PDA

View Full Version : What is a Planar Shepard?

Jimp
2007-11-10, 10:35 AM
I've seen a lot of posts recently between all the X Vs Y threads and some other about balance mechanics mentioning how horribly broken the Planar Shepard is.
So my questions:
1. What is the Planar Shepard?
2. What's horribly broken about it?

Starbuck_II
2007-11-10, 10:51 AM
I've seen a lot of posts recently between all the X Vs Y threads and some other about balance mechanics mentioning how horribly broken the Planar Shepard is.
So my questions:
1. What is the Planar Shepard?
2. What's horribly broken about it?

1. a Prc for Druids that is in Faiths of Ebberron I think or maybe Player options I forget.

2. Besides good Castering progression, good abilities, few drawbacks... oh, right the Planar bubble and assuming native creature of that plane.
Effretti get wish 3/day as long as granting toward others. You can get that. Yep, Wild Shape as if Shapechange.

Not counting Planar Bubble: The plane you chose: using its positive benefits.
There are planes that have time difference.
Ratios of 1:5 or 1:10. So each party member gets 10 rounds before enemies goes.

Fun part: Unlike Timestop, you can affect the enemy.

OzymandiasVolt
2007-11-10, 02:38 PM
Also, "Shepherd".

(Not a very productive post, perhaps, but that was driving me nuts.)

Green Bean
2007-11-10, 02:50 PM
It all breaks down mathematically.

Normal Druid= one of the most powerful classes

Planar Shepard= Most powerful stuff from Druid + overpowered new stuff.

OneWinged4ngel
2007-11-10, 03:00 PM
He can turn into outsiders and emulate their abilities (this is the essential ability necessary for the original Pun Pun). And he's got Planar Bubble. Who thought having 10 turns in a round was balanced?

It also has all the most powerful aspects of druid in addition to all its new broken abilities.

Reinboom
2007-11-10, 03:06 PM
Planar Shepherd gets the abilities that enable the Pun Pun trick (and similar things) without even trying. He can turn into outsiders and emulate their abilities. And he's got Planar Bubble. Who thought having 10 turns in a round was balanced?

10 turns in a round? Lets not forget what happens if you allow the planar shepherd out of Eberron...
And someplace where the far realm exists...

For the 10 rounds to 1 thing, for the dream plane. I want to do a planar shepherd that has that, even if only for a game, with high charisma as well - for role playing reasons...
"Am I not the woman of your dreams? I should be at least ten times the woman than them.*activates planar bubble*".

Contributive part of the post:
The ability to gain all supernatural and extraordinary abilities, and emulate all traits of a given plane. Those are the two things that make planar shepherds snap the game.
Having little to no druid progression loss? Icing on the cake. (and being diabetic, I don't allow this).

Azerian Kelimon
2007-11-10, 03:09 PM
I'm yoinking that post for the hald dragon swarm discussion. Thanks, sweetrein. BTW, why did you change back to your old avvy?

Temp
2007-11-10, 04:12 PM
The Planar Shepherd's handbook (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=709233) goes over its class abilities pretty well, in case you were wondering what exactly it can do.

PlatinumJester
2007-11-10, 04:18 PM
Which is the most powerful plane by the way?

Azerian Kelimon
2007-11-10, 04:20 PM
Depends on the setting. Dal quor on Eberron, Far Realm in other, maybe sumthin' else out there is powerful too.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-11-10, 04:48 PM
Of course flowing time, from which you get the potential 10:1 round ratio, doesn't actually exist on any of the planes in the default cosmology listed in the DMG.

Does the planar shepherd need to specify a plane from which he or she is is drawing a trait or can he or she just draw in a particular trait from nowhere?

Fax Celestis
2007-11-10, 04:55 PM
Of course flowing time, from which you get the potential 10:1 round ratio, doesn't actually exist on any of the planes in the default cosmology listed in the DMG.

Does the planar shepherd need to specify a plane from which he or she is is drawing a trait or can he or she just draw in a particular trait from nowhere?

The Planar Shepherd chooses a plane to exemplify, from the Eberron cosmology by default.

Temp
2007-11-10, 04:56 PM
Does the planar shepherd need to specify a plane from which he or she is is drawing a trait or can he or she just draw in a particular trait from nowhere?Not sure if that's rhetorical or not, but the Shepherd needs to pick a specific existing plane at first level and stick with that plane through the entire class progression.