PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Support Sorcerer as Divine Soul or Clockwork Soul?

Citadel97501
2021-03-26, 01:11 PM
Hello all, I was wondering how you all feel about the Support Sorcerer using Tasha's Cauldron of Everything. Mainly it looks to me that the Clockwork Soul is still better at this role than the Divine Soul as the primary benefit for Divine Soul is access to cleric healing but the sheer number of spells on Clockwork along with its damage reduction abilities will beat it at this task.

However, I would like to know your opinions?

Kylar0990
2021-03-26, 01:32 PM
Hello all, I was wondering how you all feel about the Support Sorcerer using Tasha's Cauldron of Everything. Mainly it looks to me that the Clockwork Soul is still better at this role than the Divine Soul as the primary benefit for Divine Soul is access to cleric healing but the sheer number of spells on Clockwork along with its damage reduction abilities will beat it at this task.

However, I would like to know your opinions?

It may depend on what kind of support your character is trying to give. Healing and buffs would probably be better to go Divine Soul. Debuffs and crowd control Clockwork Soul may pull ahead.

Merudo
2021-03-26, 01:46 PM
The supports spell you are missing out as Clockwork are really Sanctuary and Revivify. If you are not a big fan of either spell, I wouldn't recommend the Divine Soul.

sophontteks
2021-03-26, 07:14 PM
There isn't really any comparison. Clockwork is quite a lot better then divine soul. Divine soul is "So many options, so few spells known."

As you probably know, to be a great support sorcerer, just add twinned. Clockworks have elements in their kit that make it harder to lose concentration on those twinned hastes and polymorphs.

Ogre Mage
2021-03-26, 10:46 PM
Unless access to cure wounds and healing word is essential, picking the clockwork soul is a no-brainer.

Merudo
2021-03-27, 01:18 AM
Unless access to cure wounds and healing word is essential, picking the clockwork soul is a no-brainer.

The Clockwork Soul's Aid can largely replicate Cure Wounds and Healing Word. It can even bring back up to 3 people with 0 HP.

stoutstien
2021-03-27, 05:22 AM
DS are still one the best high level summoners in the game with access to all the big ways to turn gold into armies. Past that I haven't seen enough of the CW sorcerer to really judge it.

borg286
2021-03-28, 01:04 AM
Between the 2 I'd strongly support clockwork.
But I feel Dissonant whispers and command are a strong reason to side with Aberrant Mind. Opportunity attacks are amazing, and Command will eat a monsters actions. See my sig for a well fleshed out support aberrant Mind. I hope my explanation on how to make each spell useful for various roles helps.

Salmon343
2021-03-28, 01:46 PM
Divine Soul works a lot better as a healer, as it gets native access to healing spells and resurrection magic. Clockwork Soul is a lot better at protective style effects and magic, and can remove conditions with lesser and greater restoration. Plus it has bonus spells, which makes it a lot easier to pick a decent spell load-out. I would say that Clockwork wins here, unless you're gunning for healing and resurrection magic.

Mastikator
2021-03-28, 02:13 PM
Depending on your level extended Aura of Vitality may be broken good, or just regular good as far as healing goes. Specifically out of combat.

borg286
2021-03-28, 05:18 PM
Don't forget to twin Inflict Wounds and Twin Command.
Command(flee) has damage and buff thanks to opportunity attacks.
It also has damage mitigation thanks to eating up monster actions.
It has obvious control benefits.
Doing Command(juggle) can break concentration on enemy caster.
Command(grovel) for the party paladin and rogue.
Twin Mind Sliver then Upcasting Command lets you quicken it, effectively combining twin and quicken.

Snails
2021-03-30, 12:17 PM
If you do not have a strong vision of why you would rather play a Divine Soul, then go with Clockwork. In the long run, the flexibility of the significantly larger spell selection is probably going to be the winner for you.

RogueJK
2021-03-31, 08:58 AM

And even if must have Cure Wounds and Healing Word, that can be achieved with a 1 level Cleric dip, with some additional side benefits as well.

Between the 2 I'd strongly support clockwork.
But I feel Dissonant whispers and command are a strong reason to side with Aberrant Mind.

You can get Dissonant Whispers through the Fey Touched feat (along with Misty Step and +1 to CHA). And Command is available through the aforementioned Cleric dip.

So something like a Life Cleric 1 (or Peace or Order)/Clockwork Soul X with the Fey Touched feat would appear to check all these boxes, and make for a very solid Support caster. Would seem to play very similar to something like a support-focused Life Cleric 1/Lore Bard X; the Clockwork Soul having a greater number of spells known in total, with the Lore Bard having access to a slightly wider variety of spells through Magical Secrets and being better at skills.

All that combo is really lacking is access to a few of the useful higher level Cleric spells like Revivify and Heal, if you're wanting to take on 100% of the "party healer support" role.