PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Spell-like Abilities: The worst combinations

Geopol4r
2021-03-25, 10:10 AM
I'm giving a Spell Gaunt(which is oddly the BBEG) in my campaign SLA's, and I want to know the worst combinations possible. I don't want any stupid things like Wish at will, I want spells of 7th level or lower that work together really well. I'm thinking Permanency, Major Creation, Glyph of Warding, and Dispel Magic 3 times per day each. I'm trying to scale him up to be a challenge for an ECL 15 party of 6. Any thoughts? Ideas? Elder Troll gallstones? :smallsmile:

Jack_Simth
2021-03-25, 11:56 AM
Permanency doesn't work well without suitable companion spells.

Maybe Limited Wish, Greater Glyph of Warding, Unhallow, and Greater Dispel Magic?

Planar Binding (and supporting spells) could make him a minionomancer, as could the lowly Animate Dead. Animate Objects and Permanency work well together.

Raishoiken
2021-03-25, 12:05 PM
I'm giving a Gaunt spider(which is oddly the BBEG) in my campaign SLA's, and I want to know the worst combinations possible. I don't want any stupid things like Wish at will, I want spells of 7th level or lower that work together really well. I'm thinking Permanency, Major Creation, Glyph of Warding, and Dispel Magic 3 times per day each. I'm trying to scale him up to be a challenge for an ECL 15 party of 6. Any thoughts? Ideas? Elder Troll gallstones? :smallsmile:

Is a spellgaunt you're talking about?

Geopol4r
2021-03-25, 12:20 PM
Yes, in fact it is. I'll fix that.

Particle_Man
2021-03-25, 02:42 PM
Oh hey, a climb speed!

How about: Project Image, Evard's Black Tentacles, something that does area damage (suit to taste) and Maybe Wall of Stone/Iron (positioned so that the Spellgaunt can see their image, the party sees the image, but the party does not see the Spellguant, who presumably is high up somewhere)?

Thurbane
2021-03-25, 09:48 PM
Some decent SLAs:

- Shadow Conjuration
- Greater Teleport
- Acid Fog
- Greater Dispel Magic
- Polymorph
- Greater Invisibility
- Confusion

Jowgen
2021-03-26, 12:04 AM
Energy Transformation Field.

Even as a 1/day and it's no-expensive spells limitation, it is incredibly versatile in how you can combine it with other stuff to generate all kinds of set-ups.

Add some minions or other gizmo's to charge up the fields, and you can design a truly unique bossfight experience.

Khedrac
2021-03-26, 03:31 AM
Not Spell-Like Abilities, but consider the following combination:

1 Drowned with an aura that can very quickly drop people to 0 hp.
1 Death Giant with an aura that straight-out kills anyone who's hit points drop too low (best to give the Dilate Aura feat or similar).
and the icing on the cake - an eversmoking bottle or the equivalent so no one can see what's walking around killing people with their auras.

And if the players are smart and try to work out what killed people, they may detect the signs of drowning, but it won't be the cause of death in most cases...