PDA

View Full Version : Movies The Suicide Squad 2021

Hopeless
2021-03-26, 04:42 PM
The Suicide Squad Trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWZKX72Lv_k)

Has a thread been set up for this yet?

Sapphire Guard
2021-03-26, 04:59 PM
Eh, not particularly grabbing me.

Honestly, think they should let Harley go be in other stories, why would they let her back on the Squad after last time?

Palanan
2021-03-26, 05:20 PM
Point?

Of any of it?

Dienekes
2021-03-26, 05:30 PM
Point?

Of any of it?

The first made money while everyone pretty much agreed it was terrible.

Money and prestige. That is the reason why all movies are made.

That said. The first one was terrible. But I tend to like Gunn's direction. And well, I watched (most of) the remake of Justice League despite thinking the original of that movie was worse than Suicide Squad and thinking Snyder is a worse director than Gunn. So I might give it a try, unless I consistently hear it is actually bad.

Wraith
2021-03-26, 05:40 PM
I didn't *hate* Suicide Squad. It was kinda dumb and overdone with CGI nonsense as most DC movies are, but there were enough good bits in it that I remember it fondly nonetheless.

That being said, I enjoyed the trailer to The Suicide Squad (2021) more than I enjoyed much of the last movie. Lots of Deadpool 2/X-Force vibes, but that's fine because Deadpool 2 was pretty good. I'm especially glad they brought back Joel Kinneman, I really like him and I think he could be a much bigger star in a couple of years' time. He's a lot more comfortable and animated this time around, and I like the way he seems to almost be friends with the rest of the Squad now rather than antagonistic. It's a big step way from the grimdark grittiness of Justice League and more like the playfulness of Shazam, which again can only be a good thing.

I predict that King Shark will be the break-out character of this movie though. *NOM*NOM* !

GloatingSwine
2021-03-26, 06:00 PM
Point?

Of any of it?

Redeem the Suicide Squad IP after the first terrible movie by doing what everyone immediately said they should have done and getting James Gunn to direct it and giving him a lot of liberty to be anarchic by using absolute Z list characters nobody cares about and villains that wouldn't work in the "Serious Business" DCEU. (Starro the Conqueror man, where else are you gonna put a giant evil starfish?)

I predict that King Shark will be the break-out character of this movie though. *NOM*NOM* !

Oh yeah.

I also predict that almost everyone will die (that's gotta be the point of using such obscure characters nobody cares about), but Polka-Dot Man definitely will not.

Mechalich
2021-03-26, 06:04 PM

Got to agree there, and the trailer uses King Shark to at least makes it quite clear that this is a hard-R movie and it means it. That 2016's Suicide Squad was PG-13 was a travesty. This rendition seems much more willing to embrace the schlocky, blood-soaked nature of the Suicide Squad premise with full recognition of how silly all of this actually is, and that sort of thing is definitely in James Gunn's wheelhouse.

I don't expect this movie to be good, but I hope it will be fun.

Palanan
2021-03-26, 06:21 PM
Clearly tastes differ here.

The first Suicide Squad was one of the worst movies I've ever seen, and the only consolation was that at least I didn't spend money in the theater for it.

This thing...seems pitched to an extremely juvenile baseline. I'm actually embarrassed for Idris Elba. As for Margot Robbie, she looks to be the only bright spot, but she really needs a decent movie of her own.

Wraith
2021-03-26, 06:31 PM
I also predict that almost everyone will die (that's gotta be the point of using such obscure characters nobody cares about), but Polka-Dot Man definitely will not.

Captain Boomerang is played by the same guy as in the original Suicide Squad - Jai Courtney. He was one of the highlights of the movie too, I expect that he'll remain a regular character should a franchise be attempted.

John Cena is definitely doomed, though. He's a great sport when it comes to movies, so I imagine it will be violent and extremely messy. :smallbiggrin:

Zevox
2021-03-26, 06:34 PM
Feels very Guardians of the Galaxy - which makes perfect sense considering it's directed by the same guy. And I'm all for that, so I'll probably be seeing it. Heck, by then I might actually go see it in a theater, if I've gotten fully vaccinated.

Honestly, think they should let Harley go be in other stories, why would they let her back on the Squad after last time?
If that means that she did something in the other Suicide Squad film that would get her kicked from the group (I never watched it, so I'm not sure), you should be aware that the two have no continuity between them. This is basically a reboot.

Saintheart
2021-03-27, 12:17 AM
The Suicide Squad Trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWZKX72Lv_k)

Has a thread been set up for this yet?

User ID has high conformity to subject matter. :smallwink:

Kareeah_Indaga
2021-03-27, 08:28 AM
I don’t know. I didn’t enjoy the first one, I wasn’t really a fan of the Guardians of the Galaxy movies, and the fact that it’s a reboot doesn’t excite me.

But I did chuckle a few times during the trailer and I haven’t been to the theater in over a year at this point. So if the reviews are good, I might persuade myself to go see it when August rolls around if I have nothing better to do.

Vinyadan
2021-03-27, 08:46 AM
Oh no, I remember Starro from the Justice League comics... "I can change colour! I am now Starrow the Yellow!" "Oh no, yellow! My only weakness! I cannot strike him! My only hope to win is to summon fifteen hundred kilograms of ready-cut, well-seasoned lumber..." "...?" "...dropped from a height of four hundred meters!"

Divayth Fyr
2021-03-27, 09:30 AM
So, they decided to name the sequel to the "Suicide Squad" "The Suicide Squad"? :smallconfused:

Anyway, first movie was bad, don't expect that to change in the sequel tbh. And since I never particularly liked Harley, not much of a reason to watch it...

Trafalgar
2021-03-27, 10:22 AM
The DCEU grinds on.....

Palanan
2021-03-27, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga
I didn’t enjoy the first one, I wasn’t really a fan of the Guardians of the Galaxy movies, and the fact that it’s a reboot doesn’t excite me.

Pretty much all of this.

Originally Posted by Trafalgar
The DCEU grinds on.....

And if they’re hoping for some lightning to strike, pretty sure it won’t be with this one.

Zevox
2021-03-27, 12:13 PM
So, they decided to name the sequel to the "Suicide Squad" "The Suicide Squad"? :smallconfused:
It's not a sequel. Aside from a couple of actors reprising their roles, the two have nothing to do with each other. You can effectively consider it a reboot, even though they're not calling it one.

Keltest
2021-03-27, 12:21 PM
It's not a sequel. Aside from a couple of actors reprising their roles, the two have nothing to do with each other. You can effectively consider it a reboot, even though they're not calling it one.

So its being true to the comics then?

Divayth Fyr
2021-03-27, 12:36 PM
Ah, a text I read about it called it a sequel. Still, not sure if the decision is a good one...

The Glyphstone
2021-03-27, 01:41 PM
Ah, a text I read about it called it a sequel. Still, not sure if the decision is a good one...

It's apparently being marketed as a 'standalone sequel'. So it's the same characters and happens after the first one, but you can ignore the first one's existence at no loss.

Zevox
2021-03-27, 01:42 PM
It's apparently being marketed as a 'standalone sequel'. So it's the same characters and happens after the first one, but you can ignore the first one's existence at no loss.
:smallconfused: Happens after the first one? My understanding was that it wasn't even that, the first one was being completely ignored.

Palanan
2021-03-27, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by The Glyphstone

So, a sequel that tries its hardest to ignore the fact that the movie it sequels ever existed? Never heard that one before.

Just from looking at the trailer, it looks like at least four actors are returning from the first move. At least it looks like Enchantress won't be in it.

Sapphire Guard
2021-03-27, 02:04 PM
So, a sequel that tries its hardest to ignore the fact that the movie it sequels ever existed? Never heard that one before.

I find that this is usually not a good sign.

If that means that she did something in the other Suicide Squad film that would get her kicked from the group (I never watched it, so I'm not sure), you should be aware that the two have no continuity between them. This is basically a reboot.

She beat the system and escaped. So... maybe not someone you want back on the team?

Edit: They kept Joel Kinnamon, Viola Davis and Jai Courtney, who were among the best performers in the previous film. So we'll see.

Tyrant
2021-03-27, 02:36 PM
That kind of happens with the Halloween movies. 3 acts like 1 was just a movie. 4 on up don't even mention 3. 7 and 8 ignore 4,5, and 6 (though from what I have read there was supposed to be a scene to tie them all together that they ended up cutting from the script). The Rob Zombie ones are a reboot and it's sequel. The newest one is a sequel to at least the first Halloween.

Superman Returns is a sequel to Superman I and II, but not III and IV.

Edit: They kept Joel Kinnamon, Viola Davis and Jai Courtney, who were among the best performers in the previous film. So we'll see.
Since the first Suicide Squad is literally the only movie I have liked Jai Courtney in, I'm glad he's back.

Traab
2021-03-27, 03:16 PM

Just from looking at the trailer, it looks like at least four actors are returning from the first move. At least it looks like Enchantress won't be in it.

Hey come on, maybe she would have been better at belly dancing menacingly with another attempt to practice.

GentlemanVoodoo
2021-03-27, 11:33 PM
Going to take a hard pass on this one. Trailer doesn't inspire to much confidence for an improvement of the first one.

Cazero
2021-03-28, 03:49 AM
This is presented as a self contained story happening after a different self contained story about the same people. Like in every other stories where the protagonists seeks to restore a status quo damaged by the antagonist, nobody needs to care about what happened earlier. Each story can be it's own thing without needing to be a "sequel".

You can tell good and interesting stories without ever breaking the status quo. That's actualy how most franchises started. Like James Bond, or Sherlock Holmes, or Superman. People are crying wolf over this for no damn reason and it's sickening.

Trafalgar
2021-03-28, 07:16 AM
Does WB lose the rights to Harley Quinn if they don't have a movie with her in it at least once a year? I was really surprised to see her in Justice League Dark, Apokolips War in 2020. And here she is again.

Androgeus
2021-03-28, 08:23 AM
Does WB lose the rights to Harley Quinn if they don't have a movie with her in it at least once a year? I was really surprised to see her in Justice League Dark, Apokolips War in 2020. And here she is again.

I think it's a mixture between Quinn being a very popular character (that's why there's an entirely separate animated show centred her), and Robbie enjoys playing the character.

Devonix
2021-03-28, 08:28 AM

I assume you're joking, she's just popular.

Palanan
2021-03-28, 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by Cazero
You can tell good and interesting stories without ever breaking the status quo. That's actualy how most franchises started. Like James Bond, or Sherlock Holmes, or Superman. People are crying wolf over this for no damn reason and it's sickening.

Ease down a little here.

There’s a difference between status quo and complete amnesia. The Bond movies generally operate on status quo, but there’s still some continuity between films.

This is apparently something else altogether—a movie trying to be both a sequel and a standalone film, which doesn’t say much for how it views itself.

Originally Posted by Androgeus
I think it's a mixture between Quinn being a very popular character (that's why there's an entirely separate animated show centred her), and Robbie enjoys playing the character.

Robbie had the advantage of making the character memorable out of the gate (thank you, hot pants) and followed it up with better acting than the entire Justice League put together. No surprise she’ll want to ride that wave as long as she can.

CheesePirate
2021-03-28, 09:15 AM
This looks like it could be a lot of fun, unlike most other DC films I've seen so far.

Ridiculous giant starfish from space as the big bad? Yes please, I'll take that over evil clouds and hordes of faceless whatsits any day.

GentlemanVoodoo
2021-03-28, 01:50 PM

No. DC comics is own by WB. She is just one of the more popular characters at the moment so her appearance is a gas grab.

Darth Credence
2021-03-28, 02:47 PM
I don't have high expectations, but I'll watch it just for King Shark. I like the casting of Stallone, although I am not sure he can compete with the King Shark from the Harley Quinn show.

BloodSquirrel
2021-03-29, 09:33 PM

Not a Highlander or Terminator fan, I see.

Given how bad and pointless the first one was, I'll take what they're selling this time without worrying too much about continuity, which doesn't really exist in the DCEU at this point anyway.

janetJ
2021-03-29, 11:22 PM
I watched the first movie, but didn't like it a lot.
Hope they have new thing to say in the second movie

Tyndmyr
2021-03-30, 08:50 AM
Not a Highlander or Terminator fan, I see.

Given how bad and pointless the first one was, I'll take what they're selling this time without worrying too much about continuity, which doesn't really exist in the DCEU at this point anyway.

It's tragic that they made only one Highlander movie. No sequels at all.

Terminator one and two were great, and 2 certainly didn't ignore 1. After that they got increasingly dodgy, and retconning/ignoring previous films generally was not a point in their favor.

snowblizz
2021-03-30, 09:02 AM
It's tragic that they made only one Highlander movie. No sequels at all.

I mean "There can be only one." Kudos to them for staying with that theme all the way through.

Starbuck_II
2021-03-30, 09:13 AM
I mean "There can be only one." Kudos to them for staying with that theme all the way through.

What about the cartoon. I quite liked the cartoon.

Gallowglass
2021-03-30, 09:35 AM
Let me see if I got all the squad

Rick Flag - non criminal, soldier, team leader. Shoots people with guns.
Harley Quinn - crazy psychiatrist, joker hechgirl, super acrobat, hits people with bat
Bloodsport - Deadshot replacement. Super tech suit and guns
Peacemaker - Former diplomat. Shoots people with guns
Captain Boomerang - aussie. Throws boomerangs at people. Sometimes they explode.
The Thinker - Flash villain. Telepathy and Telekinesis. super genius.
Sol Soria - assuming this is genderswapped version of a low rent guy who could unlock any lock with nanites.
Blackguard - forcefield suit
Polka Dot Man - high tech suit covered with polka dots that can transform into things
Savant - genius, martial artist
Mongal - sister of Mongul. Powerful alien, superman level strength
TDK - the detachable kid. Probably has the power to detach his arms.
Ratcatcher - mentally control rats
King Shark - superhuman shark man. strength. breath water. bite people.
Weasel - human weasel. weasel powers.
Javelin - throws javelins at people

Wow. First of all. that is a LOT of characters. Of course I expect most of them to die in the first couple acts and only a handful to make it through the movie. I think this squad will be a LOT bloodier than the last one with team deaths.

Who do I expect to come out at the end?

Flagg (obviously)
Quinn (obviously)
Peacemaker (already has spin off)
Boomerang (obviously)
King Shark (too cool to die)

Not sure on

Bloodsport (probably survive, but might die heroicly)
Weasel (played by Sean Gunn so might make it)
Ratcatcher (feat. predominately in the trailer, romance arc, so might make it)

Who I expect to die?

TDK
The Thinker
Sol Soria
Blackguard
Savant
Mongal
Javelin
Polka dot man

Psyren
2021-03-30, 01:01 PM
I'm actually looking forward to this one. Schlocky dumb fun with goofy golden- and silver-age villains sounds a lot better than the endless procession of grimdark happening in (almost) the rest of the DCEU.

And for the love of god, I hope Gunn ditched that awful "what if Superman flew off with the president blah blah" pitch. That's never what the Squad was for. They're a wetwork squad under Waller's thumb whose actions she can credibly deny because they're criminals. In fact, make the entire first movie a vivid hallucination cooked up by Harley Quinn's nutty brain or something.

Traab
2021-03-31, 07:33 AM
What about the cartoon. I quite liked the cartoon.

I enjoyed the tv series myself.

Starbuck_II
2021-03-31, 08:35 AM
I enjoyed the tv series myself.

True, but last season where they introduced a girl just to make a spin off was tacky. But till then it was great.
Like the guy turning into a priest so no one can murder him on the job and gain his powers (can't do it in a church); total rules lawyer but smart.

Traab
2021-03-31, 04:15 PM
True, but last season where they introduced a girl just to make a spin off was tacky. But till then it was great.
Like the guy turning into a priest so no one can murder him on the job and gain his powers (can't do it in a church); total rules lawyer but smart.

The little kid immortal who kept suckering in immortals with a helpless act then stabbing them in the back was cool too. And yeah as the seasons went on it started to lose ground with me as they had to keep escalating the stakes and creating crazier adventures to try and keep things interesting. Didnt they introduce the four horsemen as being immortals? I think i remember duncans buddy being one of them but its been so freaking long I cant remember clearly.

Palanan
2021-03-31, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by Starbuck_II

That would be Darius, who gave Richie some dating advice that was about fifteen hundred years out of date.

(“First you compliment her on her father’s horses….”)

Originally Posted by Traab
Didnt they introduce the four horsemen as being immortals? I think i remember duncans buddy being one of them but its been so freaking long I cant remember clearly.

Yes, they did. Duncan’s friend was Methos, once a Horseman and more recently a Watcher.

Kareeah_Indaga
2021-04-01, 07:36 PM
That was quick. Second trailer is out. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kvDLkOiXQg)

Ramza00
2021-04-01, 07:40 PM
My Sweet-Baby-Boy is reading "The Varieties of Religious Experience" by William James, 👏🏻 Up 👏🏻 Side 👏🏻 Down 👏🏻

Palanan
2021-04-01, 09:06 PM
Second trailer makes it seem almost palatable, but I feel like the first trailer is closer to the true spirit of the film.

Almost feels like they were presented in the wrong order.

Trafalgar
2021-04-02, 04:23 PM
Just watched the second trailer.

"If we find out you have personalized license plates, you die" is not that funny a joke. I am surprised they used it in both trailers.

Palanan
2021-04-02, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by Trafalgar
If we find out you have personalized license plates, you die" is not that funny a joke. I am surprised they used it in both trailers.

Agreed, but it's a Harley line, and they want to maximize Harley time.

Vrock Bait
2021-04-02, 04:37 PM

"If we find out you have personalized license plates, you die" is not that funny a joke. I am surprised they used it in both trailers.

Honestly, the line about coughing without covering your mouth was better. I think they just thought the scene was funny in general but didn’t want to show the entire thing again.

Zevox
2021-04-02, 04:44 PM

Eh, they used a lot of the same footage in both trailers. Honestly I half wonder if the fact that the trailer released on April 1st, and so soon after the first one, means that the whole idea for it was to make the film taking itself seriously an April Fool's joke in and of itself.

Ramza00
2021-04-02, 04:55 PM
I am surprised they used it in both trailers.

Trailer 1 was a Red Band Trailer
Trailer 2 was a Green Band Trailer.

In early 2000s they *gestures* (collapsing history) made new rules with movie trailers where if the trailer is showing rated R like content such as obsessive violence, profanity, etc (other rules I am forgetting without looking it up) ... that you should not show this rated R like content as a movie trailer before a G, PG, or PG-13 movie.

Thus "red band trailers" were created and were only supposed to appear before other rated R movies. Now you can still show green band trailers of rated R movies at a PG-13 movie and so on but the trailer will not give you an accurate representation of the final product.

-----

Fast Forward 8 or so years (not going to look up the precise dates) we see Red Band trailers being part of viral marketing with the rise of video websites such as YouTube. Now each of these Red Band trailers are supposed to ask you are you 17 as a dialog window, or have asked you in the past such as you being signed into YouTube and so on.

-----

Since Trailer 1 and Trailer 2 are released so close together that means the marketing people are seeing this as parallel marketing. Knowing Trailer 2 will not be available in some places or merely having two trailers will help with marketing buzz. Yet they will have lots of overlap since the marketing people are not sure you saw the Red Band trailer.

tomandtish
2021-04-04, 04:37 PM
SS is actually my second favorite in the DC universe. Having said that, I've only seen the extended edition, which I've heard is better than the theatrical release. Speaking of...

I find that this is usually not a good sign.

She beat the system and escaped. So... maybe not someone you want back on the team?

Not sure if this is different from the theatrical version, but in the extended she didn't beat the system but was busted out by Joker.

Hopeless
2021-07-28, 03:06 PM
Did you know this is out this week?

GloatingSwine
2021-07-28, 03:23 PM
I did know that. I shall go and see it on Friday.

Zevox
2021-07-28, 03:55 PM
Did you know this is out this week?
Only in the UK, for some reason (is that normal with movies?). The US release isn't until next week.

Peelee
2021-07-29, 05:01 AM
The Mod on the Silver Mountain: Necromancy Squad was better.