PDA

View Full Version : The Black Sheep (An Empire! Call of the World Event)

Gaius Hermicus
2021-03-29, 04:41 PM
Upon arriving at the borders of the gnoll-occupied region, the delegates from the kingdoms of Drenath are led to a narrow chasm in the hills, dark and forbidding. Through wandering tunnels of cold grey rock, interspersed with clusters of glittering quartz crystals, the gnolls lead them to a wide cavern, its roof spiky with stalactites. Within the cavern is a vast tent of red fabric, its corners marked with tangled masses of iron.

Inside the tent, a pair of torches are set into crude stands, flanking a gnoll seated upon a metal chair, with a semicircle of other chairs around it . Unlike the other Flesh-Reavers, this gnoll wears steel armor, tailored clothes, and has its claws clipped short, like human fingernails. On a table between the chairs sits a miniature chessboard, which the gnoll is intently focused upon, its brow furrowed with concentration.

“Ah, welcome,” says the gnoll, its voice as harsh as any other’s, but its grasp of the common tongue surprisingly refined. “I am called Kree’ghaar’kh of the Embroidered Banner. It pleases me to see that you all showed the good sense to respond to my invitation. Please, sit. May I offer you wine, or a light meal, perhaps?”

HalfTangible
2021-03-29, 06:40 PM
When the gnoll's letter had first arrived, Chastain had advised Camille to ignore it. There was no point in trying to negotiate with such utter savages, more animal than being. They had slaughtered the people of [148] for no other reason than to prove their strength, and they had shown no mercy to the second regiment. Negotiating now would not only be from a position of weakness, but it would legitimize the actions of the Packmother. They needed to march on the gnolls, show that they'd made a mistake invading Drenath, and take vengeance for those they had slaughtered. Moreover, the gnolls were now fortifying [148]; if they waited they would have an even harder time digging them out.

But Camille had pointed out that the gnolls had occupied the land for years now, and the best time to push them back would've been before they gained a solid foothold in [148]. She was perfectly willing to not only fight but die for Chanson, and have her song echo in glory. But the gnolls' desire to talk meant an opportunity to learn about why they had come here. Moreover, she argued, the news that the swarm had resurfaced in [115] meant that vengeance on the gnolls could not be a priority. While yes, they were an immediate threat, if they could be turned aside or made to wait, it would allow Drenath time to fight back the swarm.

The two had fought, loudly and publicly. It had ended poorly, but Camille had gotten her desire; she was going to speak with the gnolls. Chastain made it clear, however, that nothing she agreed to would be binding; he reserved every right to kill the gnolls no matter what happened. And he had also told her that if she were taken, he would not save her.

So when the red tiefling walked into the gnoll's camp, it was with one hand on her blade and with a nervous twitch to her tail... but with a bright, cheery smile. There was strain in that smile, but she was good at keeping a lid on it.

"I'd prefer to remain sober, if you don't mind."

Zayuz
2021-03-31, 02:42 AM
The Gnolls had called for a diplomatic meeting! Excited whispers had circulated through the upper echelon of the university, with most in agreement that this was very possible the start of the best case scenario - settling their differences through productive and rational discourse. Perhaps the Flesh Reavers could fight the swarm for payment instead of sacking villages, or come to some agreement at the very least that the land along and adjacent to the southern coast was not to be disturbed lest there be further fireballs to show for it.

But something wasn’t quite right. What was known of the Reavers is that they tended to be blatant and unapologetic, a secret diplomatic meeting was so contrary to the mages’ understanding of their demeanour. Really, it was a fascinating development.

Two wizards arrive, both in esoteric black robes with a white sigil on their backs and their sleeves. The two are different, but a host as refined as this (or those generally familiar with Manastone) know that these marking represent the head of their faculty. The militant head of Abjuration leads the way, a Namari of raven black hair with white horns and a steel physique, and a smaller character follows behind her: still a Namari, but one with an unnaturally coloured mane of aquamarine blue hair and violet horns - she seems to be more animated than her companion despite her abnormally pale skim, and takes one of the seats happily. The war-mage stands beside her, silent for now. Both women shimmer with the faint glow of physical protection spells. The Necromancer speaks: “Greetings on behalf of Manastone, and thank you for inviting us Kree’gharr’kh! I do not believe we have shared words with the Embroidered Banner before, but we are very pleased to meet over a meal instead of a battlefield. I am Jin Xen, head of Necromancy at Manastone University, and I for one would love a drink. Whites work better for me if you have them, but I don’t think that my company will be having any either way.” The Abjuration wizard shakes her head; studying the chess board with a stoic stare.

Volthawk
2021-04-01, 10:23 AM
The diplomatic invitation from the Flesh-Reavers had even surprised Paralith. Sure, he had been working on closer ties with the Reavers, but until now it had been rather less formal than events and invitations. Intriguing. Naturally, he had no reason to turn down the offer, and had little reason to distrust the offer of safety - the dealings he'd had so far suggested to him that they would do as they said they would (for the Carcuni, at least), and if things got ugly he felt like the Carcini could handle themselves well against them. At first, the thought had come to mind to send Cassivel, whose attitude and focus was closer to that of the gnolls, but in the end Paralith went himself, the situation being unusual enough that he felt like he had to see what was going on himself, along with the simple fact that he didn't quite trust that Cassivel would make agreements that perfectly lined with the greater plan for Carcinidan (as a military leader, the man did well, had adapted to the new way of doing things, and Paralith trusted him to handle military matters well, but he still had the impetuous heart and hunger for conflict that guided most Carcini warriors). He didn't come alone, of course, accompanied by a small group of advisors and warriors - he may trust the gnolls, but that was no reason to come unguarded, and such retinues were a routine part of how Carcini lords travelled in any case. He also came armed and armoured, decked out in his best wargear, but anyone who has spent any time around the Carcini would know that this was more like a more traditional noble coming to an event in fine clothing or dress uniforms than a statement of distrust or a statement of violent intent.

Looking at their host, the pieces start to come together for Paralith. Perhaps this gnoll was someone like himself, who had some vision beyond the similar drives that propelled the two races. This seemed like someone who he could work with. As he considers the situation, he nods in response to the gnoll's invitation. "We have been travelling for a while. Food and drink would be a good start to...whatever we are doing here. You've managed to get a lot of people curious about your plans here." Glancing to either side, he notes the other attendees with interest. Representatives from the nations that had have the most antagonistic relations with the Flesh-Reavers had also arrived, and presumably people from more neutral nations would be arriving soon. This was looking to be an interesting meeting.

SerakHawk
2021-04-03, 06:12 PM
Raine Silvermane was in a terrible mood. Not only had she been sent away to visit the 'reavers', the mad beasts who had plundered and raided and killed people all across Drenath after massacring villages just a few years back, but she had been sent in her Father's place. Her father who was preparing to fight a greater threat - The Swarm. Tired from her travel with very little rest and only the entourage who could keep up with her Raine travelled with utmost haste to make it to the meeting.

While finally being lead through the caverns and making it to the red tent she did her best to temper her anger. The sleek silver-coated fox slips into the tent after her father's friend Paralith. Noticing the topic was on food her attempts to quell her temper failed and the hair along the back of her spine rose on end.

"No, I did not come here to share pleasantries. I came here because my Father, who is out there preparing to fight a threat to all of us - the returning swarm, bade me to in his stead. I would be there with him, at his side, preparing our forces and being involved in defending Drenath from the swarm, but instead I am here" she almost spat the word as she spoke it "with you, being offered food and wine. Wine! Something many people will never be able to enjoy because they are about to die to protect your lands, your people. Your.... your comforts."

Pausing she circles in place before forcing her hackles down and taking a deep breath.

"So no sir, I will not be taking your offerings. I am here to hear what you have to say and to hurry back to my Father's side. If it isn't too late by the time I return."

Gaius Hermicus
2021-04-05, 08:14 AM
Kree’ghar’kh smiles broadly, their sharp teeth gleaming. He reaches behind them into a hollow barrel, pulling out a bottle of fine white wine. "An excellent vintage, I assure you. A set of crystal flutes comes out of the barrel next, delicate and clear. Kree'ghar'kh pours the wine and offers a flute to each delegate, shrugging placidly at those who reject the offer. Sipping their own drink, they look calmly around the table. "Now then. Unless there are any more pleasantries to dispense with, let us get on to the purpose of this meeting. You, the kingdoms of Drenath, have fought against us in the past." He quickly waves aside any complaints. "Not all of you, of course, but I am sorry to tell you that the others on the Council of Tattered Banners do not see things in quite such a nuanced way. At this moment, they rage against the mages of Manastone University and the bards of Chanson - but on the morrow, who will be the target of their fury? Carcidinian? The Companion Collective? The Acorn Kingdom? The Flesh-Reavers are unpredictable by nature, and all of you need fear their anger.

Unless you side with me.

I recognize the necessity of diplomacy, whereas the others do not. While the Salvage Den is under construction, these hills are neutral ground, free to be looted by any who desire it - and more show up every day. Once it is complete, however, the number of gnolls will decrease, and I will be able to strike. I can claim the Salvage Den for myself and take command of affairs relating to Drenath, and I think you will find me more amicable than my counterparts on the Council. But you must cease all your hostilities against our organization and our forces in this region until the base is complete, or I shall not be able to guarantee your safety any longer. Allow the Embroidered Banner to fly over the hills, or risk the Bloodstained Banner over your own kingdoms. The choice is yours."

HalfTangible
2021-04-05, 10:39 AM
Maybe the Seigneur was right to think this was a waste of time.

"Did you offer the people of [148] this same chance before you butchered them in their own homes?" Camille growled. "Your 'Embrodiered Banner' is already stained with blood, do not pretend otherwise."

"You come here before us now and demand we stop resisting your invasion or you'll make us. That's not diplomacy, that's an ultimatum. One we have no reason to accept. When your base is complete, you can simply take what you will."

SerakHawk
2021-04-05, 01:48 PM
Raine internally seethed at the nonchalance of the flesh-reaver. Recalling the words her father told her about 'diplomacy' she put on an impassive face.

"I am inclined to agree with the representative from Chanson, this is less a diplomatic deal and more an ultimatum. What assurances can you give? Does it take but one of Drenath to break your 'ultimatum'? What support or aid will you give us if we 'side with you' as you put it. I will hear you out if you have more to say, but if you have no more than threats then my time here is wasted and I will return to my father's side."

Volthawk
2021-04-05, 03:30 PM
Paralith didn't speak up immediately, considering the responses of the Chanson and Collective representatives and thinking through a plan before speaking. "While my dealings with your people have been fair so far, it is reasonable that the others would have...misgivings. I had heard similar sentiments about the Carcini from some in Drenath in the early days when I forged Carcinidan - not from those these people represent, but from some of the smaller, more local groups who had...less than ideal encounters with the more aggressive warriors of my people." More than a few of the smaller settlements in the east of Drenath had suffered from a lone Carcinus or a wandering warband deciding they needed more of something and that the local people were just the right source, their size, strength and warrior culture putting them in good stead as brigands and outlaws - something Paralith had put his effort to stopping, and fixing when it came to his attention, but something in the back of many people's names when they saw his people. Things were turning around, but it was another way in which Paralith felt a sort of understanding towards Kree’ghaar’kh and what he was attempting here.

"If my people can make something lasting and peaceful when given the opportunity, I don't see why we shouldn't afford Kree’ghaar’kh the same opportunity - after all, I imagine between the people of Chanson and the mages of the University keeping a close watch on the gnolls, it won't be hard to notice if they break their word, in which case things won't be much different to how they are now, with dead on each side and lands ravaged by conflict. If anything, you will be in a stronger position than you were before, having time yourself to prepare and the assistance of those, like myself, who did not or could not get involved with the first battle but would be compelled to join through the Flesh-Reavers also betraying them. In fact, we could make that a part of the agreement - as well as anything we agree with Kree’ghaar’kh, we could make a treaty between us all that if they should break the agreement against any of us, we treat it as a declaration of war against all of us, and collectively use our combined military force to wipe them from the continent." He pauses, looking specifically at Kree’ghaar’kh, wanting to make his next statement very clear. "Regardless of if that happens, and in spite of my efforts to form ties with the gnolls, I am willing to state it plainly now that this is where I will stand on future agreements - I do not take betrayal kindly, and no prior alliance will stand in the way of responding to aggression against my people with the most force my people can muster."

Looking back around at the other representatives, he comes into his final point, one he thought would be quite effective against at least one of the representatives."Additionally, as Raine has already spoke of, the Swarm has arrived here." He didn't have the same fear of the monsters as those whose people lived through Infestation Day, which perhaps had influenced his more patient response, but he knew that the name had an impact. "I, for one, am preparing my forces and increasing the numbers of warriors I have under my control - when they are ready, meeting the Swarm in battle will still be a challenge, let alone if Drenath is also dealing with a war between the Flesh-Reavers and the nations who oppose them. If one warfront can be dealt with immediately, allowing for us to focus on the other threat in the years to come, then surely that is for the best? However, Kree’ghaar’kh, they are right. Details will need to be heard before any agreements are made."

Epinephrine_Syn
2021-04-06, 01:16 AM
Bubbles had been standing quietly in the corner. SheÂ’d decided to be six and a half feet tall today. Being tall was good for negotiations, or so she was told. Pushing her glasses slash goggles up for the ninth time, she finally put down her pen and took a step forward. It was the first sound sheÂ’d made since she got here, and it was just footsteps. Quietly she placed a note on the table, and in the same motion slid a letter to KreeÂ’ghaarÂ’kh.

As sheÂ’d come to the middle of the room, the fact that she was glowing brighter than any other torch became apparent, at least the scant few parts of her skin that werenÂ’t covered by gloves, mask, hat, coat, other hat, etc. She quickly withdrew and pulled the glove back over the part of her exposed skin from her motion to put it on the table. Quickly after a second, one of the accompanying trogs picked up the letter and began to read it, receiving a stern glare from her the whole while.

“Uh, she says- ah, sorry.” The female trog stopped, given this didn’t seem the way she wanted the note to be read, then started again. This time she seemed to take on a different sounding voice altogether. ”Bubbles speaking, representing Acorn Queendom. You propose hostile takeover of Flesh Reavers, in exchange for non interference to grant non interference in turn. Good deal, provided common sense premises met. Others already addressed many.”

The trog girl looked back at her, curtly nodding and placing another paper onto the table. This time she just read it immediately after picking it up, even as her cheeks blushed a fair bit. “Apologies. Aphonia. Mouthpieces required.” ... "... I'm not saying that last part."

The papers remained on the table afterwards, and it was demonstrated that Bubbles handwriting was an elaborate cursive, but moreover a cross between that and print. Finely honed, almost as if it were more legible than standard printed letters.

Request to speak privately.

Proposal Summary: Instead of [i]mere[i] indifference, infusion of funds to bolster takeover.

Will require: Demonstration of capacities in performing coup.
Proof that investment will be worthwhile in some regard; assets, favor, alliance, etc.

If Interested: Return enclosed dollop to my group.

Gaius Hermicus
2021-04-07, 11:17 AM
Maybe the Seigneur was right to think this was a waste of time.

"Did you offer the people of [148] this same chance before you butchered them in their own homes?" Camille growled. "Your 'Embrodiered Banner' is already stained with blood, do not pretend otherwise."

"You come here before us now and demand we stop resisting your invasion or you'll make us. That's not diplomacy, that's an ultimatum. One we have no reason to accept. When your base is complete, you can simply take what you will."

Raine internally seethed at the nonchalance of the flesh-reaver. Recalling the words her father told her about 'diplomacy' she put on an impassive face.

"I am inclined to agree with the representative from Chanson, this is less a diplomatic deal and more an ultimatum. What assurances can you give? Does it take but one of Drenath to break your 'ultimatum'? What support or aid will you give us if we 'side with you' as you put it. I will hear you out if you have more to say, but if you have no more than threats then my time here is wasted and I will return to my father's side."

Threats? You misunderstand. I am not the one responsible for this invasion - the Packmother answers directly to the Council of Tattered Banners, of which I am but a single vote. I am not your enemy here, I am your friend! When the Salvage Den is complete, this regions will become the direct domain of a single Flesh-Reaver faction, where the others have no sway. Make this deal with me, and I can seize the Salvage Den for my own faction, and I guarantee you that I am a more amicable ally than my brethren on the Council. Your choice is not between Flesh-Reavers or no Flesh-Reavers, for when the gnolls set their eyes on a prize, they do not fail to obtain it. Your choice is between myself, one who is willing to negotiate and make deals with you, or another, who will seal their conquests in blood. Hold to your principles of resistance if you so desire, but you must be aware of the consequences.

As to your questions, Raine of the Companion Collective, I am, above all else, a pragmatist. In the days before we were crippled by bloodlust and savagery, the Flesh-Reavers survived catastrophe after catastrophe by staying sharp and picking fights only when necessary. Raiders, yes, but reasonable nonetheless. I have no threats nor ultimatums to present you with, only cold, hard facts. If you allow this Salvage Den to be completed, I shall take it under my dominion, and I shall take no unprovoked hostile action against the kingdoms of Drenath. That is my offer to you. Furthermore, you will make an ally among the Flesh-Reavers, an ally on your doorstep and willing to make further agreements with you to aid you in times when you need assistance. Such as the arrival of the Swarm. Reflect on that, if you will.

Paralith didn't speak up immediately, considering the responses of the Chanson and Collective representatives and thinking through a plan before speaking. "While my dealings with your people have been fair so far, it is reasonable that the others would have...misgivings. I had heard similar sentiments about the Carcini from some in Drenath in the early days when I forged Carcinidan - not from those these people represent, but from some of the smaller, more local groups who had...less than ideal encounters with the more aggressive warriors of my people." More than a few of the smaller settlements in the east of Drenath had suffered from a lone Carcinus or a wandering warband deciding they needed more of something and that the local people were just the right source, their size, strength and warrior culture putting them in good stead as brigands and outlaws - something Paralith had put his effort to stopping, and fixing when it came to his attention, but something in the back of many people's names when they saw his people. Things were turning around, but it was another way in which Paralith felt a sort of understanding towards Kree’ghaar’kh and what he was attempting here.

"If my people can make something lasting and peaceful when given the opportunity, I don't see why we shouldn't afford Kree’ghaar’kh the same opportunity - after all, I imagine between the people of Chanson and the mages of the University keeping a close watch on the gnolls, it won't be hard to notice if they break their word, in which case things won't be much different to how they are now, with dead on each side and lands ravaged by conflict. If anything, you will be in a stronger position than you were before, having time yourself to prepare and the assistance of those, like myself, who did not or could not get involved with the first battle but would be compelled to join through the Flesh-Reavers also betraying them. In fact, we could make that a part of the agreement - as well as anything we agree with Kree’ghaar’kh, we could make a treaty between us all that if they should break the agreement against any of us, we treat it as a declaration of war against all of us, and collectively use our combined military force to wipe them from the continent." He pauses, looking specifically at Kree’ghaar’kh, wanting to make his next statement very clear. "Regardless of if that happens, and in spite of my efforts to form ties with the gnolls, I am willing to state it plainly now that this is where I will stand on future agreements - I do not take betrayal kindly, and no prior alliance will stand in the way of responding to aggression against my people with the most force my people can muster."

Looking back around at the other representatives, he comes into his final point, one he thought would be quite effective against at least one of the representatives."Additionally, as Raine has already spoke of, the Swarm has arrived here." He didn't have the same fear of the monsters as those whose people lived through Infestation Day, which perhaps had influenced his more patient response, but he knew that the name had an impact. "I, for one, am preparing my forces and increasing the numbers of warriors I have under my control - when they are ready, meeting the Swarm in battle will still be a challenge, let alone if Drenath is also dealing with a war between the Flesh-Reavers and the nations who oppose them. If one warfront can be dealt with immediately, allowing for us to focus on the other threat in the years to come, then surely that is for the best? However, Kree’ghaar’kh, they are right. Details will need to be heard before any agreements are made."

Thank you for your words of wisdom, Paralith of the Carcinidans. You are quite right, of course: I do not expect you to agree to any deal without definitively knowing the terms. Let me draw them out for you.

Clicking his claws on the table, Kree'ghaar'kh summons a Flesh-Reaver to his side. Ink and parchment, if you please. They run off briefly, before returning with a bottle of dark red ink and a roll of leathery parchment. Kree'ghaar'kh dips one claw into the ink and begins writing in thin, spidery characters. I, Kree'ghaar'kh of the Embroidered Banner, Hordecaller of the Flesh-Reavers, do pledge the following terms to the undersigned peoples of Drenath:

The Flesh-Reavers under my dominion shall take no unprovoked hostile action against these peoples, nor to the regions under their direct control, nor to their merchants and missionaries in uncontrolled territory. Should the undersigned wish to negotiate new terms, or to gain the support of the Flesh-Reavers toward their own goals, they are free to send a representative to me, and this representative's safety shall be guaranteed regardless of the results of their negotiations. Furthermore, using my sway on the Council of Tattered Banners, I shall call off the incursions of Packmother Uraa'ghaagh'kh into the lands of these peoples, which are currently being undertaken in vengeance for the sabotaged Salvage Den. In exchange for these terms, the undersigned nations shall take no further hostile action against the Flesh-Reaver-occupied regions in Drenath, nor interfere with the construction of a new Salvage Den in said land. This agreement shall last until the death of all undersigned representatives.

Does this suit you? asks Kree'ghaar'kh, pausing over the bottom of the page.

Bubbles had been standing quietly in the corner. SheÂ’d decided to be six and a half feet tall today. Being tall was good for negotiations, or so she was told. Pushing her glasses slash goggles up for the ninth time, she finally put down her pen and took a step forward. It was the first sound sheÂ’d made since she got here, and it was just footsteps. Quietly she placed a note on the table, and in the same motion slid a letter to KreeÂ’ghaarÂ’kh.

As sheÂ’d come to the middle of the room, the fact that she was glowing brighter than any other torch became apparent, at least the scant few parts of her skin that werenÂ’t covered by gloves, mask, hat, coat, other hat, etc. She quickly withdrew and pulled the glove back over the part of her exposed skin from her motion to put it on the table. Quickly after a second, one of the accompanying trogs picked up the letter and began to read it, receiving a stern glare from her the whole while.

“Uh, she says- ah, sorry.” The female trog stopped, given this didn’t seem the way she wanted the note to be read, then started again. This time she seemed to take on a different sounding voice altogether. ”Bubbles speaking, representing Acorn Queendom. You propose hostile takeover of Flesh Reavers, in exchange for non interference to grant non interference in turn. Good deal, provided common sense premises met. Others already addressed many.”

The trog girl looked back at her, curtly nodding and placing another paper onto the table. This time she just read it immediately after picking it up, even as her cheeks blushed a fair bit. “Apologies. Aphonia. Mouthpieces required.” ... "... I'm not saying that last part."

The papers remained on the table afterwards, and it was demonstrated that Bubbles handwriting was an elaborate cursive, but moreover a cross between that and print. Finely honed, almost as if it were more legible than standard printed letters.

Request to speak privately.

Proposal Summary: Instead of [i]mere[i] indifference, infusion of funds to bolster takeover.

Will require: Demonstration of capacities in performing coup.
Proof that investment will be worthwhile in some regard; assets, favor, alliance, etc.

If Interested: Return enclosed dollop to my group.

I shall confer privately with you after the public meeting concludes, the Flesh-Reaver general says to Bubbles. But I am inclined to accept your offer.

Volthawk
2021-04-07, 12:07 PM
Paralith nods. Given the deal secured further insurance against his dialogue with the Flesh-Reavers going badly, and forbade action he was unwilling to take anyway, he saw no reason to disagree. "That is agreeable. Also, one other thing. The Carcini are still inclined towards working with your people beyond a simple agreement of neutrality. If assistance like that was offered in previous years is required - whether that is to achieve the goals of the wider Council or your own goals - feel free to approach me again, whether later on here today or on another day. We should be able to work out a deal that works well for us both." Given his focus was currently on cementing Carcinidan as a great power in Drenath, having a closer alliance with the dominant Flesh-Reaver in the continent felt useful.

Epinephrine_Syn
2021-04-07, 12:36 PM
Externally, Bubbles made a thumbs up motion and smiled.

Internally, there was a twinge of annoyance came from the fact that this Gnoll openly responded to her. The implication was that this was to be a quiet affair. But this anger was primarily directed at herself, because she had openly slid a letter to him in the middle of a meeting. Bubbles was not good at subtle. Bubble was good at Science!, and that was the opposite of subtle.

Really, social interaction in general baffled the **** out of her. She couldn’t fathom how everyone keeps doing it for hours on end without collapsing from exhaustion.

Looking over the terms, she squinted. With the goggled, not her eyes (how did those goggles do that?). “They se-, oh whoops. “Terms acceptable, presuming Common Sense applied.” “Seriously your weird stilted mannerisms come off unsettling to people nobody talks like that it comes out smoother if you j-shutting up now.“

The trog girl stepped away from Bubbles approximately two steps more than the one step Bubbles had taken towards her. Bubbles instead picked up the pen and surveyed the contract, ready to sign it.

HalfTangible
2021-04-07, 04:44 PM
Threats? You misunderstand. I am not the one responsible for this invasion - the Packmother answers directly to the Council of Tattered Banners, of which I am but a single vote. I am not your enemy here, I am your friend! When the Salvage Den is complete, this regions will become the direct domain of a single Flesh-Reaver faction, where the others have no sway. Make this deal with me, and I can seize the Salvage Den for my own faction, and I guarantee you that I am a more amicable ally than my brethren on the Council. Your choice is not between Flesh-Reavers or no Flesh-Reavers, for when the gnolls set their eyes on a prize, they do not fail to obtain it. Your choice is between myself, one who is willing to negotiate and make deals with you, or another, who will seal their conquests in blood. Hold to your principles of resistance if you so desire, but you must be aware of the consequences.

As to your questions, Raine of the Companion Collective, I am, above all else, a pragmatist. In the days before we were crippled by bloodlust and savagery, the Flesh-Reavers survived catastrophe after catastrophe by staying sharp and picking fights only when necessary. Raiders, yes, but reasonable nonetheless. I have no threats nor ultimatums to present you with, only cold, hard facts. If you allow this Salvage Den to be completed, I shall take it under my dominion, and I shall take no unprovoked hostile action against the kingdoms of Drenath. That is my offer to you. Furthermore, you will make an ally among the Flesh-Reavers, an ally on your doorstep and willing to make further agreements with you to aid you in times when you need assistance. Such as the arrival of the Swarm. Reflect on that, if you will.

Thank you for your words of wisdom, Paralith of the Carcinidans. You are quite right, of course: I do not expect you to agree to any deal without definitively knowing the terms. Let me draw them out for you.

Clicking his claws on the table, Kree'ghaar'kh summons a Flesh-Reaver to his side. Ink and parchment, if you please. They run off briefly, before returning with a bottle of dark red ink and a roll of leathery parchment. Kree'ghaar'kh dips one claw into the ink and begins writing in thin, spidery characters. I, Kree'ghaar'kh of the Embroidered Banner, Hordecaller of the Flesh-Reavers, do pledge the following terms to the undersigned peoples of Drenath:

The Flesh-Reavers under my dominion shall take no unprovoked hostile action against these peoples, nor to the regions under their direct control, nor to their merchants and missionaries in uncontrolled territory. Should the undersigned wish to negotiate new terms, or to gain the support of the Flesh-Reavers toward their own goals, they are free to send a representative to me, and this representative's safety shall be guaranteed regardless of the results of their negotiations. Furthermore, using my sway on the Council of Tattered Banners, I shall call off the incursions of Packmother Uraa'ghaagh'kh into the lands of these peoples, which are currently being undertaken in vengeance for the sabotaged Salvage Den. In exchange for these terms, the undersigned nations shall take no further hostile action against the Flesh-Reaver-occupied regions in Drenath, nor interfere with the construction of a new Salvage Den in said land. This agreement shall last until the death of all undersigned representatives.

Does this suit you? asks Kree'ghaar'kh, pausing over the bottom of the page.

I shall confer privately with you after the public meeting concludes, the Flesh-Reaver general says to Bubbles. But I am inclined to accept your offer.

"..........."

"Furthermore, using my sway on the Council of Tattered Banners, I shall call off the incursions of Packmother Uraa'ghaagh'kh into the lands of these peoples, which are currently being undertaken in vengeance for the sabotaged Salvage Den."

... There was only one rational response to that.

The bard slowly stood up from her seat. "Seigneur Chastain believed that the gnolls were naught by animals, and that coming here would be a complete waste of notes. Our song would be nothing but the beating drums of war. I came here thinking that my Seigneur was wrong, and that we could lead into a new melody, of strings and harmonies. And you now demand not merely servitude, but recompense for your invasion of Drenath?"

"I already know what Chastain will think of this and even knowing you are not animals, I can't say I'd disagree. This was a waste of time." She growled, before turning to leave the meeting.

Epinephrine_Syn
2021-04-07, 07:00 PM
Bubbles does hesitate a little before signing. She instead writes something on her own paper, even whilst listening to the outburst of a colleague. Stuffing the paper into the trog girl's chest firmly, which made her regret a little being annoyed at the "why are you making me walk to the table to pick it up when you could just hand it to me" behavior from earlier.

"Per Common Sense, the 'Flesh Reavers Under My Dominion' signifier applies bilaterally. Promissory peace is towards Embroidered influence, no further."

Zayuz
2021-04-08, 02:20 AM
All the other people came and said their fill, pushing the points that she found suitable enough mostly to just listen to, nibbling her meal that most others had refused. She found the determined grit of the tiny, adorable familiar especially endearing, unable to help but smile as it did its diplomacy. "It's so cute!" The necromancer whispered to the Abjurer, who merely made a long sigh. She for one felt that this was no smiling matter. ...But no matter, Jin Xen takes a long moment to consider after the offer to sign had been put down - pen in one hand and wine glass in the other - she was certainly tempted, but...

"Undoubtedly, Manastone would rather have your capable presence on Drenath than any of the other Tattered Banners Kree’ghar’kh. It would be to our delight that you apply your talents as a warrior and diplomat among our nations as a... Mercenary, maybe? With the swarm returning it could be quite profitable to armor yourself with the finest you have and stand at the head of their opposition. Their stirrings have only grown - first the dreadfully hot winds and the glow in the north, then from the little contact we've had from the distant land of Kaal, the swarm appearing slow numbers, steadily rising... And now here in bigger numbers. Something is coming! It stirs, and will be upon us yet."

She pauses, standing up and putting a hand on the table before them.
"We would be interested in cooperation with the Embroidered Banner, if you can secure your position here... However, we cannot agree to allow the Flesh-Reavers to loot and kill even people outside our lands in good conscious until then. As you say, you are one vote of many, which leads me to believe that if the other banners choose to act against us you may not stand with them, but you also may not be able to stop them. Not two months ago we had to evict a packmother from our lands after she came to cause damages in revenge for our alleged destruction of your base, but it was a threat that we dealt with accordingly and one that we do not fear facing again. You mentioned that opposing the other banners will merely draw attention to us, make your takeover more difficult, and that the reality of facing the council is the cruelest among the banners coming to loot and pillage our cities - which, as a scholar, I can appreciate is a fact based on a number of precedents. However, there are none better suited to stand up to this savagery than the bright mages and warriors of our time. If we do not attract their attention here, their gaze will travel to other, more helpless people who may feel immeasurable suffering at their hands. With preparation and a bit of luck, we might be able to reduce their numbers such that you may issue your takeover with rival banners brought to justice instead of merely distracted. If - when - their old tactics begin to fail they will look to the future for how they can change, and you can own that future. ...All that to say, I cannot sign this paper in good conscious yet. But I can wish you, Kree’ghar’kh, the very best of luck in your mission to civilize and recreate the Flesh-Reavers in this more mature image. If we are both wise, we will have the opportunity to meet again with greater wealth and influence."

The necromancer raises her class as a silent toast, and downs the remaining third of her wine glass with still a loose smile on her face. Her Abjurer companion looks uneasy.

SerakHawk
2021-04-09, 10:41 AM
Raine had calmed down from her peak of anger and now was just simmering with frustration. Most of the other leaders seemed to have her same concerns and that bolstered her knowing Drenath was mostly united. Clearing her throat, the silver fox tried to poise herself as 'regally' as she could.

"As this agreement is written I am not able to add the Companion Collective's signature. In fact, the way it is written that it lasts the life time of the undersigned is not something I have the authority to agree to. And that is not the only issue with this document. You would have us enter an agreement with your 'Banner' which does not own the territory or control the Flesh-Reavers in Drenath at this time - you expect us to cease hostilities toward those invading us until you gain control? If you do not succeed in leashing this Packmother and she continues to invade at the Council's wishes are we supposed to bend to this, just let the flesh-reavers roam until you have the ability to stop them? If we rightfully resist would it not break our agreement in the eyes of the Flesh-reavers only making your take-over harder as you yourself and my colleagues from Manastone have said?"

Sighing Raine stands up and meets the eyes of Kree'ghaar'kh.

"I believe what you are doing in attempting to reform and change the flesh-reavers is commendable, and you have my support in that much. The damages done to peoples of Drenath and to the Bards of Chanson needs to repaid in some way, and this takes no steps down that path which concerns me for your own souls as well as future activities in Drenath. This can quickly become a stain against you not easily washed away."

Raine looks out the tent exit to the wilderness outside. "I believe I have no need to be here longer, I have heard your piece and am unable to agree to it at this time. I am willing to return to this table to negotiate again once you have some kind of assurances of your control over all the Flesh-Reavers in Drenath. Until then, Good day Kree'ghaar'kh."

Gaius Hermicus
2021-04-09, 12:42 PM
Kree'ghaar'kh surveys the Drenathian delegates, snarling softly under his breath. Finally, he manages to regain his composure and nods slowly. It saddens me to know that you are unwilling to be reasonable. Very well. I will hold to my guarantee of your safety: you are free to go in peace. But I must warn you: if you continue to hamper the Flesh-Reavers' attempts to secure their holdings in these hills, we shall meet again as enemies. I truly am sorry for you. He waves his hand, gesturing to the door. If you will not negotiate, I must ask you to leave. Those who are willing to agree to my terms, or to propose a counteroffer, are welcome to stay as long as they please.

Volthawk
2021-04-09, 02:48 PM
Once those wishing to leave have left, Paralith speaks once more. "I stand by what I said - I will stay committed to any agreements we make here, despite the others. I will not interfere, and am willing to continue providing assistance if necessary."He pauses, looking at Kree'ghaar'kh thoughtfully. "However." This was why he had waited before speaking - he didn't want to undermine his potential new ally in front of those already doubting him. "They had one point. Putting aside the need to sound convincing, now I am on your side - how sure are you that you will succeed? Is there any way those of us willing to cooperate can assist? I can't speak for the others, but having someone like you in charge in Drenath will make my further dealings with your people.
..much smoother, so I have an interest in how this goes past any non-aggression pact we make here." Although he didn't say it, he found the more feral members of the Flesh-Reavers proved something of a distraction to his plans, with how the provided an attractive alternative to his rule through a life much closer to the old Carcini ways. Kree'ghaar'kh being in charge promised more in the way of stability, and stability was good now his plans were turning towards military action.