively addictive subclass - once you have your arms, why wouldn't you want to stay for the full body set and the anime craziness?

- Way of Shadow. I don't fully understand this subclass, but thought I'd give it a look-in given the fact that you took Shadow Touched. It's focused around silence, darkness, and teleporting. The main problem to me is that you can't see through your own Darkness (spell) with Darkvision...but that just makes it a build that shines in the natural dark. If you can spare a level of Fighter or (more expensively) a feat, grabbing the Blind Fighting fighting style would make the experience a whole lot more awesome.

If you go for a much smaller dip, then I would recommend reflavouring kensei - the passive AC buff looks a lot better when you only have 3 ki points per short rest. Alternatively, Battle Master / Bladesinger really isn't a bad gig, as you initially planned on doing. Your maneuvers allow you to control the flow of battle, you get short rest healing, action surge, and a fighting style. While it seems more boring than a monk multiclass IMO, its probably better for a 3 level dip. I'd recommend switching to dexterity, so that you can wear light armour so still be able to take advantage of bladesong.
____
EDIT

Forgot to talk about how to level. My research tells me that ToA starts at level 1. I don't know if you know what level it ends at - if you do, let that shape what kind of build you decide to go for. There's no point going for a hefty multiclass if you never end up playing the fun bits.

The problem with the monk multiclass is that you want Bladesinger Extra Attack, and monk features, which makes you at least level 7-9. I recommend approaching this in a staggered way, so that you get monk features before Extra Attack, as this playstyle will likely define the character more. In this case I'd stan either Battlemaster or Way of Mercy monk, as Battlemaster doesn't rely on the attack action, and Way of Mercy lets you take advantage of Ki Fueled Attack for a bonus action attack.

For a 3 level multiclass:
L1-2: Wizard Bladesinger
L3-5: Monk Mercy, Battlemaster
L6+: Wizard Bladesinger

Wow that is extremely thorough thank you. I created the character and started with Monk. Is that detrimental to the build? I have time to switch if I want. I will probably go with the build you laid out for me.

Salmon343
2021-03-25, 07:23 PM
Wow that is extremely thorough thank you. I created the character and started with Monk. Is that detrimental to the build? I have time to switch if I want. I will probably go with the build you laid out for me.

No worries, I'm glad that I could help! I don't think its detrimental to the build. On one hand Wizards have a slightly better save (I'd rate Wis over Dex, and Int and Str comparatively equal), but on the other Monks have a higher initial hp, and it means that you get to start the game as a hand-to-hand fighter. I only put Wizard first as I thought you wanted to start out going for Bladesinger, but starting Monk works just as well. If you're only going for 3 levels of monk, then there's two paths that I'd recommend:

PATH A
L1: Monk
L2 - 3: Wizard
L4 - 5: Monk
L6+: Wizard

PATH B
L1 - 3: Monk
L4+: Wizard

The difference between the two is what your build looks like at level 3. This is the level that all single class character get their subclass at, so it depends on if you want to be a decent puncher with minor magic and bladesong at level 3 (A), or an adept melee puncher with some minor healing (B, assuming Mercy Monk).

I'd recommend path A if your Wis isn't high, just to be able to get some AC from Mage Armor, but both work well!

Kylar0990
2021-03-25, 07:50 PM

My point was that until you got your Wis to 18 it wouldn't be better for you than just casting Mage Armor. As it is Dex, Int, and Con have a higher priority than Wis. If you roll stats you may be able to pull off that MAD a build otherwise while this multiclass could be fun and get you some utility, you would always be behind the curve of just being a Bladesinger.

5eNeedsDarksun
2021-03-25, 07:57 PM
Bladesinger can work well with Arcane Trickster if you want to go the rogue route.

Omni-Centrist
2021-03-25, 10:52 PM
Variant Human, Fighting Initiative Feat for D8 damage die, Monk 1 for BA attack.

When you get Blur, anything that doesnt surprise you is going to be ****ed. When you get haste, everything is ****ed.

redsonja
2021-03-26, 06:44 PM
I highly recommend checking out the latest set of videos of Bilbron Bafflestone, where he goes into step by step builds of blade singer. He mostly seems to do a one level dip fighter and the rest wizard, but he says he's going to do a bunch of videos specifically about Bladesinger-- he's got a bunch of ideas. I've watched 3- One was a Moon Druid blade singer-- another was a ranged fighter "Bowstinger"- and another was a buddy build of a bladesinger and a shepherd druid.

His videos are pretty thorough.

It won't let me post a link as I don't have enough juice here, but if you search "power gamers tactics room" on youtube you will find him.

Composer99
2021-03-27, 09:30 AM
The only caution I would put forward is that bladesinger/monk is MAD as heck, needing Dex, Int, Wis, and Con. I could see it feeling unsatisfactory with point buy, especially in a campaign such as Tomb of Annihilation.

Otherwise, fun concept and I hope you enjoy it!

Omni-Centrist
2021-03-27, 09:39 AM
The only caution I would put forward is that bladesinger/monk is MAD as heck, needing Dex, Int, Wis, and Con. I could see it feeling unsatisfactory with point buy, especially in a campaign such as Tomb of Annihilation.

Otherwise, fun concept and I hope you enjoy it!

I think the best thing about that is having access to a 14/14/14/13 point buy, which makes it a little easier to use. You dont really need Wis, so the 13 can go for that, and you have +2 in your 2 secondary stats and can start with 16 in dex and Unarmed Fighting style via fighting Initiative if you wanna punch REALLY hard.

Unoriginal
2021-03-27, 09:47 AM
I highly recommend checking out the latest set of videos of Bilbron Bafflestone, where he goes into step by step builds of blade singer. He mostly seems to do a one level dip fighter and the rest wizard, but he says he's going to do a bunch of videos specifically about Bladesinger-- he's got a bunch of ideas. I've watched 3- One was a Moon Druid blade singer-- another was a ranged fighter "Bowstinger"- and another was a buddy build of a bladesinger and a shepherd druid.

His videos are pretty thorough.

It won't let me post a link as I don't have enough juice here, but if you search "power gamers tactics room" on youtube you will find him.

His videos about the Bladesinger were pretty bad, though. At least the ones I watched.

Notably, he didn't address any of the weaknesses of the subclass or of the playstyle he recommanded.

Keravath
2021-03-27, 09:39 PM
Instead of dex based fighter what if I went monk astral self? It flavors well with my design. Which is just two weapon fighting with a rapier and short sword flavored as unarmed strikes. I just wanted to use spells and cantrips to enhance those strikes. I wouldn’t use much spells outside of melee spells. Unless it was a specific situation.

A few things to keep in mind ...
1) Two weapon fighting requires that both weapons be light. A rapier is not light and can't be used for two weapon fighting without also taking the dual wielder feat.
2) Booming blade and Green flame blade require taking the Cast a Spell action. Two weapon fighting or a monk's unarmed strike require taking the Attack action. As a result, you can't get two attacks through TWF or martial arts and use the cantrips (except for a level 6 bladesinger which gets extra attack and can use one of those attacks for a cantrip) so you won't have two attacks when using a cantrip until level 6 bladesinger and at that point you could have three attacks.
3) If you want to use unarmed strikes you could take the Fighting Style feat for unarmed fighting which I think makes all your unarmed strikes a d8.
4) A bladesinger may have extra melee attacks but it is primarily a wizard with all the higher level spells available. At level 5, the bladesinger has to decide whether they will be better off running in and casting a booming blade to hit an opponent or casting a fireball to hit 4-10 opponents. Most of the time, the bladesinger is typically better off using their spells. This is also what gets lost when a bladesinger multiclasses - they delay the progression to extra attack AND higher level spells.
5) The monk/wizard multiclass can be cool but is very MAD (Multiple Attribute Dependent) since it needs high dex, int, wis and con to function well - which might be possible with a good roll but doesn't work well with point buy.
6) Starting high str and low dex (16,12 in your example) makes no sense for a bladesinger wizard unless you don't plan to use bladesinging since it only works with light armor, no shields, and one handed weapons. If you aren't using bladesinging - I'm not sure why you'd pick this type of wizard.
7) Sneaky type bladesingers do work well with a rogue multiclass - particularly arcane trickster.

bid
2021-03-27, 11:30 PM
2) Booming blade and Green flame blade require taking the Cast a Spell action. Two weapon fighting or a monk's unarmed strike require taking the Attack action.
The "new" bladesinger can cast a cantrip through the Attack action, by replacing an attack roll.

The rest is spot on.