PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Copy character?

SangoProduction
2021-03-30, 01:44 AM
So... strange ability.

My character can perfectly copy another's abilities once per day. Spells, spheres, EX, SU, class, race. Everything.

Except that my attributes and size don't change, and any existing abilities overlap with the copied ones. Copying spells as a spell caster simply adds to the list of known spells. (Said not to take Wizard or Cleric.)

So essentially, I can add anything from them to me, but I can't change anything that already exists. Which is freaking strange.

Can someone please give me ideas for how in the heck I'm supposed to build this character, without knowledge of the other party members?

StSword
2021-03-30, 04:02 AM
That sounds like the Echo class from Classes of the Lost Spheres: Echo.

There's also the Taskshaper (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/rite-publishing/taskshaper/) class.

icefractal
2021-03-30, 04:19 AM
Are you asking what to pick given that you have this ability, or how to get an ability like this?

In the former case, is it a single copied ability set at once, or cumulative? And how long does it last? Could you copy a single ideal target and then stay in that "mode" forever?

Silly Name
2021-03-30, 04:33 AM
Does this impose any limits on you? If it's a "racial" ability the DM has given your character, you could easily build anything you want and copy interesting and useful abilities from ally and monster alike. There's a lot of nice stuff you can collect.

That said, I may be inclined to suggest a spontaneous casting class due to how you say copying spells works. If you pick, say, sorcerer, would you be able to copy a druid spell and cast it using your normal sorcerer spell slots? Or do you need to be able to cast divine spells too?

Can you copy feats too? Is the copy effect permanent, or do you get a time limit? Maybe you can only have so many copies active at a time? Because if you can copy feats and keep them indefinitely, that's a potential for some delicious cheese...

Jack_Simth
2021-03-30, 06:55 AM
So... strange ability.

My character can perfectly copy another's abilities once per day. Spells, spheres, EX, SU, class, race. Everything.

Except that my attributes and size don't change, and any existing abilities overlap with the copied ones. Copying spells as a spell caster simply adds to the list of known spells. (Said not to take Wizard or Cleric.)

So essentially, I can add anything from them to me, but I can't change anything that already exists. Which is freaking strange.

Can someone please give me ideas for how in the heck I'm supposed to build this character, without knowledge of the other party members?
You Listed Spheres, so I'll assume Pathfinder.

I'd be inclined to go something like a Kitsune Oracle, pick up Realistic Likeness, and in general make spell, skill, item, and class feature selection such that you can mimic other classes effectively (e.g., Shadow mystery for Dark Secrets and a bunch of shadow spells, Spirit Guide Archetype so you've got a floating pool of spells known to work with, get Disguise and Bluff as class skills via traits, make sure to have the Find Traps spell, et cetera). DM's making you a copycat? Embrace it.

Gruftzwerg
2021-03-30, 02:12 PM
How crazy you wanna go?^^

A) Druid 5 / Master of Many Form 7 / Chameleon 2 / xxx 6

Due to the ERRATA Wild Shape ain't related to the Alter Self/Polymorph rules anymore. Thanks to that, Wild Shape doesn't need to use a generic/normal target form anymore. You are allowed to shape into specific forms if you want. With Humanoid Shape you can now shape into specific persons. Once you reach MoMF 7, you get all Special Qualities of the target. With Chameleon 2 you can set your Floating Feat to "Assume Supernatural Ability". This should result in very accurate copies in most chases.

B) Ice Assassin + Symbiont template
Make an Ice Assassin of the desired target. Use it as guest to become a +1 template for you (as host), giving you access to all of his abilities. Since you have control over the Ice Assassin, you remain in control. (Have a look at my Orochimaru build for extended options if you should find this option interesting).

SangoProduction
2021-03-30, 02:47 PM
Are you asking what to pick given that you have this ability, or how to get an ability like this?

In the former case, is it a single copied ability set at once, or cumulative? And how long does it last? Could you copy a single ideal target and then stay in that "mode" forever?

Yeah. Given that I have the described ability.

It is the whole set. And I presumed for an entire day... but I should probably get clarification.

Quertus
2021-03-31, 06:21 AM
If your power is, "get all their powers"…

And you are limited by your stats…

And adding spellcasting is *not* cumulative with your own casting?

Then

I would *not* take a caster, as that would be redundant with copying a caster.

I would want to maximize my stats.

Maximizing HP (& BAB)? That's Barbarian. Maximizing saves? That's Monk.

Maximizing attributes? That's… race? Or ancient Druid, I suppose. (Any way to make Druids into spontaneous casters? If not, don't copy casters.)

Or

I might choose what to play based on what I thought might be fun with this power.

Obviously a channeling or Illithid Savant would be highly thematic.

Someone with some way to take monsters alive, who then carried them around and copied them (I seem to recall a "Pokemon trainer" build (or spell?) that would work for this) could be fun.

Or

I might combine the two ideas, and play a Dark Kobald Rogue, with stealth and sneak attack, who can copy creatures from hiding. Even if they have no *powers*, you still benefit greatly from ones with especially high HD / high BAB.

SangoProduction
2021-03-31, 01:23 PM
Does this impose any limits on you? If it's a "racial" ability the DM has given your character, you could easily build anything you want and copy interesting and useful abilities from ally and monster alike. There's a lot of nice stuff you can collect.

That said, I may be inclined to suggest a spontaneous casting class due to how you say copying spells works. If you pick, say, sorcerer, would you be able to copy a druid spell and cast it using your normal sorcerer spell slots? Or do you need to be able to cast divine spells too?

Can you copy feats too? Is the copy effect permanent, or do you get a time limit? Maybe you can only have so many copies active at a time? Because if you can copy feats and keep them indefinitely, that's a potential for some delicious cheese...

Oh, I missed these questions. I apologize.

But I did get a response from the DM. He said it works for 24 hours or until the copy is used again.
I imagine that I could use sorcerer spell clots for druid spells, otherwise it would be a little awkward with him saying that you could copy spells. I'll ask.
Feats are copied.

Good Stuff

Nice ideas

Jazath
2021-03-31, 01:24 PM

Could this relate to the creation... of Pun Pun?
Joking.

I find a class that can copy others abhorrent. I'm a simple guy who likes big numbers and roleplaying situations.

nedz
2021-04-01, 06:39 AM
This is just Amanuensis at will isn't it ?

SangoProduction
2021-04-01, 10:48 PM
This is just Amanuensis at will isn't it ?

lol. Clever Girl.