PDA

View Full Version : Skin Horse died?

halfeye
2021-03-25, 11:52 AM
Since all the comments on today’s strip were people complaining about how boring and badly-drawn Skin Horse is, I’ve decided to stop drawing it.

Seems a bit sad. I'm not saying it was well drawn, but it had a sort of story and it published regularly which is nice.

I mean, the only thing that competes with it for regularity of publication is Bone Quest, which has no story and is quite often very rude/too much information, and might not be drawn at all (I'm thinking it's possibly cut/n/pasted images from some very old comic with new speach bubbles, though I don't know which comic if so).

Willie the Duck
2021-03-25, 01:43 PM
Huh. That's another strip I used to read, got behind, and then catching up seemed like work and I never got around to it, but kept meaning to do so. I remember it being good (but apparently not good enough to put in the effort). I think I corresponded with Shaenon Garrity for some reason. Seemed like a nice person. Hope she and Jeff Wells each go on to do more great things.

Forum Explorer
2021-03-25, 03:01 PM
That is a shame. I never read the comments really, so this caught me completely by surprise.

lord_khaine
2021-03-25, 07:46 PM
Urg. Its honestly kinda annoying, to have a story stopped right before the ending.
Especially for such a flimsy reason as dumb comments from people on the net.

Anarchic Fox
2021-03-26, 11:12 AM
An update:

Update: Thanks to everyone for the kind words. I’m talking to Jeff about what to do next.

To be clear, no one was super mean in the comments; there’s just a long history of complaints and nitpicking and “funny” little jabs, and the first few comments on today’s strip were all in that mode. It just feels like people aren’t enjoying the strip, and I don’t want to make something people don’t enjoy.

So it looks like it was a moment of personal crisis, not a permanent decision. As a friend told me, unsolicited criticism often does more harm than good. And if you can make $1300 a month off your comic via Patreon, and still have your confidence undermined by anonymous criticism, it shows how potent that criticism is.

halfeye
2021-03-27, 10:44 AM
It's going to return in May.

http://skin-horse.com/

... This is just an announcement to say that Skin Horse is going on an R&R break for the month of April. We plan to return on Monday, May 3.

The outpouring of support from so many of you in this community in the past few days has been humbling and overwhelming. ...

Forum Explorer
2021-03-27, 06:38 PM
It's going to return in May.

http://skin-horse.com/

That's a relief. And yeah, take a break. She's been super consistent about getting comic updates out for years. That's all sorts of impressive in its own right.