PDA

View Full Version : What species is Celia again?

AstralFire
2007-11-10, 10:29 AM
She's got to be a kind of fey, but for the life of me, I can't remember what precisely she is.

Just wondering what template we can slap on any future good-aligned adventuring Greenhilts. >_>

Calamity
2007-11-10, 10:30 AM
She's a sylph. A sexy one (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0442.html) according to Roy. :smallwink:

Eladrinstar
2007-11-10, 10:45 AM
A sylph is fairy like, but is actually an outsider or elemental. Of Air, obviously.

AstralFire
2007-11-10, 11:03 AM
She clearly has anatomy, so probably not an elemental, especially as D&D takes the term a bit... literally.

That explains why I had 'outsider' floating around in my head, though. Thanks.

So, Half-Celestial? Damn. >_>

Mjoellnir
2007-11-10, 11:06 AM
No template. I think they would be Air Genasi.

AstralFire
2007-11-10, 11:31 AM
Wait, you're right. Outsider doesn't always equal Celestial or Infernal. I'm an idiot.

Emanick
2007-11-10, 12:36 PM
Well, Air Sylph is capitalized in the first strip she appears in, so I would guess that that's her species.

dakiwiboid
2007-11-10, 01:38 PM
I find this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26675) really useful in determining species, etc., of characters, as it links to the first appearance of each character.

Lord_Butters_I
2007-11-10, 01:53 PM
Slyph. Says so in her earlier appearances in the Dungeon of Duroken.

factotum
2007-11-10, 06:12 PM
She clearly has anatomy, so probably not an elemental, especially as D&D takes the term a bit... literally.

Not all D&D elementals are just gusts of wind or lumps of rock. In addition, when Roy said they were going to be represented by a "friggin' paralegal" at Shojo's show trial, Celia corrected him: "friggin' paraELEMENTAL, actually.". So, Celia herself says she's an elemental, why should we disagree?

AstralFire
2007-11-10, 06:59 PM
D'oh. Shown up again. Hmm, I can't recall any elementals that have discernable anatomy though - those are usually outsiders with an elemental descriptor.

ZeroNumerous
2007-11-10, 08:07 PM
those are usually outsiders with an elemental descriptor.

Now you know why it's PARAelemental and not straight up Elemental.

NeonRonin
2007-11-10, 08:21 PM
I've had similar questions popping up in my game groups just from trying to figure out what race my friend's character happens to be. I'm currently GMing a campaign in which our druid is an ice para-elemental genasi, and I was in a game a couple years back where the rogue was a dust para-genasi.

Then there's also the Axani and Cansin(outsiders descended of Law and Chaos, respectively), which makes the whole thing even more confusing.

We haven't had any sylph PCs in our games, though, but you never know...

kpenguin
2007-11-10, 08:45 PM
Aren't sylphs supposed to be pretty small? Maybe she has advanced hit dice.

Anyway, there's someone who looks a lot like Celia in strip 87 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0087.html), but with the size I'd expect a sylph to have.

EvilJames
2007-11-12, 05:42 PM
Wait, you're right. Outsider doesn't always equal Celestial or Infernal. I'm an idiot.

slyphs are elemental kin they are fey like but they are indeed elementals
she describes her self as a paraelmental but that isn't terribly accurate since the para's are mixes of elements (magma, mud, ice, smoke?) and slyphs are strictly air dwellers

Crimson Avenger
2007-11-12, 05:56 PM
When Celia describes herself as a paraelemental...that's a gag folks.

She is an outsider of the [Air] subtype, which means she is native to the plane of air without actually being an Air Elemental. Other examples of these creatures would be:

Salamander: Fire subtype
Xorn: Earth subtype
Invisible Stalker: Air subtype
can't think of water of the top of my head

All native to the various elemental planes without being [Elemental]

The various genasi, tyflings, ect. typically have a planar bent with a Prime Material parent involved, but not always.

kpenguin
2007-11-12, 06:01 PM
Don't forget mephits, who are the most elemental outsiders there are.

Bill
2007-11-12, 06:15 PM
Slyph
References: (MM2 p192) (3.5up p36)+ (Eb p99)+
Type: Outsider
Subtype: Air
Size: Small
Hit dice: 3
Challenge rating: 5
Environments: Combo Plane of Air Temp Mountains Warm Mountains Plane of Thelanis

Squark
2007-11-12, 07:23 PM
Aren't sylphs supposed to be pretty small? Maybe she has advanced hit dice.

Anyway, there's someone who looks a lot like Celia in strip 87 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0087.html), but with the size I'd expect a sylph to have.

No smaller than Belkar. That is, Sylphs aren't any smaller than Belkar.

factotum
2007-11-13, 03:06 AM
No smaller than Belkar. That is, Sylphs aren't any smaller than Belkar.

But Celia is quite a bit bigger than Belkar--in fact, she's about as tall as Roy!

Setra
2007-11-13, 03:55 AM
But Celia is quite a bit bigger than Belkar--in fact, she's about as tall as Roy!
And so are the goblins, Rich is allowed to change certain things if he wants.

Milandros
2007-11-13, 09:10 AM
Not all D&D elementals are just gusts of wind or lumps of rock. In addition, when Roy said they were going to be represented by a "friggin' paralegal" at Shojo's show trial, Celia corrected him: "friggin' paraELEMENTAL, actually.". So, Celia herself says she's an elemental, why should we disagree?

It is indeed a joke, and since I certainly wouldn't want every flip commeent I make analysed months and years afterwards for hidden meanings and used as completeley true evidence, I'm not sure we should take everything every OoTS character mutters sarcastically or in an attempt to get a dig in as gospel truth either.

The para-elemental planes are an old AD&D 1st/2nd edition creation, planes sort of related to the elementl planes at junctions between them where elements mixed - thus planes of steam, magma, ice and so on, with appropriate elemental types and mephits. They're not officially in 3rd edition, nor does it look like they'll be in 4th.

EvilJames
2007-11-14, 06:10 PM
I'm pretty sure the Paraelemental plains were in 3rd. It was was the quasi elemental planes (where positive and negative energy mix with the four basic elements to create dust, steam, radiance, void, ash, mineral, salt, and lightning)that were cut from 3rd ed (while making shadow a full fledged inner plane instead of a demi plane, where does it sit in that group anyway?)

Chronos
2007-11-14, 06:27 PM
(while making shadow a full fledged inner plane instead of a demi plane, where does it sit in that group anyway?)Short answer? You don't want to know. The astral plane, in which all the others are embedded, is by my calculations at least nine dimensional (plus time).

Nightgaunt
2007-11-14, 08:36 PM
(while making shadow a full fledged inner plane instead of a demi plane, where does it sit in that group anyway?)

Actually as I recall the Shadow Plane like the Ethereal plane is coexistent and coterminous to the Prime. At least now it is. The key is that the Negative Energy Plane and the Plane of Shadow are different. (as in Shadow plane actually has nothing to do with undead)

And this is super OT, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

EvilJames
2007-11-16, 02:11 AM
Actually as I recall the Shadow Plane like the Ethereal plane is coexistent and coterminous to the Prime. At least now it is. The key is that the Negative Energy Plane and the Plane of Shadow are different. (as in Shadow plane actually has nothing to do with undead)

And this is super OT, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

I knew the shadow plane had nothing to do with undead. I just thought it was odd that the plane of shadow had gone from demi-plane to inner plane so I was curious as to where it would fit in the orb of the interconectivity of the inner planes (I had figured in the middle but i guess not) So much for the "unity of rings"

Or is it not an inner plane after all and just a plane of no particular group ( when the new manual of the planes was announced they had said shadow would be inner but that could have changed i suppose I've never read the new one)