PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm... Haley has something of Roy's

Twisted Otaku
2007-11-09, 11:43 PM
Now I'm not sure if any body has adressed this yet or not but here goes. Right, so Roy died via deadly force with the ground. While he was falling he did try to break that pendant. After his body was recovered, Haley held on to the pendant, as is shown the last time we see her, here: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0484.html . Now... I'm pretty sure she does not know how to use it, but my question is, do you believe this pendant will play a part in her rescue? Or is she just holding it for Roy?

MCerberus
2007-11-09, 11:45 PM
Well considering Spellcraft and knowledge checks are out of the question it would just look like a shiny necklace to Haley and Belkar.

RandomLogic
She could use it to save Roy's body, but you have to figure, the ships are nowhere to be seen from Azure City. So even if Celia could fly them all out of there, where would they go? Getting out of the city to go even farther away from everyone else doesn't really help their cause any.

I'd say she's just holding on to it.

If you check http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0320.html the comic where Roy is given the charm, Haley is nearby, so unless she failed her Listen check I think she will know what it is.

Dalboz of Gurth
I was wondering the same thing.

Twisted Otaku
2007-11-09, 11:46 PM
Well considering Spellcraft and knowledge checks are out of the question it would just look like a shiny necklace to Haley and Belkar.

Suppose she took it to somebody that did know

The Extinguisher
2007-11-09, 11:48 PM
Haley was in the room when Celia explained how it worked.

MCerberus
Suppose she took it to somebody that did know

Hmm... aside from some redshirt hobbo clerics there are 3 beings in AC that we know of that could shed some light on it... the members of Team Evil.

Twisted Otaku
She could use it to save Roy's body, but you have to figure, the ships are nowhere to be seen from Azure City. So even if Celia could fly them all out of there, where would they go? Getting out of the city to go even farther away from everyone else doesn't really help their cause any.

I'd say she's just holding on to it.

If you check http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0320.html the comic where Roy is given the charm, Haley is nearby, so unless she failed her Listen check I think she will know what it is.

Excellent spot sir! I think she's close enough to have heard it ^_^ hmm...

RandomLogic
2007-11-09, 11:49 PM
Plus her reaction in http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0474.html leads me to believe that she knows what it is.

Excellent spot sir! I think she's close enough to have heard it ^_^ hmm...

Yay me! *pat on back*

I spent all day at work rereading the comics and that short story arc of celebration is one of my favorite.

Green Bean
2007-11-09, 11:50 PM
Well, since neither Belkar or Haley likely have magic identifying abilities, as far as we know, the most likely way it would be opened is simply by accident. Or, it could simply be Chekov's gun, waiting to go off at the end. Or, this being my favourite theory, the Giant introduced the item specifically to drive the boards crazy speculating whether or not it'll be used, and Roy will save the world and hook up with Celia without needing the necklace at all.

Twisted Otaku
2007-11-09, 11:50 PM
Hmm... aside from some redshirt hobbo clerics there are 3 beings in AC that we know of that could shed some light on it... the members of Team Evil.

True, and we really won't know until the comic that deals with Haley and Belkar arrives, part of your theory involves Haley being AC, something which we have no idea is true or not. Something tells me that Haley isn't the wait-around-to-be-rescued kind of gal

Twisted Otaku
2007-11-09, 11:55 PM
Well, since neither Belkar or Haley likely have magic identifying abilities, as far as we know, the most likely way it would be opened is simply by accident. Or, it could simply be Chekov's gun, waiting to go off at the end. Or, this being my favourite theory, the Giant introduced the item specifically to drive the boards crazy speculating whether or not it'll be used, and Roy will save the world and hook up with Celia without needing the necklace at all.

Heh, he does do that sometimes, and I too am amused when I step back and see it happening, still, there's always that time where you get excited because you think that maybe you've found a piece of the puzzle. And I'm not talking about crap like "OMG HALEY COULD BE THE NINJA" threads wherein people simply... I'm not sure how to put it : p

David Argall
2007-11-09, 11:57 PM
Haley also has the family sword, which has already been used to get messages from above. So Roy may be visiting Haley soon.

Green Bean
2007-11-09, 11:59 PM
Haley also has the family sword, which has already been used to get messages from above. So Roy may be visiting Haley soon.

It'd all come down to whether or not Cloister would block a ghostly visitation. It seems pretty likely, as it's pretty much an attempt at magical communication.

MCerberus
2007-11-09, 11:59 PM
I'm not sure how to put it : p

I put it in a post containing four categories to point out the pointlessness of it.

Twisted Otaku
2007-11-10, 12:00 AM

Hmm good point! Perhaps to give her instructions concerning the amulet!

Yendor
2007-11-10, 12:03 AM
The question is whether the summoning will work through the Cloister spell. If it doesn't, will Celia even know she's been summoned? And if it does, won't she be just as trapped in Azure City as Haley and Belkar?

Twisted Otaku
2007-11-10, 12:05 AM
The question is whether the summoning will work through the Cloister spell. If it doesn't, will Celia even know she's been summoned? And if it does, won't she be just as trapped in Azure City as Haley and Belkar?

But if she's not in Azure City, how does that work. I know that due to the other scrying spells not working, does she has to be in either AC or veil of some other type?

David Argall
2007-11-10, 03:00 AM

My bet is that she would not feel the summonsing, and if she were summonsed, she would be trapped there. The summonsing is presumably a teleport effect, and so the offline city would be off limits.

Now I can think of several reasons why Roy using his sword would not be blocked. ...
He may be backed by heavenly power, say 40th-50th level caster, which just punches thru the spell.
Divine magic and arcane magic are not as different in 3.5 as in earlier versions, but it is still possible for one to completely ignore the other, meaning a sufficiently high divine spell might bypass the arcane barrier. [It does stop divine up to 7th apparently, but again we can talk of heavenly powers of 8th or 9th.]
We can view the spell as a wall around the city, but there may not be a roof, which would allow Roy to just fall in. We are talking of a multi-dimensional system here, which means this "roof" may not need to be above but has to be present in several other "directions" as well. So Roy may face no barrier at all, once he manages to leave heaven...
The sword is itself +5 and has other abilities, particularly against undead. So it may be able to overcome a spell cast by an undead.
So there may be ways for Roy to get inside the city.

geekyhedgehog
2007-11-10, 08:54 AM
My bet is that she would not feel the summonsing, and if she were summonsed, she would be trapped there. The summonsing is presumably a teleport effect, and so the offline city would be off limits.

Now I can think of several reasons why Roy using his sword would not be blocked. ...
He may be backed by heavenly power, say 40th-50th level caster, which just punches thru the spell.
Divine magic and arcane magic are not as different in 3.5 as in earlier versions, but it is still possible for one to completely ignore the other, meaning a sufficiently high divine spell might bypass the arcane barrier. [It does stop divine up to 7th apparently, but again we can talk of heavenly powers of 8th or 9th.]
We can view the spell as a wall around the city, but there may not be a roof, which would allow Roy to just fall in. We are talking of a multi-dimensional system here, which means this "roof" may not need to be above but has to be present in several other "directions" as well. So Roy may face no barrier at all, once he manages to leave heaven...
The sword is itself +5 and has other abilities, particularly against undead. So it may be able to overcome a spell cast by an undead.

And, in addition to that, if Celia is on another plane of existance, she might also be able to get through the Cloister.

MCerberus
2007-11-10, 11:15 AM

It depends on if the barrier is akin to simply blocking scrying (like the throne room on a massive scale), a barrier to magic meaning a summoned creature that touches it goes poof and all scrying attempts fizzle at the barrier, or any combination of the two plus it literally making "Azure City is off the map!" true.

We are talking epic magic here.

2007-11-10, 11:21 AM
Plus her reaction in http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0474.html leads me to believe that she knows what it is.

Hey, completely off-topic, but there's a typo there!

Last frame, the CitD asks, "Would either of your gentleman care for another scone?"

silvadel
2007-11-10, 11:38 AM
As the next time we see celia is in the court of lord tyrannus....

(Haley using it as part of the payment for getting her father released).

the_tick_rules
2007-11-10, 11:41 AM
yeah, but roy will want his booty call amulet back.

Emanick
2007-11-10, 12:27 PM
It'd all come down to whether or not Cloister would block a ghostly visitation. It seems pretty likely, as it's pretty much an attempt at magical communication.

Cloister most likely blocks Divination spells (maybe only specific ones, judging by V's possibly uninformed comment). I highly doubt a ghost manifesting counts as Divination in OOTS. :smallwink:
I think Celia will be summoned by Redcloak or Xykon, personally, who breaks the amulet in a fit of frustration after capturing Haley and maybe Belkar. Just my twisted theory, I hope it's wrong. :smallfrown:

Chronos
2007-11-10, 01:49 PM
Cloister most likely blocks Divination spells (maybe only specific ones, judging by V's possibly uninformed comment).First of all, it clearly doesn't just block specific ones, since "Vaarsuvius' Enhanced Scrying" would not be one of them. Second, Sending (the spell they'd be trying to use to contact Haley, as opposed to just watching her) is evocation, not divination, so it apparently works on multiple schools.