PDA

View Full Version : Mirror of Mental Prowess mind reading question

schreier
2021-03-28, 08:15 AM
One of the powers of the Mirror of Mental Prowess is:
"Read the thoughts of any creature reflected therein, as long as the owner is within 25 feet of the mirror, even if those thoughts are in an unknown language."

How do you work this?

- Does "any creature reflected there" mean physically present in front of the mirror, or does it include the creatures being viewed through the clairvoyance ability? (my first thought was to include the creatures being viewed, but now I'm not sure)

- Is it automatic with no save? (I guess?)

- Is it subject to SR? (Probably?)

- Does mindblank stop it? (Seems like a definite yes but just confirming)

- If it is is another language, it seems like you understand it - do you also realize it is in another language, and do you know what language? (I think you understand it, and probably recognize it is a different language, but only know which language if you know it)

- Is it just surface thoughts? (I would think so)

A lot of these are DM interpretation I'm sure, but I'm curious if there are clear rules, and if no clear rules, then how people use them.

Thanks!

Bugbear
2021-03-28, 03:20 PM
Well, just make that line say:

Read the thoughts of any creature reflected therein, as per the spell detect thoughts, as long as the creature controlling the mirror is within 25 feet of the mirror.

Makes sense as detect thoughts is needed to make the mirror.

Kelb_Panthera
2021-03-28, 03:32 PM
One of the powers of the Mirror of Mental Prowess is:
"Read the thoughts of any creature reflected therein, as long as the owner is within 25 feet of the mirror, even if those thoughts are in an unknown language."

How do you work this?

Let's look.

- Does "any creature reflected there" mean physically present in front of the mirror, or does it include the creatures being viewed through the clairvoyance ability? (my first thought was to include the creatures being viewed, but now I'm not sure)

I would say anyone with direct line of sight to the mirror's reflective surface and isn't invisible can have their thoughts read. I would not allow it to work through the clairvoyance power since they're not being reflected in the mirror but displayed through the mirror.

- Is it automatic with no save? (I guess?)

No save is mentioned and it doesn't reference a specific spell so it would seem so.

- Is it subject to SR? (Probably?)

Again, it's not mentioned and neither is any specific spell effect so it would seem not.

- Does mindblank stop it? (Seems like a definite yes but just confirming)

Definitely. Nondetection too, on a failed CL check. The device is producing divination effects and has a CL to make the check with. I'd also rule that it can be misdirected by other, similar warding magics that are used to foil divinations of this nature.

- If it is is another language, it seems like you understand it - do you also realize it is in another language, and do you know what language? (I think you understand it, and probably recognize it is a different language, but only know which language if you know it)

I would say no to this. You can hear the thoughts in whatever language they're in but if you don't know that language, then you're not magically given any understand of what you're hearing.

- Is it just surface thoughts? (I would think so)

Of course. Unless the effect mentions reading memory, it can't do that. It can only read surface thoughts.

A lot of these are DM interpretation I'm sure, but I'm curious if there are clear rules, and if no clear rules, then how people use them.

Naturally. I think my positions best reflect both the precedent set by other effects in the same vein and a relatively strict reading of the rules as they are presented but YMMV with other GMs.

Thanks!

Always happy to help. :smallsmile: