PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Dungeons & Dragons 5.1E — Barbarian

thoroughlyS
2021-03-30, 12:04 AM
Index (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?620527-Dungeons-amp-Dragons-5-1E-%97-Houserules-to-Revise-amp-Revamp-the-Game)

I have been playing Dungeons & Dragons for about half of my life, first introduced to the game at the tail end of v3.5. I have been playing 5E since its release, and it is my favorite version of the game. I feel like the rules are simple, elegant, and cohesive... for the most part. But no game is truly perfect, even to an individual, and there are some rules that I feel were suboptimally implemented. Some build options in the game outshine others, leading to an oversaturation in play. Meanwhile, other build options are so underwhelming that they are neglected an are often called for reworks.

In this thread, I present my list of houserules (listed in red) which have the sole purpose of trying to make bad options good, and the best options merely great. In doing so, I hope to allow players at my table a greater breadth of concepts to explore, simply by making everything worth playing. These changes are to the barbarian, to clean up so clunky design and give players more reasons to stick to the class at higher levels.

Barbarian (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gomfqPqsqCPAQcV5CkZxodTavCTITItJ/view?usp=sharing)
Rage
In battle, you fight with primal ferocity. On your turn, you can enter a rage as a bonus action.
While raging, you gain the following benefits if you aren’t wearing heavy armor:
You have advantage on Strength checks and Strength saving throws.

When you make a melee weapon attack using Strength, you gain a bonus to the damage roll that increases as you gain levels as a barbarian, as shown in the Rage Damage column of the Barbarian table.
You have resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage.
If you are able to cast spells, you can’t cast them or concentrate on them while raging.
Your rage lasts for 1 minute. It ends early if you are knocked unconscious. You can also end your rage on your turn as a bonus action.
Once you have raged the number of times shown for your barbarian level in the Rages column of the Barbarian table, you must finish a long rest before you can rage again.
A barbarian can only lose rage if knocked unconscious. It feels bad to take rage away from a barbarian. This is the thing they are supposed to do, so let them do it.
Driving Vigor
Beginning at 3rd level, you recover stamina at an exhilarating rate. When you finish a short rest, you can reduce your exhaustion level by one. You must eat at least half a pound of food and drink at least 1 quart of water during this short rest. You can't use this feature again until you finish a long rest.
Not only does this cleanly fix the Berserker, it also feels like a fun thematic thing all barbarians should be able to do.
Brutal Critical
Beginning at 7th level, your melee weapon attacks using Strength score a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20. Also, you can roll one of the weapon’s damage dice one additional time and add it to the extra damage of the critical hit.
This increases to two additional dice at 13th level.
The official version of Brutal Critical really feels like too little too late. I expand the critical range (at the recommendation of Treantmonk), but also slightly lower when you get this feature so that more barbarians will get to use it. This also has the added benefit of making the greataxe a better choice than the greatsword for the barbarian.

The second time you gain this feature, it is fine, but the third time really feels like a kick in the ribs. I replace it with something much more valuable below.
Feral Instinct
By 9th level, your instincts are so honed that you have advantage on initiative rolls.
Additionally, if you are surprised at the beginning of combat and aren’t incapacitated, you can act normally on your first turn, but only if you enter your rage before doing anything else on that turn.
I had to push this feature back to accommodate the new placement of Brutal Critical.
Relentless Rage
By 11th level, your rage can keep you fighting despite grievous wounds. If you drop to 0 hit points while you’re raging and don’t die outright, you can make a DC 10 Constitution saving throw. If you succeed, you drop to 1 hit point instead.
Each time you use this feature after the first, the DC increases by 5. When you enter your rage again, the DC resets to 10.
A minor change to allow a barbarian to benefit from this feature a little more.
Punishing Strikes
Starting at 15th level, whenever you make an opportunity attack using Strength, the target takes damage equal to half your barbarian level (whether you hit or miss).
Persistent Rage was made obsolete by my changes to the base feature, so I replaced it with something flavorful but not overpowered.
Reckless Assault
Starting at 17th level, whenever you have advantage on a melee weapon attack using Strength, you can reroll one of the dice once.
Getting a third Brutal Critical die as a Tier 4 feature felt awful. I replace it with super advantage. It's still not a massive boon, but it definitely makes you feel cooler.

Catullus64
2021-03-30, 10:51 AM
(I'm going to be commenting on all of these posts, most likely)

Looks pretty good! Only two changes that I'm not sure I like, or at least would like more clarification as to their intent.

The triangle of re-ordered features (Shifting part of Feral Instinct onto Danger Sense, Swapping the rest of Feral Instinct with Brutal Critical) seems like it makes the class feel a bit lopsided. Blanket initiative advantage is crazy strong at Level 2, especially when combined with the other stuff a Barbarian is getting at that level. And while I agree that making Brutal Critical come online earlier is nice, it means that you've now only got half of Feral Instinct at 9th level, which should be more of a big feature point. Consider adding something (even if it's only a ribbon) to the now-9th Level Feral Instinct, and adding some Feral Instinct-esque action restriction onto the the now-Initiative-boosting Danger sense.

I get where you're coming from in terms of Rage ending early, but at the same time I do prefer that rage impose some behavioral restrictions on the Barbarian; it should reflect the fact that you're giving up some control and versatility to really cut loose in combat. I would prefer keeping the restrictions, but maybe making them more generous; replacing your turn ends in the rules text with your turn starts might be a good one, or giving the option to auto-self damage to sustain it.

Driving Vigor is good, and very on-theme for the class. I wouldn't say that it fixes the Berserker perfectly, however. At 3rd level when this feature comes online, you get 3 Rages per Long Rest. If you use your Frenzy each time you rage in a given day, that's still one level of exhaustion you will have unmitigated at the start of the next adventuring day; that death-spiral only worsens as you get more rages. Maybe you still wanted there to be some cost to always using Frenzy, but I'm personally of the camp that says its ok for Frenzy to just not cause exhaustion at all.

thoroughlyS
2021-03-30, 11:31 AM
The triangle of re-ordered features (Shifting part of Feral Instinct onto Danger Sense, Swapping the rest of Feral Instinct with Brutal Critical) seems like it makes the class feel a bit lopsided. Blanket initiative advantage is crazy strong at Level 2, especially when combined with the other stuff a Barbarian is getting at that level. And while I agree that making Brutal Critical come online earlier is nice, it means that you've now only got half of Feral Instinct at 9th level, which should be more of a big feature point. Consider adding something (even if it's only a ribbon) to the now-9th Level Feral Instinct, and adding some Feral Instinct-esque action restriction onto the the now-Initiative-boosting Danger sense.
How would you feel about just swapping the levels of the printed versions of Danger Sense and Feral Instinct? That way 2nd level isn't so crowded.

I get where you're coming from in terms of Rage ending early, but at the same time I do prefer that rage impose some behavioral restrictions on the Barbarian; it should reflect the fact that you're giving up some control and versatility to really cut loose in combat. I would prefer keeping the restrictions, but maybe making them more generous; replacing your turn ends in the rules text with your turn starts might be a good one, or giving the option to auto-self damage to sustain it.
You still get behavioral restrictions from other features like Reckless Attack and subclass features. Barbarians are already incentivized to attack things on their turn, thee shouldn't also be a penalty if you can't.

Driving Vigor is good, and very on-theme for the class. I wouldn't say that it fixes the Berserker perfectly, however. At 3rd level when this feature comes online, you get 3 Rages per Long Rest. If you use your Frenzy each time you rage in a given day, that's still one level of exhaustion you will have unmitigated at the start of the next adventuring day; that death-spiral only worsens as you get more rages. Maybe you still wanted there to be some cost to always using Frenzy, but I'm personally of the camp that says its ok for Frenzy to just not cause exhaustion at all.
I am firmly in the camp that at-will Frenzy would be too powerful. This lets you use it at least one per long rest with limited lingering effects, so you can deal with a big fight early on. If you need to use it again, you aren't left with any problems. I think if a DM was throwing three challenges at you in one long rest that made you feel like you needed to Frenzy, then there is probably a reason for that and you shouldn't be able to just trivialize those encounters.

Yakk
2021-03-30, 01:24 PM
Too much focus on combat.

I mean, the barbarian had only a few non-combat features, and you replaced most of them with more fight gudder.

The back 10 is still paultry.

The barbarian still scales ridiculously well if you take GWM, and much poorer if not.

I suggest:
(a) made all -5/+10 do "sacrifice proficiency to hit for 2x proficiency to damage". This made it clear it does not stack; you can't sacrifice something twice.
(b) reckless attack both granted advantage *and* sacrificed proficiency to hit for 2x proficiency to damage, as you aren't trying to be precise.

This had the advantage of making shield+sword and two weapon barbarians viable, as they are no longer pale imitations of great weapon barbarians.

Brutal Critical
I made the 19-20 range only work when doing a reckless attack. It makes it a touch worse than Champion. An alternative would be to make it *doubles* result in a critical (which is like a 19.5 to 20 crit range).

But yes, the crit-fishing and the lack of 19-20 range makes barbarians trail off without MCing, and once you start MCing the back 10 of barbarian isn't all that great.

I also made Brutal Critical scale by 2 dice at 13 and 3 at 17. Having +6 dice crits really feels nice with a 19-20 advantage crit range. It also feels better than more accuracy.

---

One thing I did in my revision is to take the 4 front line characters and give them both beef and save features. Except the paladin, their save feature would be in the "back 10" higher levels.

Fighters, I took indomitable and made it legendary resistance.

Barbarians I gave them "your min save roll is your attribute", and advantage on strength and con saves and on saves where immunity to charm or fear would apply.

Rangers I gave +HM damage die to their saves against effects caused by their quarry (and had HM dice scale with level).

thoroughlyS
2021-03-30, 01:29 PM
Too much focus on combat.

I mean, the barbarian had only a few non-combat features, and you replaced most of them with more fight gudder.
I take offense to that, as I haven't removed any features I would call "noncombat". Are you meaning my change to Berserker? There's some explaining to be done there, but I feel like calling their intimidation a "noncombat" feature is disingenuous.

Yakk
2021-03-30, 01:53 PM
I misunderstood and thought your higher level features replaced the strength check one. Mea culpa.

thoroughlyS
2021-03-30, 03:29 PM
Oh, ok. An easy mistake to make. I agree that the 18th level feature is really solid and thematic.

thoroughlyS
2021-04-05, 11:12 PM
I have elected to reverse my changes to Danger Sense and Feral Instinct. My previous changes definitely frontloaded 2nd level.

Ralanr
2021-05-08, 05:21 PM
I do like that some changes are made about brutal critical. Honestly I really hate the ability by RAW because when it hits, it can be good, but you have so little control over the ability that you might as well get an empty level.