PDA

View Full Version : If i am not attuned can i use an instrument of the bard

Amdy_vill
2021-03-28, 09:15 PM
So this line makes me think that the instrument of the bard falls into the exception on the normal rule. " A creature that attempts to play the instrument without being attuned to it must succeed on a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw or take 2d4 psychic damage."

what do other people think

prototype00
2021-03-28, 10:07 PM
So this line makes me think that the instrument of the bard falls into the exception on the normal rule. " A creature that attempts to play the instrument without being attuned to it must succeed on a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw or take 2d4 psychic damage."

what do other people think

You can use it (with the risks above) to strum out a tune based on your performance skill.

But I see nothing in that proviso that circumvents the attunement rules.

Composer99
2021-03-29, 03:37 AM
You can use it (with the risks above) to strum out a tune based on your performance skill.

But I see nothing in that proviso that circumvents the attunement rules.

I concur. In particular, the use of the word "attempts" pretty clearly establishes that the text of that sentence is not setting up a contradiction with the general rules of attunement, but rather an additional effect. At least, IMO.

Maan
2021-03-29, 03:44 AM
I concur with those above.
Seems to me more like a situation were: person finds the instrument without realizing it's magical, tries to play it and gets zapped.