PDA

View Full Version : Scribes Wizard clarification

carrdrivesyou
2021-03-25, 02:45 PM
The Awakened Spellbook feature mentions:

"When you cast a wizard spell with a spell slot, you can temporarily replace its damage type with a type that appears in another spell in your spellbook, which magically alters the spell’s formula for this casting only. The latter spell must be of the same level as the spell slot you expend."

If I prepare Magic Missile and have Chromatic Orb, could I choose any of the damage types dealt by that spell? Also, since they are both 1st level spells, if I choose to upcast MM, can I still swap the damage types?

PhoenixPhyre
2021-03-25, 02:58 PM
The Awakened Spellbook feature mentions:

"When you cast a wizard spell with a spell slot, you can temporarily replace its damage type with a type that appears in another spell in your spellbook, which magically alters the spell’s formula for this casting only. The latter spell must be of the same level as the spell slot you expend."

1) If I prepare Magic Missile and have Chromatic Orb, could I choose any of the damage types dealt by that spell? 2)Also, since they are both 1st level spells, if I choose to upcast MM, can I still swap the damage types?

1) Yes. The available damage types appear explicitly in Chromatic Orb.
2)(My reading): No. You're casting MM (2nd level). So the set of spells you can reference are the set of second level spells you have in your spellbook. If it had said "the latter spell must be of the same level as the spell you're casting", that would be different. But same level as slot means that the "native" level of the second spell must match the as-cast level of the spell you're casting (2nd level in this case).

AvvyR
2021-03-25, 03:59 PM
1) Yes. The available damage types appear explicitly in Chromatic Orb.
2)(My reading): No. You're casting MM (2nd level). So the set of spells you can reference are the set of second level spells you have in your spellbook. If it had said "the latter spell must be of the same level as the spell you're casting", that would be different. But same level as slot means that the "native" level of the second spell must match the as-cast level of the spell you're casting (2nd level in this case).

This is correct. A spell is the level of the slot used to cast it (or the level of the lowest slot that could be used to cast it, if the spell does not use a slot). Magic Missile cast with a 5th level slot is a 5th level spell for all purposes. You can still swap its damage type, but only among the types available at the level you're casting it.