PDA

View Full Version : Schtick for an Echo-Knight?

Mr Beer
2021-03-26, 11:23 PM
So my pirate character died and I rolled up a human Echo Knight as a replacement. He has fled the Kryn Empire because of reasons, hence why he now a pirate or at least amenable to joining the party's pirate ship as a new recruit. His dump stat is CHA 7. I'm trying to think of a personality trait or general persona which explains his poor charisma, would be entertaining to play but not so insufferable that the other characters want to drop him off a short plank. Any ideas? I thought about being a colossal edgelord about his 'mysterious fighting powers' but I think that would just be too douchey.

EDIT

Bonus points for a cool name.

Hand_of_Vecna
2021-03-29, 11:34 AM
My Echo Knight refers to his Echo as a distinct other person who is often portrayed as more sensible than him. The Echo has its own name which is actually short for the character's name this wasn't obvious because the Fighter's name is a Medieval name that is no longer popular.

VonKaiserstein
2021-03-29, 05:48 PM
Steal Padparadscha's schtick from Steven Universe. Most use echoes, parts of themselves from other timelines. something happened in your training, accident, curse, timepox, meddling with dunamis, etc. As a result, you are present in combat, but slightly past out of combat. Delay your responses by 30 seconds or so. If someone asks your name, let a few awkward seconds pause so they think you're ignoring them, then interrupt the next player talking and introduce yourself. Be very apologetic and polite about it of course, and make sure to play it up with dramatic reveals. You could even play it as a drawback- so it's not at all pronounced when you haven't been in combat for a while, but after using your powers you react to the world that was, not the world that is. Time for you is sort of like a spring that gets loosened and wound again.

I can just imagine the interrogations of captured Captains. 'Alright, alright, I'll talk'. You smack him in the face. Tell us what we want to know, or I'm going to keep on hitting you!
'I'm trying to !'
Whack 'Talk, tough guy!
'Why aren't you listening to me?'
whack.

Your name? Hainasaki Saitou- Hainsait for short.

Man_Over_Game
2021-03-29, 05:54 PM
Always liked the idea of a single person who discovered how to perceive and jump through multiverses-with his parallels being able to do the same. Not everyone of the copies of "him" are good, though, as several are joining together as "factions" to harness their resources for a single cause, while one of them is acting as a "space cop" to round them all up so they stop messing with everything.

You are not that guy. Or, at least, that version. Sometimes you like to pretend you are, though.

A bad guy pretending to be the most pretentious paladin in order to justify his bad behaviors, accidentally becoming a good guy along the way.

Stattick
2021-04-04, 10:35 PM
There were many version of him, throughout the multiverse. He was of middling importance on the cosmic scale; important enough to be noticed by the Gods, but not important enough to a great deal of resources or energy to be spent protecting him. So world after world, he was removed from the cosmic chess game by the dark powers. All but this version of him.

See, this version was particularly unimpressive, and didn't stand out. He was passed up for promotion. He never inspired a mentor to take him under his wing. And being no one of consequence, no one batted an eye when he was scapegoated for some farce he was scarcely involved in. Oh, he could have gone and pled his case to some noble court, but the powers that be had already decided to sacrifice him to save themselves. At best, he'd be a ruined man with a ruined name. So he just walked away instead of standing in court for the trial that was rigged against him.

As to why his Charisma is so low, he feels beaten by the world and rejected by his people. He's overly timid, most of the time. But sometimes, the anger he tries to keep hidden inside, bursts out. If he could just managed to balance the two, instead of ping ponging back and forth, maybe he'd be more likeable.

Spore
2021-04-04, 11:05 PM
Cha 7 and "summoning" in a strict sense feels like he is the creature being summoned, not vice versa. Something basically ripped his person from this realm but it did not succeed. It is still pulling at his person, but it is not finished yet.

Uncharismatic people often are tone-deaf to social interactions, but you could assume he is basically barred from any real and meaningful interaction with other people. He feels like a bad reflection of a proper being because he is. Basically in his training a surge of emotions went horribly wrong and now he is basically a greyscale version of a proper person. Bonus points for creating character art in vivid colors with the PC being washed out or black and white.

RP him as the levelheaded straight man in the group, with a pendant for melancholy or hanging onto old emotions. He would never get too angry, but also never too happy. You can make expections for particularly emotional situations (good BBEG threats or him finding true love and whatnot), echoed (heh) by a temporary upscale in color.

aglondier
2021-04-05, 12:46 PM
Is followed around everywhere by a band of ninjas who literally echo the last word of every sentence he speaks

Tvtyrant
2021-04-06, 03:38 PM
So my pirate character died and I rolled up a human Echo Knight as a replacement. He has fled the Kryn Empire because of reasons, hence why he now a pirate or at least amenable to joining the party's pirate ship as a new recruit. His dump stat is CHA 7. I'm trying to think of a personality trait or general persona which explains his poor charisma, would be entertaining to play but not so insufferable that the other characters want to drop him off a short plank. Any ideas? I thought about being a colossal edgelord about his 'mysterious fighting powers' but I think that would just be too douchey.

EDIT

Bonus points for a cool name.

His echo is an alternate universe version of himself that has a totally different personality, roleplay him as two people that don't like each other.

TinyMushroom
2021-04-13, 11:58 AM
Your echo is literally "you, from the future". The echo looks a lot older, with a lot more battlescars or something. So instead of YOU being the edgelord, you're a bit more of a naive, bright-eyed character who easily gets himself into trouble (the low cha being his bad social skills). And the echo is the jaded edgelord from the dark future. It could be fun to think of ways for him to eventually become his echo in the plot.

There could also be an element in there of "trying to outrun fate", like the reason he's fleeing could be something his echo told him is going to happen.