PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Pick up Moonbeam without a level dip?

gnarlydude
2021-03-27, 05:39 PM
Hey everyone, I'm currently making a warlock character. I've picked the Genie (Efreeti) for access to Scorching Ray and Fireball. I'm left with 2 free feats (Custom race and 4th level ASI) but I'm not sure what to do with those.

Ultimately, I'd like to stay at 5th level and keep my class/subclass intact, but there's a particular spell I'm looking for that seems fairly difficult to get without some considerable level investment: Moonbeam. I love the thematic element of the continuous, searing beam of radiance, and it's a spell I'd really like to have access to.

As far as I can tell, however, my only option to access Moonbeam is to invest 3 levels in druid or cleric, or 5 levels in paladin. It's worth noting that I don't want this solution to be "ask the DM," because while I understand that'd be simplest, I'd prefer to keep the character rules-legal so there isn't an issue at all.

Is there any way to access this spell without investing 3+ levels, or is that the only option?

Lunatism
2021-03-27, 05:49 PM
You can cast moonbeam with limited wish at level 14, without any multi-class

ProsecutorGodot
2021-03-27, 06:27 PM
I don't see any method other than those already discussed. I looked over magic items, feats, backgrounds and even races (just to check for loose ends, since your racial choice is locked in) and had no luck.

You could always ask your DM.

gnarlydude
2021-03-27, 06:44 PM
I looked over magic items, feats, backgrounds and even races

Thank you for checking! I really appreciate the thorough search and I'll definitely figure something out.

Lord Vukodlak
2021-03-27, 11:33 PM
You can cast moonbeam with limited wish at level 14, without any multi-class

Where’s limited wish in 5e?

Witty Username
2021-03-28, 12:20 AM

Genie Warlock capstone.

Lunatism
2021-03-28, 12:22 AM

It's genie warlock's 14th level class feature, page 73 of TCE.

Theodoxus
2021-03-28, 09:33 AM
1 moonbeam every 1d4 days? At 14th level? hardly a solution...

I know you'd rather not, but I'd ask your DM. I'd be perfectly ok with swapping out the base Genie spell Phantasmal Force for Moonbeam.