PDA

View Full Version : Increasing Effective Level for Wildshape

Zombulian
2021-04-01, 06:53 PM
Are there any feats or items that do this? I was just looking at Warshaper and thinking that it was a shame that it doesn't increase the HD cap for your available forms.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2021-04-01, 08:35 PM
The Trappings of the Beast set in CC, that's about it as far as I know. If you're making a Druid you're really better off just sticking to Druid. If you're making a Wild Shape Ranger/Master of Many Forms, you want to hit 12th level with those classes asap for War Troll shape and extraordinary abilities, and Warshaper comes after. If you're making a Divine Minion/Master of Many Forms, you've already got +9 levels from the template and shouldn't need anything extra.

Zombulian
2021-04-01, 08:53 PM
Yeah that was about my conclusion as well. 12 or 13 seems to be the golden HD count before monster HD really start to outpace usefulness. I was more curious than anything about if there was an analog for Practiced Spellcaster buried in some Dragon mag.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2021-04-01, 11:15 PM
I've got the old Crystalkeep pdf's, the feats doc gives a summary of every feat (at the time) including all the ones from dragon magazine. There's only three that pertain to wild shape: Nature's Fists and Photosynthesize in 343, and Savage Mobility in 326.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-04-02, 12:10 AM
Loyalty's Reward, from the Kingdoms of Kalamar official campaign setting, allows you to craft your own feat, so make one that boosts your effective druid level by +4 (up to your HD) for the purposes of wild shape (regarding size, type, and number of HD)? Obviously name it Practiced Wild Shape.

Bronk
2021-04-04, 03:57 PM
Are there any feats or items that do this? I was just looking at Warshaper and thinking that it was a shame that it doesn't increase the HD cap for your available forms.

There are a few items that do this... the Skin of Kaletor (Dragon 324) and the Wild Shape Amulet (Magic of Faerun) both give +4 untyped bonus to druid level, and the Beast Armor set (Complete Adventurer) gives +1. Due to the wording of the item abilities, none of those stack, and the Wild Shape Amulet won't give a boost past level 20.