PDA

View Full Version : Gaining a New Domain

Justin_Bacon
2007-11-10, 11:21 AM
Does anyone know of an extant feat, class ability, or the like that would allow a cleric to gain a new domain?

And, if not, does anyone see anything horribly overpowered in allowing a cleric to pick up a new domain with a feat?

My inclination is that it wouldn't be a problem: The slotting of additional spells into the domain spell slot seems like a marginal benefit and most of the domain powers I'm reviewing wouldn't seem particularly overpowered if they were actually feats in the first place. But I wanted to bounce the idea off other people.

For example, the cleric in my campaign who wants to do this currently has Strength and Healing as his domains. He wants to gain the Sun domain. The "greater turning" ability is basically identical to the ability granted by the Disciple of the Sun feat (from Complete Divine) except that the greater turning ability is limited to once per day while the Disciple of the Sun feat requires you to expend two turning attempts to create the effect. So it's fairly equivalent, in my estimation. (If anything, I'd call Disciple of the Sun the better option.)

Justin Alexander
http://www.thealexandrian.net

Hazkali
2007-11-10, 11:58 AM
There is always the option of Retraining via the rules in the Players Handbook 2, if the Cleric wants to take the domain in place of one he already has.

As for taking a 3rd domain, there are a couple of prestige classes that allow you to do this, but I wouldn't allow it as a feat as that seems (in my opinion) a trifle too powerful unless the feat has very hefty prerequisites.

Jaerc
2007-11-10, 12:26 PM
There is an Epic feat (reprinted in for 3.5 in the CDi) that grants access to an additional domain and it's granted power. For the record, it's not worth an Epic feat and should be revised to to be pre-Epic.

There are several (10+) prestige classes granting a bonus domain (usually specified for you) at their first level.

Also the Cloistered Cleric base class variant from UA grants the Knowledge domain as a bonus at 1st level.

Justin_Bacon
2007-11-16, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the thoughts and help, guys.

I couldn't find the feat in Complete Divine or the ELH. (Apparently I'm blind.) But I've decided to give him the domain as a feat: Granted domain powers are either as powerful or less powerful than typical feats, and the ability to select from a slightly larger domain spell list doesn't seem to be more than a minor perk.

Might get a trifle powerful in my campaign, since I'm using the spontaneous domain casting variant (instead of a bonus domain spell, the cleric can spontaneously cast domain spells -- I like it because it emphasizes the differences between clerics with different domains). But not brokenly so.

It could probably use a Knowledge (religion) prereq or something of the like, but I'm not going to sweat it for the home campaign. ;)

Justin Alexander
http://www.thealexandrian.net