PDA

View Full Version : What tools would you use to make cheese?

nickl_2000
2021-03-29, 10:28 AM
A somewhat odd question, but my Ratlike Wildhunt Shifter is going to be obsessed with trying new cheeses and wants to spread how to make cheese to everyone and get everyone to try different cheeses.

What tool proficiency would it be to make cheeses, any clue? Anyone actually make cheese that they would know?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2021-03-29, 10:37 AM
Fabricate (https://www.dndbeyond.com/spells/fabricate) is what you're looking for.

Dork_Forge
2021-03-29, 10:39 AM
Err, cooking utensils or at a push brewer's supplies?

nickl_2000
2021-03-29, 10:39 AM
Fabricate (https://www.dndbeyond.com/spells/fabricate) is what you're looking for.

Hard to get that on a Ranger :smallbiggrin:

5eNeedsDarksun
2021-03-29, 10:40 AM
Doesn't a 1 level dip in Hexblade qualify as the most cheesy?

stoutstien
2021-03-29, 10:42 AM
A somewhat odd question, but my Ratlike Wildhunt Shifter is going to be obsessed with trying new cheeses and wants to spread how to make cheese to everyone and get everyone to try different cheeses.

What tool proficiency would it be to make cheeses, any clue? Anyone actually make cheese that they would know?

Good question. I would say any combination of brewer, cook, or alchemist would work depending on what step of cheese making they enjoy the most. OTOH I would just ask the DM how cheese is made in a given setting beforehand.

nickl_2000
2021-03-29, 10:43 AM
Doesn't a 1 level dip in Hexblade qualify as the most cheesy?

Nope, that's the coffeelock

Composer99
2021-03-29, 10:45 AM
Dunno how accurate this is, but this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlQZ3NPnoLk&vl=en - might be of help.

I would say proficiency with cooking utensils would be fine, although you'd probably need a modified set of those tools to make cheeses.

Dalinar
2021-03-29, 01:02 PM
As long as we're making cheese jokes, one of those high-speed grapplers with Spike Growth will make a great gouda grater.

But yeah, I'm thinking maybe a homebrew tool is in order here, as a typical cook's utensils set includes a pot, knives, forks, a stirring spoon, and a ladle, per Xanathar's. Not sure you can make cheese with that, though I plead ignorance on the subject.

EDIT: Actually, Google is telling me that the cook's utensils aren't far off, provided you can find some milk (simple enough), a strainer (also probably not hard), and a bacterial culture (probably a good bit harder, but your character, being a cheese nerd, probably knows a way to introduce one even if you as the player don't).

JellyPooga
2021-03-29, 01:20 PM
You can make super basic, fresh cheeses such as mozzarella and cottage cheese, with nothing more than a bowl and your hands if you're in a pinch (...and the ingredients, of course; mostly just milk and some kind of acid).

If you want to be a little more hygienic and efficient, then spoon(s), cloth/muslin and some string is about all you'll need to do it better. A sieve/strainer is optional.

For more complex cheeses, they require maturation and that (largely speaking) is going to need a stationary place to mature. You could carry cheese with you while it matures, but a stable temperature and humidity is pretty key to reliably making decent cheese. Otherwise you'll usually just end up with rotten milk. Caves are good cheese territory (famously; Cheddar), but any facsimile of a similar environment will do. I imagine access to the Demiplane spell would be perfect for the cheesemaker on-the-go.

For these more complex cheeses, you'll want to add things like syringes (if you want to make blue cheese), paddles (to shape it), core-bores (to test the maturation), to mention a few additional tools of the trade, as well as a whole host of large, cumbersome equipment like temperature gauges, a barometer, humidifiers, shelves to store the cheese and so forth.

Unoriginal
2021-03-29, 01:29 PM

Cook's Utensils proficiency.

Kane0
2021-03-29, 04:54 PM
After a few minutes searching it doesn't seem to be much more than basic cookery equipment.
Some milk, a way to strain/press/separate it, a place to store it are the basics. Animal skins and organs are an option if you don't have a cellar or cave on hand.
Oh and probably some salt too.

Edit: If you want to master the art then you'd probably be looking at cooking prof/expertise as well as something like herbalism or alchemy to 'spice it up'

nickl_2000
2021-03-29, 05:16 PM
After a few minutes searching it doesn't seem to be much more than basic cookery equipment.
Some milk, a way to strain/press/separate it, a place to store it are the basics. Animal skins and organs are an option if you don't have a cellar or cave on hand.
Oh and probably some salt too.

Edit: If you want to master the art then you'd probably be looking at cooking prof/expertise as well as something like herbalism or alchemy to 'spice it up'

The animal skins and organs is actually going to be one of his things, trying different milks and runners from different creatures that he finds

Kane0
2021-03-29, 05:21 PM
Being a Lizardfolk might be a bit of an advantage actually.

nickl_2000
2021-03-29, 05:36 PM
Being a Lizardfolk might be a bit of an advantage actually.

Probably, but I want to play a shifter :)

Droppeddead
2021-03-30, 02:53 AM
Yeah, cooking utensils would probably be best for this. :)

Mastikator
2021-03-30, 03:25 AM
Dunno how accurate this is, but this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlQZ3NPnoLk&vl=en - might be of help.

I would say proficiency with cooking utensils would be fine, although you'd probably need a modified set of those tools to make cheeses.

Yeah I'd say either cooking utensils or brewers kit will do the job based only on that video and my own experience with brewing beer/cider.

Clistenes
2021-03-30, 04:31 AM
You don't need special utensils to make cheese; you could make it with a couple wooden buckets and little more..

What you need is the knowledge of how to do it.

I would say that either the Farmer Background or the Cooking Tools Proficiency would do...

In a pinch, I think the Nature or Animal Handling proficiencies could be used to justify knowing how to make cheese, so long as you explain how it does apply ("my parents were shepherds...").

nickl_2000
2021-03-30, 06:39 AM
You don't need special utensils to make cheese; you could make it with a couple wooden buckets and little more..

What you need is the knowledge of how to do it.

I would say tha either the Farmer Background or the Cooking Tools Proficiency would do...

In a pinch, I think the Nature or Animal Handling proficiencies could be used to justify knowing how to make cheese, so long as you explain how it does apply ("my parents were shepherds...").

Right now the background I have for this character is that his parents owned a cheese shop which sold unique and different cheeses. Their recipes were stolen by the House Ghallanda, forcing them out of business. Now that he is older, his brother and him are trying to create a new business with different cheese blends in Marketplace. His job in the business is to search out new sources of milk, rennet, and herbs that will create new and unique cheeses for the new shop.

As such, he is a ranger trained in cook's utensils, alchemist's supplies, nature, animal handling, and survival. I think I have things covered pretty well from proficiencies :smallbiggrin: