PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ideas for dnd 5e parties to draw

Rfkannen
2021-03-28, 04:06 PM
This is not what this forum usually is for, but I am doing an art exercise, and I need dnd parties to draw.

I am looking for groups of 3 characters, built using 5e rules, that would make a good balanced party in a real campaign.

So for example:
High elf bladesinger wizard with the archeologist background
Lightfoot halfling Assassin Rouge with the noble background
Goliath peace cleric with the criminal background.

Not looking to draw people's actual dnd characters, just the mechanics.

Anyone have any ideas?

Guy Lombard-O
2021-03-28, 05:36 PM
I have been working on some art exercises, and got to one where I am supposed to design trios of characters that look different (with a focus on shape language), but I have run out of ideas for characters lol.

I thought it would be fun to combine my love of art and my love of dnd, and use dnd characters for the exercise! In particular, I thought it would be fun to design ones that 1) use the actual classes, subclasses, and races published in 5e and, 2) would be an actually balanced party that work well together in the rules of 5e.

I am looking for stuff like, for example: High elf evocation wizard , dwarf champion fighter, halfling thief rogue.

Anyone have any fun ideas for dnd parties that would work together well in a real game I could draw?

I'm currently in a party with a triton conquest paladin, a tortle tempest cleric, and a sea elf bladesinger/rogue. All are devout worshipers of the god eadro.

Wraith
2021-03-28, 05:52 PM
"Balanced" party might be a bit of a stretch, but I can tell you about the three parties that I am/have recently been in? :smalltongue:

Party 1:
Pharos; Male Minotaur Conquest Paladin, worshipper of Valkur (Sailor background)
Eren; Female Dragonborn Pact of the Chain Warlock (Scholar background)
Anji; Male Tabaxi Life Cleric, worshipper of Ilmater (Acolyte background)

Party 2:
Vaclav; Male Vampire (Planeshift: Zendikar) Celestial Tomelock (Vizier background)
Ha-so; Female Halfling Swashbuckler Rogue/Artificer Artillerist (Pirate background)
Sir Kiporous; Male Human Oath of the Crown Paladin (Knight of the Order background)

Party 3:
Grunor Ironbeard; Male Mountain Dwarf Cleric of the Forge, worshipper of Moradin (Haunted One background)
Iolas; Male Winged Tiefling Artificer/Artillerist (Soldier background)
Ta'ak; Male Grung Hunter Ranger (Outsider background)

BoutsofInsanity
2021-03-28, 06:03 PM
Here we go the Adventuring Group "Howling Drakes". 6 man adventuring team 15th level.

The Face of the Howling Drakes

Kisa Kusuvo - Black human female with braided hair and an eye-patch. A constant mischievous smirk adorns her face and the leader of the adventuring party "Howling Drakes." The intelligent commander demands excellence from her team and outwits her enemies with superior planning and quick thinking. A Battle Master Fighter / 3 level Rogue with Alert, Keen Mind, Skilled, Prodigy as her core build. Fights with whatever weapon will do the job. She is late 30's.

Benjamin "Benji" Thrashtusk - A gay half-orc who is the right hand commander of Kisa Kusuvo. A large physical specimen. His athleticism and brutal fighting style is only matched by his clear eyed wisdom and investigative prowess. He has never met a lock he couldn't pick, a trap to disable, or a person to disarm. The mama bear of the group he will be damned if anything were to happen to his battle brethren. Him and Kisa go way back. He fights with Knives and hand axes, preferring to grapple in close before shanking his opponent. He loves his cigars and wears special goggles for thieving.

Salve - A young red tiefling paladin of the god of sun, mercy, and fire. While fit, he isn't as strong as his other companions preferring to fight with spear and bow. A sensitive soul, he struggles with battling his insecurities stemming from his mistreatment as a squire. This can lead to him behaving introverted and shy. But once battle is joined, his will, speed, and unbreakable zeal for the love of fellow man shines through as a beacon. Inspiring those around him. A Paladin of mercy. The most powerful of the group, but requires psychological support. His eloquence when forced into a formal setting is unmatched and when relaxed, his natural charisma shines through. A true believer in heroes and righteousness. Black hair and a kind face. His faith is his most important attribute.

The fighting backbone of the Howling Drakes

Thormagunder Granitebeard - An older Male Dwarven slayer who eschews armor wearing only an orange Mohawk, beard and pants who fights only to find a powerful enough enemy to die to. Having behaved cowardly in the past, this barbarian dwarf beserker rages into battle eschewing all defense to either kill or be killed. While holding great sorrow, he grimly marches forward, a being of grit and thistle. This old dwarf has come to care for the younger members of the group, and holds Kisa and Benji in high regard. Declaring them Dwarf Friends and will die to preserve their lives. Powerful, squat, and strong. Wielding his grandfather's axe into battle.

Cassandra Crassendoral - Female Young Elf-Bladesinger Wizard - An anti-mage and powerful swords women Cassandra is all lean muscle built upon years and years of training. Specializing in countering enemy magics with her own, she is just as adapt at skwering her opponents with her family sword. A slender piercing blade. Dueling champion 3 years running, she is competitive, fierce, and an athlete. Beautiful in a sharp athletic sense, her main feminine trait is her blond hair that she french braids on special occasions. Master of both sword and magic, she is the most talented and hardworking of the group.

Rei "Rock" Coppervein - A female Young Gnome - Rock enjoys the quiet outdoors, the birds and trees. And smashing her foes in combat. A powerful Earth Druid "Rock" get's fierce and competitive in the heat of the battle. Grinning wildly as she shatters the earth beneath her enemies feet. Out of battle, she is never far from her low tin whistle, it's haunting melody calming her companions nerves. Her wisdom presents itself in straightforward talk, always cutting to the heart of the matter, even when inconvenient. Favoring a wild pixie cut of many different colors for her hair, the druid loves her adventuring group and always watches out for Salve when he get's in his depressed moods. She has a strong friendship with Thormagunder and will be sad when he finally dies.

Rfkannen
2021-03-28, 07:41 PM
I'm currently in a party with a triton conquest paladin, a tortle tempest cleric, and a sea elf bladesinger/rogue. All are devout worshipers of the god eadro.

Sounds like a fun party!!

side note, it is REALLY HARD to make sea elves not look like drow lol

https://i.imgur.com/QHILneS.png

JNAProductions
2021-03-28, 08:15 PM
Let's see...

A party I'm running a game for consists of:

Zopha, The Mountain Monk
Goliath Monk//Barbarian//Fighter
Big lady, cares a lot, direct.

Nina, Mistress Of Puppets
Human Bard//Sorceress//Warlock
Uses puppets for all her buffing and some other abilities.

Mazigura, Priestess Of Noxala
Bugbear Ranger//Druid//Cleric
Lanky-limbed and full of sagely advice from her goddess.

Kaylee, The Tank
Half-Orc Barbarian//Druid//Rogue
Gruff, tough, and a former smuggler.

Along with their supporting cast:

Lilla, Their Daughter
A mindstealer dragon (Illithid-Dragon hybrid) who was raised pretty much from birth by the four above. Still small, about the size of a large dog. Occasionally (not as much anymore) wears the costume of the legendary PARTY HORSE! (DC 30 Perform check was hit by Nina early on, telling the tale of Party Horse.)

Dyr, Zopha's Goat
Dyr is Zopha's goat. She's staying with...

Martin Binkley, The Man Of Many Pockets
The man who roped them into a lot of adventure, he was noted for having many pockets in his outfit. Now on the run from his former magic instructor, he stays low, but still checks in on the group to let them know Dyr is well.

Ira, Alden Leader And Zopha's Lover
A leader of green-skinned plant people, she's accepting of Lilla (along with her people) and is likely to be Zopha's wife, assuming they both survive the campaign.

Jonny Atma, Bard And Resistance Leader
A talented and charming human bard, he's been spreading the good word of the party to the various people of the city-state.

And, of course, their numerous foes!

Xerth, Encarmine Monk
A monk Illithid, and their first real foe. Lilla's biological mother, but not her real mom in any significant way. Got her tush whooped by them a few times, but is still a good threat.

The Magister Of Elmton
A big man, and a bigger mage-he's working with Xerth for his nefarious purposes.

King Edward The First
A gaunt, sallow-skinned man and ruler of the city-state. Working closely, or so they suspect, with...

Palkter, The Necromancer
A long-dead (not that it stopped him) necromancer, and the sinister force behind what's going wrong with the world, from undead risings to warring peoples.

I obviously don't expect you to draw all this, or any of it, really. But should you decide to draw any part of the Lesbian Disasters or their friends/foes, I'd really appreciate it! And I bet the party would too.

Hope you find good inspiration from all us here!

Wizard_Lizard
2021-03-29, 03:04 PM
Tabaxi Conjurer Wizard - Charlatan background
Changeling Living Weapon Monk - Hermit background
Warforged (Bone golem looking one) Death Cleric - Sage background.

whateew
2021-03-30, 06:32 AM
With the current release of Tasha's, there are a lot of features now that let you see in magical darkness. I thought making a party centred around that would make for a very fun concept, and the art would be pretty stellar too.

A watcher paladin with blindsight - perhaps a drow, leaning into this "watcher" vibe of otherworldly with a lot of eyes of nazar (the blue evil eye). They have a white silk blindfold on.

A GOO warlock (maybe half elf, drow?), with eyes that glow with a purple light (seeing through magical darkness)

And then your choice of a third. Perhaps a stars druid or twilight cleric, who could be a v. human touched by the GOO, also with devil sight.

They could all be centred on a dark backdrop, evocative of magical darkness, and could share a purple theme (but with some differences - the paladin has striking silver armour perhaps with purple eyes, the warlock wears dark robes with a purple magical glow, and the stars druid has white lights that shine on their body?)

I dunno, I think it sounds neat

KorvinStarmast
2021-03-30, 09:31 AM
I am looking for groups of 3 characters, built using 5e rules, that would make a good balanced party in a real campaign. We had

a vHuman Ranger(Gloom Stalker, Criminal/Spy background),
a Tabaxi Cleric(Nature Domain, Outlander Background),
a Bronze Dragonborn Paladin(Devotion, Soldier Background)

when we went to Chult to to ToA. Worked out pretty well.
We eventually added a Half Elf Bard(Lore, Sailor Background).

Guy Lombard-O
2021-03-30, 04:03 PM

https://i.imgur.com/QHILneS.png

That's awesome! Thanks so much!!!

KorvinStarmast
2021-03-30, 04:56 PM

https://i.imgur.com/QHILneS.png Give their hair green and blue highlights, likewise their skin shading.