PDA

View Full Version : Asi or feat for hexblade/bladesing build?

CrazyCarppy
2021-03-25, 08:34 AM
I'll be starting to play this character soon and trying to figure out how to progress from here.
Hexblade/bladesinger 2/7.
8 are
14 dex
15 con
18 int
10 wis
16 cha.
Elven acc. Darkness/devilsight.
Base ac 14 with studded leather. 18 while Blaedsinging. Shield spell avail. So possible 25 ac.
My next asi im not sure what to do with. Dex for better base ac. Con is always an option. Int for casting and singing a.c. cha for damage. Or one of a million feats that i like. Mobile, defensive duelist. Crushed all come to mind.

Anyone have any insight? Any experience playing a frontline wizard?

Thanks

Catullus64
2021-03-25, 08:54 AM
Given how much your build already splits its functionality across three ability scores (a point which your post already articulated quite nicely), the right feat may do more for you than boosting any one score, especially since your DEX, INT, and CHA are all even already.

I can never praise Mobile enough for builds like this. Assuming your party isn't relying on you to be the primary front line, you'll save yourself a lot of damage by just not being in harm's way.

If the party is relying on you to get stuck in as the primary melee... this isn't an ideal build for that, but War Caster is probably a more tempting choice; you'll be making a lot more Concentration saves, making a lot more opportunity attacks, and it opens up shield use for when you run out of Bladesong uses. Resilient (Constitution) might be tempting for a lot of the same reasons, given that you've got an odd CON score.

Then again again... what's your utility situation? If your spell selection is heavily focused around fighting, maybe a feat to improve your out-of-combat contributions. Feats like Actor and Keen mind can be a blast, if you have the sort of DM who knows how to play to them.

CrazyCarppy
2021-03-25, 09:08 AM
The party has a rune knight, a paladin, a demon hunter all melee oriented...so I am not tge main frontliner.
My spell choices looked at usefulness in melee first and then utility/control.
I'm really liking mobile. Combined with misty step I'll be where i want to be more often than not...