PDA

View Full Version : Spellfire

Shas aia Toriia
2007-11-10, 11:28 AM
Is it possible to obtain spellfire from FR, and if so, how? Help is appreciated. :smallsmile:

Idea Man
2007-11-10, 12:20 PM
Yep, take the feat spellfire wielder. The only way to enjoy the power is to take the prestige class spellfire channeler from Magic of Faerun.

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-11-10, 10:13 PM
the real question is though, is it worth it?

CASTLEMIKE
2007-11-10, 10:25 PM
Yes, it's a DM approval feat like Leadership which gives a low level PC a lot of power with a decent constitution.

The Spellfire wielder feat, spellfire mechanics and the PRC Spellfire Channeler is in Magic of Faerun.

Lord_Butters_I
2007-11-10, 11:39 PM
There's an epic verison of Channeler in Players Guide to Faerun called Spellfire Hierophant.

AstralFire
2007-11-10, 11:48 PM
the real question is though, is it worth it?

IMO, no. The prestige class for the Spellfire Channeler is basically a subpar Warlock.

Warlock, the (power-wise) black sheep of arcane magic. Think about that.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-11-11, 12:06 AM
IMO, no. The prestige class for the Spellfire Channeler is basically a subpar Warlock.

I agree the PRCs are subpar but the feat itself isn't particularly at low levels where a PC can excede standard die/level damage capping limits with a good constitution.

AstralFire
2007-11-11, 12:11 AM
I agree the PRCs are subpar but the feat itself isn't particularly at low levels where a PC can excede standard die/level damage capping limits with a good constitution.

Speaking as somehow who used the feat before (in my first game, actually), the feat is pretty broken at low levels, and almost useless at high levels - never been a fan of feats with that kind of variable utility. So I don't think it really adds much to the game... tweaks to the Warlock do what needs to be done better.

AtomicKitKat
2007-11-11, 01:45 AM
I don't really remember what it does, but it basically lets you choose between blasting or healing.

AstralFire
2007-11-11, 01:53 AM
Spellfire healing is nigh-useless. IIRC, it's 2 per charge, 1d2+1 if you have the it-are-be-bad-horrible PrC.

Stam
2007-11-11, 02:32 AM
Spellfire's biggest downsides are that the spell you want to absorb has to be targeted at you, specifically...and that you have to ready an action to use it.

The first makes it useful in less situations. The second makes it useless. Stand there and give up your turn's action on the hope that the enemy spellcaster will choose you as the unlucky target of his Hold Person spell? No thanks. I'll get me a high will save and then get into his face.

AstralFire
2007-11-11, 02:34 AM
Spellfire's biggest downsides are that the spell you want to absorb has to be targeted at you, specifically...and that you have to ready an action to use it.

The first makes it useful in less situations. The second makes it useless.

Yep. It's useless as a defensive ability, and unless you want to work out a deal with a lot of casters in your party to suck up their energy levels every night...

Really, it'd be a ton better if you could absorb as an immediate action. That'd be a good revision, for starters.