PDA

View Full Version : Player Help What could cause disadvantage on all ranged attacks?

nickl_2000
2021-03-31, 10:07 AM
So, one of my current PCs is in a situation where he gets disadvantage on all ranged attacks. It has triggered over multiple gaming days and multiple times a day, and with multiple different ranged weapons.

A successful arcana check has found that "something doesn't want me using my shortbow or handcrossbow." I haven't tested thrown weapons yet, nor ranged spell attacks (I don't have ranged spell attacks on this PC). Melee attacks work normally though.

Can anyone think of a spell that could have caused that?

Looks like I got it, thank everyone. Now the fun starts of the character getting insanely jealous over the weapon and not letting anyone else touch it until they realize what it is.

FROM BELOW:
I'm fairly certain it's a Shortsword of Vengence. I have a +1 magical shortsword that I use most of the time, and our table generally will assume attunement if you wear/use a cursed item for to long. I did make a save against the AT that I failed and forced me to fight her until either she or I was at 0 hp. I was shortly knocked to 0 hp in the battle and that ended. The AT we were fighting was absolutely nuts, so I assumed that it was just a special NPC ability. However, after the X of Vengeance was mentioned there is practically 0 chance that it isn't that (and that the DM just accidently missed when I was using a different melee weapon).

StoneSeraph
2021-03-31, 10:11 AM
What melee weapon did you use?

RogueJK
2021-03-31, 10:15 AM

Warding Wind could, but it also has other effects:

A strong wind (20 miles per hour) blows around you in a 10-foot radius and moves with you, remaining centered on you. The wind lasts for the spell’s duration.

The wind has the following effects:

It deafens you and other creatures in its area.
It extinguishes unprotected flames in its area that are torch-sized or smaller.
The area is difficult terrain for creatures other than you.
The attack rolls of ranged weapon attacks have disadvantage if they pass in or out of the wind.
It hedges out vapor, gas, and fog that can be dispersed by strong wind.

But this sounds more like Divine Intervention, a curse, or some other form of custom DM Fiat.

Droppeddead
2021-03-31, 10:18 AM
So, one of my current PCs is in a situation where he gets disadvantage on all ranged attacks. It has triggered over multiple gaming days and multiple times a day, and with multiple different ranged weapons.

A successful arcana check has found that "something doesn't want me using my shortbow or handcrossbow." I haven't tested thrown weapons yet, nor ranged spell attacks (I don't have ranged spell attacks on this PC). Melee attacks work normally though.

Why don't you ask the DM or try to find someone ingame who can help you?

Xervous
2021-03-31, 10:25 AM
Smacks of GM handwavium or plot type thing. Maybe you grabbed an intelligent / cursed sword that wants you to feed its honor/bloodlust. At least that’s what I hope. What are the other party members using? Have you been avoiding stuff by being at range? Have you gotten zapped by anything, touched suspicious items first?

Emongnome777
2021-03-31, 10:31 AM
Oathbow does something similar, but it would be obvious how it happened, so it’s a stretch since you’d have to be attuned to it, make a sworn enemy then proceed to use other ranged weapons. Just a thought.

nickl_2000
2021-03-31, 10:32 AM
What melee weapon did you use?

Various, Green Flame Blade triggered from a magical shortsword, silvered shortsword (there are DM NPCs that resist magic but not silver), and a few others. All of them work fine.

Warding Wind could, but it also has other effects:

But this sounds more like Divine Intervention, a curse, or some other form of custom DM Fiat.

Could certainly be, I couldn't think of a spell that could have caused it.

Why don't you ask the DM or try to find someone ingame who can help you?

I'm in the middle of a dungeon, so not a lot of people to ask. Once there is a downtime, I will be checking with some cleric friends though.

Smacks of GM handwavium or plot type thing. Maybe you grabbed an intelligent / cursed sword that wants you to feed its honor/bloodlust. At least that’s what I hope. What are the other party members using? Have you been avoiding stuff by being at range? Have you gotten zapped by anything, touched suspicious items first?

He's a rogue, he has certainly touched suspicious items. He held a silver dagger that was actually a shapeshifted demon for awhile. The paladin discovered that I was holding it and we killed it.

I thought it was location based at first, but now it has been multiple days and multiple locations. Other PCs have both thrown weapons and made ranged spell attacks perfectly fine.

Amnestic
2021-03-31, 10:34 AM
Sounds like a custom long duration Bestow Curse to me. Disadvantage on all ranged attack rolls feels roughly in line with the other effects, but if it's lasting multiple days it requires a 9th level spell slot.

Either that or a cursed item you picked up perhaps.

Randomthom
2021-03-31, 10:37 AM
A lot of cursed items have something along the lines of "When you attune to this item you are cursed. Attacks made with any weapon other than this are made at disadvantage" so it could be something like this?

MrCharlie
2021-03-31, 10:57 AM

Nothing directly spell based besides bestow curse. Bestow curse has some restrictions-it can't be more powerful than a series of effects, one of which is "disadvantage on all attacks against the caster", which the DM may have said is equivalent to "disadvantage on ranged attacks against all creatures". If it were cast a 9th level it would be permanent until dispelled, which could be done with dispel magic, remove curse, or greater restoration, if my memory serves. If you don't have someone high enough level to cast these, have someone cast identify on you-the less invoked but often more useful use of identify is to identify any spells on the target.

Alternatively, and more likely-It could be a straight up godly curse or some similar curse that does not have any spell involved, in which case your SOL and need to go through whatever hoops the DM wants. Not to disparage it of course-this is well honored DnD tradition right here. Piss off any brawn gods lately, the kind that frown on dishonorably shooting things versus honorably stabbing them?

Other options include-

A. Cursed item. Try stripping naked, then picking up a bow and shooting it at a target-if that works you know something you were wearing is cursed. More likely you won't be able to put the cursed item down to begin with. This is not an exhaustive test-many items will continue to affect you even if they aren't on your person. Remove curse, or identify every single item you own including random gold pieces.

B. Your bows were all cursed. Use a different one, perhaps borrowed.

C. One of your allies is screwing with you with magic. I had a friend pull this once-he had an ability which let him impose disadvantage as a reaction, forget which one, and he promptly used it on the sorcerer every time she threw a firebolt downrange. Just to screw with them.

D. Your DM has decided you don't get to use bows. I've seen stupider.

Droppeddead
2021-03-31, 11:02 AM
I'm in the middle of a dungeon, so not a lot of people to ask. Once there is a downtime, I will be checking with some cleric friends though.

Well, we're not in the dungeon with you either, yet you still ask us. Should we wait to answer until you're out of the dungeon?

LumenPlacidum
2021-03-31, 11:45 AM
You're definitely cursed. Have access to a remove curse spell? Check to see if there are any weapons that you have that don't impose disadvantage on your attacks. I'd guess that there's only one ranged weapon like that. If all of your ranged weapons are doing that, then yeah, it's probably a customized version of Bestow Curse.

Another possibility is some sort of ethereal influence. A really devious ghost or demon who's possessing you might only screw with your ranged attacks. Have the paladin use its ability to sense weird types of creatures while you're around? It might turn up something.

Unoriginal
2021-03-31, 11:48 AM
Have your character picked up an item or had to go near any peculiar dungeon features?

Do you know who or what is in the dungeon, especially in term of powerful beings?

nickl_2000
2021-03-31, 11:59 AM
Well, we're not in the dungeon with you either, yet you still ask us. Should we wait to answer until you're out of the dungeon?

I think you misinterpretted my answer as snarky, it wasn't meant to be. I'm asking because I'm trying to think of things that could happen and how I could go about in character to solve them. Consulting a cleric is a good idea, but not possible at the moment.

You're definitely cursed. Have access to a remove curse spell? Check to see if there are any weapons that you have that don't impose disadvantage on your attacks. I'd guess that there's only one ranged weapon like that. If all of your ranged weapons are doing that, then yeah, it's probably a customized version of Bestow Curse.

Another possibility is some sort of ethereal influence. A really devious ghost or demon who's possessing you might only screw with your ranged attacks. Have the paladin use its ability to sense weird types of creatures while you're around? It might turn up something.

The Paladin isn't high enough level yet for remove curse. I will have to see if the Warlock has it.

I have a shortbow that gives me disadvantage. I have picked up a hand crossbow (after being hit by this effect) and tried that as well, and it was also at disadvantage. I've used 3 different melee weapons, none of them were at disadvantage.

Have your character picked up an item or had to go near any peculiar dungeon features?

Do you know who or what is in the dungeon, especially in term of powerful beings?

This effect started before I entered this dungeon, in a creepy house that was infested with zombie and an arcane trickster (plus was set up by the chapters BBEG who is a necromancer). I incorrectly assumed that it had something to do with the weird house and would go away on it's own. As for who I have pissed off, there are a few possibilities. We have encountered several forgotten deities in old temples. I've also potentially ticked off the queen of the city (although she may not have noticed what I did). I've definitely ticked off a necromancer by killing his father, then killing his father in zombie form, then nearly killing him.

WaroftheCrans
2021-03-31, 12:10 PM

Maybe because we're not in game NPC's? At least I don't think of myself as an NPC, although I suppose you might think of yourself that way.

This is probably a DM fiat curse whether from a cursed item, the shapeshifted demon or a custom curse effect. At the end of an adventuring day, ask your friends if whew could spare a dispel magic, remove curse, or even just an identify as someone mentioned. Past that, you probably have a story curse, where some divination spells would be useful, asking extraplanar beings about your plight and consulting with NPCs.

Xervous
2021-03-31, 12:28 PM
Out of curiosity how tight lipped is the GM on other things like monster IDs, magic item functionality and so forth?

nickl_2000
2021-03-31, 12:33 PM
Out of curiosity how tight lipped is the GM on other things like monster IDs, magic item functionality and so forth?

He will tell us after the fact, and drop not so obvious hints. He hid the demon dagger thing for several levels, but went ahead and had me roll an arcana check during combat to give hints about this curse. We were fighting some vampire spawn and figured it out in the middle of combat (you know, when they tried to grapple and bite us and healed when they did).

KorvinStarmast
2021-03-31, 12:52 PM
Smacks of GM handwavium or plot type thing. Maybe you grabbed an intelligent / cursed sword that wants you to feed its honor/bloodlust. At least that’s what I hope. What are the other party members using? Have you been avoiding stuff by being at range? Have you gotten zapped by anything, touched suspicious items first? I had a sword of vengeance (+1) on my champion for many levels. DM and I agreed that I'd not know it was cursed, once I attuned, because I Loved That Sword! And I did. The few times I used my longbow I had disadvantage on the attacks. And a few times I rolled that save, missed the DC 15, and went after someone who had hurt me ... and the rest of the party just thought it was me being a typical half orc.

The other players never figured it out. (DM was very clear, if one of them figured out that I had a cursed sword and offered to cast remove curse (we had a cleric) it was fine for me to accept). I was, apparently, lavish in my Sword and Board schtick, and they just wrote it off as "That's what he does."

The campaign is now dormant, but it worked out OK.

nickl_2000
2021-03-31, 01:04 PM
I had a sword of vengeance (+1) on my champion for many levels. DM and I agreed that I'd not know it was cursed, once I attuned, because I Loved That Sword! And I did. The few times I used my longbow I had disadvantage on the attacks. And a few times I rolled that save and went after somenone who had hurt me ... and the rest of the party just thought it was me being a typical half orc.

The other players never figured it out. (DM was very clear, if one of them figured out that I had a cursed sword and offered to cast remove curse (we had a cleric) it was fine for me to accept). I was, apparently, lavish in my Sword and Board schtick, and they just wrote it off as "That's what he does."

The campaign is now dormant, but it worked out OK.

You just hit the nail on the head. I have a short sword +1 and have had to make wisdom save (on failure having to attack until either I go to 0 HP or they do). I'm pretty sure the DM just missed the few times I've used different melee weapons other than the short sword, but easily caught the ranged ones.

Either way though, this isn't the worst thing in the world. We have a tendency to fight things to the death already and my character is a rogue who avoid being hit most of the time. I have no idea how he would figure it out since we already cast identify on the sword and it didn't show, but we may get it eventually.

Battlebooze
2021-03-31, 01:25 PM
A lot of cursed items have something along the lines of "When you attune to this item you are cursed. Attacks made with any weapon other than this are made at disadvantage" so it could be something like this?

Yea, I'd guess one of these two things. Either you picked up a very high powered curse, which I find less likely, or you picked up a cursed item and it is the source of your character's troubles. I suppose a modified Geas could also do something like this, if your DM didn't want to outright kill your character with damage.

Segev
2021-03-31, 01:48 PM
It's been hinted at and spoken of, but I don't know that anybody's directly asked:

Have you attuned any melee weapons? Any other items? What are they? (In particular a little before you started noticing the problem?)
Did you get told to make any saving throws in that spooky house, or while fighting the arcane trickster, that you don't know the results of?
When was the last time you made a non-disadvantaged ranged attack?
Since the divination says "shortbow" and "hand crossbow," have you tried javelins or longbows? (I believe you said "yes" and the penalty applied.)

I think identifying when it started and anything that happened around that time, or any new things you might have, will be essential to figuring out what could be the cause.

nickl_2000
2021-03-31, 01:55 PM
It's been hinted at and spoken of, but I don't know that anybody's directly asked:

Have you attuned any melee weapons? Any other items? What are they? (In particular a little before you started noticing the problem?)
Did you get told to make any saving throws in that spooky house, or while fighting the arcane trickster, that you don't know the results of?
When was the last time you made a non-disadvantaged ranged attack?
Since the divination says "shortbow" and "hand crossbow," have you tried javelins or longbows? (I believe you said "yes" and the penalty applied.)

I think identifying when it started and anything that happened around that time, or any new things you might have, will be essential to figuring out what could be the cause.

You missed a post of mine. I'm fairly certain it's a Shortsword of Vengence. I have a +1 magical shortsword that I use most of the time, and our table generally will assume attunement if you wear/use a cursed item for to long. I did make a save against the AT that I failed and forced me to fight her until either she or I was at 0 hp. I was shortly knocked to 0 hp in the battle and that ended. The AT we were fighting was absolutely nuts, so I assumed that it was just a special NPC ability. However, after the X of Vengeance was mentioned there is practically 0 chance that it isn't that (and that the DM just accidently missed when I was using a different melee weapon).

For the sake of prosperity, I also have a helm of comprehend languages and a pair of gloves of thievery, but have had both of those longer.

Segev
2021-03-31, 02:05 PM
You missed a post of mine. I'm fairly certain it's a Shortsword of Vengence. I have a +1 magical shortsword that I use most of the time, and our table generally will assume attunement if you wear/use a cursed item for to long. I did make a save against the AT that I failed and forced me to fight her until either she or I was at 0 hp. I was shortly knocked to 0 hp in the battle and that ended. The AT we were fighting was absolutely nuts, so I assumed that it was just a special NPC ability. However, after the X of Vengeance was mentioned there is practically 0 chance that it isn't that (and that the DM just accidently missed when I was using a different melee weapon).

For the sake of prosperity, I also have a helm of comprehend languages and a pair of gloves of thievery, but have had both of those longer.

I did miss that, sorry. Well, now you know what it (probably) is!

nickl_2000
2021-03-31, 02:07 PM
I did miss that, sorry. Well, now you know what it (probably) is!

No worries :smallbiggrin: it's easy to get into the thoughts of responding and miss something buried

Unoriginal
2021-03-31, 02:17 PM
You just hit the nail on the head. I have a short sword +1 and have had to make wisdom save (on failure having to attack until either I go to 0 HP or they do).

Could be a shortsword version of a Berserker Axe, too.

Droppeddead
2021-03-31, 05:22 PM
I think you misinterpretted my answer as snarky, it wasn't meant to be. I'm asking because I'm trying to think of things that could happen and how I could go about in character to solve them. Consulting a cleric is a good idea, but not possible at the moment.

Then you should probably solve it in character instead of asking for help with your homework online, right? ;)

But since you ask, the easiest way is to ask someone ingame (like a cleric) and if that doesn't work or can't be done I would, in your shoes, ask the DM if my character (or any of the other team members) would have any ideas on what could have caused it and perhaps ask to roll for it. Eitehr way it sounds like something your DM has a plan for so it will be hard for us to solve it for you. In game issues are usually solved in game.

...unless it is like MrCharlie said and the DM just doesn't like you to use bows. Then you need to have an OOC talk with your DM.