PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Martial defense against Magic help? (items, maneuvers, class features, feats, etc.)

Albanymusicfund
2021-04-01, 05:46 PM
Hi everyone I hope you're enjoying your day.

Recently, I played a game in which we were low level adventurers. I was a Warblade and my friend was a Wizard; we encountered a situation where the Wizard decided to use the spell color spray on me. Being that I was under 2 HD and failed my will save (it was pretty good for a martial character +2), I was knocked unconscious.

Now while my character sees him as a friend (or at the very least is friendly to him), I am afraid his character sees me as a threat. In-game my character was separated from the main party including the wizard. I hope to return and play with them again, but I am left with a question: if we assume that we both level at the same rate how do I keep up with the wizard's abilities in the long term? More specifically, how could I prepare to avoid an embarrassing situation like that again?

I will list the ones I know of, but I would appreciate more help!
-Bulwark of Antimagic: A +1 tower shield with a 1/day Anti-Magic Field. 27,580 GP. Draconomicon pg 118. (With the Animated shield property this becomes helpful)
-Moment of Perfect Mind from Tome of Battle
- Ring of Counterspell (DMG)
-Spellblade (PGtF)
-Mageslayer feat (this seems kind of lame though)

Any help is appreciated! (I already have five levels in Warblade but I don't know what level I will be if I return).

Fizban
2021-04-01, 06:06 PM
Step 1: make sure this player hasn't decided that you're a fun PvP target. If you're not, then they should be working on a legitimate way of in-story reversing whatever it is that makes "their character" view you as a threat.

After that- there's no easy fix for unconsciousness, but once you've got a few more levels and cash availability: you can get a Raptor's Mask from the Regalia of the Pheonix (Magic item Compendium) for immunity to blinding at 3,500gp, and take Quick Recovery (Lords of Madness) at your next feat to get an automatic reroll any time you're stunned or dazed at the cost of a move action if you succeed. These are generally useful things to begin with, and being able to ignore or mitigate allied disabling AoEs is quite handy.

But if they're just making up excuses to grief you under the pretense of "their character," they'll just pick up new spells you're not immune to faster than you can buy items and take feats to negate them.

Albanymusicfund
2021-04-01, 06:41 PM
Step 1: make sure this player hasn't decided that you're a fun PvP target. If you're not, then they should be working on a legitimate way of in-story reversing whatever it is that makes "their character" view you as a threat.

But if they're just making up excuses to grief you under the pretense of "their character," they'll just pick up new spells you're not immune to faster than you can buy items and take feats to negate them.

This a long-time friend so I, thankfully, don't think he's trying to grief. I've played other games with him, but we've never been adventurers together and both our characters are headstrong in different ways so the two have not been able to show their mutual respect. In character, my Warblade is appalled by magic and knowing that he has been debuffed many times (from enemy casters). He would want a way to stop that and make sure that the Wizard can't repeat a similar spell that cast on him one time.

Thank you very much for the suggestions! I will be sure to include them!

Goaty14
2021-04-01, 06:55 PM
The save-replacing maneuvers from Diamond Mind (ie Moment of Perfect Mind, as you mentioned) are particularly good and useful, but seeing as you're a Warblade, you should keep an eye out for-
Wait, what's that sound?
IRON.
HEART.
SUUUUUUUURGE!!!

As much as it's a meme/cheese, Iron Heart Surge is a particularly good maneuver for breaking out of spell effects that don't outright kill you, so I'd definitely recommend getting it when you qualify at level 5

That's all the advice I have, really

Albanymusicfund
2021-04-01, 07:16 PM
The save-replacing maneuvers from Diamond Mind (ie Moment of Perfect Mind, as you mentioned) are particularly good and useful, but seeing as you're a Warblade, you should keep an eye out for-
Wait, what's that sound?
IRON.
HEART.
SUUUUUUUURGE!!!

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOO THIS IS WHAT I NEEDED. Thank you homie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is a radical maneuver thank you again for bringing it to my attention!

ChudoJogurt
2021-04-04, 05:18 PM
Also Wall of Blades if your touch AC is not great to katana-block ray attacks and pesky metamagiked Orbs of Sound.

Finally if you're high enough initiator level, you can Martial Study yourself a Shadow Hand swift teleport action maneuver, to bypass walls and force ages and just close down distance quick.

Kelb_Panthera
2021-04-04, 05:30 PM
Also Wall of Blades if your touch AC is not great to katana-block ray attacks and pesky metamagiked Orbs of Sound.

Finally if you're high enough initiator level, you can Martial Study yourself a Shadow Hand swift teleport action maneuver, to bypass walls and force ages and just close down distance quick.

The shadow hand teleports are barely real teleports. You have to have both LoS and LoE to the target location and it has to be within 50 feet. You cannot bypass walls or forcecage with them. Good for crossing a deep chasm or moving from one hiding spot to another without having to cross the gap between but that's about it.

Albanymusicfund
2021-04-04, 05:45 PM

Touch AC is definitely a weakness of my character and I will utilize this well. I appreciate you telling me about this broski!

Albanymusicfund
2021-04-04, 05:47 PM
The shadow hand teleports are barely real teleports. You have to have both LoS and LoE to the target location and it has to be within 50 feet. You cannot bypass walls or forcecage with them. Good for crossing a deep chasm or moving from one hiding spot to another without having to cross the gap between but that's about it.

Sad to hear! It probably won't too great for my Warblade if it takes an additional feat to get that sadly! But thanks for letting me know! :smallcool:

Kelb_Panthera
2021-04-04, 07:39 PM
Touch AC is definitely a weakness of my character and I will utilize this well. I appreciate you telling me about this broski!

There's an an armor ability, ghostward, that adds your armor's enhancment bonus to your touch AC. Gets to be pretty important in mid and high levels. Also, always prioritize your ring of protection over your necklace of natural armor since the former applies to touch and flat-foot AC while the latter only applies to flat-foot.

Albanymusicfund
2021-04-04, 07:50 PM
There's an an armor ability, ghostward, that adds your armor's enhancment bonus to your touch AC. Gets to be pretty important in mid and high levels. Also, always prioritize your ring of protection over your necklace of natural armor since the former applies to touch and flat-foot AC while the latter only applies to flat-foot.

Very insightful! Thank you for your help very much! I'll definitely be using that then haha!