PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Practiced Spellcaster Feat with Mystic Theurge

JoeNapalm
2021-03-30, 10:54 AM
So, if I took both Arcane and Divine caster levels, and the Mystic Theurge PrC, would that mean if I chose one class for the Feat and leveled the other, my Caster level for both classes would increase (up to four levels)?

-Jn-

Particle_Man
2021-03-30, 12:44 PM
I think you would need to take the feat twice: once for cleric and once for wizard (for examples). You can’t take it for “mystic theurge” itself.

So a cleric 3/wizard 3/mystic theurge 10/wizard 4 without the feat would have caster level 13 as a cleric and caster level 17 as a wizard.

With one feat (on cleric) the cleric caster level would be 17, and the wizard caster level would be 17.

With one feat (on wizard) the cleric caster level would be 13 and the wizard caster level would be 20.

With the feat taken twice, the caster level for cleric would be 17 and the caster level for wizard would be 20.

Psyren
2021-03-30, 12:47 PM
Yes, however that only affects variables dependent on caster level, e.g. spell duration. It would not actually progress your spellcasting on the "lower side" to match your higher one, i.e. you will still have one side of the theurge with lower spell levels and fewer spells per day than the other.

EDIT: My example assumes uneven levels, e.g. Wizard 7/Cleric 3/MT 10.

Particle_Man
2021-03-30, 12:53 PM
True. One option is to mix in levels of mystic theurge with levels of arcane heirophant, using Druid and Wizard as base classes. That can get one to 17th level in each class at character level 20, giving one access to 9th level spell slots on both the Druid and wizard side. The practiced spell caster feat can still help with the caster level, raising a class’s caster level to 20 (but not giving one more spell slots, as noted above). Taking the feat twice (once for Druid and once for wizard) would thus still be useful.

So Druid 3/wizard 3/mystic theurge 2/arcane hierophant 10/mystic theurge 2 could work. And getting access to 9th level spells on both sides is a nice capstone ability, thematically speaking.

Feldar
2021-04-01, 12:25 PM
Geomancer also works for double 9s.

I agree you would have to take feat twice, once for arcane and once for divine.

Particle_Man
2021-04-01, 01:02 PM
Geomancer also works for double 9s.

How? You can't add a Geomancer spellcaster level to Mystic Theurge, only to a class that actually grants spells, like cleric or wizard.