PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next PC race: Xvart

traskomancer
2021-03-25, 09:18 AM
I want to preface this by saying I've altered xvarts' lore significantly for my homebrew setting. I'm mostly looking for balance/mechanics feedback on this race.

--------------

Xvart Culture
Xvarts were once, many centuries ago, humans. Their kind warped long ago into their current, squat, blue- or purple-skinned selves after having to adapt to harsh life in the Dark Beyond. There, they are the bottom of the food chain, doing their best to subsist among abominations and an extremely unwelcoming environment. Some xvarts try to escape to the prime material plane, but even there they historically struggle due to a lack of understanding of surface culture and their strange appearance and ways. Xvarts tend to be well aware that they are weak relative to their surroundings and try to accrue any advantage they can to overcome challenges.
Xvart culture has evolved very differently from that of surface humans. They have more or less abandoned the concept of gender, and almost always use they/them pronouns. They tend to embrace dirt, grime, and the repulsive as a defense mechanism rather than shying away from such things. Grime and vermin hold a special place in their culture, and many xvarts enjoy being filthy, even if they’re aware they have to occasionally bathe to placate any humans they interact with. Insects, rats, and other vermin are common xvart pets and are revered in their culture as sacred. They appreciate anything small and weak that can still find a place to flourish in its environment.

Xvart Names
Xvarts generally have no surname. Their names usually involve two instances of double letters, in an “AABB” or “ABBA” format.
Example xvart names: Gooeen, Buurr, Zeeza, Oott, Yaagg, Palla, Hilloo, Vexxet, Raarf, Eeemm, Dollo, Krroo, Ajja, Ommaa, Ehhuu, Rubbu, Marra, Tiggi, Sooww, Uudd, Nooff, Aarrn

Xvart Traits
Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 2.
Age. A xvart reaches adulthood in their late teens. Xvarts that live in the dark beyond rarely survive much past their forties, but they can live as long as humans.
Size. Xvarts average about 3’4” and weigh about 50 lbs. Your size is Small.
Darkvision. Xvarts had to adapt to the lack of light in the Dark Beyond. You can see in dim light within 30 ft. of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darnkness, only shades of gray.
Weakspeak. You can communicate nonverbally with ordinary vermin such as rats and insects, as well as with giant vermin such as giant spiders and giant bats.
Overbearing Pack. You have advantage on Athletics checks to shove a creature if at least one of your allies is within 5 ft. of the target and that ally isn’t incapacitated.
Low Cunning. You can take the Disengage action as a bonus action on each of your turns.
Sneaky. You have proficiency with the Stealth skill.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write two languages (most likely Abyssal, which is the language of the Dark Beyond, and Rigian).
Subrace. Xvarts develop differently depending on the environments they are exposed to most often. The subraces of Surface Xvart and Dark Beyond Xvart represent this. Choose one of these subraces.

Surface Xvarts
Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution score increases by 1.
Human Interaction. Surface Xvarts need a way to get by in human-dominated areas. You are proficient with your choice of either the Deception or Persuasion skill.

Dark Beyond Xvarts
Ability Score Increase. Your Charisma score increases by 1.
Superior Darkvision. Your darkvision has a radius of 90 ft.
Sunlight Sensitivity. You may very well have never seen the sun before you start adventuring. You have disadvantage on attack rolls and on Perception checks that rely on sight when you, the target of your attack, or whatever you are trying to perceive is in direct sunlight.
Dark Magic. Many Dark Beyond Xvarts wind up taking pacts with Melchior, the Hellfire Emperor to get by in their harsh world. Even if you haven’t made such a pact, someone in your ancestry or community probably has, and you’ve benefited. You know one cantrip from the warlock list. Your spellcasting ability for it is Charisma.

sandmote
2021-03-25, 12:53 PM
I really like the shove ability, and that these xvarts are distinct from goblins.

Assuming Overbearing Shove is a 4 on detect balance, I get 22 for the base race, 28 for the surface dwellers and 27 for the dark beyond xvarts. That's about the upper limit you want homebrew races to hit.

I do have a question about the subrace ASIs. The xvarts constantly being eaten have a Cha bonus and the ones trying to fit in with other races have a Con bonus. Feels like it should be the reverse, just based on the lore provided here. Is there a reason for it being this way?

traskomancer
2021-03-25, 01:04 PM
Yeah, I picked xvarts because they have some weird an unique abilities and feel like a fun alternative to goblins or kobolds. You're probably right about the subrace ASIs. I figured the Dark Beyond xvarts should have a boost to their innate spellcasting stat but surface xvarts also benefit from Cha and it makes a lot more sense for them to have it.