PDA

View Full Version : {Spoiler} Prophesy Fufillment Coming Soon?

Zeitgeist
2007-11-10, 09:17 AM
V's current mindset seems to me like it's going to drive him/her to find "ultimate arcane power" at any cost.

However, V's current mindset could very well make him/her do it for "all the wrong reasons".

But then again, it might be too early for V to obtain such power. But his/her stability sure makes it seem like something is about to happen regarding that prophesy. I know prophesies aren't supposed to work backwards, and only make sense after the event, but I still like to speculate.

Thoughts?

Cleverdan22
2007-11-10, 10:26 AM
No, this seems like for all the right reasons. Though I was thinking about it.

Green Bean
2007-11-10, 10:28 AM
I think that every time a character turns around, the board figures that it'll fulfil a prophecy somehow.

Spiky
2007-11-10, 11:20 AM
It's still based on D&D. And V can't achieve such power suddenly and dramatically from level 13-14, his currently presumed status. Unless I'm misunderstanding the definition of "ultimate" in this case.

MCerberus
2007-11-10, 11:21 AM
I think that every time a character turns around, the board figures that it'll fulfil a prophecy somehow.

I guess it kind of looks like a goat (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0021.html)

EdgarVerona
2007-11-10, 01:04 PM

Obviously your questioning of the prophecy was also prophesied! :smallbiggrin:

Warlord JK
2007-11-10, 01:53 PM
I'm giving it a 50/50 chance. V is definitely going to work until s/he drops from exhaustion to scry on Haley, but that might not lead to ultimate arcane power. We must watch and wait, unfortunetly :smallmad:

Zeitgeist
2007-11-10, 04:22 PM
It's still based on D&D. And V can't achieve such power suddenly and dramatically from level 13-14, his currently presumed status. Unless I'm misunderstanding the definition of "ultimate" in this case.

Well clearly something rule-breaking has to happen. I don't see how "ultimate arcane power" can be obtained without really breaking the balance of D&D. A level up wouldn't do it. Creating a single spell wouldn't do it.

Anything ultimate, in any kind of game, is usually pretty game breaking.

Or it could just be a joke, and V will learn a spell called "Ultimate Arcane Power" that does pretty much nothing. But I tend to think the prophesies are usually a little more serious.

I didn't say for sure, and I think the Giant gave us the prophesies so we'd have fun trying to figure them out. I also think he probably made them very difficult to figure out, so there's some satisfaction if you found you were actually right for once.

Lord_Butters_I
2007-11-10, 04:37 PM
Think of Haley's prophacy: If you decode her speach it says "how can I be able to speak again" or something like that and the answer is "When the gift horse comes calling, don't look it in the mouth". In hindsight it's obvious, but before it happened and as it was happening it was completely obscure.

Setra
2007-11-10, 04:52 PM
Think of Haley's prophacy: If you decode her speach it says "how can I be able to speak again" or something like that and the answer is "When the gift horse comes calling, don't look it in the mouth". In hindsight it's obvious, but before it happened and as it was happening it was completely obscure.
Not really, when it was happening everyone was like "Haley's gonna get her speech back!" like 10 comics before-hand.

mikeejimbo
2007-11-10, 04:55 PM
I dunno, I think people were predicting the gift horse thing when it was happening. I seem to recall so anyway.

Anyway, as for V's power... I don't know if I would call this the right reasons or the wrong reasons. I mean, he has good intention, but it is a waste of resources to expend it on one person.

Kish
2007-11-10, 05:07 PM
Isn't that a lot like saying "a level 7-9 fighter can't defeat an epic level lich with his bare hands"? Based on D&D, yes. Mechanics trumping plot, no.

However, I concur with h_v--whenever Vaarsuvius says four words, or more than four words, people on the board go "those were the words!" People did predict the "gift horse in the mouth" thing while it was happening, and also pretty constantly from the time the prophecy was made to the time it came true. If you keep your oven on all the time, you'll never need to worry about forgetting to preheat it, but I don't envy you the bill you'll rack up.

mockingbyrd7
2007-11-10, 08:42 PM
I have a theory then.

What V is doing right now is "for all the wrong reasons" because POWER CORRUPTS. Therefore, having ultimate arcane power - potentially viewed as a corrupt, evil thing - for a good cause (i.e. saving the world, rescuing Haley) is for "all the wrong reasons" when compared to the power.

Odd, I know, but it works for me.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-11-10, 09:56 PM
Remember, V won't gain the power for the wrong reasons. V will gain power by saying something for the wrong reasons. The reasons for V seeking and gaining power don't really matter to that extent.