PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Path of War maneuver progression and number of maneuvers question

Ulterior
2021-03-24, 06:42 PM
So I've been trying to wrap my head around this and maybe I'm just missing the forest for the trees, but I can't seem to figure out how maneuver progression works when you have levels in a initiating archetype class (or two) and then take levels in an initiating prestige class. I've read the actual book but don't understand how a prestige class removes the level 6 limit of initiator archetypes; or how the advanced study feat does it for that matter, but that's a different issue.

From what I've been able to piece together, each class advances it's initiator level separately. And a prestige class progresses each class simultaneously?

If this is the case, how does a prestige class bypass the level 6 maneuver ceiling imposed on initiator archetypes?

To give a more specific of an example; my character has three levels in Aegis with the initiator's soul customization, three levels in Soulknife (War Soul), five levels in Awakened Blade and has taken the Practiced Initiator's trait. So would I effectively be a level 11 initiator War Soul and a level 10 Aegis initiator?

And how many maneuvers of each level should I have?

I would greatly appreciate any insight on the topic.

StSword
2021-03-24, 09:56 PM
Okay.

Yes, initiator prestige classes add to all initiator classes on can have.

All other class levels add half their value to a given initiator's effective level.

So

Aegis: Base of 3

Warsoul Soulknife: Base of 3

Pathfinder rounds down, so this isn't really the best for bang for your buck so it becomes

Aegis: 3 plus 1 for the Warsoul levels, so four

Warsoul: 3 plus 1 for aegis levels, so four

Awakened Blade then adds five to both of them.

Aegis: 4 plus 5, nine

Warsoul: 4 plus 5, nine

Add practiced initiator to Warsoul, so nine plus 2 equals 11.

So as an aegis, you could have fourth level maneuvers.

As a warsoul, you could have have fifth level manuevers.

I'm not aware of any cheat to go past the 6th level maximum for archetypes.

Oh as for how many maneuvers you've got.

Aegis- You've got 5 maneuvers known, and one stance known. When you learn them they are limited to level 1, but you can trade them out as your effective level gets higher later.

Warsoul: You've again got five manuevers known, and one one stance known, since again, you only got three levels of it.

From 5 levels of Awakened blade, another two manuevers known, and one stance known.

So a total of twelve maneuvers, and three stances known.

Although if you added nine levels of Mystic as a mystic you could learn 8th level manuevers: 9 base, 5 for prestige class, 1 from aegis, 1 from warsoul, and your warsoul would be effectively level 15 (so 6th level maneuvers), and aegis would be effectiely level 14 (again 6th level manuevers).

But archetype progression is specifically limited to 6.

TiaC
2021-03-25, 03:54 AM
I'm not aware of any cheat to go past the 6th level maximum for archetypes.
But archetype progression is specifically limited to 6.

This is incorrect. If you look at the 6th-level initiating archetypes, they all have language like this:

The maximum level of maneuvers gained through primal disciple levels is limited by those listed in that table as well, although this restriction does not apply to maneuvers added to his maneuvers known through other methods, such as prestige classes or the Advanced Study feat.
Maneuvers gained through any source other than the archetype can be of any level that an initiating class could choose from at that level. (So a max of half your IL, rounded up)

Oh as for how many maneuvers you've got.

Aegis- You've got 5 maneuvers known, and one stance known. When you learn them they are limited to level 1, but you can trade them out as your effective level gets higher later.
How many stances and maneuvers you get from the Aegis side is going to depend on how many times you take Additional Maneuvers and Additional Stance. (You'll need Student of the Astral Suit for anything past taking Additional Maneuvers once) You will have at least 3 maneuvers and 1 stance.

Since an Aegis can change their customizations, they actually have a bit more freedom with maneuver level. You pick your maneuvers known when you pick the Initiator’s Soul customization. You can use Reconfigure or just spend 8 hours working on your suit to change customizations, allowing you to reselect it at higher levels and even change the disciplines you select. For example, if you reselect it at IL 9, like your 11th level character has, all the maneuvers you pick could be up to 4th level, provided you met the prerequisites.

From 5 levels of Awakened blade, another two manuevers known, and one stance known.

These can be from any discipline you have access to. The maneuvers you gain from your two base classes are separate. They use that class's IL, initiation modifier, and recovery mechanic. The maneuvers you gain from Awakened blade must be assigned to one of these classes for the purposes of IL, initiation modifier, and recovery mechanic, but it doesn't matter what class originally gave you that discipline. You'll probably want to assign them all to War Soul, since it has the higher IL, and can thus pick higher level maneuvers